Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window.

+11
urbaNRoots
El Chelsea Fuerte
Lord Hades
lenear1030
djoe26
Twoism
Sina
Quinten Metsys
Raptorgunner
Jay29
SamuelJayC
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window. Empty Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window.

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Saturday's game with QPR at the Emirates sees the half-way point of the season arise, and Arsenal are in danger of missing out on champions league football next season. Arsenal have finished in the top 4 of the Premier League every season under Arsene Wenger. The last time the club failed to achieve this now-perennial status was in 1996, when Bruce Rioch's side finished 5th, 19 points behind leaders Manchester United. Wenger is very proud of the fact that his side have been amongst the elite at the end of every campaign, but not for the first time, that record is in danger.

It was also in danger in 2006 when Arsenal pipped Tottenham to 4th place on the final day, and it looked in danger in 2009 too, when 4th-placed Aston Villa went into the final 11 games of the season 6 points clear of the gunners. Arsene Wenger managed to see off both challenges and finish above both yet again, but this season could be the most challenging yet.

Race for the top 4:

Tottenham 38*
Chelsea 34
- - - - - -
Arsenal 33
Liverpool 31

*Game in hand

Tottenham's win at Norwich on Tuesday night coincided with Arsenal's failure to beat 10-man Wolves at home made the situation less bearable, but Wenger can still ensure his side finish above their neighbours with the second half of the season on the way. Firstly, the Frenchman needs full-backs to return quickly. Djourou, and more so Vermaelen, have done ok out wide, but the absences of Sagna, Santos, Gibbs and Jenkinson are starting to hurt the side. The lack of an over-lapping wide player to get forward and cross or join the attack is starting to frustrate. Then, the club must continue to do everything to get Wilshere back fit as soon as possible. The England international hasn't kicked a ball this season and the creativity he brings to the side is incomparable with his team-mates - they just don't have the same ability as the midfielder - who turns 20 years old on Sunday. Wilshere's team-mate Diaby has played just 26 minutes this season, and the club must decide whether is enough is enough with the eternally injured French international.

"Diaby has played just 26 minutes, whilst Wilshere hasn't kicked a ball"

Arsenal will improve when some of the injured players return no question - but there are doubts as to whether this will be enough to see the club finish in the top 4. The January window couldn't have come at a better time in the eyes of many, and Wenger has the opportunity to strengthen the squad. Arsenal's summer signings have all done well in their own right, but the absence of an inspired signing, someone to get the fans talking about is quite evident. Edu in 2001, Reyes in 2004, Adebayor in 2006, Arshavin in 2009 - Arsenal have signed good players in January before. The impact Arshavin had in 2008/2009 was instrumental in keeping Wenger's side in the top 4, whilst Adebayor (62 goals in 143 appearances) despite his antics was a good goal scorer. But this January, Wenger arguably needs to top the lot and get in at least two top-class players to ensure an adequate season.

The 3 stand-out potential signings:

Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window. Lukas+Podolski+7

Lukas Podolski

FC Koln
26-years old
Midfielder/Striker
German
95 caps, 43 goals
14 goals in 17 apps this season

January Cost: £16m

Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window. Marco-reus-verletzt-514

Marco Reus

Borussia Mönchengladbach
22-years old
Midfielder/Striker
German
3 caps, 0 goals
13 goals in 18 apps this season

January Cost: £16.5m (buy-out clause)

Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window. Gotze

Mario Götze

Borussia Dortmund
19-years old
Midfielder
German
12 caps, 2 goals
6 goals in 22 apps this season

January Cost: £30m+

Arsenal have been linked quite heavily with all 3 Germans over the past few months, and any of these would improve not only the morale amongst most fans, but the ability in the squad. All 3 have proven ability, and whilst in the past, Wenger might have favoured Gotze and Reus for their youthfulness, the "short-term project" as the manager labelled this stage of his Arsenal career has to come into mind and so Podolski is perhaps the best fit. The experienced German can play wide left when Gervinho leaves for the African cup of nations, and he can also play up top when Van Persie is not available or rested. It really does make sense. £16m might seem a lot for a guy who flopped at Bayern Munich not too long ago, but the pros outway the cons.

Whilst Gotze is an amazing young player, it's hard to imagine Wenger paying £30m+ for a 19-year old playmaker when we have Wilshere returning imminently. Whilst Reus has been linked, Bayern are the favourites for his signature, but Arsenal shouldn't give up hope of signing the highly-talented and highly-versatile Gladbach player. Reus would be an excellent signing for the gunners, and Wenger has already made contact with his German club according their manager a few months back.

