McLewis
RealGunner
Casciavit
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Onyx
17 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official WWE Thread - Part 24 - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official WWE Thread - Part 24

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Maybe I'll get to see why Sami Zayn is hyped lol.

Seen like a handful of matches so far and I'm not getting it, don't get me wrong he's not bad in fact he's probably good.

Problem is the people coming through are amazing and he's not that.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

The Official WWE Thread - Part 24 - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official WWE Thread - Part 24

Post by Casciavit Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 pm

He's a poor man's Daniel Bryan, but his match with Neville was amazing. It wasn't just workrate their was a great story too. Meltzer gave it 4.75/5 stars.

You gotta watch those Sasha matches though.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:47 pm

Why is Zayn hyped by the IWC? He's a good worker and from indy's. It's the no#1 rule in the IWC handbook. hmm

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:03 pm

A lot of people say that Zayn and Bryan are very similar, but I don't see it. Zayn reminds me more of Kofi. Comes out smiling, flips around and goes home.

There is no formula to create another Bryan. The way he got over was totally unique, the things he had go through, the luck involved etc etc. It can't be replicated.

Now if you want a formula that works, here's one. Get a 6'2+ powerhouse who speaks English and give him superman booking. Keep him as a top heel for a while, then turn him face and he'll be reasonably over. At least over enough to be a top face.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:20 pm

What in the hell is unique about the yes chant or an underdog story rising against authority to get to the top lol.

Both are plays on something they have been doing since the bloody 80s that they have remixed a million times over, which is why i will never understand why you like the storyline so much as there is nothing great about it.

Also Cascia is right, he is similar. He does a lot of similar things, i.e. high octane kicks, chain wrestling, submission stuff and the never give up underdog mentality. Don't really get the Kofi comparison at all lol, that's not to say he's anywhere near Bryan btw, thus the poor mans moniker but there are similar traits to how they wrestle.

Right down to how i admit he's good in the ring but find him boring. hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 pm

The unique thing is his journey leading up to the underdog story. You can't just place any guy in an underdog story for the main title unless they're over. It's like saying Reigns is the next Cena because he's being shoved into the top role. Cena got over organically and had the skills to be the number 1 guy. It's the journey that makes the guy. And all journey's are unique.

Now how did Bryan get over? Well it has to be considered that Bryan was never World title material in his early days despite the IWC hype. He was a good worker, but very bland, just like Zayn is now. He wasn't even meant to win the World title back in 2011. He only won it because Henry got injured and there was no one else. Once he won his first title, he turned heel, which played a part in him getting over. Which leads me onto my next point, the Yes chant.

It's not everyday someone comes out chanting something, loses in 18 seconds at WM, only to find out he's super over because of the 'night after WM' banter crowd. I'd say part of the reason he got over was because of the way he lost. The crowd disliked it and decided to rebel. The whole smarky cheering for heels thing wasn't exactly common back in the day. Is that not a considered unique situation? If that unique situation didn't happen, Bryan may have faded into obscurity and the yes chant wouldn't have become as popular as it did.

I think what's going on is people are seeing Zayn with his underdog style and it reminds them of Bryan. They're looking at it in a superficial way. But they're forgetting that he has to get over for it to mean anything. And Bryan got over because of his unique journey. Now why did it interest me? Well it was unpredictable and unique. The crowd hijacking shows, Bryan getting some incredible reactions etc. It was also very realistic and when you're a huge mark for a certain superstar, it helps too. RAW was must watch during that period because of that story.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Yeah none of that is unique, it's been done before many times.

WWE has a knack of going back to the underdog against authority story very often in it's history as it's proven to work.

Look what Bryan achieved in less than 5 years was extremely impressive, but let's not act like it was a once in a life time thing that's never happened before and never will again.

If anything it's one of the most often repeated angles in WWE history along with the big athlete turning heel angle which they love to do also.

You are taking the comparison too seriously anyway, no one is saying he's ever going to be as good as him or have the same success. Just that he shares similar styles and persona's and that's it.

Also i think you need to watch more past Raw's tbh, there was nothing unique or unpredictable about it. They have done it multiple times over the years with many different guys. It wasn't a fresh new angle they have never done before lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:09 pm

I'm not saying the underdog story is unique, it's been done before sure. What I'm saying is Bryan's journey to getting over was unique. If WM 27 (Sheamus 18 seconds) didn't happen, the yes chant might not exist today.

