Hapless_Hans
rincon
Kick
Kebab
Harmonica
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

"Spain's by far the best league." - Paul Scholes Empty "Spain's by far the best league." - Paul Scholes

Post by Harmonica Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 am

Paul Scholes: "It’s all about money and sponsorship in England these days rather than football, rather than entertainment". [guardian]

"You hear about people saying English football’s the best football there is around. I think Spain’s by far the best league".

"The Spanish league’s the best by far if you’re judging on the European competitions".

"The best players are in Spain or at Bayern and Juventus. You never see Messi or Neymar coming in Premier League".

"I can’t imagine Madrid or Barca players, watching our games get as excited as we are to watch El Clasico or Bayern-Dortmund game".

"They’re purely businessmen (ones in England) whereas at Barcelona you have a balance between business and football".

Thumbs up
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

"Spain's by far the best league." - Paul Scholes Empty Re: "Spain's by far the best league." - Paul Scholes

Post by Kebab Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:38 am

No Ballon dor winner played in EPL says it all
Kebab
Kebab
Cant go to the last pages in mobile version. There is no page numbers

Back to top Go down

"Spain's by far the best league." - Paul Scholes Empty Re: "Spain's by far the best league." - Paul Scholes

Post by Kick Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:45 am

Kebab wrote:No Ballon dor winner played in EPL says it all

scratch
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:51 am

Kebab wrote:No Ballon dor winner played in EPL says it all

Thumbs up
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:53 am

one glance at the UEFA coefficient table confirms Paul Scholes as Captain Obvious
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:55 am

2008... Ronaldo won BDO while at Manchester U Laughing

2001 - Michael Owen - Liverpool

Then you had George Best, Denis Law and Stanley Matthews in the older era.

Come on people ffs Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:58 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:one glance at the UEFA coefficient table confirms Paul Scholes as Captain Obvious
Well then what's wrong with rest of the chavs?
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:06 am

sportsczy wrote:2008... Ronaldo won BDO while at Manchester U Laughing

You have to remember some of these clowns started watching football after 2009
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 am

Point difference between 1st and 2nd the last three seasons.

6 Liga Florentino Perez
20 Prom League
39 Bundesfodder
41 Serie Zzz
48 Ligue Lol

Shocked

rofl

hmm
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:14 am

jibers wrote:

To clarify, I was being sarcastic with the thumbs up Laughing
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 am

Harmonica wrote:Paul Scholes: "It’s all about money and sponsorship in England these days rather than football, rather than entertainment". [guardian]

"You hear about people saying English football’s the best football there is around. I think Spain’s by far the best league".

"The Spanish league’s the best by far if you’re judging on the European competitions".

"The best players are in Spain or at Bayern and Juventus. You never see Messi or Neymar coming in Premier League".

"I can’t imagine Madrid or Barca players, watching our games get as excited as we are to watch El Clasico or Bayern-Dortmund game".

"They’re purely businessmen (ones in England) whereas at Barcelona you have a balance between business and football".

Thumbs up

Where is the rest of his interview ? :coffee:
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:00 pm

S wrote:
Harmonica wrote:Paul Scholes: "It’s all about money and sponsorship in England these days rather than football, rather than entertainment". [guardian]

Thumbs up

Where is the rest of his interview ? :coffee:
I don't support Perez co. media, but you can find it in the op.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Collblanc Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:34 pm

S wrote:Where is the rest of his interview ? :coffee:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/05/paul-scholes-non-league-football-premier-league

There’s some good players, really good players, but it’s not always the best for quality. In the Premier League in the last two years, have I really seen a game of high quality? A game that I’ve thought: “Wow!” It’s difficult to think of any.