"The perfect scenario could be signing Henry and Podolski"

Thierry Henry has been linked with a return and at times it feels inevitable, and whilst the 34-year old would probably be a better option than Chamakh and Park coming off the bench, it does seem both a sentimental and a backwards step for Wenger. The perfect scenario is probably signing Henry on loan AND a forward on a permanent deal - say Podolski and Henry both joining next month for example. As so often happens under Wenger, the club will sign a player no one expected to sign (like Santos, Hleb & Park) or promote someone from within, like possibly Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Whatever happens - Arsenal are in need of an inspired signing or two next month, in addition to injured players returning. This is set to the be the most intriguing January transfer window in the Wenger era.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window. Empty Re: Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window.

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Götze is injured, isn't he? So a January move wouldn't be possible. A big transfer like that would probably be better in the summer, as his price would probably be lower. Not that a move is likely, mind.

I think both Reus and Götze will both stay at Gladbach and Dortmund respectively. Both clubs are in the top four and are competing for the title, so it wouldn't make much sense for either to leave at this stage. German players tend to be loyal, so I'm sure both will want to stay and help their clubs achieve a good standing in the league.

Podolski is probably the more likely out the three, but for this to be possible we need Köln to not find the money to extend his contract. He'll quite happily re-sign if they do.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window. Empty Re: Fighting for top 4 and the 3 Germans - January window.

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Like Jay says, Gotze is unlikely for several reasons, but the club did offer for him in the summer.

Podolski is the most likely of the 3, but we shouldn't give up hope on Reus.

SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:08 pm

If we want to compete in the CL and EPL we have to spend 40 to 50 million on 2 or 3 players.

Wenger says we have a big squad but what he does not say is some are just useless.

Arshivan out

Chamakh out

Bendtner out

Denilson out

Almunia out free

Squillaci out

Abou Diaby out 60k a week omg for what? I just had enough of him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kieran Gibbs if he cant stay healthy at a young age, what will happen when he gets older? Diaby#2

Wenger should give this season to recover and if he can recover, and if he can stay health next year sell him.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinten Metsys Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Borussia Dortmund have reportedly held talks with Marco Reus about joining the reigning Bundesliga champions at the end of the season.

The Borussia Monchengladbach forward, who has been in sensational form this season, has also been heavily linked with a move to Bayern Munich.

However, according to DerWesten, an insider claims that after talks with BVB, "the player is leaning more towards Dortmund than Bayern".

The 22-year-old Germany international was born and raised in Dortmund and was taken on by his hometown club as a youngster.

However, Reus was rejected because of his perceived physical deficiencies and was allowed to join Rot-Weiss Ahlen in 2006.

He has developed into one of the most exciting young talents in the Bundesliga over the past couple of seasons and has now been capped three times by his country.

The issue now is whether BVB, who were on the verge of financial collapse as recently as 2005, are in a position to re-sign their former youth team player.

Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has recently claimed that the club’s two most valuable commodites, defender Mats Hummels and playmaker Mario Gotze, are not for sale even for €120 million.

However, it is suggested that Dortmund could raise funds for the proposed Reus deal by selling out-of-favour forward Lucas Barrios, who is reportedly available for €12m, or alternatively Shinji Kagawa.

While Dortmund have not officially confirmed interest in Reus, the club’s team manager, Fritz Lunschermann, has already stated that BVB intend to make at least one high-profile signing in the summer.

Curse it Evil or Very Mad
Quinten Metsys
Quinten Metsys
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Schalke have withdrawn their contract offer for Jefferson Farfan. The Peruvian is available for £6m in January.

http://bit.ly/tyHIXP
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Samuelj29060 wrote:Schalke have withdrawn their contract offer for Jefferson Farfan. The Peruvian is available for £6m in January.

http://bit.ly/tyHIXP

How good is he, dont really know much about him.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:05 pm

OM Are in last 16 of europe and with ACN on the way that rules Ayew brothers out.though i would welcome either of them anyday
Then it comes the question of Podolski's wage
would be ridiculous if we sign him and he earn 110-120 kpw while RVP is still at something 80k or what :facepalm:
or poldi would get less than that? Suspect
need to offer improved contract to Robin ASAP
whether he sign s or not is another issue
while i dont doubt Godolski's abilities i m not sure if he can have Suarez-esque impact(in short term) for us
same for the other 2 who are unrealistic
adaption time :coffee:
and ofcourse bring in people who want to give their best for Famous red and white Very Happy not using us as a stepping stone ffs

