Zealous
free_cat
ijomer
BarrileteCosmico
Le Samourai
The Franchise
10 posters

Go down

What can we learn from the Copa? Empty What can we learn from the Copa?

Post by The Franchise Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:55 am

My attempt to analyse a little about the game and what Pep will surely pick up and what he will do next time. I got a quote from a journalist I posted somewhere, "Just when Mourinho comes up with an answer, Guardiola changes the question".

I find it a very relevant quote because Pep has done just that consistently and I expect that again from him. Indeed, the Madrid comeback was more than tactics, but from a pure tactical standpoint I think we can draw some conclusions what went wrong.

1st half

This is how both teams started the game.

What can we learn from the Copa? Barca-real-1

Now, looking at it we can see a few clear issues.

We know, Madrid is going to press from goalkicks, deep throw ins and any time the ball in our own half. Once we pass that point, they will drop off, but getting past their pressing was a problem in the first half and lead to us not having many chances and them having quite a few.

The first issue here is we lack width. Iniesta, not a winger is prone to come inside with and without the ball, Sanchez is more centeral than wide, playing inbetween the centerbacks rather than the leftback and Messi of course is also in the middle. Dani Alves is the only outball on, but of course he is needed to attempt to pass out from the back.

A similar line up worked in the first leg because

1. Madrid pressed less
2. Iniesta was able to free himself from Altintop.

In this game Madrid pressed more and Arbeloa stuck to Iniesta very tightly and which left us with no forward option wide.

When pressing they had Ozil on Abidal, Higuain broadly on Puyol, Cristiano on Alves and Kaka in between Pique and his passing angle to Busquets. To change the angle by moving the ball laterally along the backline to another player Madrid in turn shuffled across (changing markers) and denied the ball into Busquets quite well.

Lass as you can imagine was firmly behind Xavi and Alonso the same on Cesc. Messi was free but a ball from goalkeeper or centerback that distance to find Messi would be very difficult. Messi did a good job of dropping deep and often picked the ball up or occupied one of Lass or Alonso enough to free up someone else. When we broke free, it was often via Messi moving into a deeper position to do one of those two things.

So to summarize we lacked width in our play and we didnt have any numerical advantage at the back which didnt allow us to play out from the back consistently. We had depth in our play (Sanchez constantly running in behind) but the ball didnt get that far up the pitch often enough. Even when it did, Coentrao was very aware of his runs and Pepe was quick to come across.

Despite this, Barca went into half time 2-0. As always the case, Madrid the pressing team can only sustain the pressing for 30minutes if they are only having 40% of the possession. Towards the end of the half, Barca found more ways out from the back due to this and begun to press the issue.

Because of the pressing, Madrid left Messi space in between the lines. They knew the threat of Sanchez in behind and his centeral positioning meant the centerbacks couldnt just stroll out and chase Messi. The first goal, Messi picks up the ball and is already behind Alonso and Lass, he delivers a pass for Pedro (who on for Iniesta provided width and helped us with an outball in possession) for 1-0. Madrid pressed but knew they would have to risk Messi in between the lines and they got punished for it when they began to tire. Guardiola uses Sanchez centerally for this purpose, he forced the centerbacks to pay attention to his runs in behind and this in turn gives Messi space in between the lines. If Sanchez played as an out and out winger with Coentrao the only man looking after him, Ramos or Pepe can come out from the back and close that space for Messi. This tactical moves sacrifices width in build up but adds depth which gives for more time and space for Messi.

2nd Half

To start the second half, Barca were calm and collected. The rondos and triangles were out in full force as the crowd cheered "ole" to every one touch pass. Barca 4-1 were cruising.

Mourinho had replaced Lass with Granero on the 52nd minute, adding more passing, but less defensive skill. A factor in Barca stroking the ball around easier. However, this passing lead to a more relaxed Barca and then combined with the double change of Benzema for Higuain and Cellejon for Kaka flipped the game on its head.

Within 8 minutes Madrid were back in and not long after that they made it 2-2. Barca didnt really concede any chances after this other than Benzema getting in behind (but not getting his shot off) but the reason we let those goals in and the reason we were so rattled (from a tactical point of view) later became clear.

After the changes, this is what Madrid looked like.

