Post by Sri Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:00 am

Sad 

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Remembering Arshavin Empty Re: Remembering Arshavin

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:31 am

but also a timely reminder to not get swept up in the hype players who perform at this world cup.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:59 am

Peccadillo wrote:but also a timely reminder to not get swept up in the hype players who perform at this world cup.

I do think that he delivered. He had off form season, and we shipped him out. He did his share to win us games single handedly. He was hardly a Asamoah Gyan, or Diof type of player. lets be real.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 am

he delivered for the first half of the first season. then he slipped into the abyss.
he was not worth 17mil at the time. I think the fact we were unwilling to meet his wage demands contributed to him not caring, but you can't deny that he didn't live up to expectations after his world cup performances.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 am

Actually, he was really good the first couple of seasons. His last couple were, well, meh. He just didn't have the legs any more and he just lost interest. (The quality of the team he joined was lightyears ahead of what we had in 2010-12).

2 performances that I will never forget.

Remembering Arshavin Andrei-arshavin_1389634c

Remembering Arshavin 372826-arsenal-midfielder-andrey-arshavin-celebrates

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:22 am

Arshavin didn't play at a World Cup; it was his Euro 2008 performances that put him in the limelight and we didn't sign him the summer afterwards. We gave it a good few months before deciding to bring him because, well, we needed a player of his ability at that time.

His first season was outstanding, and his second season was good as well. Third season he started off well but faded with the rest of the team, and then from that point onwards he just never recaptured the sort of form that had us believing he was a world class player. Immensely talented but incredibly inconsistent, and I don't think he enjoyed the tougher times. I remember Dick Advocaat calling him a "30 minute player", who basically does eff all but for a short period where he just comes to life.

Shame he never found consistency with us, really.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 am

Yup, we signed him in January.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:57 pm

sorry my bad - didn't put much thought into that. It was Euro '08...
but you must agree his performances in the tournament were a vital factor in the decision to sign him. And that he did not live up to expectations that arose from those performances.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Umm.. I disagree.. While fan expectations may have sky rocketed on the basis of his form then, I am pretty sure that Wenger or scouting teams would have analyzed him much more before deciding to buy him..

Besides, if there are 2 things that we refuse to acknowledge, they are the beaten to death points about (a) national performances for cups/friendlies not being the same as a gruelling season for a club, and (b) form during a summer event being likelier to last for a few weeks, rather than lasting a whole gruelling season. That is to say, national tournaments are not a very good yardstick to judge what a player can/will contribute at a club level. It's so painfully obvious, and yet, so few of us accept and acknowledge it!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 pm

One of the most talented players I have ever seen play for Arsenal, just din't have the desire and the consistency to be great. Also remember games where he was knackered after 30 mins  Laughing 
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:47 pm

One of the most talented players we have ever had. He was by no means a flop or anywhere close. He did what we brought him for and more. A great player who unfortunately didn't have the ending he deserved.

Will always remember him fondly Thumbs up

Even his last appearance resulted in an assist for Henry :bow:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:55 am

I think to call him one of our most talented ever is massively overstating it.

I wasn't his biggest fan if you cant tell. He had a good start, but it was followed by massive inconsistencies. Yes he was brilliant at times - 4 goals at Anfield springs to mind.. but by-in-large he was disappointing.. for me anyway. And it came down to his attitude, not his talent, that's what pisses me off more about him.

Sri, I take your point that I'm not acknowledging the months of scouting prior to signing him. My hands are up.. saying that we signed him because of Euros was dumb.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 am

5 years from now. Remembering Balotelli
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:16 am

Absolutely loved this guy, will always remember him for his goal against Barcelona, that was one of the proudest moments of my life.

When he scored that goal I was walking on clouds, thank you my little Russian Gunner.Proud
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:03 am

When I was growing up in Russia Arshavin was by far away my favorite local player. The trio of Arshavin, Kerzhakov, and Bystrov at Zenit when they were in their early 20s was jizz worthy. I can't believe at one point in my life I used to actually have a fond spot for Zenit Laughing They used to be the romantic club of Russia before all the money and the success.

He's regarded as a hero in Russian football. Probably the most talented player Russia has ever had since USSR broke down alongside Mostovoi in terms pure footballing talent. His work ethic and desire didn't do his talents justice which is why a lot of other players achieved greater success with NT.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 am

I never understood why Wenger was so hesitant to put Arshavin in the centre. He was clearly not a winger. Really felt like a waste of a career. He could have contributed a lot more in his last 2 seasons had we been more tactically flexible instead of putting round pegs in square holes.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:35 am

You know the "Arshavin should've played centrally" argument is the same as Podolski's. It's an excuse for their poor performances in positions which they've played before and performed regularly.

In fact I think Podolski and Arshavin are quite similar, not in style of play but in what they bring to Arsenal. Arshavin got a lot of assists and goals against weaker opposition while missing for 75% of time in the rest of the games and in the end of the season one could say "decent return, same with Podolski.

My best memory from Arshavin is obviously his goal vs Barcelona, that was an amazing moment! But what I will also not forget is his 10 minute cameo against Chelsea in Stamford Bridge after missing a whole season, he was fat, slow, useless and Wenger brought him on to change the game, it was pure comedy to watch him try to run past Ivanovic, except for us it was painful rather than funny because we were losing.... that was great banter from Arsene Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Podolski has actually played centrally a number of times and has usually sucked. Arshavin played centrally once if I recall. It was some league cup/FA cup game where Park was playing lone striker with Arshavin behind. He actually played well I thought.

Another great Arshavin game was that 7-5 victory against Reading. He already lost his place in the team, was so terrible and got so much criticism. But played the entire 120 mins, started multiple attacks and played a part in the winning goal.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:59 pm

ok a controversial statement here... apart from Pires, I have not seen any one more talented than Arshavin , who played in that wide position.
IICRC, Arshavin's drive went down after Russia failed to make the WC . The failure of his country was put entirely on his shoulders. He had bust ups with Russian media. When he came back, he sort of never recovered from that incident I feel.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Laughing
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:ok a controversial statement here... apart from Pires, I have not seen any one more talented than Arshavin , who played in that wide position.
IICRC, Arshavin's drive went down after Russia failed to make the WC . The failure of his country was put entirely on his shoulders. He had bust ups with Russian media. When he came back, he sort of never recovered from that incident I feel.

Reyes was more talented than Arshavin but like he lacked the mental fortitude to be great as well.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:02 am

Arshavin destroying Liverpool was one of the most enjoyable things i've ever watched from a player outside of United....for obvious reasons Laughing
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:21 am

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:ok a controversial statement here... apart from Pires, I have not seen any one more talented than Arshavin , who played in that wide position.

Fully agree with this. Arshavin was immensely talented. In many ways he was the Russian Cassano.

Reyes vs Arshavin is difficult though. We got Arshavin in his prime while Reyes was still a prodigy. Arshavin could still have become even better if Arsene had worked with him since he was as young as Reyes. We will never know though.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:24 am

Funny thing about that game was that Arshavin was anonymous for the whole game... yet still somehow scored four goals. And every time he scored, his expression just read "lol what just happened".

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next