First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Wenger Appreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Wenger Appreciation Thread

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:Has become the first manager to lose 50 games in CL

What a man rofl

How many CL games has he managed though? And who else comes close to that number apart from SAF?
Pretty weak there, Nick.

There was some stat that he has managed more CL games than every club but 4 participating.

Defeat was Arsene Wenger's 50th during his 169 games in the competition

Record was miles miles better till 2011 though. We have lost far more in the last 4 years.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:14 pm

RealGunner wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:Has become the first manager to lose 50 games in CL

What a man rofl

How many CL games has he managed though? And who else comes close to that number apart from SAF?
Pretty weak there, Nick.

There was some stat that he has managed more CL games than every club but 4 participating.

Defeat was Arsene Wenger's 50th during his 169 games in the competition

Record was miles miles better till 2011 though. We have lost far more in the last 4 years.

In the last 4 years Arsenal didn't even try to win it tbh.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Despite having our best squad in years.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:20 pm

RealGunner wrote:Despite having our best squad in years.

Previous years squad would have dismantle Dinamo Zagreb even with 10men, because they all played in their strongest position and Wenger wasn't a mad man. Wink
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:21 pm

Should be sacked if he doesn't knock mourinho out saturday. He's on the ropes and you hate him ffs. Take him out.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 pm

I don't know. I think the strongest squad the Gunners have had since the invincibles was 2007/08 season. If I remember correctly, they topped the table until March...and then they pulled an Arsenal and blew everything away.

Manchester was devastatingly strong at the time, and Ronaldo had risen above everybody else. But still, Arsenal would've won something hadn't they panicked at the last minute. They couldn't handle the pressure I guess.

Arsenal: Class of 2007/08 season >>>>>> The current squad.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:26 pm

The biggest difference between the squads is that the 2008 team had in-form Adebayor, who was undeniably better than any striker we have now.

Everywhere else though I don't see the 2008 squad being decisively better than the current one. The midfields of both squads are about even, while the current defence and keeper are miles better than the 2008 one. I'd take Cech-Koscielny-Mertesacker over Almunia-Gallas-Toure any day. And Gabriel is much better cover than Senderos and Djourou were.

Anyway, as far the Champions League go, the last four years have been less about not trying and more about simply not being good enough.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:22 am

I can't seriously get how any Arsenal fan can support Wenger.
He doesn't sign a striker when it's the thing you needed the most.
He gets your players injured.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:34 am

Because being manager for nearly twenty years and being the greatest manager we've ever had gives him a lot of leeway with supporters. There's also fact that things really aren't as bad with him as manager at the moment as some fans would have you believe.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:35 pm

What I would do to have that 07/08 Adebayor in this team...

Despite him being so inconsistent, he was still the best striker we had bar RVP in the last 10 years Laughing

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Adebayor is great when he's playing for a contract lol.

Less so otherwise....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:07 pm

2007-2008 : The last time I genuinely believed we were title contenders but then we bottled it Very Happy . Something like 1 win, 6 or 7 ties and in 8 straight games :facepalm:
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:54 pm

I think wenger has completely destroyed any kind of pressure on Arsenal as a whole. He has done a great job convincing their supporters and players that top 4 is fine. With that kind of pressure do any one really expect those players to fight for title? Lack of pressure is what is making Arsenal stand still. Everything is fine,not challenging for titles is fine,top 4 is fine, finishing second in group stage is fine, R16 is fine,losing big games is fine,Hlebruary is fine,Giroud is fine,No DM is fine...rinse and repeat.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:56 pm

free_cat wrote:I can't seriously get how any Arsenal fan can support Wenger.
He doesn't sign a striker when it's the thing you needed the most.
He gets your players injured.

I cant stand Wenger, and would love to see him leave but as a fan we have to support what we have.
Wenger makes basic mistakes, not hard to fix but being as stubborn as he is, he will never change.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:57 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Because being manager for nearly twenty years and being the greatest manager we've ever had gives him a lot of leeway with supporters. There's also fact that things really aren't as bad with him as manager at the moment as some fans would have you believe.

