BarcaLearning
Myesyats
danyjr
titosantill
Harmonica
55 posters

Page 20 of 37 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 37  Next

Go down

The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV - Page 20 Empty Re: The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV

Post by Casciavit Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:52 am

I haven't seen much PSG since they lost to Madrid, as Poch's made me lose all faith in this project even though I did enjoy the Messi-Mbappe link up.

Either way, Messi didn't go from the best finisher to the worst just like that. I don't believe he's suddenly forgotten how to shoot the ball. Like yeah, he's been a flop this season as he's heavily underwhelmed relative to expectations, but I don't think it's a simple case of it just being a blatant technical decline.

Once Poch leaves, and they hire a coach who realizes Messi is free at the edge of the box 5-6 times a game, I'm sure his scoring count will increase. His finishing troubles have more to do with confidence and opportunities rather than technique. He went from 6 shots per game to 3 shots per game. Less scoring chances + finishing troubles = a recipe for low confidence and poor form.

Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV - Page 20 Empty Re: The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV

Post by Casciavit Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:07 am

Has there ever been a generational forward who did not become lazy?

I've been watching some Cruyff matches when he was older, and for someone who touted pressing his workrate decreased a lot, the more popular he became.

I just don't think you'll find a multiple-time Ballon d'or winner who will have that sustained passion to run their socks off. All these players have egos and at some point, they think they're above that. I'm sure the ideal player would have Ronaldo's hunger for goals, Messi's ability on the ball, and Henderson's workrate but it doesn't work like that.

I mean look at Mbappe. He's 23 and doesn't press or defend at all even though he hasn't won a Ballon d'or or CL. I'm sure once Haaland starts scoring 50 goals a season for Pep, you'll see Haaland strolling off the ball.

I just don't know if we'll ever see the best in the world run like a donkey because that requires a certain level of humility and those players lose that humility with the more individual awards they get.

Maybe if the best player in the world is a midfielder then you can't get away with it because midfielders are crucial for team balance, but if they're a forward? Good luck. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:56 am

He's 34. He needs to save his energy for the short bursts where it counts. Maybe that wouldn't have flied at 27 but it does now.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:10 am

yea i always said we can make a better judgment on his performance level this coming world cup
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Casciavit wrote:I haven't seen much PSG since they lost to Madrid, as Poch's made me lose all faith in this project even though I did enjoy the Messi-Mbappe link up.

Either way, Messi didn't go from the best finisher to the worst just like that. I don't believe he's suddenly forgotten how to shoot the ball. Like yeah, he's been a flop this season as he's heavily underwhelmed relative to expectations, but I don't think it's a simple case of it just being a blatant technical decline.

Once Poch leaves, and they hire a coach who realizes Messi is free at the edge of the box 5-6 times a game, I'm sure his scoring count will increase. His finishing troubles have more to do with confidence and opportunities rather than technique. He went from 6 shots per game to 3 shots per game. Less scoring chances + finishing troubles = a recipe for low confidence and poor form.

Hasn’t he hit the bar like 10+ times? That’s luck. However, he should be finishing some of these easy chances he gets. I’m sure that will come next season.

He is 34 though. No one can blame him for not pushing his body. I have no question that Ronaldo is playing with painkillers to press like he’s been doing for 90 minutes recently. Can we blame messi for not doing the same? Clearly, he’s in a dysfunctional set up regarding the midfield.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:01 pm

Salt from long time haters as usual... they jump on Messi on every opportunity nowadays... nothing new to see.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:08 pm

FennecFox7 wrote:
Hasn’t he hit the bar like 10+ times? That’s luck. However, he should be finishing some of these easy chances he gets. I’m sure that will come next season.

He is 34 though. No one can blame him for not pushing his body. I have no question that Ronaldo is playing with painkillers to press like he’s been doing for 90 minutes recently. Can we blame messi for not doing the same? Clearly, he’s in a dysfunctional set up regarding the midfield.

