Vibe
FennecFox7
Myesyats
Pedram
futbol_bill
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

This forum has become practically dead Empty This forum has become practically dead

Post by futbol_bill Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:24 am

My god, this forum has literally gone dormant. Other than about 10 regular posters, there are no posts!

Is it lack of interest in futbol or this forum?
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

This forum has become practically dead Empty Re: This forum has become practically dead

Post by Pedram Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:12 am

It's been 12 years, most people have moved on with their lives, lost interest in football or don't have time.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

This forum has become practically dead Empty Re: This forum has become practically dead

Post by Myesyats Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:42 am

Forums are not in fashion so there are no new members and the old guard have moved on

as I get older i also lose interest in futbol so maybe that too to some degree. Barely watch any games besides barca.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:32 am

Definitely agree. For me, life has been hectic. I joined this community when I was 14 years old. I was a young, stupid, immature kid. Now I have bills to pay and work and study basically all day. I’ll try to do my part and post when I can. GL has a special place in my heart, all the way from the goal.com days.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:33 am

We practically raised FF7, that's how old we are
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:54 am

Discord was supposed to revive the community but is even deader hmm
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:14 am

My interest in football has gone up lately. I have less time to visit goallegacy frequently, but I watch football as often as I can.

Only McLewis seemed to update the Discord app with any regularity after we got a server there. I almost forgot that it existed until Firenze asked me if I'd seen the most recent match between Man United and Galatasaray.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:22 am

was always going to happen tbh

discord just handy if the forum randomly dies one day if we want to keep in touch
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:24 am

I just like posting here more rather than discord.

A forum can't prosper by just being there, we depend solely on posters from 2011 ffs Laughing It is what it is. Still an amazing place.

Even the admins rarely post, haven't seen RG in a while. McLewis is here but mostly posts about women's football.

BC is the most active one.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:45 am

A year ago when this topic was raised, most of what you have said was true them and obvious forum had a much smaller base of posters from “the good old days”.

But the reason, I raised this subject again is I feel the participation has dropped substantially in the past 6 months.

Basically there are around 10 posters who are regular and maybe another 10 that occasionally post. That a grand total of maybe 20 using forum!

I find myself checking in for comments about RMad games and usually find nothing or at most 1or 2. Very little discussion, which was the best feature of forum IMO.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:41 am

This forum never grew past the initial wave of members who moved from the old Goal.com forums. There was maybe like 10 or 15 members who joined after that Laughing

These members have since gotten older and moved on to other priorities. Add to this the waning interest in forums in general and you pretty much have the current GL.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:48 am

But now that I said this, I'm remembering that there are older forums with even older members that are still more active than GL Laughing

https://www.xtratime.org/threads/the-official-transfer-rumour-thread.234673/page-1076

Just look at the join date of the people in this thread ffs.

farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:42 am

I love GL, but we never figured out how to bring many new people in (other than a couple of pushes), and the original crew is now too busy with real life to dedicate too much to football or the community. Which is normal. And it sucks. Because this is a great community.

I know in my own case football, games and TV are just a significantly smaller share of how I spend my time. And unfortunately I don't see that changing.

I'll always log in to banter with the legends here though, just wish I could do it more.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:35 pm

Myesyats is correct in that this specific mode of communication is outdated. The most popular form of forum these days is probably Reddit, which has it's own football community (which I would imagine many of us are already members of).

Nostalgia is strong here. It's the singular reason why those who have stuck around this long continue to do so. Unfortunately, the reality is that it's also a double-edged sword. Nostalgia has kept this forum exactly where it is, for better or for worse, depending on how one sees it.

We've (the Admin team) been in discussion for sometime now about the forum's future. The Discord was one of the results of that discussion, which hasn't finished yet however. I believe the picture will be come more clear in the new year. There's not much else for me to say at the moment, but that's where things stand right now.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:13 pm

McLewis wrote:I believe the picture will be come more clear in the new year. There's not much else for me to say at the moment, but that's where things stand right now.

