The Nature Boy
rwo power
Ganso
Zealous
Sushi Master
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why are poachers underrated? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why are poachers underrated?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't think poachers are completely reliant on service. If that were true Higuain and Gomez would only score tap ins, which is clearly not the case.

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by uzonero Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 pm

poachers flop big time if their team is having a bad game unlike technical strikers who can win games by producing just a magical moment, which is the beauty of football
uzonero
uzonero
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:49 pm

In a counter attacking team a guy waiting to poach is better IMO as you've to be conservative and clinical.

I'd prefer a Benzema-type of player though in possession football, where the striker patricipates in build up. A poacher in the end does the thing that decides games and that is scoring. Link up and passing doesn't do a squat unless you score.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:03 pm

It's wrong labeling Higuain a poacher.He's an ex winger,which is why it's so strange how he got that good in poaching.Just the feeling of movement I guess...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 pm

VibeTribe wrote:It's wrong labeling Higuain a poacher.He's an ex winger,which is why it's so strange how he got that good in poaching.Just the feeling of movement I guess...

I agree, his crosses are actually very good and he tends to drift to the wing. But he does have brilliant runs so he can get in poaching situations. He is more of a mix between a poacher and a right winger.

Last edited by omarish on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 pm

The whole Benzema thing is BS. He creates his own chances? ROFL. Benzema has good technique but he doesn't create his own chances, that's utter BS. Fact is, Higuain is a better finisher, Madrid don't need a player that can take great touches at the front if not they'd get berba. Higuain and Gomez have average technique? This is new to me. The only reason that poachers are underrated is because of their supposed lack of versatility. Modern football is becoming more tactical and the ability to adapt to various positions is seen as a good trait, at the end of the day, Gerd Muller is a better attacker than every player of this generation bar messi. Gomez is his spiritual heir. If you have a striker that gets you goals then what else do you want? Rooney isn't a better striker than Gomez ffs, get real. Rooney is many things but a great gs he is not. What does being better mean in this case? Goals, assists, team play? The only forward that creates his own chances is messi and even that is arguble. Ronaldo has the traits of a poacher as well ffs. Gomez is the best finisher in Europe. (Messi is not considered). People need to get off their high horses, read somwhere in the benz vs gomes thread that benz is bette based on pure talent...wtf does that mean. Some people will say anything.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Jibers... you missed the whole point dude. Some players only contribution is to score goals. Others get goals, create goals, help with the buildup when midfield is having issues etc.

And Rooney is a better player than Gomez hands down. His pitch impact is 10x that of Gomez. Of course he's not as prolific a scorer... but he shouldn't be given how many different areas of the pitch he impacts. It's not like he sits in or around the box the whole game waiting for someone to give him a shot opportunity like Gomez.

And I'm not bashing Gomez because i think he's great. But we're comparing goalscorers to strikers that impact the pitch much more than goals.

It's always going to be hard to talk about because one aspect is very statistical while the other aspects are subjective. Personally, i think CFs needs to take care of stats and then add the rest. Benzema, Rooney, etc. do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 pm

My issue here is the idea that "poachers" are basically moving traffic cones that can not pass, hold the ball or touch it more than twice before it goes out for a throw in.

You can still be technically gifted and have that instinct to score.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Higgy was a striker it's just that he had the ability to play wide as well.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Yeah Pipa was always a CF since his River Plate days. He just played winger for us so he could have a chance at starting. (since we had Ruud and Raul)
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:10 am

We used to have Argentinian primera here on TV,I distinctively remember him being on the wing all the time,never saw him as a striker.His play seemed pretty natural to me,can't say for sure though...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:11 am

Godmez isn't a pure poacher, neither are Higgy or Cavani! Very Happy Huntelaar is one and he sucks because of it... eco smile Falcao is your true modern poacher Very Happy

Last edited by babun1024 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:11 am

babun1024 wrote:Godmez isn't a pure poacher! Very Happy Huntelaar is one and he sucks because of it... eco smile

Dafuq
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 am

babun1024 wrote:Godmez isn't a pure poacher, neither is Higgy or Cavani! Very Happy Huntelaar is one and he sucks because of it... Why are poachers underrated? - Page 2 2222139670 Falcao is your true modern poacher Very Happy

inb4 drama
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:17 am

Manchester City = Aguero & Dzeko (Technical striker)

Bayern Munich = Gomez (Typical Poacher)

Bayern Munich 2:0 Man City 0, match decided by a poacher.
Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 am

Idrisozet wrote:Manchester City = Aguero & Dzeko (Technical striker)

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

Bayren is a gelled team filled with motivated player who work for the team.
City filled with overpayed above average players, and primaddona's who never functioned as a team.

Victory is a team sport, but I get your point.

Poachers ultimately may decide whether the team's effort count for something or not. You can huff and puff for 90 minutes but you will have nothing to show for it if you didn't score.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:21 am

Lord Spencer wrote:

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

City filled with overpayed above average players, and primaddona's who never functioned as a team.

