McAgger
Jonathan28
zigra
urbaNRoots
BarrileteCosmico
25 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 28 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:53 am

Manderly will be in Season 6, no?

I think they'll have him intercept Reek and Sansa - thus informing him of Rickon and Bran's survival as I don't believe that mute servant was in the show - and then Davos heading south in the hope that Stannis has survived. Opposed to Bolton, he will send news of Davos' death but really send him to find Rickon, making use of his skill as a sailor.

The motivations are far less obvious in this scenario however. Without Stannis in the background as a powerful force capable of defeating the Boltons and establishing Rickon in Winterfell, why go to any of this trouble? Indeed, with Sansa in his possession it's not even vitally urgent that a rescue mission be launched for the boys, beyond his strong loyalty to the Starks. Granted they have the better claim but it's a truly watered down version of the Great Northern Conspiracy.

dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 28 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:11 am

Can we hope for Frey Pies if Manderly is in season 6? Sad

But yea I agree with that.

Despite little finger wanting to take the Iron throne for himself, I think he will be given the Stannis role in the books as the savior of the north. He can establish Rickon as the rightful Lord of winterfell.

They won't do the great northern conspiracy unless they rush it in one season. There has been no development on that at all and neither there are any characters from it in the show, yet.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:11 am

M99 wrote:Guys if you did not, you have to read this theory. My favorite theory by far, 100% convinced it will be true.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/30mat2/spoilers_all_ddt_a_neverbeforeseen_theory/

You all laughed at the theory.

GRRM told a story about how he used to ask Professors in Northwestern University whether he could write a short story instead of a term paper (he was actually writing stories on the side and trying to sell them in magazines, sci-fi and non-sci-fi). One Professor for the Scandinavian course he was taking agreed and he came up with a short historical fiction story on which he got an “A.” 20 years later, he rewrote that story and included a time-traveling dwarf and sold it to “Omni” for thousands of dollars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/3byzp6/spoilers_all_everything_i_learned_from_george_r_r/
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Ah I just thought up a new tinfoil theory.

He is a man of the Night's Watch, she thought, as he sang about some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead.

This is from Arya's chapter in AFFC where she kills Daeron for deserting. We know Ashara threw herself from the tower. Her stupid prince was dead...sounds like Rhaegar. Oh wow, Dante is right is what I initially thought. But then I remembered Dany not being Aerys and Rhaella's is almost logistically impossible. But then I remembered Aegon. Then I remembered Septa Lemore. You know where I am going with this. Aegon is the bastard son of Rhaegar and Ashara Dayne. Ashara is raising her son under the guise of his septa and Varys lied to Jon Con about him because...

Oh God I really need a new book.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 pm

We all need it for our own sanity...

Really hope TWoW crashes some theories which people take seriously like the High Septon = Howland Reed Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Nah, that theory is down the gutter now.

Howland Reed is most likely with Rickon
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:34 pm

What most interests me is the fate of Aegon tbh. I actually don't want him to die doesn't matter if he is legit or not.

We can very well get a new all out war with:
North behind Sansa/Stannis,
Aegon leading from Dorne
Highgarden splitting from lannisters after Kevan's death and Cersei regaining control
Cersei's counter attack
Daenerys leading the charge at some point in the next 40 years.
White walkers from the north being Lead by Jon (still hoping for this)
Faceless Men going after Daenerys

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:50 pm

RealGunner wrote:Nah, that theory is down the gutter now.

Howland Reed is most likely with Rickon

What makes you think he is on Skaagos hmm

I personally think he is on his keep in Greywater Watch with Maege Mormont and Glabart Glover. It's possible that Robb's will naming Jon his heir is there too. Either that or he is the Hooded Man in Winterfell.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:56 pm

Yea that makes more sense tbh. Wonder how Lady stoneheart will react when she finds out Robb named Jon his heir Proud Wish she had emotions ffs.

I was just thinking that we haven't heard from Reed in any of the books so he has to be somewhere remote or some place GRRM will introduce later on as he should with Rickon's place.

He seems too old to be the hooded man though. It's definitely someone who is familiar with Winterfell/North. Benjen IMO or Blackfish.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 am

He is not that old actually. He is younger than Ned and Ned Stark was 35 when AGOT starts.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:22 pm

I've been doing a bit of reading on the asoiaf wiki mainly about Robert's rebellion. What I don't get is why there were 3 kingsguard at the Tower of Joy "protecting" Lyanna Stark. You're fighting a war against the rebellion, don't you think having three of the best swordsmen in all of Westeros would have been useful at your most important battle (battle of the trident)? Or at least back at Kings Landing protecting the king? I kind of feel the Kingsguard was kind of wasted during the Rebellion and only fought at the very end. Imagine if it was Ser Arthur Dayne protecting Elia Martell when Gregor Clegane attacked.

