The Nature Boy
rwo power
Ganso
Zealous
Sushi Master
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why are poachers underrated? Empty Why are poachers underrated?

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:40 pm

This seems to be a trend lately on the board. It seems most people prefer guys with flashy technical skills but not much efficiency to complete goal machines which are more effective, IMO.

I know not all playing styles can incorporate a poacher, and people seem to have the idea of poachers being "lulz, he only scurs tap ins" which can be false, since not all are selfish and goal hungry and can contribute much to teamplay.

Yes, tecnically gifted players are more versatile, can usually play in more areas of the pitch and don't make the team reliant on one player to score, but there's something you can't argue against: Poachers get you a shit load of goals, which is what wins you games. Inzaghi, RVN and co seem to be a thing of the past, everyone relying on packing the midfield these days.

But now we have Gomez, Higuain, Falcao, Chicharito and Ameobi. All technically average players but with a huge eye and instict for goal. Milito was completely vital in Inter's triple and Messi is so good he can play everything.

Yet we have comments such as "I'd choose Roonay to Gomez any day, lol" and Benzema supposedly being better than Higuain for 6 months of decent form. NOTICE: not saying these guys are bad players, they are great players, but IMO, a pure poacher is a much more effective player to have.

So why the poacher hate? And now that I think of it, Cristiano has all the characteristics of a great poacher banana
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Why are poachers underrated? Empty Re: Why are poachers underrated?

Post by Zealous Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:49 pm

"But now we have Gomez, Higuain, Falcao, Chicharito and Ameobi"

Subtle yet effective Laughing

Anyway I think it's because these types of players make scoring look easy so it's simple to say "anyone can do that" and dismiss them as inferior to someone who has a bit more flair to his play.

The reality of the matter is that if it were so easy to score these "tap ins" more players would be doing so more consistently.

Dummy runs, reading of play, anticipation of rebounds, passes crosses and mistakes all the while trying to get rid of your marker by drifting into space is not easy.

It's the sign of a smart player with a cultured style of play. Having said all that it just isn't THAT fun to watch unless it comes at the end of a great team move.

Poachers are vegetables you need them in the meal that is football. Flair players are the dessert most people would rather have the later.

Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Zealous wrote:"But now we have Gomez, Higuain, Falcao, Chicharito and Ameobi"

Subtle yet effective Laughing

Anyway I think it's because these types of players make scoring look easy so it's simple to say "anyone can do that" and dismiss them as inferior to someone who has a bit more flair to his play.

The reality of the matter is that if it were so easy to score these "tap ins" more players would be doing so more consistently.

Dummy runs, reading of play, anticipation of rebounds, passes crosses and mistakes all the while trying to get rid of your marker by drifting into space is not easy.

It's the sign of a smart player with a cultured style of play. Having said all that it just isn't THAT fun to watch unless it comes at the end of a great team move.

Poachers are vegetables you need them in the meal that is football. Flair players are the dessert most people would rather have the later.

yes,but poachers are very dependable on their companions unlike Rooney or Benz who can decide the game by themselves.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Ganso wrote:yes,but poachers are very dependable on their companions unlike Rooney or Benz who can decide the game by themselves.
Well, last time I checked, football was a *team* sport and not an individual sport Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:59 pm

It's not that poachers are underrated... they are rated for their goalscoring only because that's their main quality. Having a poacher forces a formation to play two wing forwards and an attacking AM. It's impossible to play a 4-3-3 with a poacher with any effectiveness. Also, a poacher is completely reliant on service and offers no solutions if a team is struggling to get the ball to the box.

Just the limitations of a poacher individually and for the team make its rating limited.

In the modern game, the ability to play multiple roles at a high level and be effective in multiple formations are just much more valuable. I personally prefer if the forwards share the scoring load as opposed to having one dominate that department... it makes it much more difficult to strategize against.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 pm

rwo power wrote:Well, last time I checked, football was a *team* sport and not an individual sport Very Happy

a player who can decide them game by himself still needs his team though...

Poachers were a dying breed. I am a poacher lover myself... Inzaghi, Trezeguet, Van Nistelrooy, Hubner, etc., were some of the most exciting players to watch becasue they could (in their own way) decide the game by themselves... u just never knew when it was going to happen, but u knew it would
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Sushi Master wrote:now that I think of it, Cristiano has all the characteristics of a great poacher banana

except effectiveness :coffee:

poachers aren't rated as highly as other players because the modern game requires a player to do a lot more than just score, that's why only a few of the really elite strikers can afford to do nothing but finishing, because they're really good at it
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Scoring hat tricks for fun isn't deciding the game by yourself? scratch

Poachers being dependable on service is a myth. Falcao, Gomez and Higuain have all insane workrate. Due to most teams adapting a lone striker formation, these guys have to work their asses off and aren't as 2 dimensional as classical poachers.

They also have decent technical skills. Not great, but decent. They are there! I feel most people think of poachers as Heskey but with killer instinct.

Yeah, I agree with the Z. All those tap ins and whatnot seem so damn easy because these guys have ice cool nerves and composure. I'm sure if one of those flashy players got those chances, half of them would be sent flying or straight at the keeper.

If you'd look at a compilation of Gomez' goals, you'd laugh your ass off since most of them are very awkward or easy looking, yet a goal is a goal. Same goes to Higgs only scoring tap ins with Argentina when he's the only one scoring.