We play extremely boring football atm Laughing
Same old stuff. Retain possession, pass it in triangles between DM, CBs and FBs. Get it forward into the midfield to CM, FBs overlap, get the ball to them they bring it back into the midfield because they don't want to cross to Giroud they only cross when Walcott is playing. And we continue doing that passing thing in the final thrid until we somehow get a goal in some way finally. It's true I'm not that invested in the matches anymore and it is probably because of that, I do it more out of love and habit, and when we fck up I rarely get upset anymore.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't disagree about the style, really. Most of the time we aren't that fun to watch. My point was more about how results-wise and our position as a club aren't as bad as some make out.

Mind you, it's maybe not as good as some would have you believe, either.

Everything is fine,not challenging for titles is fine,top 4 is fine, finishing second in group stage is fine, R16 is fine,losing big games is fine,Hlebruary is fine,Giroud is fine,No DM is fine...rinse and repeat.

I haven't met a single fan with this mindset.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:41 pm

El Gunner wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:Because being manager for nearly twenty years and being the greatest manager we've ever had gives him a lot of leeway with supporters. There's also fact that things really aren't as bad with him as manager at the moment as some fans would have you believe.

Same old stuff. Retain possession, pass it in triangles between DM, CBs and FBs. Get it forward into the midfield to CM, FBs overlap, get the ball to them they bring it back into the midfield because they don't want to cross to Giroud they only cross when Walcott is playing. And we continue doing that passing thing in the final thrid until we somehow get a goal in some way finally. It's true I'm not that invested in the matches anymore and it is probably because of that, I do it more out of love and habit, and when we fck up I rarely get upset anymore.

I wish we could do that. We always start with Mignolet on the ball who gives it to Skrtel or Lovren with a terrible pass who gives it to FB who gives it back to Skrtel/Lovren who hoofs to Bentekkers. Who wins the header but no one is around him and the other team gets the ball. Rinse and repeat. Every 10 minutes Coutinho somehow manages to get on the ball do something great and then shoot from 40 yards out hitting the post or coming close to scoring but very rarely actually scoring.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:I don't disagree about the style, really. Most of the time we aren't that fun to watch. My point was more about how results-wise and our position as a club aren't as bad as some make out.

Everything is fine,not challenging for titles is fine,top 4 is fine, finishing second in group stage is fine, R16 is fine,losing big games is fine,Hlebruary is fine,Giroud is fine,No DM is fine...rinse and repeat.

Not the fans who has little to no influence on the club. It is about the club, the club is fine with things atm, even top 4 is like a trophy according to them...how far delusional they can be.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Don't call me James wrote:
El Gunner wrote:

I wish we could do that. We always start with Mignolet on the ball who gives it to Skrtel or Lovren with a terrible pass who gives it to FB who gives it back to Skrtel/Lovren who hoofs to Bentekkers. Who wins the header but no one is around him and the other team gets the ball. Rinse and repeat. Every 10 minutes Coutinho somehow manages to get on the ball do something great and then shoot from 40 yards out hitting the post or coming close to scoring but very rarely actually scoring.

rofl
Oh my God, the English game is horrible atm.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Both are preferable to the Tottenham "let's pass it in the midfield between our CB's and midfielders and make sure the offensive players don't get the ball in threatening positions" Hotspurs tbh
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:21 pm

What is this. Are we trying to out-bore each other here? Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Adit wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:I don't disagree about the style, really. Most of the time we aren't that fun to watch. My point was more about how results-wise and our position as a club aren't as bad as some make out.

Not the fans who has little to no influence on the club. It is about the club, the club is fine with things atm, even top 4 is like a trophy according to them...how far delusional they can be.

We have won 4 official trophies in the last 2 years...
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:54 pm

When we play well we are really exciting; it's when we're "jaded" or off form in general that we become predictable and frustrating to watch. That said, are there really that many teams that are any more exciting than us? Not everyone can play like Barcelona and most teams set up specifically to stop us from playing. I'm not too arsed about it.

As for this talk of Arsenal being happy with mediocre returns, we have just won a trophy in back-to-back seasons and the team has gotten stronger in each of the past few years. We didn't get a striker or DM like we certainly could have used for this season but things have improved compared to previous years.

I don't feel my support of Wenger and the team is due to lower expectations; I'm just being realistic given we're better off than we were not so long ago. We could yet have a great year.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:03 pm

The whole 'top 4' finish mindset was only created when Arsene could finish top 4 with this team

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0WEqAtCYAA7eUq.jpg

Our mindset now is to finish top 2 at least. We all went in this season thinking we can genuinely win the title. No one thought top 4 would be a good target.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Denilson :bow:

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend