The Franchise
BarrileteCosmico
ChollaVille
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OFF TOPIC: AS Roma Empty OFF TOPIC: AS Roma

Post by ChollaVille Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm

AS Roma is interesting for us becouse of our B team's ex-coach, our ex-future-player Bojan and our potentional target Jose Angel... also there are Eric Lamela, Miralem Pjanić, Gago, Toti, De Rossi, Gago... etc.

I guess that Enrique will try to use Barca's 4-3-3 system and playing style, and with those player he can do it, not so much great as Barca but I think that it will work.

So, can you predict starting 11?

Jose Angel or Heinze?
Burdisso, Juan or Kjaer?
Cicinho or Casseti?
Bojan, Totti and who?
Will Pjanić and Lamela play as midfielders or as wingers?
Is there place for Perrota, Pizaro, Osvaldo and Borrielo?
Can Toti play as false 9?

Full Squad:
OFF TOPIC: AS Roma C50ff849a0ed042c7a7d0fb11b146031
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

OFF TOPIC: AS Roma Empty Re: OFF TOPIC: AS Roma

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 am

Totti is known for his fake 9, and was the epitome of it in the earlier part of the century.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 am

I cant guess what Enrique would do, it would be wild assumptions at this point.

To be honest, I am not sure how Osvaldo cn play with both Totti and Bojan.

If Totti plays with Osvaldo, its a second striker and target man situation.

If its Totti and Bojan, its Bojan wide and making those off ball runs into the center from diagonal with Totti being the false 9.

But you cant add all 3 of those players in at once, it doesnt work.

I would have this, though it means no Bojan.

OFF TOPIC: AS Roma 209861_AS_Roma

However, heavy rotation with Bojan and Osvaldo depending on form and Totti on fitness.

Gago backs up Pizzaro, wich is viable given his age.

Heinze plays the Abidal role of partime leftback, part time centerback.

Casseti if Cicinho fails to defend properly.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 am

Gago is official too? Jesus Roma have really done some work

As long as Enrique can put the pieces together they should be back in top 4 (although top 3 is what theyll have to get)

This is going to be a cracking year for Serie A

Inter, Milan, Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio fighting for 3 CL spots
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 am

It will be nice if that competition spills over into greater European success in both the Champions League and the Europa League, though I'm slightly sceptical.

It's been a great window for Roma, however I still don't consider their defence to be worthy of the Champions League. Juan of two years ago would have been a great leader to put next to Kjaer to calm him down and perhaps restore his form, however he has been disastrous since midway through last season and declined dramatically. Kjaer isn't in any sort of form to lead a defence, whilst Burdisso is symbolic of everything wrong with the Roma defence. He'll look like he's in control and fighting for the cause, but too often it's the same old story. An unmarked man, an uncontested header, a weak tackle. The Roman defence isn't tough enough and they consistently fail time and time again. They haven't brought in anyone of higher quailty than Mexes and the problems were still there with him. I don't see anything being fixed yet, save for some remarkable coaching.

They have the talent to stay near the top regardless, however they don't have the defensive foundation to fight for the top spot. Third is within their reach if they integrate their new squad players swiftly, however that's a very difficult task. If they gather momentum by the end of the season however they could pull off an Udinese like second half and recover lost ground from early struggles whilst the team gains its new identity.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:04 am

Intresting points.

I think, given who the coach is, the best way for Roma to improve defensively is to keep the ball more and have more possession.

As is the Barca way, if you have the ball, the opponant cannot score.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 am

Keeping the ball with an entirely new strike force who have never played together won't be able to work initially, though Roma have always managed to reach a peak of free flowing football in attack with the right first eleven from their squad, I'm sure Enrique will bring the best out of them in that respect, however at the very least, initially, the defence will still hurt them when they desperately need it to be kind to them.

From that point, we'll then have to see how well they can actually keep possession. Looking at the first XI you posted, there's a lot of technique there, however how well they can cope when youngsters are brought in as substitutes or when they need to start due to injuries? How well will the squad cope if Enrique benches Totti? Benching Totti allows Roma to play at the tempo they need to make possession football dangerous and incisive. With reduced pace and off the ball movement in the forward line it becomes a lot easier to successfully hold off that attack, no matter the names.

Finally, can they get the ball back when they move it before the opponents can make three or four forward passes? Can they deal with counter-attacks with that defence still? Will they be able to effectively sweep up contested possession?

