Eman
Kaladin
Forza
Shed
beatrixasdfghjk.
16 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Talk About Whatever Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Official Talk About Whatever Thread

Post by fatman123 Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:38 am

In4 SBW v Bulldogs grand final

fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The Official Talk About Whatever Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Official Talk About Whatever Thread

Post by CBarca Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 am

What's different about college in the US compared to Australia btw? ("US college life sounds like a blast")
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:33 am

CBarca wrote:What's different about college in the US compared to Australia btw? ("US college life sounds like a blast")

In Australia, people tend to (but don't always) study in the same city that they went to high school. I think there are fairly good universities in each state. Often students don't end up moving across the country away from their family to a university town. And you don't necessarily stay in campus accommodation with other students, especially if you already have a place. Students go into university, study for a few hours, and leave.

In terms of what you study, you get a score out of 100 at the end of high school and that (along with the subjects you did in final year) determines which university degrees you can potentially get into. There is no need to do a pre-degree at most universities. Even law and medicine can be started the year after you finish high school.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:32 pm

And uni tuition doesnt cost five billion trillion million zillion thousand dollars in Australia (yet)
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't actually live on college so I can't say much about it, but it doesn't seem anything like in the movies .. generally you get your own room, albeit it's pretty small. College provides food, there are occaaaaaaasional college events, but apart from that .. not much of a partying scene, but that might just be my friends .-.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:48 pm

fatman123 wrote:And uni tuition doesnt cost five billion trillion million zillion thousand dollars in Australia (yet)

good point
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:24 pm

University life really is subjective. For instance at my school, there is barely any parties on campus pretty much all of the big parties are broken in to two categories: house parties (usually upperclassmen/softmores) or bars. There is a "freshman bar" that will let you in if you're 18 (which I sometimes go to) and there is a couple of other bars for everyone else. Im in NYC so there are bars pretty much everywhere.

Then you have the large state university life. For example, UCONN, UPENN, Michigan State, Florida State, etc. Those are the colleges with a pretty huge party scene. They all have fraternity's and sorority's on campus which pretty much guarantees on campus drinking. These types of parties and groups are known as "Greek Life".

CB, do you have anything to add to this? What about your school?
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:14 pm

Also, drinking age is 18 here.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:06 am

Is the college experience skewed to the wealthy as they don't need to worry about working whilst at college?

Personally i don't think it's all it looks to be, i'd rather do what i did here then have 2 jobs during uni, live away from, walk away with a $100,000 loan and leave with a shit opportunity at getting a decent job.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:36 am

Yep, don't know of any fraternity/sororities here.
College here is .. people who live away from home for uni because they have to.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:52 am

Juveman wrote:University life really is subjective. For instance at my school, there is barely any parties on campus pretty much all of the big parties are broken in to two categories: house parties (usually upperclassmen/softmores) or bars. There is a "freshman bar" that will let you in if you're 18 (which I sometimes go to) and there is a couple of other bars for everyone else. Im in NYC so there are bars pretty much everywhere.

How does that pos bar stay open? Are you saying they let you in but don't give you drinks, or do they give 18 year olds drinks?

Parties are how you describe them Juveman but we have a lot of frat parties here as well, that's the only thing I would really add. The bar scene is for a much older demographic as well.

Almost everybody here lives on campus- Freshman in dorms, sophomores and up typically in apartments/frat houses that are on campus.

Anyway, Madison has a lot of parties yeah... Wisconsin is about a bad a state as they come in terms of drinking, so drinking at college here is basically just something that people do. IIRC Madison is a top 20-if not top 15 or top 10 party school in the US. Asked someone about going out, he texted like 3 people and had an address for a party in 3 minutes.

Drinking age obviously 21 but I've heard (and in my newness to this whole university life, can't confirm) that cops are very lenient with drinking, and won't hand out a bunch of underage citations when they break up a party. My friend actually was involved in an incident like this (he's in a frat and was with some frat guys) and the cop didn't cite any of them because he was once in a frat and "understood what it was like". All of this is probably why there is such a bad drinking problem in Wisconsin rofl

So you can just do random courses without a degree...

I think we might have had a misunderstanding. If you're asking what degree I'm getting, I'm getting a bachelor of science degree. If you're asking what major I am...

if you were talking about major:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 am

Bachelor of Science Proud

Major in Geology ffs Proud
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 am

Major in marketing you scrubs, marketers are like blondes; we have more fun
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 am

Geologists are like that one Uncle we all have, We're always drunk. Proud
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:09 am

But you don't drink scratch
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 am

Don't need to because I am forever drunk Proud
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 am

CBarca wrote:
Juveman wrote:University life really is subjective. For instance at my school, there is barely any parties on campus pretty much all of the big parties are broken in to two categories: house parties (usually upperclassmen/softmores) or bars. There is a "freshman bar" that will let you in if you're 18 (which I sometimes go to) and there is a couple of other bars for everyone else. Im in NYC so there are bars pretty much everywhere.

How does that pos bar stay open? Are you saying they let you in but don't give you drinks, or do they give 18 year olds drinks?

Parties are how you describe them Juveman but we have a lot of frat parties here as well, that's the only thing I would really add. The bar scene is for a much older demographic as well.

Almost everybody here lives on campus- Freshman in dorms, sophomores and up typically in apartments/frat houses that are on campus.

Anyway, Madison has a lot of parties yeah... Wisconsin is about a bad a state as they come in terms of drinking, so drinking at college here is basically just something that people do. IIRC Madison is a top 20-if not top 15 or top 10 party school in the US. Asked someone about going out, he texted like 3 people and had an address for a party in 3 minutes.

Drinking age obviously 21 but I've heard (and in my newness to this whole university life, can't confirm) that cops are very lenient with drinking, and won't hand out a bunch of underage citations when they break up a party. My friend actually was involved in an incident like this (he's in a frat and was with some frat guys) and the cop didn't cite any of them because he was once in a frat and "understood what it was like". All of this is probably why there is such a bad drinking problem in Wisconsin rofl

So you can just do random courses without a degree...

I think we might have had a misunderstanding. If you're asking what degree I'm getting, I'm getting a bachelor of science degree. If you're asking what major I am...

if you were talking about major:

The freshman bar lets you in with a school ID and a state ID. If you are 18, you are let in and you can have any drinks you want Laughing

My schools policy on drinking is basically we would rather have our students in a bar than getting drinks elsewhere. They know we are going to drink, and since they cant stop us they can only do damage control. So TLDR, I can get into a bar and drink Laughing
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:17 am

Dat system Proud
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:19 am

Currently doing music history intro studying and essay at 2 AM, not the best of ideas
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:36 am

Major in maths, easiest thing you'll ever do Proud.
Well there are many more people renting units than on college .. personally only know two or three people who aaaaactually live on campus.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by isignedupjusttoseesigs Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:44 pm

pride of the league
isignedupjusttoseesigs
isignedupjusttoseesigs
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:24 pm

That game made me sick, really hope that grub Isaac Luke misses the grand final
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Wtf Laughing

Guess that's not really much different than the police being really lenient about drinking here, though. In fact that's probably a better idea really Laughing

also gtfo beatrix math is by far my worst subject. Can't wait to get all of the math classes I need done so that I never have to do a math class again.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:52 am

Should I watch the AFL grand final?

Nah Laughing
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:53 am

Watched three minutes, got angry at some Swan being a scrub, turned it off.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:03 am

Laughing
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next