Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar...

+12
RealGunner
windkick
Onyx
B-Mac
RED
BarrileteCosmico
farfan
Freeza
UnitedInRed
MaraVilla
Hawky
gnrfan
16 posters

Go down

Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar... Empty Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar...

Post by gnrfan Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 pm

So i was at the local pub the other day when a bunch of guys, including a bar ca fan, were ribbing a utd supporter about the sunderland match. The utd guy got pissed and started yelling that utd is the biggest club in the world, most supported, etc. while barca is in a 2 horse league... the barca fan laughed and told him utd are small fry, and that NO SINGLE UTD PLAYER would get into an all time barca xi. The utd fan started throwing a fit and throwing out various names(ie keane giggs best) for which the barca fan kept replying with a better player. At the end the utd fan was crying and seething and they almost came to blows...So I was just wondering ur thoughts...is the barca fan correct in that utd are small fry in terms of historically great players?
gnrfan
gnrfan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar... Empty Re: Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar...

Post by Hawky Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 pm

Well... if we're talking strictly from an all time first XI point of view... the Barca fan is probably right.

Ronaldo > Best
Maradona > Charlton
etc.

However, an all time XI should not take into account only the names (aka how good was a player), but also how he performed for that team - for example Ronaldo only spent a year in Barcelona and I doubt that he will make a fan's all time XI.

Tricky subject either way you put it. I am a Barcelona fan and some of the best players in history played here, but one could argue that the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Charlton, Best or Bryan Robson also deserve a shout to be considered great players.
Hawky
Hawky
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar... Empty Re: Interesting argument between barca and utd fan at the bar...

Post by MaraVilla Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm

was just a bit of banter between myself and cyberman.

MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by UnitedInRed Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm

George Best would destroy anyone from a all time Barca team in 1 versus 1.
UnitedInRed
UnitedInRed
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:31 pm

Schmeichel could probably make a solid case, at least in modern times. Best GK I have ever seen. It's hard to say though. Scholes was legit world class through many years, and could make a case from what I've seen, but I'm really limited about Barca from before 99, and even less from before the 90's where I have seen nothing except NT football and Champions League matches.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:36 pm

best and ronaldo would walk into any barça 11.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm

But Ronaldo played for Barça, not United hmm
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 pm

4dfoot's best elevens:

http://www.4dfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ManUtd.jpg

http://www.4dfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Barca4Dfoot1.jpg
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Tell the truth OP, you made that story up just to shoehorn this debate.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:10 pm

Tbh 95% of this forum never saw United's legends play
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Let's just say Barca did have a superior group of players, however having a superior group of players doesn't always mean the team is better.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Silly arguement. I can't really comment on the Utd legends, as i didn't see the majority of them play, but i can say they have had some outstanding talent that are absolute legends (regardless of if they would walk in to our all time 11 or not, who cares)

I think the interesting position would be the left wing, Ronaldinho vs Ronaldo; or would it be Best or Giggs? Like I said, I'm not an expert on the the Utd group. Does Utd even consider Ronaldo as an all time 11 player?
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Ronaldo was better than Giggs and on par with Cantona if not better IMO.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 pm

This is a hard one. I mean you really have to manage how you are judging these players and what makes one player better than the other.

For me it's hard to put any of the United players in the team because 1)For the most recent generation that have come down to being shells of themselves or have retired all together I just can't put Giggs or Scholes over Xavi or Iniesta. And Iniesta doesn't even make some of the all time great teams plus he still has a couple years of great football left in him plus you have what they accomplished with the Spanish national team as well.

2) I can't put Vidic over Puyol because for my money Puyol is the most underrated defenders/leaders of all time and should be right up there with the best defenders ever. He has all the numbers and trophies for club and country to back it up as well. 3)A lot of these guys in the current generation played a massive part in the best club and record setting national teams of all time.

I mean if you just look at some of the players left out of the starting 11 for Barca it's insane. Do you consider Maradona, Ronaldo as there stays were brief?

For me at the end of his career Ronaldo will be the best player who ever played for United but is he a straight swap for Messi who I think is a better player.

It's a good argument but United may get 1-2 guys in the team and that's pushing it. It's not slight on United but the depth of all time great players Barca have is really a joke.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BORUSSIA!! Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:51 pm

I always thought this of united. They have many legends for their club but not many are seen as football legends.

Barca have had many like cryuff, maradona, messi, iniesta, laudrup, xavi, ronaldo, romario, rivaldo, ronaldinho, henry, suarez (old one), eto'o and possibly some others i've missed. All of these players were ballon d'or winners or runners up or got third place and all of them had some type of international football success as well.

You really can't think of many united players at all to create a list like that.

BORUSSIA!!
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:39 am

messi-kabala-ronaldinho-rivaldo-iniesta-stoichkov-cruyff-laudrup
roy keane-boby charlton-erik cantona-beckham-cr7-best-scholes-giggs

so The Barcelona fan was wrong to make that claim but again I for example really liked Roy Keane as a player and it happens that De rossi chose his number inspired by him(N16) and i never watched cruyff. Stoichkov and laudrup were great players too but still i turn to fave Manchester United in that comparison
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 am

This is my all time 11 based on success in a barca shirt..

------------------------Zubi
Albert Ferrer-----Puyol---------Koeman-----Sergi Barjuán
------------------Xavi------Guardiola
----------------------Cruyff
-----Messi---------Cesar Rodriguez--------Ronaldinho

I'd say Man U all time 11 could probably beat our players in the back but the rest is no contest...

if it were a popularity contest

----------------------Zubi
------Puyol---------Koeman-------Joan Segarra
---------------Xavi---------Pep
----Messi-----------Cruyff----------Ronaldinho
------------Maradona----Ronaldo
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down