I'll believe Roma have a strong defence when they prove it over a season.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:31 am

Perhaps, but the ball is kept in midfield, thats the Barca way. Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, in that order get the most touches per game. Dani Alves is actually second in front of Iniesta, but he isnt a "midfielder".

Point taken, there will be more turnover of possession because of the new faces, but I think its something that will take time and needs work but to me, the best way to go.

Valid questions about the perfect which will need to be answered. My thoughts are this, defending in the tradional way, losing the ball and dropping off to the half way line and getting 10 men behind it, its a fairly standard way to go about it and none of the players will be alien to it. Its the safe way to go.

However, if there are concerns about the collective and individual defenders in the team, they will struggel defensively. Organsation and shape, we know will help them, but if you just cant defend, you just cant defend. If you lack speed, awareness, tanacity..shape and orgnasation wont help.

I believe, with a youthful team like this, having them press high up the field will ease the press on the individual defenders at the back and save alot of hassle.

The defenders job when pressing isnt one which fundementally is diffiuclt. Press up on the back of the striker and leave him no space to control, turn and run at you. Its the midfielders and forwards in front of you who have the task of making the pitch small and condensing that space.

Why press? Well other then the protection of weak individual defenders at the back, playing possession football, you want the ball back quicky. I feel that if the defenders and defensive midfielders arent good enough, make them do as little defending as possible...so keep the ball as much as possible and press high up the pitch.

I expect, if they are playing posession stuff, there will be errors and there will be mistakes. Its a completely new mentality and will take time. But if Luis Enrique is your coach, you know what to you can expect coming from where he is coming.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:39 am

On topic, I hope the Fonz doesnt mind but here is a post I found from him on what he expects.

I like it and because Enrique is the coach, I expect this. My formation is what I would do, but Enrique has his 433 in mind and this might be it.

The Fonz wrote:More than likely Osvaldo will play upfront alongside Bojan with Totti in the hole...

OFF TOPIC: AS Roma AbA83ZFacM

Now this could all change,if Gago can remain injury free ...If thats the case he will most likely play in De Rossi's position and De Rossi will play in Pizarro's CMF position...

Personally, I do like it, but I have 2 concerns.

Osvaldo was a targetman for Espanyol and while he shows good dribbling ability and fair mobility, I dont think if the role here is cut out for him. Perhaps he can prove himself capable here, I am not sure.

The issue is, when play is built up, he has to get much wider, therefore creating space in the middle. If he doesnt, the defence will narrow and passing angles wont be there.

If he stays out wide, if he gets the ball, what danger is he? I am not sure he is much of a danger, but if Enrique had a say in this transfer and plans on using him, I expect he believes he can be.

Alternatively, Enrique might just be thinking of playing a tradional 433 with Osvaldo as the center striker and Totti play in the wider role with licence to get in between the lines. Whatever side he plays on, probably the left, we could see something akin to what Ronaldinho did, with the real width coming from the advancing fullback. I am not sure Totti has this role in him at his age, but we shall see what Luis Enrique plans to do in the forward line. I think the forward line is the most intresting question mark.

The other worry I had was Di Rossi. It restricts his game is he is to play the holding midfield role in the strictness required for this formation. Its a role where your unselfish and you always play the simple pass and you dont go venturing forward on the search of goal. Its all about doing the basics and always being in this position. Its more suited to someone like Pizzaro, but he lacks the defensive skills for the position.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:52 am

If Lamela and Pjancic play I'd expect them to play a very active role in midfield and be key to holding possession. Pizarro lacks the energy to be everywhere and Totti is similarly unable to play a constantly mobile role. Gago would be the logical key who could take the burden off the other new arrivals, however the main reason why he never got anywhere in Madrid was that he was constantly injured, not to mention the fact that he will also need time to learn where everyone will be. Perrotta, Simplicio and the like are all on the wrong side of 30. I don't doubt their dedication and technique, however many of the established players won't be the keys to this project and I think Enrique knows that.

As with the Fonz's formation, I agree that De Rossi is unfairly restricted and it would hurt Roma's potential to play to Enrique's vision, however lacking a transfer such as Fernando it's likely the best option unless Viviani explodes.

The triangles forming over the pitch for Roma barely create a combination of previously core Roma players, so if Roma want to hold possession all the time then the forwards will definitely need to play a role not in simply holding up the ball and going for the opposition's jugular, but even going so far as to help out in the real engine room.

You've said it best that "it's something that will take time and needs work but to me, the best way to go," however I'm probably not as optimistic as you are about how their back line will cope in the mean time.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:03 am

This team can keep possesion.

