Giovanni10
Rossoneri Ninja
Kick
emassy
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Vote_lcap34%Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 13 ]
Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Vote_lcap16%Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 6 ]
Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Vote_lcap50%Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 38

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Empty Varane vs phil jones vs smalling

Post by emassy Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:27 am

Who is the better player
emassy
emassy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Varane vs phil jones vs smalling Empty Re: Varane vs phil jones vs smalling

Post by Kick Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 am

I'm going to go with Smalling.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 am

Smalling is way ahead of them both, in terms of Experience and ability.
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:Smalling is way ahead of them both, in terms of Experience and ability.

Bro, have you seen Varane in action yet during RM's pre-season? Yes I agree Smalling is the best out of them right now but Varane is not far off. Varane, 18 years old, but you would never say it, sol calm and composed. With the right type of nurturing, Varane is going to be a world class CB one day.
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

http://newsfromthelogcabin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

You're comparing Varane's pre-season matches with Smalling's PL matches?

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 pm

english_jewel wrote:You're comparing Varane's pre-season matches with Smalling's PL matches?

Took the words right out've my mouth..
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Well, Varane had 6 amazing months in Ligue1 where he had performances comparable to Sakho.

but at the end of the day, it's not enough material to compare. a bit early, really.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:07 pm

I don't understand how pre-season can be discredited as an indicator to evaluate a player's abilities or technique. I'm basing my opinion on Varane's intelligence and awareness for the game which I think is outstanding for an 18 year old.

Besides, I never said Varane was better than Smalling but you premfaces will take any opportunity to jump out of a dark corner to defend EPL players. I merely thought Varane could be mentioned in the same bracket, I was reacting to the sentiments that comparing them was like chalk and cheese.

Smalling is the best of the 3 currently. jeeeez...
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Again with that stupid word. "Premface". Absolutely pointless in this thread.

Nick's judgment is probably the best of all of us because he has apparently watched him in Ligue 1. You, Giovanni10, have only seen him in the pre-season yet you think that its already good enough for you to compare him to Smalling and Jones while he probably hasn't been put under as much pressure as Smalling or Jones have.

Is it premature to judge a player based on a few PRESEASON games? Yes. Its like saying that Gervinho is as good as Di Maria, or "can be compared to him", because of how he featured in the preseason
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:21 pm

kinda feel sorry for phil jones. we have no blackburn fan to vote for him. Smile
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Iceman wrote:Again with that stupid word. "Premface". Absolutely pointless in this thread.

Nick's judgment is probably the best of all of us because he has apparently watched him in Ligue 1. You, Giovanni10, have only seen him in the pre-season yet you think that its already good enough for you to compare him to Smalling and Jones while he probably hasn't been put under as much pressure as Smalling or Jones have.

Is it premature to judge a player based on a few PRESEASON games? Yes. Its like saying that Gervinho is as good as Di Maria, or "can be compared to him", because of how he featured in the preseason

As I followed Gervinho at Lille, so too have I seen a bit of Varane at Lens. Your argument is flawed, so what you're saying is that although Gervinho has been really good so far in pre-season for Arsenal, you feel it is no indication of his quality and he could still be a rubbish player? As I ADMITTED that Varane is not as good as Smalling, so too would I say Gervinho is not as good as Di Maria- but I would also concede that there is also not that much separating the sets of players mentioned in either example.

I think most of your fellow Arsenal supporters would disagree. I have not based my opinion on only the pre-season games, I was merely using it as a reference. You are not considering the points I have made.

1) Intelligence and Awareness are standard traits no matter what the type of game, its the his style that I'm talking about. Varane has a certain great quality that you can already see at an early age.

2) My other point is that I believed Smalling was better right now, but that they are not as far apart as some in this thread have said. Consult the current poll results to show that it is not only my opinion but a shared opinion.

Also, although I should have indicated with an emoticon in hindsight- I was not trying to incite anyone when I made the premface comment, its merely a joke that floats around here.

Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:07 pm

the poll speaks for itself
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:13 pm

The Madrid One wrote:the poll speaks for itself

poll shows our fanbase is greater than manchester united. Very Happy
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

the poll is full of smelly RM fans Laughing, phil jones and varene are similar players imo. i love them both. i think in the future these two will be world class
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Smalling. Really think he's gonna be a big centre back for those Mancs. Yeah, that's where my vote went...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm

LOL at 6 votes to varane. He isnt even better then Sakho nevermind Smalling

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:46 pm

smalling

btw Sakho is better than smalling imo.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 pm

both are on par, and im a massive sakho fan
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Smalling has seen quite a bit of action in a top league. Ferguson is also the master of developing CBs, so I'm gonna go with him.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:28 pm

I havent seen Varane play yet.So cant judge him

Jones has only played 4 months as CB.For the first half of the season he was more used as a DM.He is still to prove.

Smalling has already performed in PL europa League and even CL when called upon.

And yes Pre season games are pointless.Otherwise Crouch would have become as good a Striker as Ibrahimovic.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vyey Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:56 am

So basically if people (who watches the EPL and are fans of a team from the EPL) say their opinion about something/someone they are automatically called a premface.

LMAO. What logic is that?

At the moment Smalling is the best out of the 3. He has more experience than both of the other two. Am I a premface now?

Vyey
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylar Stern Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 am

I think that potential is the most important aspect of all 3 of these CBs and its important to note that none of these 3 centre-backs are first-team regulars. Based on Ferdinands injury problems, I would say that Smalling (and potentially Jones) has opportunity to develop quicker than Varane as they will have more first team chances. After all, at RM Carvalho and Pepe are the undisputed CBs and the reserves (Albiol and potentially Ramos) will provide stiff competition.

NB: I say Ramos as Jose may play Marcelo and Coentrao on the flanks and Ramos can be played in the center if required.
Kylar Stern
Kylar Stern
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:30 am

El Pipita wrote:kinda feel sorry for phil jones. we have no blackburn fan to vote for him. Smile

He's at United.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:32 am

Laughing

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:27 am

Giovanni10 wrote:
Iceman wrote:Again with that stupid word. "Premface". Absolutely pointless in this thread.

As I followed Gervinho at Lille, so too have I seen a bit of Varane at Lens. Your argument is flawed, so what you're saying is that although Gervinho has been really good so far in pre-season for Arsenal, you feel it is no indication of his quality and he could still be a rubbish player? As I ADMITTED that Varane is not as good as Smalling, so too would I say Gervinho is not as good as Di Maria- but I would also concede that there is also not that much separating the sets of players mentioned in either example.

I think most of your fellow Arsenal supporters would disagree. I have not based my opinion on only the pre-season games, I was merely using it as a reference. You are not considering the points I have made.

1) Intelligence and Awareness are standard traits no matter what the type of game, its the his style that I'm talking about. Varane has a certain great quality that you can already see at an early age.

2) My other point is that I believed Smalling was better right now, but that they are not as far apart as some in this thread have said. Consult the current poll results to show that it is not only my opinion but a shared opinion.

Also, although I should have indicated with an emoticon in hindsight- I was not trying to incite anyone when I made the premface comment, its merely a joke that floats around here.

Clutching at straws here Gio..

I reject your assessment on Varane's current abilities to be near that of Smalling, whats the best Varane had to come up against in his short pro career thus far?

Whilst Varane was learning his trade in ligue 1 , Smalling was coming up against Wc attackers, whilst dealing with the pressure to perform for the 2 best football side in the Europe , and he dealt with it superbly.

Down the years i might have to eat my words as he could well become a defender of legendary or wc status but based on what we have seen happen throughout footballing history or Real's he can easily be just another flop, atm more likely he's not what Real make him out to be, his career highlight thus far is a good pre season with Real Madrid thus automatically making him future world class material at the age of 18.

I will however take your word for it that he is an intelligent/calm player but take my word for it Cb's never show their true potential well after their 20's.

Last edited by Rossoneri Ninja on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next