What can we learn from the Copa? Barca-real2copy

This, taken from zonalmarking sums up quite well what these changes meant to Madrid.

"Karim Benzema replaced Higuain and went upfront in a straight swap, but more interestingly Jose Callejon was introduced down the left, with Kaka going off. That meant he could watch Dani Alves’ runs, and Ronaldo could go upfront. Real were now, more or less, 4-4-2, with Benzema and Ronaldo taking it in turns with their movement – one went left, the other went right. One came deep, the other went over the top.

It worked excellently, pulling Gerard Pique and Carles Puyol all over the pitch. Those two had looked nervous all night, but this meant they no longer had a spare man."

Now, the difference here is previously, Pique or Puyol, no longer could carry the ball out nor play a longer pass freely. In the first half, while he struggled go get out from the back consistently, we at least had the option of Puyol running up the middle (which happened a few times) or a longer pass into midfield. Busquets was sometimes shut off, but these two options still were viable.

With the changes, it went from Kaka blocking the passing lane to Cristiano straight away up on Pique. No time on the ball even for a dribble or long clearance. In fact, the Benzema goal came from Piques pressured long clearance being blocked.

So, to the main point of this. What could Pep of done differently and what can we expect next time when its likely Mourinho will copy what he did well here? Here is what I have come up with.

(Note, the red markers are Barca players, the yellow is Madrid and the numbers are not accurate)

Build up.

What can we learn from the Copa? Offensively1

We needed the spare man back.

Busquets dropping into the sweeper role would of solved alot of the build up issue. He no longer had to worry about Kaka through the center or the Brazilian stopping his passing angle. Him moving into the center pushing Puyol and Pique wider and Abidal and Alves higher. Taking our fullbacks higher in turn forces Callejon and Ozil back, creating a 3 v 2 gives us the chance to bring the ball out from under intense pressure taking us forward into midfield where we have a 3 v 2 advantage.

Defensively.

When Madrid had the ball, we stopped pressing. Fatigue I dont know, but into the second half, even before the goal, that was the end of all pressing and once the goals went in we were in hang on mode. In such a sitation, again having Busquets further back would of been great help vs what was basically a 442.

Heres how.

What can we learn from the Copa? Defence1

Cristiano's goal came from Puyol not reacting well to Cristiano's run. Benz looked dangerous and Pique might of needed cover, but more importantly Ozil had come off from the flank and picked up ball facing goal. Puyol watched this and for a moment lost track of Cristiano, the moment was fatal as Ozil slipped him in.

With Busquets there perhaps he might of stayed better chained to Cristiano with the safety of Busquets beside him ready to stop Ozil if he drove on. Barca defenders in a 3 man backline are very aware that sticking tight to the 2 strikers is the gameplan because there is always cover from a 3rd man.

Take another look, looking closely at what Puyol has focus on, Cristiano or Ozil.

For the 2nd goal, Busquets in his usual defensive midfield position was caught on the ball taking too long and was encountered with pressure, he passed it backwards to Pique because of this, who again, closely marked by Cristiano had to clear under pressure. It came off Callejon right into Benzema's path and that was 2-2. Imagine if Busquets was part of the back 3 rather than in his pivot positon. He would of had 10 more yards of space which translates to more time on the ball and likely not getting caught on it.

Sadely, no highlight goes back far enough in the sequence to show Busquets error, but I assure you I recall it.

After that, we was constantly pressured at the back and never had any time on the ball. We created a Messi and Pedro chance, both from counter attacks we dont normally see if we have possession.

All 3 problems are solved if Busquets is at centerback in a 3.

Heres hoping Pep picks up on this and makes the right changes.

Last edited by The Franchise on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 am; edited 3 times in total
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

What can we learn from the Copa? Empty Re: What can we learn from the Copa?

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:58 am

Why exactly is Sanchez being used as a striker?

Very very strange stuff.

You displace Villa to make Messi a false 9 and then you displace Messi to make Sanchez a 9? Something just not adding up.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 am

Sanchez was used as a CF in the first leg as well. Why is that a surprise?

Anyways great work Dani +100

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 am

Not a surprise just strange.

Can't wrap my head around why you'd do it.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:05 am

Great and very informative article , I like
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:40 am

ragbirjosh wrote:Why exactly is Sanchez being used as a striker?

Very very strange stuff.