Bojan - Toti - Lamela
Pjanić - De Rossi - Gago
Angel - Juan - Burdisso/Kjaer - Cicinho/Casseti
Stekelenburg

De Rossi and Gago can switch place, I'm not sure what is better option.
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:54 am

That's a poor man's Barca right there

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 am

Yes its very interesting... I think we're just having wild guesses until they play the first game. Looking forward to seeing it.

The Fonz's formation was something I thought of, and the other one was Dani's with Totti wide and Ozvaldo through the middle.

My questions are...

Why does everyone expect a 'false 9' so much?? Enrique didn't use this, he had Soriano. Its also not really the normal 'Barca way', its just Pep has adapted the system to get the best out of a freak player in Messi. Have the best player in the world, build the best team in the world around him. Totti's good and normally plays as a 10, but I don't think we should expect this yet.

Assuming they play 4-3-3... can Totti play in a wide position? He's old and slow and won't be full of energy like you need. So essentially, he has to start centrally I believe. Moving onto the second question... Can Osvaldo play as an inside forward?? Like Dani said, he's a target man. I don't see him liking, or playing this role well. Very surprised they bought Osvaldo considering Borriello is quite similar.

Why didn't Enrique buy a fast winger??? All these big lumbering guys like Osvaldo, Borriello... or old Totti. Bojan's the only one with any energy in him (maybe Lamela too, but I haven't seen him).

Anyway, they signed well, and as long as Bojan plays I'll be happy.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Nice thread guys Thumbs up Thumbs up

Three days ago, our starting 11 would've been pretty predictable. But now, after our 4 last minute signings, it's anyone's call. Lamela is out injured (still from the U-20 World Cup), Juan is just coming back from injury so might not start, while Cicinho is also injured. Pjanic probably won't play next week either, since he's off on international duty and hasn't even met his teammates yet. Gago is more likely to start in midfield. We'll most probably start like this next week:

Stekelenburg

Cassetti Kjaer Burdisso Angel

De Rossi

Gago Perrotta

Osvaldo Totti Bojan

Totti won't play as an out and out striker (and never has). He always drops back into midfield and directs play, he never lost his trequartista habits. This would allow Osvaldo to cut in and naturally go to goal without causing as much congestion as if, say, Borriello were in Totti's spot. Actually, for those of you doubting Totti's use, we absolutely need him on the pitch given our lack of real wingers. Our only players capable of playing on the wings are Taddei and Lamela, everyone else (Borriello, Bojan, Osvaldo, Borini, Okaka, Caprari) are all strikers. If Totti were not to play, we would lose so much creativity in our play and have real trouble getting through to goal. Some of you are saying Totti is too old; yes, he's ageing unfortunately, but he's still good enough to play an important role. Last year, at 34 years old, he was undoubtedly our best player and we still lack a proper replacement for him (Lamela is probably best suited, but still unproven, he needs lots of time). When he's on form, no one is good enough to take that starting spot from him.

We have a few pages talking strictly about tactics in our section. If anyone's interested, take a look.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 pm

BarcaKizz wrote:Yes its very interesting... I think we're just having wild guesses until they play the first game. Looking forward to seeing it.

The Fonz's formation was something I thought of, and the other one was Dani's with Totti wide and Ozvaldo through the middle.

My questions are...

Why does everyone expect a 'false 9' so much?? Enrique didn't use this, he had Soriano. Its also not really the normal 'Barca way', its just Pep has adapted the system to get the best out of a freak player in Messi. Have the best player in the world, build the best team in the world around him. Totti's good and normally plays as a 10, but I don't think we should expect this yet.

Assuming they play 4-3-3... can Totti play in a wide position? He's old and slow and won't be full of energy like you need. So essentially, he has to start centrally I believe. Moving onto the second question... Can Osvaldo play as an inside forward?? Like Dani said, he's a target man. I don't see him liking, or playing this role well. Very surprised they bought Osvaldo considering Borriello is quite similar.

Why didn't Enrique buy a fast winger??? All these big lumbering guys like Osvaldo, Borriello... or old Totti. Bojan's the only one with any energy in him (maybe Lamela too, but I haven't seen him).

I think Totti is false 9 because of his style these days.

What I mean is, he probably should be playing number second striker. But nobody wants to play 2 up front because it means one less midfielder and less protection.

So he is played up front, because we wont work hard, but at least he wont damage the defensive side of the game.