Yeah he don't have the Ron or Ibra bod. All we can expect from him now is to rely on his Techy game and whatever speed he has left.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm

Lionel Messi has hit the post 10 times with PSG this season in Ligue 1. It's the record since Opta started collecting data back in 2006-2007. No other player has hit the post more times in a season.

Best at everything. :coffee:
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Mon May 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Are the goals in Ligue 1 smaller? I honestly don't see how else to explain this Laughing

Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue May 10, 2022 4:19 pm

The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV - Page 20 VSteaWJ
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue May 10, 2022 7:19 pm

Heskey, i see you! The true legend.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Tue May 10, 2022 9:47 pm

wait we are counting how many times people have hit the post, smh these analytics have gone too far. lol goal and assist threats. that man scored 4 goals in ligue 1, that's all that matters. we'll soon start counting most shots from a player that the keeper saved (if we havent started counting those already). 4 league goals, nothing else matters. lol i'm expecting a rebuttal that goes something like "messi is now a midfielder....."
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed May 11, 2022 2:47 pm

titosantill wrote:wait we are counting how many times people have hit the post, smh these analytics have gone too far. lol goal and assist threats. that man scored 4 goals in ligue 1, that's all that matters. we'll soon start counting most shots from a player that the keeper saved (if we havent started counting those already). 4 league goals, nothing else matters. lol i'm expecting a rebuttal that goes something like "messi is now a midfielder....."

Laughing
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Wed May 11, 2022 3:27 pm

Harmonica wrote:The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV - Page 20 VSteaWJ

This very straightforward diagram clearly and very lucidly illustrates that Messi has been the biggest goal scoring and assisting threat in modern football. Thumbs up

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat May 14, 2022 7:55 am

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/12/football/lionel-messi-forbes-rich-list-spt-intl/index.html

Lionel Messi: $130 million
LeBron James: $121.2 million
Cristiano Ronaldo: $115 million
Neymar: $95 million
Stephen Curry: $92.8 million
Kevin Durant: $92.1 million
Roger Federer: $90.7 million
Canelo Alvarez: $90 million
Tom Brady: $83.9 million
Giannis Antetokounmpo: $80.9 million

Probably the most underpaid athlete too.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat May 14, 2022 8:52 am

Who?
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 am

futbol_bill wrote:Who?
The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread & Fan Club IV - Page 20 ZgBoD6u
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat May 14, 2022 9:33 am

Grandpa 👴
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat May 21, 2022 6:52 pm

KDB - 22 G+A - Player of the season.

Messi - 20 G+A - Flop.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat May 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Different standards between the goat and someone people 10 years from now will barely remember. Messi is, as always, a victim of his own success.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat May 21, 2022 9:33 pm

KDB has 19 goals and 13 assists all comps
Messi has 11 goals and 14 assists all comps

But i agree... standards for Messi are much higher and rightfully so.  He gets paid a ton more than KDB. I do think Messi does really well next season.  Club is being revamped for the better and Zidane will be the manager.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun May 22, 2022 2:13 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Different standards between the goat and someone people 10 years from now will barely remember. Messi is, as always, a victim of his own success.

pls... KDB is an all-timer in his position and will go down as the greatest Belgium player up to this point in history
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun May 22, 2022 4:51 am

sportsczy wrote:KDB has 19 goals and 13 assists all comps
Messi has 11 goals and 14 assists all comps

I provided only domestic league stats because KDB won PL POTY
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun May 22, 2022 4:53 am

Are we really gonna pretend Premier League and Ligue 1 FarmerEats are the same level?

Mariano Diaz scored 18 in Ligue 1 ffs
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun May 22, 2022 5:22 am

whoscored Messi 7.77, De Bruyne 7.64, De Bruyne is better defensively, Messi offensively. Saying De Bruyne had better league performance is just english propaganda.

Messi assisted Di Marias last goal for PSG, off the post. Laughing Sometimes I wonder if he does these things on purpose.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun May 22, 2022 5:49 am

Harmonica wrote:Sometimes I wonder if he does these things on purpose.
cryin
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 37 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 37  Next