GL 2024, get in there :bow:
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:15 am

Fact is if you do not or cannot market a space this was bound to happen. Traffic was going to be this way after breaking off a public forum in Goal.com.

And of course the original lot of us all grow up together and began to focus on arguably more important things so no new brood came in quite so.

I sincerely hope to see some unrealistic wave come in out of nowhere and jumpstart things but doubt it.

Forum will never be dead to me.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:31 am

life happens. and the game is in a funny period right now...what i mean is, the height of this forum had the EPL rivalries, Madrid-barca, mourinho pep and cristiano-messi. so things were heated, and even in some of those rivalries there were rivalries within them.e.g. arsenal fans who wanted wenger out and those who wanted him to stay.

for me, i try to post after games, but i've been very poor at that. part of it is @ least for madrid, there's not really a sense of tension. i think (or hope) the game picks up to get those debates up again.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 pm

Well, it's kinda in the name of the place right? With all due respect, my understanding is that the identity of the site was always that of an isolated relic of something bigger that was no more, kinda like a private community that had no big connect to a bigger source. As others have mentioned, from that private community people have been leaving for different reasons, one of them probably being the small site traction itself.

We live in different times, Reddit, Twitter, and Youtube are the modern forums, the game changed.

There's still a lot of healthy forums out there though, the medium hasn't necessarily become as extinct as some may think. From a cursory look places like The Shed End Chelsea forum, RedCafe, and BarcaForum still seem relatively vibrant.

Kinda surprised there never seems to have been a Real Madrid forum out there that got traction, other than the Spanish one from Spain, which gets as much tractions as probably 10 years ago, for example.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm

I think just on football, we cant always expect too much in terms of tension or drama or excitement in levels of the Mou Real v Pep Barca, Wenger v Fergie, Inter v Milan when they were top of the world, CR v Messi, etc, etc... those are just coincidences once in a while or era that the world produces Razz

Overall I think we are still blessed with what we get to watch. Initially I thought I would lose a lot of interest with Messi leaving n CR gone n Barca gone to shits Razz Maybe I just have no life lol but Ive been enjoying still a lot of things watching the games after all these yrs... dunno why. Barca somehow still actually managing overall good football despite everyone criticizing the team in the past few yrs. Real signing Bellingham in the latest of various has ensure their quality for yrs to come. EPL still exciting n competitive. U got Haaland v Mbappe narrative, many exciting young players coming up, so its not that bad actually Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:48 pm

i don't really think it has anything to do about the tension or rivalries or eras of games having changed, that's more so just a subjective thing...

as others have said, a majority of the main core have moved on with their lives, and that's understandable
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:46 pm

I disagree that the forum is dying.

Unique's resurrection in Davis is single-handedly lighting up for GL.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:05 pm

I've been petitioning for ages to clear the ban list ffs, what is the point.

Davis being accused of being AI first and now Unique, which I find funny because if you asked me who is the least AI sounding poster, I would think of Unique.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:22 pm

To be honest the rules being so strict at a time where countless people were banned did not help at all. I get its needed for order and the mods are great but in hindsight I miss a lot of banned posters.

Unique needs to be unbanned someone ring his local pub in Salford please.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:49 am

Arquitecto wrote:To be honest the rules being so strict at a time where countless people were banned did not help at all. I get its needed for order and the mods are great but in hindsight I miss a lot of banned posters.

Unique needs to be unbanned someone ring his local pub in Salford please.

I said this at the time, and the general response was that I was acting like Unique's best friend This forum has become practically dead 1f605 I don't like to say "I told you so", but I think I have expressed in the past that banning people in this tiny community will hurt us in the longer term. People who have problems with each other for whatever reason, can use the mute function.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:51 am

even LeVersacci and M99 who had the biggest problem with Unique left on their own, so we lost both ways, lol
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next