His playing style means he never stays up front, he drops deep, therefore, he is tagged "false 9".
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 pm

The Franchise wrote:
BarcaKizz wrote:Yes its very interesting... I think we're just having wild guesses until they play the first game. Looking forward to seeing it.

My questions are...

I think Totti is false 9 because of his style these days.

What I mean is, he probably should be playing number second striker. But nobody wants to play 2 up front because it means one less midfielder and less protection.

So he is played up front, because we wont work hard, but at least he wont damage the defensive side of the game.

His playing style means he never stays up front, he drops deep, therefore, he is tagged "false 9".

He isn't played up front because he damages the defensive aspect of our teams, he does work rather hard. But it's because it allows greater fluidity in our game. Spalletti was the first person to use him as a striker, but had him drop back and control the ball. He, along with Pizarro, dictated play while having our wingers and attacking midfielder, Perrotta (who is more of a box-to-box midfielder but adapts to any position) making those dangerous runs through the opposition's backline. It was essentially a striker-less formation and Totti grew accustomed to that role. He likes having the extra space in front of him which allows him to go for goal as he pleases, but naturally drops back in line with our midfield. You could call it "false 9" or whatever you wish, but it was quite innovative at the time of its introduction and it requires someone of Totti's passing/goalscoring ability, which is why Borriello cannot really adapt to such a role. I've been looking at Enrique's style and it isn't all that different from Spalletti's. The key difference is the possession play; Enrique absolutely wants to keep the ball on the ground and to never attempt the long ball forward. Spalletti (and even Zeman), on the other hand, liked the occasional verticalization and long ball forward to start the quick counter, which means that Pizarro will be out of favor. The only thing I see Totti having problems with now is the incredible amount of pressure that Enrique wants us to apply from the front when defending. Most strikers need their moments of rest which they will not get now; Bojan won't have a problem with it if the preseason is anything to go by, but Totti, despite being in good shape now, may have difficulty adhering to those demands.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:05 am

This team looks very interesting. I am mainly interested in Gago, who the Real Madrid section has lost faith in, but I am also intersted in Bojan and Lamela.

Lamela has really divided opinions.Some people say he isn't anything special and some swear he is as talented as neymar and godtze.

Bojan............I hope he performs well

, I really like Roma and was pretty devastated by their drop off in recent years since the gory days of casssano and totti.Overall this has re ignited my interest in Serie A. Lastly I look forwad to watching tiki taka I can actually enjoy without crying.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:37 am

ErPupone wrote:13 purchases and 11 sales, 65.5 million euros spent and an intake amounting to 25.6 million euros, therefore a negative balance which settles on 40 million euros. These are the figures of the transfer campaign just completed by Thomas Di Benedetto's new Roma, who was able to turn the hearts of fans, too long accustomed to not being able to live the transfer market as protagonists. A team totally revolutionized and rejuvenated in all departments which sees its pride in the purchases of Miralem Pjanic and Bojan Krkic, youngsters who already have considerable experience in Europe, and Erik Lamela, the Argentine tightrope walker chased by the big of the football world who, thanks to the work and conviction of Walter Sabatini, has chosen Roma to express his talent. Only three sales were profitable to Roma: In addition to the consensual termination of Doni's contract, the loans of Julio Sergio, Stefano Guberti and Matteo Brighi, the end of the loans for Guillermo Burdisso and Paolo Castellini and the expiration of the contracts of Philippe Mexes and Simone Loria, leaving Trigoria permanently were John Arne Riise, the Norwegian full-back with a deadly left foot, sold to Fulham for 2.6 million euros, Jérémy Menez, the French promise that failed to maintain the expectations of the Roman piazza, sold to French side Paris Saint Germain for 8 million euros and Mirko Vucinic, whose relationship with the fans and the environment in general had deteriorated for some time now, who has chosen to move to Juventus for a fee of 15 million euros.

Here's a detailed analysis of the new players who will wear the Giallorossi jersey this season:

Gianluca Curci: Cost only 500 euros for the resolution of the co-ownership with Sampdoria, the team he played with last season, returns to Rome to play for the post of back-up keeper withr Lobont.

Maarten Stekelenburg: Dutch, 29, goalkeeper. Taken for 6.3 million euros from Ajax, the giant oranje will be the tutelary deity of the new Rome. Does not lack experience and leadership, playing as a starter in the last World Cup with his native Holland, arriving in the final.

