Winter is Coming
Valkyrja
Hawky
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Villa vs. Raul? Empty Villa vs. Raul?

Post by Hawky Mon May 26, 2014 12:42 pm

The two-all time scorers for Spain's national team. Who was the better player and can any of them be considered amongst the top 20 (30) CFs of all time?

Please do not turn this into a Real fanboys vs. Barcelona fanboys discussion.
Hawky
Hawky
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Villa vs. Raul? Empty Re: Villa vs. Raul?

Post by Valkyrja Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Raul played his best football as a SS. He was different from Villa, and much better. One of the best finishers and the ultimate big game player. People tend to remember Raul after 2003 when he became mostly a poacher. This is still a dillema for me. But in 98-03, he was a complete player, hence the comparations with Di Stefano. He literally had no weakness. 10 in finishing, 8 in everything else. You could also see him as a super rich mans Thomas Muller.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Mon May 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Villa is underrated to an extent by many, played a part in helping Zaragoza win the CdR and Super cup back in 03-04, helped Valencia win the CdR in 07-08. Played a massive part in helping Barcelona win the league/CL in 10-11 and also contributed to Atelti winning the league and going into the CL final. Add in his contribution to the Euro 08 and WC 10.

I can't really say who's the better one as Raul has his own achievements and accomplishments, which are great feats.

If we go by accomplishments club and country I'd give it to Villa, if we go by individual accomplishments, it probably be kind of close, but I'd lean to Raul.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon May 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Raul played his best football as a SS. He was different from Villa, and much better. One of the best finishers and the ultimate big game player. People tend to remember Raul after 2003 when he became mostly a poacher. This is still a dillema for me. But in 98-03, he was a complete player, hence the comparations with Di Stefano. He literally had no weakness. 10 in finishing, 8 in everything else. You could also see him as a super rich mans Thomas Muller.

Pretty much agree with this.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon May 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Villa easily. Raul was overrated.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon May 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Gil wrote:Villa easily. Raul was overrated.

Raul was a genius. You obviously didn't see him play.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Raul had the luxury of having his career in a power house but that's not to take anything away from him

Villa has done well in every single club he's been in zaragoza, valencia, barca, and now atletico, also showed up for his national team when it mattered.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Raul was a genius. And I credit him as one of the people that made me fall in love with the game.

Gil and his retardation ruining every decent thread.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Mon May 26, 2014 3:44 pm

Club: Raul
NT: Villa

Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon May 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Gil wrote:Villa easily. Raul was overrated.
 :facepalm: 
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon May 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Raul played his best football as a SS. He was different from Villa, and much better. One of the best finishers and the ultimate big game player. People tend to remember Raul after 2003 when he became mostly a poacher. This is still a dillema for me. But in 98-03, he was a complete player, hence the comparations with Di Stefano. He literally had no weakness. 10 in finishing, 8 in everything else. You could also see him as a super rich mans Thomas Muller.

A super duper rich man's Thomas Muller. But yeah, pretty much this.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Villa was easily better and I can't believe people are trying to debate this lol. Villa is even more complete (and versatile) than Raul was and more prolific so I don't get the angle the fanboys are trying to play.

Stop trying to glorify the past.

Raul was a complete and utter failure for Spain. Villa helped lead Spain to 1 WC and 2 Euros and excelled even without a stacked team. Raul will go down as the bigger legend because of his longevity and consistency for the biggest club in the World but Villa was clearly more gifted.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 am

Gil wrote:Villa was easily better and I can't believe people are trying to debate this lol. Villa is even more complete (and versatile) than Raul was and more prolific so I don't get the angle the fanboys are trying to play.

Stop trying to glorify the past.

Raul was a complete and utter failure for Spain. Villa helped lead Spain to 1 WC and 2 Euros and excelled even without a stacked team. Raul will go down as the bigger legend because of his longevity and consistency for the biggest club in the World but Villa was clearly more gifted.

Pathetic. When Raul was in his prime, Spain's NT were in a bad period. They had no where near the talent they have today at disposal. Let alone the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi. He was basically their only hope. Villa more versatile and more complete than Raul ?

Btw, Villa wasn't in the squad in 2012.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue May 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Stop making excuses you pos.

World Cup 06 Squad
Iker Casillas
Míchel Salgado
Mariano Pernía
Carlos Marchena
Carles Puyol
David Albelda
Raúl (c)
Xavi
Fernando Torres
José Antonio Reyes
Luis García
Antonio López
Andrés Iniesta
Xabi Alonso
Sergio Ramos
Marcos Senna
Joaquín
Cesc Fàbregas
Santiago Cañizares
Juanito
David Villa
Pablo Pepe Reina

They were stacked in 06 when he went goalless.