Sami Zayn reminds me of Bryan when he first started out. A good worker, but bland, like I said before. Bryan then turned heel, 18 seconds, yes chant etc. Got paired with Kane, comedy character etc. Got super over - underdog story started. That's the journey I'm talking about. There's no guarantees that Zayn will go through a journey that'll result in him being a top guy.

Right now his potential is nothing more than a midcarder, just like Bryan's was when he started out.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 pm

Not unpredictable? I don't remember crowds hijacking shows in the past for an underdog. I don't remember the smarky worked shoot esque promos etc. It was all mainly kayfabe.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:16 pm

The Ironman match between Sasha and Bayley :bow:

So good ffs, if they have any sense they'll give the triple threat at Mania around 20 minutes as they are all better than the majority of the roster tbh and deserve the time to show it.

They won't because gotta give Reigns a bloated main event but they should.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:31 pm

You'll get what is so good about Zayn if you watch his match with Neville along with all the storyline behind it.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:38 pm

I'm willing to change my mind tbf, although in fairness to him i'm looking at him in comparison to Owens, Styles, Balor, Joe, Aries and Nakamura as that's his competition.

Which probably isn't fair to him, can't wait for NXT Dallas btw. Unfortunately it won't be starting till like 2am in the morning over here though so not sure if i'll watch it live.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:07 am

Just when I thought my hate for Mysterio couldn't get any deeper I see this shit

https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/16/64/23/90/myster10.jpg
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:33 am

Onyx wrote:Now if you want a formula that works, here's one. Get a 6'2+ powerhouse who speaks English and give him superman booking. Keep him as a top heel for a while, then turn him face and he'll be reasonably over. At least over enough to be a top face.

So what the hell was Ryback?
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:12 am

Ryback was one of the most over faces in WWE when he originally got a push. They just decided to bury him due to some backstage stuff as far as I can remember.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:13 am

This was amazing :bow:
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:23 am

Didn't watch but saw the highlighted clips on their youtube.

Taker and Shane/Vince dynamic is so weird Laughing I mean I think the match will be fun but the build up is unbelievably strange.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Watching some old WWE vids, whatever happened to the Hardy bros? I remember Jeff was on track to become the face of WWE, then he had some drug problem? Was my fav wrestler back in the day Sad

Listened to some recent theme songs of his, this one is legit :bow:

Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:33 pm

Yeh that's a goat theme. :bow:

He left back in 2009 to recover from injuries. At that point he was arguably the most over guy in WWE and a top 2 face along with Cena.

He said last year he would consider a return to the WWE, though he signed a new contract with TNA back in January. Still think he'll return one day though.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 pm

My most favorite match of his (despite him losing), 1v1 vs Undertaker and put up a damn good fight :bow:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:28 pm

He got three strikes on the drug policy, didn't he? And his third came in a middle a world title run or something. He dropped the title to CM Punk after an amazingly personal feud (Punk was doing his Straight Edge Society stuff back then).

He was one of my favourites, too. Couldn't talk at all but his matches were always fun.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:33 pm

He was over as shit with the fans in the late 90s lol, which is something I have tried explaining to MT multiple times. Because you are over doesn't really mean anything, it matters ofc but it's just one of many factors.

He's never been THE guy, I love him too but being serious here it never happened.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Had he stayed drug free, he would've been the face of WWE instead of Cena
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:48 pm

There's a lot of ifs and buts with Cena tbh.

Lesnar left, Batista and Orton had injuries etc etc. Anyway I disagree, the company always had Lesnar, Batista, Orton in their minds.

He maybe over with the fans but he never was with the company as much as the aforementioned guys, which is why they got the main events consistently, got the air time, merchandise sales and so on.

He's in the same boat as RVD, over as shit with the fans and was always floating between main event and upper mid card but was never really seen as the guy.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm talking mainly about his 08-09 run. He was arguably the most over guy in WWE and a top two face along with Cena. He was mostly main eventing and won 3 World titles during that period.

Just check this reaction out on Smackdown.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:32 pm

:bow:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next