Last edited by sina90 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:07 pm

No to Farfan. He has a bad attitude and is as inconsistent as Arshavin is.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:08 pm

sina90 wrote:OM Are in last 16 of europe and with ACN on the way that rules Ayew brothers out.though i would welcome either of them anyday
Then it comes the question of Podolski's wage
would be ridiculous if we sign him and he earn 110-120 kpw while RVP is still at something 80k or what :facepalm:
or poldi would get less than that? Suspect
need to offer improved contract to Robin ASAP
whether he sign s or not is another issue
while i dont doubt Godolski's abilities i m not sure if he can have Suarez-esque impact(in short term) for us
same for the other 2 who are unrealistic
and ofcourse bring in people who want to give their best for Famous red and white Very Happy not using us as a stepping stone ffs

I agree well said. I am sure RVP does not care about other players getting more than him for now if they are coming in to help us out. I dont want any players who are coming and their dream is Spain, they can GTFO.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Great write up Sam, i dont think Reus & Gotze are potential targets. Both of their clubs would wait out for Euro where their performance could bang heavy bucks. Poldoski might be the only possible target but stil pretty hard. It looks more likely Henry will join. Farfan for 6 mil is steal but we dont need him, very similar to Theo & Gerv, not someone we should count on banging goals.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

To be honest i really dont think we will be signing any of those three. We all know how Wenger is and i dont think he will be bringing in these player in january. I only see Henry and a fullback arriving on loan in january.

I would really love to see Podolski more than anyone as he can play both striker and wide too. He is a great finisher and thats what arsenal needs.

Btw great work Sam! Smile
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:No to Farfan. He has a bad attitude and is as inconsistent as Arshavin is.

+1
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:39 pm

djoe26 wrote:To be honest i really dont think we will be signing any of those three. We all know how Wenger is and i dont think he will be bringing in these player in january. I only see Henry and a fullback arriving on loan in january.

I would really love to see Podolski more than anyone as he can play both striker and wide too. He is a great finisher and thats what arsenal needs.

Btw great work Sam! Smile

yeah you're probably right. we wouldve won the league had we made some jan signings last year, but wenger was too stubborn to see that we needed help. It's looking like the same thing this year. He still believes that Wilshere and Diaby can be counted on this season (absurd) plus if he gets too enamored with Henry that'll be his only signing i bet. I love Henry as much if not more than anyone else, but he's not going to be enough. We'd still be too reliant on RvP if he was his only cover (since wenger wont play park).
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:17 pm

If you think about it, Wenger over 30 years old signing have been awful of late, Silvestre & Squid come to mind, Wenger can't get away from fans criticism. What he could get away though is signing over 30 years old ex legend, Sol, Jens and soon to be Henry. Genius move I would say, it's win win. If they don't perform, that's fine cause they're here for moral support, if they do, their legacy will be reinforced. I wonder who will be next year, Gilberto?
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:19 pm

how do you guys feel about henry getting back? do you think his second spell not working out like sheva at milan could hinder his legacy among the younger fans?
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:21 pm

We all are excited about Henry coming back, I just hope this wont stop Wenger from buying some quality players.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:35 pm

When can teams start to buy players? Jan 1?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:55 pm

I never understood, what's with the Podolski rumors? How did it start?

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Marco Reus has a buy-out clause of £16.5m. It is a complexed buy-out clause - one which gets lower and lower each window - not sure of the exact numbers. But I do know 16.5m is the January clause. (German journos informed on twitter)
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:04 pm

english_jewel wrote:I never understood, what's with the Podolski rumors? How did it start?

He has Arsenal DNA, when we sell Arshivan to Chelsea for 16 million we will use that money to buy Podolski. Very Happy
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Arsenal need a forward, Podolski could be an option, journo asks about it, Podolski says he'd be interest... and so on.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 pm

I would be satisfied with Podolski and Henry coming.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Henry- No.
Simply because we should be afraid to ruin his image and legacy.

Podoloski- Yes
Good backup for Van Persie. He would also be a great addition on the left wing as Gervinho is quite wasteful and didnt fully adapt to the PL.

Goetze: I WISH!

Jamin
Jamin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Amin94

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Two months is hardly going to tarnish Henry's image and legacy. Fans are fickle, but Arsenal fans will never forget all those great years he gave us.

Half of a season didn't ruin Sol Campbell's image or legacy, did it? And Pires' brief spell at Villa didn't ruin his image or legacy, either.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next