Do you think the outcome of the Rebellion would have been different had the Kingsguard been used in a more important manner?
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 pm

It could have made a difference no doubt, Rhaegar was not a war leader and kinda underestimated Robert because of his smaller army, maybe with the Lord Commander there the loyalists might have. Butterfly effects and all that.

There is an explanation for why the Kingsguard are at the Tower of Joy instead of the battlefield if you are familiar with the R+L=J theory.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:37 pm

I really dislike Robert for what he did to Rhaegar tbh

I doubt Rhaegar even wanted to fight.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:28 am

I think we are supposed to like Rhaegar but I just can't. Man caused a savage war because of a damn prophecy.

Robert is a douchebag no doubt but he comes off in a good light compared to Rhaegar.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:42 am

The details are murky. Rhaegar supposedly kidnapped Lyanna but I think she ran off quite willingly with him. War was caused because Aerys killed Brandon and Rickard and then demanded the heads of Robert and Ned from Jon Arryn. And I don't see what other choice Robert had besides killing Rhaegar. It was a one on one fight and Rhaegar was one of the best warriors of the Seven Kingdoms. He managed to heavily wound Robert before dying. That's why Ned had to march alone to King's Landing with the army.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:18 am

Even if R+L=J is true, and J is the "prince that was promised", I still feel it was stupid to have 3 kingsguard, especially the best swordsman in all of Westeros, in basically the middle of nowhere instead of either at Kings Landing or Battle of the Trident. Was Rhaegar not concerned with protecting you know, his other children? What about the whole "three headed dragon" thing? Kind of useless to protect "one head" while leaving the other "two heads" to die.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Rhaegar trusted Jaime with his other children's lives. Jaime literally has nightmares about it in the books.

Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark. "I left my wife and children in your hands."

"I never thought he'd hurt them." Jaime's sword was burning less brightly now. "I was with the king . . . "
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Jaime is probably one of the most complex characters. Oneo f GRRM's genius inventions. Someone who saved the realm is also someone who nearly killed a kid for love. Then falling in love with Brienne.

No idea how he is going to save himself from Catelyn. Brienne needs to rescue him somehow. Would be the worst ending of all time for a character if he gets hanged by her.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 am

Have you guys read the lady dustin theory?

If not, really worth a read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/3c99ri/spoilers_all_connecting_the_dots_on_lady_dustin/

I'm convinced
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:35 pm

M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:08 pm

I laughed for like 5 minutes straight at the ending Laughing

So where does everyone stand on R+L=J? As far as I can see there are several stands one can take on the theory and its implication:

1. R+L=J is false
2. R+L=J is true, J is a Targ bastard and he will be unable to prove it to the larger populace
3. R+L=J is true, J is a Targ bastard and he will be able to prove it to the larger populace
4. R+L=J is true, J is a Targ prince and possible heir to the throne but he will not be able to prove this
5. R+L=J is true, J is a Targ prince and possible heir to the throne and he will be able to prove it to the larger populace

For the longest time I considered myself a 3 but now I'm starting to shift towards a 4 or 5.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:17 pm

3 or 5.

I just can't decide if he's Rhaegar's bastard or his true born son.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 pm

Argument for trueborn: R+L possibly got married under the weirwood tree, the only explanation for why 3 kingsguard were stationed at the tower of joy is if they were guarding the heir/king (something that the dialogue alludes to), R wanted this child to be a head of the dragon so legitimizing him makes sense, Targs are known polygamists.

Arguments against trueborn: There is no evidence of a wedding, even if they did get married that doesn't mean it will be accepted by Westerosi society (last time a Targ tried to practice polygamy Westeros almost raised up against him) and the 2nd marriage would not be recognized by the septons or old gods, making Jon the heir to the throne would be too cliche for GRRM and it's hard to see how Jon would make a play for the throne.

Am I missing any important points?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:41 pm

You forget the part of Rhaeger=Benjen
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:42 pm

I don't see how incest changes anything
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Argument for trueborn: The amount of times Jon is called a King (ex. Mormont's raven etc)

Argument for bastard: Polygamy was not allowed by the law of the seven, so even if Rhaegar married Lyanna, their marriage is invalid and Jon remains a bastard.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next