Then I think of games abroad that I’ve watched: Real Madrid–Barcelona, Bayern Munich–Borussia Dortmund, proper games of football. I can’t imagine Real Madrid players, Barcelona players, watching our games and being as excited as we are to watch a Real Madrid–Barcelona game or a Bayern–Dortmund game or Juventus–Roma, something like that. Now 10 years ago, in those days, other than Real Madrid … I don’t think Bayern Munich were particularly special. Juventus were good, don’t get me wrong, but I think English teams were probably on a par with them.

It’s all about money and sponsorship in England these days rather than football, rather than entertainment. And I don’t think that’s just from the top teams either. I think it goes right down through the league. I know there is pressure on managers, but styles of play become so negative because managers are frightened of losing their jobs. If you lose three or four games on the trot obviously you’re under big pressure and you’re sacked and that makes them think: “Right, do we need results or do we need to find a way of playing to entertain people?” It’s rubbish. It spoils English football.

Last edited by Collblanc on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Collblanc
Collblanc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:07 pm

jibers wrote:

I think they quoted Kebab because it "says all" about him
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:20 pm

I also think that Scholes, per usual as he is no Rhodes Scholar, is being shortsighted.  When the several of the best managers in the world move to a league and the trend from "feeder leagues" is also significantly shifting towards that same league... it means that this league is going to improve drastically in the near future.

As the old timers here know, I've been a critic of the EPL... feeling that the hype far outweighed its quality.  But it is pretty clear to me now that the quality has started and will continue to catch up with the hype.  Players will follow the money... and the EPL has the most cash by far. This gap in means is going to continue to get worse in the near future as well.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:55 pm

What Scholes is saying is absolutely correct if we are talking about the last 10 years. I remember even as a kid, in 50s and 60s, It was known as the hoof it out liga. Look at their best GK, and his skills or lack thereof. He is good enough for the NT and the EPL because of the style of play. It isn't technical and just plain boring.

Sports has been preaching for 3 years now that the money will make them dominant. Well it sure hasn't yet! I will say they are likely to improve this year with the managers they now have particularly Pep and Conte, but Kloop hasn't improved style of play thus far and Mourinho has been there for years now and style of play is just not in his resume!

However, a friend of mind, a long time City supporter, said, the game he watched the other day was the best futbol he has ever seen in EPL, the way futbol should be played. There is hope at least with City, that the EPL will improve, but I wouldn't hold my breath, saying they will overtake la liga.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Reading comprehension Bill... the money for the new media deal went into effect this year. They were on the old media deal until now. So your "preach" nonsense about me was directed at the time when the new media deal became effective.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Sports, the money only means that they will be charged more for players relative to their ability. Monchi  and a member of Schalke said as much. The market is split between the EPL and others.

Things that improve the league like scouting, player recruitment, good coaching will continue to be overlooked when they can just throw money at anything. The English game hasn't changed much for over 50 years. It depends too much on individuals in their atracking phases and there is no clear collective strategy. All the bottom teams just sit back and attack and then sit back and attack, even Serie A is not this negative.

The best players will still go to Barcelona and Real. There is a reason that all the GOAT names are associated with those clubs. Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruijff, Zidane, Messi etc legacy wise, no all time player leaves their mark playing in the epl.

Cruijff changed Spain but Guardiola won't have that impact because English people are arrogant and don't like change. I think it has something to do with being on an island. Even the German FA collaborated it all the Bundesliga teams to change thier footballing structure and their coaching and scouting methodology.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:14 pm

I think the money means that EPL can pay more for every single player except for a few other teams in Europe...  and 99.9% of the players will go to the team that pays them the most.  

In the past, teams like West Ham, Southampton, Tottenham, etc. could never compete for the players they are getting because they were offering the same wages as Sevilla, Villareal, Roma, etc.  Now, they're offering exponentially more... so players are going there as opposed to better clubs.

The agents push their players there because, the greater the fee and the wage, the more money they make.

Player and manager quality drive the quality of a league obviously... and the EPL is noticeably improving on both counts.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:21 pm

sportsczy wrote:I think the money means that EPL can pay more for every single player except for a few other teams in Europe...  and 99.9% of the players will go to the team that pays them the most.  