You displace Villa to make Messi a false 9 and then you displace Messi to make Sanchez a 9? Something just not adding up.

I touched on it a little, to add depth to our play.

Sanchez is not playing as a 9, but this is Pep being smart and understand teams are countering us all the time. Previously, the idea was Messi would drop in between the lines of defence and midfield, Xavi and Iniesta need attention so the opponant played high on them and centerbacks are very anxious about chasing Messi that far up the pitch.

However, to combat this, coaches like Mourinho have instructed one of the centerbacks, usually Pepe, to leave the back 4 and close the space in between the lines. The remaining back 3 get narrow and dont allow space through the center.

To counter this, instead of having 2 inside forwards like we had in Pedro and Villa, Sanchz has acted as part inside forward part number 9.

When Messi comes deep, Sanchez looks to make runs in behind. He moves from the leftback zone to in between he and centerback. This causes the centerbacks to pay attention and respect those runs, which in turn means one hesistates in going out to close Messi. The level of organasation in defence needed to

A. The leftback and one centerback to track Sanchez run or make the decision to play him offside
B. Another centerback to come out on Messi
C. Keep track of Iniesta/Cesc/Pedro run from deep/leftside
D. Dani Alves deep run

is frankly impossible.

Once Messi has the ball and if turned, if the ball to slide Sanchez in isnt on, he moves back to his usual inside forward type position and acts as we normally would see.

I think its a great move by Pep, always keeping the team a step ahead.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Nice read, however, I think that Pep reacted to Mou's 442, although perhaps a bit late.

When Machete and Thiago came in for Alexis and Cesc, we changed our setup to a sort 451-541.

It was like this:

Puyol Pique Mascherano Abidal
------------- Busquets
Alves ---- Xavi --- Thiago --- Pedro
--------------- Messi

With Busquets dropping very deep when defending, to Help Pique and Mascherano with the long balls, although not really dropping deep to build up as we stopped to built up from behind in the last 10 minutes, but perhaps the plan was Busquets dropping deep in the build up too.

It worked very well defensively and we didn't concede any other opportunity aside from some corners. Also, we could have scored on the counter but that's not a virtue of the tactic off course.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Didn't Mascherano come in because Alexis was injured?

Anyway Great write up Dani. It'll be interesting to see how both teams set themselves up next time.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Great read Dani. Aaah it was so satisfying that you came to the exact same conclusion I came up with when reading about the problem Real's tactical change posed. Busquets to sweeper, glad we're on the same page.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 pm

free_cat wrote:Nice read, however, I think that Pep reacted to Mou's 442, although perhaps a bit late.

When Machete and Thiago came in for Alexis and Cesc, we changed our setup to a sort 451-541.

It was like this:

Puyol Pique Mascherano Abidal
------------- Busquets
Alves ---- Xavi --- Thiago --- Pedro
--------------- Messi

With Busquets dropping very deep when defending, to Help Pique and Mascherano with the long balls, although not really dropping deep to build up as we stopped to built up from behind in the last 10 minutes, but perhaps the plan was Busquets dropping deep in the build up too.

It worked very well defensively and we didn't concede any other opportunity aside from some corners. Also, we could have scored on the counter but that's not a virtue of the tactic off course.

I sort of agree. No doubt, we came under pressure and we were 451 rather than 433. I felt though, Puyol swapped for Alves and he swapped for Alexis, Thiago swapped for Cesc. It was straight swaps and we were forced back.

Indeed, Busquets was deeper and defending, but as you touched on not in the build up. I dont know if Pep instructed him to do so or not, but Busi wasnt there.

I also felt, this change needed to happen as soon Madrid were a 442, so on the 60 something minute. Rather than doing this towards the end while we hung on.

Indeed they didnt create any more chances from open play, but we were under more pressure than I think we were happy with. A Busquets dropping back I really believe could of helped us relieve some pressure, not to mention avoid the goals in the first place.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Zealous wrote:Didn't Mascherano come in because Alexis was injured?

Anyway Great write up Dani. It'll be interesting to see how both teams set themselves up next time.

Yep.

Dani Alves moved to rightwing in place of Alexis and Puyol moved to were Dani Alves was previously at right back.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm

And thanks for the kind words boys.

