Valkyrja
halamadrid2
Freeza
Hapless_Hans
Mr Nick09
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's the best midfield in footy nowadays - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the best midfield in footy nowadays

Post by free_cat Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 am

Busquets - Iniesta - Rakitic

Doesn't really get any better than FC Barcelona.

free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

What's the best midfield in footy nowadays - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the best midfield in footy nowadays

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Depends on how theoretical these theory-wars are; the best midfield I can currently think of is always injured, so it's probably the Barca one because it verifiably works.

Without injuries, Germany is probably the team that could field the most generally competent allround midfield.

It's really infuriating with injury spells in major teams these days though, as PSG, Juve, Arsenal, Real, etc etc could probably compete... Hell, even United should be great on paper.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:07 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Depends on how theoretical these theory-wars are; the best midfield I can currently think of is always injured, so it's probably the Barca one because it verifiably works.

Without injuries, Germany is probably the team that could field the most generally competent allround midfield.

It's really infuriating with injury spells in major teams these days though, as PSG, Juve, Arsenal, Real, etc etc could probably compete... Hell, even United should be great on paper.

Germany midfield better than Barça's?

Bender - Ozil - Schweinsteiger? Or which combination?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Matuidi is world class, one of the best b2b there is. Ridiculous engine. Pogba-Verratti-Matuidi could work tbh.

Choosing the best midfield isn't as easy as it was a few years ago, when Barca's trio was indisputably the best by far.

Matuidi is too higly rated. Dude is kind of a donkey. French Keita.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:58 pm

free_cat wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:Depends on how theoretical these theory-wars are; the best midfield I can currently think of is always injured, so it's probably the Barca one because it verifiably works.

Germany midfield better than Barça's?

Bender - Ozil - Schweinsteiger? Or which combination?

Gündogan - Kroos - Schweinsteiger;
though depending on form, Götze or Özil might have their place there.
But there exactly you see why I prefaced my statement with it depends on how theoretical we're talking, because on current form, pretty much only Gündogan deserves to be mentioned in a best anything, and he's only come back recently.

So really depends. Barca has a functioning trio right now that click. Others have been hampered by injury, like Bayern.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:04 pm

free_cat wrote:

Unfair to Matuidi . His style and best traits may differ compared to what's mostly praised in midfielders nowadays , nevertheless he ain't no kind of a donkey player in my humble opinion. Dude's certainly one of the most clutch , no nonsense midfielders out there and offers both reliability , balance and critically needed athleticism into Paris' midfield and overall play , a different kind of response when needed , if you may . He knows to leave the fancy stuff to the better players of his team and still manages to be a valuable player next to them anyway . What Matuidi does is making sure the best players in his team have a chance to impact the game and under that light , Matuidi does a damn fine job , if i may be so bold .

Pretty much the unsung hero at PSG taking into account their key players , but the case remains. Doesn't make him any kind of a donkey player , say because he won't necessarily do what Verratti does , especially when he's one of the reasons PSGs midfield is so balanced . And honestly , he's no pushover in attack either? I don't think Matuidi is at all 'more legs than brains' . It's just the legs part is damn impressive , doesn't make the other part poor or what have you.

He's for the most part decent at retaining the ball under pressure , doesn't complicate things on the counter and he's a beast in transition . And mentality wise , the lad is impressive . Does not fear challenges , even from a young age. Lacks in the refined sense of playing the ball , but he's definitely not poor at it either. And he definitely seems better season in season out . I am not at all following PSG but each season onward Matuidi manages to look better and better to me.

You want to check out real donkeys , check Felipe Melo and Poli out . Of the best examples out there . More legs than brains and stubborn trying things they aren't good at . Not sure what even Keita has in common with them , Keita was a smart player , unlucky to be limited on the technical aspect , favored by his physique and adaptability . All things considered a decent midfielder , if not a very late bloomer to be respected more nowadays . Donkey players wish they were Keita , actually , let alone Matuidi .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Dante wrote:
free_cat wrote:

Unfair to Matuidi . His style and best traits may differ compared to what's mostly praised in midfielders nowadays , nevertheless he ain't no kind of a donkey player in my humble opinion. Dude's certainly one of the most clutch , no nonsense midfielders out there and offers both reliability , balance and critically needed athleticism into Paris' midfield and overall play , a different kind of response when needed , if you may . He knows to leave the fancy stuff to the better players of his team and still manages to be a valuable player next to them anyway . What Matuidi does is making sure the best players in his team have a chance to impact the game and under that light , Matuidi does a damn fine job , if i may be so bold .