In the past, teams like West Ham, Southampton, Tottenham, etc. could never compete for the players they are getting because they were offering the same wages as Sevilla, Villareal, Roma, etc.  Now, they're offering exponentially more... so players are going there as opposed to better clubs.

The agents push their players there because, the greater the fee and the wage, the more money they make.

Player and manager quality drive the quality of a league obviously...  and the EPL is noticeably improving on both counts.

So the get more mid tier talent from other leagues. Again, they will be put in tes thay focus on individuals rather than collective attacking schemes. West Ham still couldn't beat Astra Giurgui 2 seasons in a row should highlight the problems they face. The attacking schemes in the EPL are severely lacking.

Again getting good players mean nothing if they aren't coached properly. Sevilla, Villarreal will replace those players becaue of their good networks and the players from their youth ranks and still do better in Eurpope than most of the epl teams because the teams have a clear strategy. Less money means they will take more risks with players and EPL will just get developed players. The base of the EPL, English players will still be mediocre and still be making up a lot of the team.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Manager quality is going through the roof too because they can pay for the best ones... forget Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola, Conte and Wenger.

You also have Pochettino, Bilic, Ranieri, Koeman, Guidolin and Puel.

Heck, you have Rafa, Di Matteo, Mazzarri and Zenga managing championship teams because they're paying them well.  Those teams want to make the EPL and earn that crazy money so they've investing to get promoted.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:15 pm

@Sports
Well, in Scholes' defense, I assume he is talking about the now and not what the future holds. And like the Captain Obvious some of these pundits can be, he is right. Spain, according the UEFA's coefficient, is the best league in Europe right now.

That being said, the BPL has all the mechanisms in place to easily be the best in Europe (and subsequently the World). That ridiculous TV deal, really good marketing, high wages to offer, etc. Mind you, that has been so for some time now and their teams are still finding it surprisingly troubling competing in Europe.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:38 pm

money determines sustainable success. it's no brainier if u have enough money u can hire best Managers and buy best possible players. u can protect ur best players from raiding of other sharks if u afford their salaries. scouting and developing players sounds good theoretically but it takes patience and time and not necessarily every player u put ur bet on will go on to be a legit. chances are 8/10 will be so called frauds, more so the two players u have polished for years are likely to be snatched by other clubs with better money power. Very good example is Ligue 1 clubs who have this huge abundance of talent but due to the fact that they have less money they are constantly outmuscled by bigger clubs. they make Money out of it no doubt but it reduces them for what they are necessarily, a feeder clubs. in a nutshell in Business u cannot fight Money unless u have it and no matter how hard we deny Football is business.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:50 pm

sportsczy wrote:Reading comprehension Bill... the money for the new media deal went into effect this year. They were on the old media deal until now. So your "preach" nonsense about me was directed at the time when the new media deal became effective.

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, go back and look at your posts THREE years ago! And once again you resort to a personal attack on English comprehension in an International forum to a poster whose first language is not English.

You have been saying the EPL will become the dominant liga for 3 years now and thus far it hasn't improved at all, in terms of play on field nor results in Europe. What Scholes has said is absolutely correct.

You mocking him is just another example of how delusional you have become.

I will agree with you that they are likely to improve with the quality of managers they now have, but to say they will be dominant over other ligas is just another exaggeration from you, and has nothing to do with what Scholes said.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Well Scholes called De Bruyne, Aguero and Silva the only world class players playing in PL right now. Laughing Is there anything to discuss after such blatant bs. He was a great player for us, one of the greatest in fact but as a pundit he is dogturd.

I agree with the La Liga part tho. Its easily the best league in the world. But isnt that way too obvious to be considered as an expert opinion nowadays?!  Schoesy's just stating the obvious. And when he is not saying that, he says plain stupid things Laughing Surprised theres even a thread for this tho. Thought everyone by now know how bad a pundit he is.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next