Simon Kjaer: Danish, 22, central defender. Taken on loan for 3 million euros with the option to buy for 7 million, was the name that was most heavily linked with Roma during the last days of the transfer window. Arriving in Rome on August 26 to perform medical examinations, was called back to Germany the next day due to problems with the German club related to the formula of the transfer. When everything seemed blurred and lost, the desire of the player to be part of the new project made the difference and a few hours before the close of the window, an agreement was reached with Wolfsburg. Having played two seasons with the shirt of Palermo, Kjaer is very familiar with Italian football and will guide the Roma backline along with Burdisso, while awaiting the return of Juan from injury.

Gabriel Heinze: Argentina, 31, central defender. Taken on a free transfer, a purchase in contrast with Roma's new policy, being the only player over 30 years old among the new faces in the capital. With great experience, has an Olympic gold medal in his collection and played several seasons with Manchester United and Real Madrid, with whom he also won a Championship. Difficult to find him a place in Luis Enrique's tactical module, who in the recent Champions League double-header preferred Marco Cassetti in the middle.

Loic Nego: French, 20, right-back. He, like Heinze taken on a free transfer, is the mysterious object of the Roma transfer market. He played in all the levels of France's youth football, winning the UEFA European Under-19 and competing in the World category as Lamela but has not yet been seen in a Roma jersey. Could find his opportunities in this early season, because of Cicinho's injury.

Jose Angel Valdes: Spanish, 22 years old on September 5th, left-back. Taken for 4.5 million euros from Sporting Gijon, will have the task of making us forget John Arne Riise. After the smears in the friendly against Valencia, José Ángel recovered at large, being one of the best players in the unlikely double-header with Slovan Bratislava, showing all his repertoire: excellent technique, strong offensive propensity, large running capacity and sinister. Will definitely be a starter, especially given Enrique's lack of alternatives.

Fernando Gago: Argentine, 25, midfielder. Taken on loan from Real Madrid for a fee of 0.5 million euros, with the arrival of Mourinho had lost his place in midfield with the Merengues, in four years has played 92 matches winning two championships. Prefers playing deep as a playmaker, good defensively, will have the task of breaking up opposing moves and quickly restarting offensive movements.

Miralem Pjanic: Bosnian, 21, midfielder. Taken for 11 million euros from Lyon, was the icing on the cake of the Roman market. Linked to us in the last 48 hours, the deal was conducted excellently by Roma, which has obtained the services of this versatile player who can play all the roles from the midline up, with a particular penchant for riding up-field with the ball all the way to goal. His shot from outside will definitely hurt.

Erik Lamela: Argentina, 19, midfielder. Taken for 12 million euros from River Plate after winning the competition from teams all over Europe. Celebrity in Argentina, has been able to excite the minds of all Roma fans, which are already in love with this little velvet left midfielder, adaptable to playing as external attacker. Nicknamed "El Coco", very reminiscent of Kaka in his way of playing. It will take another month to see him in action due to a small ankle injury remedied in the Under 20 World Cup, in which he played a leading role with the albiceleste.

Bojan Krkic Perez: Spanish, 21 year old striker. Taken for 12 million euros from Barcelona does not need any introduction, the numbers speak for him. Made his debut for Barca in 2007, after tearing apart all youth team goalscoring records, with 648 goals in the Catalan youth teams in eight years, the youngest player of all time to tread the fields of the Champions League on October 20 of the same year as well as becoming the youngest starter in the history of Barça, and with his goal against Villareal, took the youngest goalscorer title off Lionel Messi.

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo: Argentina, 25 year old striker. Taken for 15 million euros from Espanyol, has raised some eyebrows among more than most professionals because of the cost of his transfer. Strongly desired by Luis Enrique, inspired by striker Gabriel Batistuta, has already played in Italy with several teams, to be precise Atalanta, Lecce, Fiorentina and Bologna, never able to make his mark with just 18 total goals scored in almost 100 appearances. Moving to Spain in January 2009, he was revitalized, scoring 21 goals in 46 matches for Espanyol, using his skills in the penalty area combined with a good technique.

Fabio Borini: Italian, 20 year old striker. Taken on loan from Parma for an expensive 1.25 million euros, with an option to buy for 7 million. Despite his young age can hardly be considered a beginner: pupil of Carlo Ancelotti, who wanted him with Chelsea in London, has been put in good light in the Blues reserve team until his loan at Swansea City, whose promotion was featured in the Premier League with 6 goals in 12 games, an accomplishment for an average of one goal for every two games played. Will come to Rome to gain experience but his high transfer fee makes us assume that he'll find lots of space.