Pretty much the unsung hero at PSG taking into account their key players , but the case remains. Doesn't make him any kind of a donkey player , say because he won't necessarily do what Verratti does , especially when he's one of the reasons PSGs midfield is so balanced . And honestly , he's no pushover in attack either? I don't think Matuidi is at all 'more legs than brains' . It's just the legs part is damn impressive , doesn't make the other part poor or what have you.

He's for the most part decent at retaining the ball under pressure , doesn't complicate things on the counter and he's a beast in transition . And mentality wise , the lad is impressive . Does not fear challenges , even from a young age. Lacks in the refined sense of playing the ball , but he's definitely not poor at it either. And he definitely seems better season in season out . I am not at all following PSG but each season onward Matuidi manages to look better and better to me.

You want to check out real donkeys , check Felipe Melo and Poli out . Of the best examples out there . More legs than brains and stubborn trying things they aren't good at . Not sure what even Keita has in common with them , Keita was a smart player , unlucky to be limited on the technical aspect , favored by his physique and adaptability . All things considered a decent midfielder , if not a very late bloomer to be respected more nowadays . Donkey players wish they were Keita , actually , let alone Matuidi .

Well, yeah off course Matuidi is better than Poli. But no one is metioning Poli as a starter in the best midfield as people is doing with Matuidi. Matuidi is a good player, but he should be far away from any best midfield lineup. Dude runs a lot, but we could choose Khedira, Scheiderlin or Medel if running is the requirement to be a TOP 3 midfielder. However, he lacks a lot in passing and vision.

IMO, Matuidi is being wasted playing so far up the pitch. A player like him, should be instructed to sit in front of the defence and break attacks as Busquets does, with minimal creative responsibilities.

Last edited by free_cat on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Fair enough , as for Poli , i simply mentioned him to give the true example of a donkey like player , absolutely no other reason whatsoever , don't understand why you say better or anything else ; i merely set apples and oranges apart ; of course Poli has nothing to do in this thread.

As for where you would prefer to see Matuidi... it's an interesting scenario , something however that needs to happen first to make any decent case to begin with . Again , Matuidi may not be as creative as other players in this positition but it's not necessarily the case why he's there under Blanc .

You would waste a lot of running from Matuidi to play him there , even though i kinda agree tbh , he could do it . However , unless they signed someone really interesting to play next to Verratti , i don't think it will happen. They need to change for Matuidi to play in front of the defence , it won't be at all worth it otherwise.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Dante wrote:Fair enough , as for Poli , i simply mentioned him to give the true example of a donkey like player , absolutely no other reason whatsoever , don't understand why you say better or anything else ; i merely set apples and oranges apart ; of course Poli has nothing to do in this thread.

As for where you would prefer to see Matuidi... it's an interesting scenario , something however that needs to happen first to make any decent case to begin with . Again , Matuidi may not be as creative as other players in this positition but it's not necessarily the case why he's there under Blanc .

You would waste a lot of running from Matuidi to play him there , even though i kinda agree tbh , he could do it . However , unless they signed someone really interesting to play next to Verratti , i don't think it will happen. They need to change for Matuidi to play in front of the defence , it won't be at all worth it otherwise.

They could play Di Maria as midfielder, it worked great for Madrid. And that would free a great talent as Lucas Moura to play as RW, or include Javier Pastore. But I won't give any more good ideas because that could turn PSG into a real force.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:37 pm

2013 Strootman- Fit DDR- In form Pjanic has to be in the conversation.

That midfield literally has everything. Fit Nainggolan in there somewhere in maybe a diamond and it gets infinitely better.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:18 pm

True that's a pretty nice midfield. Strootman - Pjanic - DDR/Nainggolan.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:27 am

No mention of the ultimate screen? Mikel. For Shame. First he was snubbed for Ballon D'Or, now this....

Matic and Fabregas at the end of 2014 were incredible and would be in the conversation if they could get back to that level.

But I think it has to go to Barca or Bayern. Juve could be in the mix if they added another top class midfielder to Marchisio - Pogba.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 am

Matic-fabregas was dominated by 9 men psg, verratti toyed with them, they are therefore disqualified
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:32 am

Strange, I don't remember that happening in 2014 hmm

Our entire 2015 was rubbish, so I purposely didn't include their 2015 in the mix.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 am

Any hope remaining for Strootman to have the remaining of his career as a top footballer?
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Sadly I doubt it. Tbh I'd be shocked if he ever completes a season again. Massive shame, he had so much potential Sad
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Why is everyone picking a 3 midfield? Razz If I could go with 4 - Busquets, Iniesta, Yaya, James Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Vibe wrote:Any hope remaining for Strootman to have the remaining of his career as a top footballer?

It does look unlikely. He's set to be fit again next month though so we'll see. History has not been kind to players recovering from ACL tears though.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:13 pm

Shame.

I honestly believe Roma's sutiation would be a whole lot different right now if he was in the side.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2