Poachers ultimately may decide whether the team's effort count for something or not. You can huff and puff for 90 minutes but you will have nothing to show for it if you didn't score.
You're deluded if you think that Godmez doesn't contribute to team efforts Very Happy Take him away and Robbery would be starved from space because he makes 2 CBs busy all the time and still manages to score Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:27 am

babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

You're deluded if you think that Godmez doesn't contribute to team efforts Very Happy Take him away and Robbery would be starved from space because he makes 2 CBs busy all the time and still manages to score Very Happy

And if you take away Robbery Gomez will be isolated up front. I said its a team effort, I did not claim Gomez did not contribute to the team effort.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:29 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

And if you take away Robbery Gomez will be isolated up front. I said its a team effort, I did not claim Gomez did not contribute to the team effort.
If he contributes to the team effort then he isn't just a poacher. See the contradiction to your earlier post? Very Happy
He carried Bayern when both Robbery were injured. If you come up with Godmez can't do anything on his own, Bayern reached CL qualification this way (without Robbery for most part of last year and with a horrible defence) Very Happy

Last edited by babun1024 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

By the way if I could remember both Gomez goals in that game where re-bound

Had nothing to do with Ribery, Pure poacher instinct.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 am

Poachers can't be poachers in the classical sence nowadays, as Z pointed out.

They need some sort of technical skill and great workrate in order to survive today's lone striker formations and heavily populated midfields and defenses.

But the scoring instinct is what sets them apart from the rest. This is something very rarely learnt and a more natural skill. It's more a mental aspect.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:29 am

babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:
babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

If he contributes to the team effort then he isn't just a poacher. See the contradiction to your earlier post? Very Happy
He carried Bayern when both Robbery were injured. If you come up with Godmez can't do anything on his own, Bayern reached CL qualification this way (without Robbery for most part of last year and with a horrible defence) Very Happy

But it was not me who introduced the term poacher, as I was responding to Idris who introduced the term. So I did not contradict myself by using another guys term.

And don't lie, Gomez made 27 league appearance and Ribbery a part of the two wingers was present in 22 games, and in those games had 11 assists most of them to Gomez. Not to mention the big part Muller and Bastian played in that team. To pretend that Gomez is the single reason Bayern are in the CL is because of Gomez is both ignorant and stupid. As Gomez strongest return came when the team was bossing after the winter break.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:33 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:
babun1024 wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

Gomez 2 goals.

See what I did there

But it was not me who introduced the term poacher, as I was responding to Idris who introduced the term. So I did not contradict myself by using another guys term.

And don't lie, Gomez made 27 league appearance and Ribbery a part of the two wingers was present in 22 games, and in those games had 11 assists most of them to Gomez. Not to mention the big part Muller and Bastian played in that team. To pretend that Gomez is the single reason Bayern are in the CL is because of Gomez is both ignorant and stupid. As Gomez strongest return came when the team was bossing after the winter break.
Your argument was that Gomez needs both Robbery to do his job. He doesn't. Present in 22 games as coming back from injuries or substitutes? Very Happy 11 goals from 44? Very Happy Seems like a whole lot Very Happy
Of course, he carried Bayern. Goals win you games, he stepped up at the right time Very Happy Why do you think strikers are so expensive? Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:41 am

Ok, Gomez didn't "carry" Bayern to CL qualification, but he made the job a HELL of a lot easier.

Especially considering he was the only fit striker at the time with Olic injured and Klose off form. He went under massive pressure and showed his worth, which is commendable.

And yes, pressure at Bayern is just as big as in other big European clubs.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:44 am

No, my argument is that needs the team. Robbery were just the best creative links. But they wouldn't be of any use either if it were not for the Solid Bastian, and the really underrated Muller.

Strikers are expensive because of marketing tactics, and the way the end product is being constantly displayed since there is no method to display the complete build up. Put ant star striker into Lecce, and I guarantee they wouldn't be able to drag that team past the mid-table.

And it is 39 goals. 28 in the league, and 11 assists in the league from Ribery. 11/28 is quite good.

I am no means using it to belittle Gomez. Kudos to him for a great year, and if he does it again, and I think he will, I will be the first to say he is the greatest striker today.

Usually strikers get 3-4 years where they are on the top of their game. Gomez started the first, and let us see if he continues the run.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 am

Lord Spencer wrote:No, my argument is that needs the team. Robbery were just the best creative links. But they wouldn't be of any use either if it were not for the Solid Bastian, and the really underrated Muller.

Strikers are expensive because of marketing tactics, and the way the end product is being constantly displayed since there is no method to display the complete build up. Put ant star striker into Lecce, and I guarantee they wouldn't be able to drag that team past the mid-table.

And it is 39 goals. 28 in the league, and 11 assists in the league from Ribery. 11/28 is quite good.

I am no means using it to belittle Gomez. Kudos to him for a great year, and if he does it again, and I think he will, I will be the first to say he is the greatest striker today.

Usually strikers get 3-4 years where they are on the top of their game. Gomez started the first, and let us see if he continues the run.
He scored 35 goals fro Stuttgart in their Bundesliga winning season Very Happy First year? eco smile You're kidding. To put it on the table he scored more goals per game in the last 5 years than Rooney with worse teams Very Happy Or do you consider Manu weak? Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next