Giovanni10
Rossoneri Ninja
Kick
emassy
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Vote_lcap34%Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 13 ]
Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 6 ]
Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 38

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Empty Re: Varane vs phil jones vs smalling

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:27 am

Giovanni10 wrote:
Iceman wrote:Again with that stupid word. "Premface". Absolutely pointless in this thread.

Nick's judgment is probably the best of all of us because he has apparently watched him in Ligue 1. You, Giovanni10, have only seen him in the pre-season yet you think that its already good enough for you to compare him to Smalling and Jones while he probably hasn't been put under as much pressure as Smalling or Jones have.

Is it premature to judge a player based on a few PRESEASON games? Yes. Its like saying that Gervinho is as good as Di Maria, or "can be compared to him", because of how he featured in the preseason

As I followed Gervinho at Lille, so too have I seen a bit of Varane at Lens. Your argument is flawed, so what you're saying is that although Gervinho has been really good so far in pre-season for Arsenal, you feel it is no indication of his quality and he could still be a rubbish player? As I ADMITTED that Varane is not as good as Smalling, so too would I say Gervinho is not as good as Di Maria- but I would also concede that there is also not that much separating the sets of players mentioned in either example.

I think most of your fellow Arsenal supporters would disagree. I have not based my opinion on only the pre-season games, I was merely using it as a reference. You are not considering the points I have made.

1) Intelligence and Awareness are standard traits no matter what the type of game, its the his style that I'm talking about. Varane has a certain great quality that you can already see at an early age.

2) My other point is that I believed Smalling was better right now, but that they are not as far apart as some in this thread have said. Consult the current poll results to show that it is not only my opinion but a shared opinion.

Also, although I should have indicated with an emoticon in hindsight- I was not trying to incite anyone when I made the premface comment, its merely a joke that floats around here.

Clutching at straws here Gio..

I reject your assessment on Varane's current abilities to be near that of Smalling, whats the best Varane had to come up against in his short pro career thus far?

Whilst Varane was learning his trade in ligue 1 , Smalling was coming up against Wc attackers, whilst dealing with the pressure to perform for the 2 best football side in the Europe , and he dealt with it superbly.

Down the years i might have to eat my words as he could well become a defender of legendary or wc status but based on what we have seen happen throughout footballing history or Real's he can easily be just another flop, atm more likely he's not what Real make him out to be, his career highlight thus far is a good pre season with Real Madrid thus automatically making him future world class material at the age of 18.

I will however take your word for it that he is an intelligent/calm player but take my word for it Cb's never show their true potential well after their 20's.

Last edited by Rossoneri Ninja on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling - Page 2 Empty Re: Varane vs phil jones vs smalling

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:28 am

Hit qoute by mistake .. delete this .. soz

Last edited by Rossoneri Ninja on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 am

Giovanni10 wrote:
Iceman wrote:Again with that stupid word. "Premface". Absolutely pointless in this thread.

Nick's judgment is probably the best of all of us because he has apparently watched him in Ligue 1. You, Giovanni10, have only seen him in the pre-season yet you think that its already good enough for you to compare him to Smalling and Jones while he probably hasn't been put under as much pressure as Smalling or Jones have.

Is it premature to judge a player based on a few PRESEASON games? Yes. Its like saying that Gervinho is as good as Di Maria, or "can be compared to him", because of how he featured in the preseason

As I followed Gervinho at Lille, so too have I seen a bit of Varane at Lens. Your argument is flawed, so what you're saying is that although Gervinho has been really good so far in pre-season for Arsenal, you feel it is no indication of his quality and he could still be a rubbish player? As I ADMITTED that Varane is not as good as Smalling, so too would I say Gervinho is not as good as Di Maria- but I would also concede that there is also not that much separating the sets of players mentioned in either example.

I think most of your fellow Arsenal supporters would disagree. I have not based my opinion on only the pre-season games, I was merely using it as a reference. You are not considering the points I have made.

1) Intelligence and Awareness are standard traits no matter what the type of game, its the his style that I'm talking about. Varane has a certain great quality that you can already see at an early age.

2) My other point is that I believed Smalling was better right now, but that they are not as far apart as some in this thread have said. Consult the current poll results to show that it is not only my opinion but a shared opinion.

Also, although I should have indicated with an emoticon in hindsight- I was not trying to incite anyone when I made the premface comment, its merely a joke that floats around here.

Fair enough Laughing
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 am

There are WC attackers in the PL? Very Happy
troll
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Smalling...........for now.

Sakho > Smalling
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Smalling
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Smalling and Jones are much better than Varane. Smalling is in fact the best young CB in the world. He can play anywhere in the back, reads the game well, has great technique for a tall guy and pace...he has the whole package.

Jones has played two flawless games v United in 2 seasons where he kept our attackers quite...and he is only 19!

What the hell has this Varane done to get so much votes? Oh that's right, the excessive amount of RM fans.

Smalling by a long shot.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberman Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Smalling and then Jones

Says a lot that Sir Alex backed out of the Verane deal when he had him in the bag due to Jones becoming available
And the fact Verane didnt back himself to overtake them so he went to Madrid because...get this...he was guarenteed more games

Smalling is a freak of nature, the perfect defender

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 pm

cyberman wrote:
Says a lot that Sir Alex backed out of the Verane deal when he had him in the bag due to Jones becoming available
And the fact Verane didnt back himself to overtake them so he went to Madrid because...get this...he was guarenteed more games

where did you get that from? This is what Varane had to say in today's edition of L'Equipe.

Q:Manchester united and PSG seemed to be favorite to sign you at first...?
R: At first, it's true there was a big interest from Manchester. But in my head, at the end, I had to make a choice between Real Madrid and Paris.

meaning Real Madrid came into the deal, fergie didnt try to fight it, and went for jones.

Altho i agree with you, Smalling is awesome, and Jones has more pro experience, we will see how they develop as they reach their prime.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberman Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:46 pm

After moving to Madrid he says that

The deal was done but he couldnt get the 1st team guarentees, i followed that transfer all summer
Utd ceased to become an option then, hence only Madrid and France were left

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 pm

You might be right, but do you have any source supporting that argument?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberman Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Na im not going searching

It was an open secret, best we offered at the end was a loan back to France for a year
Supposedly hes a good player, but 3 ball playing CBs would be overkill for us

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 am

Smalling currently but I think Varane has the highest ceiling out of these three.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2