And he was even worse in Euro 04. Finished 3rd in their group below Greece ffs while Raul went goalless...AGAIN.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue May 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Raul is massively overrated by some fans here just because of sentimental values..
i.e Valkyrja
talking to him about marcelo or raul, is as worthless as talking to harmonica about messi
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue May 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Donuts wrote:Raul is massively overrated by some fans here just because of sentimental values..
i.e Valkyrja
talking to him about marcelo or raul, is as worthless as talking to harmonica about messi

Yep. Raul was basically the Ryan Giggs of his era. Very good player who had amazing consistency & longevity but never truly elite. He was never in the class of the likes of Rivaldo, Henry, Shearer, R9, Shevchenko from the same era.

Hell, I'd take both Villa and Torres ahead of him in their respective primes without a second thought in my mind.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 27, 2014 1:53 pm

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHHAAHHAAHHAHHAHAHH rofl
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue May 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Gil wrote:Stop making excuses you pos.

World Cup 06 Squad
Iker Casillas
Míchel Salgado
Mariano Pernía
Carlos Marchena
Carles Puyol
David Albelda
Raúl (c)
Xavi
Fernando Torres
José Antonio Reyes
Luis García
Antonio López
Andrés Iniesta
Xabi Alonso
Sergio Ramos
Marcos Senna
Joaquín
Cesc Fàbregas
Santiago Cañizares
Juanito
David Villa
Pablo Pepe Reina

They were stacked in 06 when he went goalless.

And he was even worse in Euro 04. Finished 3rd in their group below Greece ffs while Raul went goalless...AGAIN.

As I said Raul's prime was in 98-2003. In 2004 he had his worst season ever.
Anyway, let's look at the squad: Puyol in his prime and Villa in good form, the rest were average and no where near at their peak. In 2006 Xabi was considered better than Xavi ffs. 21 y.o Iniesta, 19 y.o Fabregas, past it Salgado, 20 y.o Ramos etc. Nowhere near the squads they have had since 2008.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue May 27, 2014 2:49 pm

I would go with Raul , of course. Villa has always been a superb striker , with elements in his play that many of the best forwards in the world would be jealous of.

Yet he never had the wits Raul had , he never was the leader who inspired teammates to be on par with him , Villa has not been the striker which would condemn every signle fkn mistake opponents made into goals / gl scoring opportunities . If there was ever one man to take advantage of mistakes near the penalty area , that was Raul.

It's no coincidence already 2 posters said he was a genius. Incredibly efficient and intelligent , the Raul i remember was maybe lackluster in comparison to other , more flashy and exciting players , but when it had to do to winning games , he wasn't any worse than the rest of the best.

A great goalscorer , just like Villa . As for the NT , we do not have to invent the wheel once again.. Spain's issues are well documented , one Raul no matter how great player or on form , would not and could not change the fate of an entire NT .

Similarly , it wasn't Villa himself that changed the fate of Spain in these tournaments. It was a collective , well executed effort by the entire team and a share of the same belief that they were more than worthy to reach these heights. The rise of Barcelona and the new found cohesiveness of the group of Spain made their success reality , it was certainly not just a matter of Raul or Villa or a striker in general lines.

I give it to Raul , which i always admired and i have always rated , amongst other great players of his time. Having that said , Villa i rate very close to him though with a different view , but still , any great striker who's been compared to Raul and with good arguements to go with , is an immense honour for that player.

Villa won bigger at the international stage , but that's just something you cannot use , as your big weapon at least , against Raul. Different Spain then . Raul was one of these players that knew football . Understood this game to the fullest. Villa has been more complete as a player , yet some of the things Raul has managed in his carreer at Real and even Schalke , let's not forget , are unforgetable.

It's been a long time since then , but i think the period between 2000-2003 was the best Raul we saw , at least the best Raul i saw , it may well be otherwise. Villa has been fantastic for a long time now , if you ask me he still is , but Raul has been the bigger player in his career , if that's the word . imo always.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue May 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Valkyrja wrote: In 2006 Xabi was considered better than Xavi ffs. .

Only by morons.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 27, 2014 3:59 pm

The Franchise wrote:

Only by morons.

Yeah Xavi hadn't done anything special until he was 28 or so. So gtfo.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm

McAgger wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

Only by morons.

Yeah Xavi hadn't done anything special until he was 28 or so. So gtfo.

What does doing anything special mean? Xavi was clearly a better player. I'm sorry but I don't get this comment from you McFagger.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm

28 year old Xavi was being schooled around by disinterested-past-it Guti. Laughing

Only when Guardiola came did Xavi really reach that prime level. Before that Xabi shat on him. You *bleep* idiot jibs.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue May 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Laughing 
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 27, 2014 4:16 pm

McAgger wrote:28 year old Xavi was being schooled around by disinterested-past-it Guti. Laughing

Only when Guardiola came did Xavi really reach that prime level. Before that Xabi shat on him. You *bleep* idiot jibs.

What are you on about? So Guardiola was coach when Xavi was the best player in the Euros. So when you make a player the centre of the team they don't play better? A bit of common sense here mate. Xavi started being the centre. Obviously as a cm if you have less touches you have less influence. I suppose Messi is worse than Higuain seeing as Pipita was part of the Madrid team that raped Barcelona pre Pep. What nonsense.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next