-Original article from Vocegiallorossa.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:00 am

Great find Al, thanks for posting it Thumbs up

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 am

OFF TOPIC: AS Roma Tumblr_lpmtmdiPKM1qlro9f

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Roma 1 - 2 Calgari

OFF TOPIC: AS Roma B203284ca6deb4470ac3295692b3dab9
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Bojan was disappointing against Cagliari, he had lots of trouble getting himself settled into the match. Still unsure whether or not he'll start against Inter this Saturday, but if he does, I think he'll probably find himself a little more at ease given Inter's problems at the back so far this season. His pace may be a very important asset for us in this match. He'll have to contend with Osvaldo, Borriello and Borini though, to grab one of the two starting spots remaining.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 am

Spalletti invented the modern false 9, so I think totti, the player who was first used as the modern false 9 knows how it works tbh. Barcelona didn't invent the false 9, Roma did.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:38 am

ErPupone wrote:Bojan was disappointing against Cagliari, he had lots of trouble getting himself settled into the match. Still unsure whether or not he'll start against Inter this Saturday, but if he does, I think he'll probably find himself a little more at ease given Inter's problems at the back so far this season. His pace may be a very important asset for us in this match. He'll have to contend with Osvaldo, Borriello and Borini though, to grab one of the two starting spots remaining.

Yeah he was rubbish, but Roma's other options for me are like putting a square peg in a round hole. They aren't the sort of players suited to the position. I'm really not sure why he kept Boriello and also bought Osvaldo. It would be ok if they played as a genuine number 9, but Totti is there. Roma should have looked at buying more mobile forwards/ wingers.

I think he should have faith in Bojan just because he's clearly the right player for that position. He'll come good, he looked comfy in pre-season. Playing Boriello and Osvaldo won't make a very productive forwardline.

IMO they should have done everything in their power to keep either Vucinic or Menez... Bojan-Totti-Vucinic would be an excellent forwardline... and Boriello and Lamela could back up.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:20 pm

jibers wrote:Spalletti invented the modern false 9, so I think totti, the player who was first used as the modern false 9 knows how it works tbh. Barcelona didn't invent the false 9, Roma did.

Thumbs up

BarcaKizz wrote:
ErPupone wrote:Bojan was disappointing against Cagliari, he had lots of trouble getting himself settled into the match. Still unsure whether or not he'll start against Inter this Saturday, but if he does, I think he'll probably find himself a little more at ease given Inter's problems at the back so far this season. His pace may be a very important asset for us in this match. He'll have to contend with Osvaldo, Borriello and Borini though, to grab one of the two starting spots remaining.

Yeah he was rubbish, but Roma's other options for me are like putting a square peg in a round hole. They aren't the sort of players suited to the position. I'm really not sure why he kept Boriello and also bought Osvaldo. It would be ok if they played as a genuine number 9, but Totti is there. Roma should have looked at buying more mobile forwards/ wingers.

I think he should have faith in Bojan just because he's clearly the right player for that position. He'll come good, he looked comfy in pre-season. Playing Boriello and Osvaldo won't make a very productive forwardline.

IMO they should have done everything in their power to keep either Vucinic or Menez... Bojan-Totti-Vucinic would be an excellent forwardline... and Boriello and Lamela could back up.

I'm glad we kept Borriello because we absolutely needed one physical striker to complement our other attackers like Totti, Bojan and Lamela. He's the only one that would allow us to play the occasional long ball forward, though Enrique is discouraging those plays which we were accustomed to with our previous coaches. And when he came on against Cagliari, he actually did rather well and nearly scored on his first attempt on goal, just like Borini. The Osvaldo acquisition is a little strange. He's an ok player, but I think we overpaid for him. We'll give him time to show his worth, hopefully he could be the reincarnation of Batistuta (but that's really wishful thinking). I was expecting a winger as well, but we had a lot of transfers to deal with, I would expect a winger to arrive next summer when we'll have a better idea of what kind of team we have.

As for Vucinic and Menez, we had our hands tied with those transfers. Menez was way too lazy and was never going to be able to fit into Enrique's system imo. He has to play in the middle behind two strikers in order to be effective. Whenever he plays on the wing, he just gets lost and disappears. He wanted to leave so we just let him go. As for Vucinic, our management really wanted to hang on to him, but the relationship between him and the fans hit rock bottom last season. He needed a different challenge so we had to let him go, though I think we should have sold him abroad.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next