Seems people write off a goal because it was too easy or you didn't Messi past 5 players and then boomed it into the top corner. A goal is a goal, simple as that. Just remember how Inzaghi celebrated his Very Happy
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Higuain, Gomez and Falcao aren't technically average though...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Scoring hat tricks for fun isn't deciding the game by yourself? scratch

Poachers being dependable on service is a myth. Falcao, Gomez and Higuain have all insane workrate. Due to most teams adapting a lone striker formation, these guys have to work their asses off and aren't as 2 dimensional as classical poachers.

They also have decent technical skills. Not great, but decent. They are there! I feel most people think of poachers as Heskey but with killer instinct.

Yeah, I agree with the Z. All those tap ins and whatnot seem so damn easy because these guys have ice cool nerves and composure. I'm sure if one of those flashy players got those chances, half of them would be sent flying or straight at the keeper.

If you'd look at a compilation of Gomez' goals, you'd laugh your ass off since most of them are very awkward or easy looking, yet a goal is a goal. Same goes to Higgs only scoring tap ins with Argentina when he's the only one scoring.

Seems people write off a goal because it was too easy or you didn't Messi past 5 players and then boomed it into the top corner. A goal is a goal, simple as that. Just remember how Inzaghi celebrated his Very Happy

perfect example of the red part:

last night i the Rome Derby a roma player floated a delightful ball in between the keeper and the back line, with Bojan in the box to finish (as he was the intended target)... but Bojan didnt take the chance to run at the keeper and get that tap in... he doesnt have the natural instinct or ice cold composure to just get there infront of/before everyone. Not everyone is born with it, not everyone has the balls to do it, that is why the ones that are good at it are so noticeable, and subsequently hated on
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:04 pm

It's not anything outstanding nor at they the type to dribble past 3 players, though.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Scoring hat tricks for fun isn't deciding the game by yourself? scratch

no

i'd hazard a guess that over 80% of gomez's or higuain's goals are assisted, meaning that someone had to provide the forward with a direct goalscoring chance
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:06 pm

not imo ,for example,just look at the last higuain hat-trick,great service.He depends a lot on Marcelo/CR/Ozil/Xabi/Di Maria/Kaka.Now if we take benz for example,he isnt as reliant as higuain on his teammates to perform well,sometimes even the contrary since hes great at creating chances.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 pm

God, Sevilla defenders are really really ridiculous *watches Che's gif*
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Yeah... then you forgot my small difference: these guys will bury most of their chances, while Benz or whatever might not. If you already have decent service, it's better to have someone to bury it than someone with more creativity and flair, when you already have enough of it. Someone explain how scoring a shitload of goals doesn't win you games when the whole point of the game is to score goals?

@king_alex: Exactly, man. Compare that Bojan chance to the one Klose got at the last minute. Very relaxed control, a short moment of clarity, and then just an ice cool shot into the net. Pure instinct, not something everyone has.

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Klose is far from being a poacher though lol. He's absolutely great at linkup and is a very good passer. He has poaching skills... but he's much, much more than that.

Poachers are great if you can afford to defend with one less player basically. One of the mids will have to play a more advanced role to help with the build up. It's too specialized for me. Creates imbalance.

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Sushi Master wrote:If you already have decent service

that's exactly the point

take away the service from gomez or higuain and they'd be completely *bleep*

take away the service from villa or benzema and they'd cope pretty easily

again, sure, poaching is a nice skill to have if you can afford to have players who are focused solely on finishing
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Cause football is a beautiful sport and they have the least glamorous skill a forward can have,which profits mostly from another guys work or mistake.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:29 pm

That's not what Higuain is creating banana

But I agree you need a very good midfield in order to serve and protect a poacher. Then again, modern day poachers are all hardworking guys who backtrack and have to help out in defense.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:44 pm

A poacher's greatest ability is to score on games where their team is not controlling. As Inzaghi did in the 2007 CL final, and Muller in the 74 WC final.

None of the modern poachers is yet to showcase the ability to do so, wand only time will rate them as they are due.

Meanwhile. excuse me if I don't get excited over hat-tricks against minnows. The Iron test will be in the CL. Waiting is never a problem.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberman Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

[quote="Sushi Master"]That's not what Higuain is creating banana

But I agree you need a very good midfield in order to serve and protect a poacher. Then again, modern day poachers are all hardworking guys who backtrack and have to help out in defense. [/quote]

no you ont, look at hernandez

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah, well, that's the mark of a great poacher. They create chances out of nothing.

Hernandez is fed by Rooney which is nothing to sneeze at. Also ManU have awesome wingers.

Spencer has a point that these guys haven't been trully tested in the big boy stage yet, but Gomez has been doing very well in the CL so far and Falcao had a spectacular Europa League run.

Higgs if on form can go very far with Madrid. We're gonna have to wait.

Poachers are still underrated, in any case.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Teams without poachers get success more these days (barca, m.u). Its like with poacher you play with 10 man. 1 man always waiting there for chances. But without poacher you play with 11 men and everybody participates in attack and build up
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:A poacher's greatest ability is to score on games where their team is not controlling. As Inzaghi did in the 2007 CL final, and Muller in the 74 WC final.

None of the modern poachers is yet to showcase the ability to do so, wand only time will rate them as they are due.

Meanwhile. excuse me if I don't get excited over hat-tricks against minnows. The Iron test will be in the CL. Waiting is never a problem.
Couldnt agree more +1,been thinking about it for a while,just didnt want to sound like a party pooper
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm

I don't think poachers are completely reliant on service. If that were true Higuain and Gomez would only score tap ins, which is clearly not the case.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next