Had some time on my hands yesturday (no work yay!) so thought I could do something.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes, Machete came in for Alexis because of injuries and mostly the movement of the players was from position to position. But I'm sure Pep took the opportunity to make some tactical adjustments, as Busquets played from tehreon as a 3rd CB effectively.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:53 pm

The Franchise wrote:My attempt to analyse a little about the game and what Pep will surely pick up and what he will do next time. I got a quote from a journalist I posted somewhere, "Just when Mourinho comes up with an answer, Guardiola changes the question".

I find it a very relevant quote because Pep has done just that consistently and I expect that again from him. Indeed, the Madrid comeback was more than tactics, but from a pure tactical standpoint I think we can draw some conclusions what went wrong.

1st half

This is how both teams started the game.

What can we learn from the Copa? Barca-real-1

Now, looking at it we can see a few clear issues.

We know, Madrid is going to press from goalkicks, deep throw ins and any time the ball in our own half. Once we pass that point, they will drop off, but getting past their pressing was a problem in the first half and lead to us not having many chances and them having quite a few.

The first issue here is we lack width. Iniesta, not a winger is prone to come inside with and without the ball, Sanchez is more centeral than wide, playing inbetween the centerbacks rather than the leftback and Messi of course is also in the middle. Dani Alves is the only outball on, but of course he is needed to attempt to pass out from the back.

A similar line up worked in the first leg because

1. Madrid pressed less
2. Iniesta was able to free himself from Altintop.

In this game Madrid pressed more and Arbeloa stuck to Iniesta very tightly and which left us with no forward option wide.

When pressing they had Ozil on Abidal, Higuain broadly on Puyol, Cristiano on Alves and Kaka in between Pique and his passing angle to Busquets. To change the angle by moving the ball laterally along the backline to another player Madrid in turn shuffled across (changing markers) and denied the ball into Busquets quite well.

Lass as you can imagine was firmly behind Xavi and Alonso the same on Cesc. Messi was free but a ball from goalkeeper or centerback that distance to find Messi would be very difficult. Messi did a good job of dropping deep and often picked the ball up or occupied one of Lass or Alonso enough to free up someone else. When we broke free, it was often via Messi moving into a deeper position to do one of those two things.

So to summarize we lacked width in our play and we didnt have any numerical advantage at the back which didnt allow us to play out from the back consistently. We had depth in our play (Sanchez constantly running in behind) but the ball didnt get that far up the pitch often enough. Even when it did, Coentrao was very aware of his runs and Pepe was quick to come across.

Despite this, Barca went into half time 2-0. As always the case, Madrid the pressing team can only sustain the pressing for 30minutes if they are only having 40% of the possession. Towards the end of the half, Barca found more ways out from the back due to this and begun to press the issue.

Because of the pressing, Madrid left Messi space in between the lines. They knew the threat of Sanchez in behind and his centeral positioning meant the centerbacks couldnt just stroll out and chase Messi. The first goal, Messi picks up the ball and is already behind Alonso and Lass, he delivers a pass for Pedro (who on for Iniesta provided width and helped us with an outball in possession) for 1-0. Madrid pressed but knew they would have to risk Messi in between the lines and they got punished for it when they began to tire. Guardiola uses Sanchez centerally for this purpose, he forced the centerbacks to pay attention to his runs in behind and this in turn gives Messi space in between the lines. If Sanchez played as an out and out winger with Coentrao the only man looking after him, Ramos or Pepe can come out from the back and close that space for Messi. This tactical moves sacrifices width in build up but adds depth which gives for more time and space for Messi.

2nd Half

To start the second half, Barca were calm and collected. The rondos and triangles were out in full force as the crowd cheered "ole" to every one touch pass. Barca 4-1 were cruising.

Mourinho had replaced Lass with Granero on the 52nd minute, adding more passing, but less defensive skill. A factor in Barca stroking the ball around easier. However, this passing lead to a more relaxed Barca and then combined with the double change of Benzema for Higuain and Cellejon for Kaka flipped the game on its head.

Within 8 minutes Madrid were back in and not long after that they made it 2-2. Barca didnt really concede any chances after this other than Benzema getting in behind (but not getting his shot off) but the reason we let those goals in and the reason we were so rattled (from a tactical point of view) later became clear.

After the changes, this is what Madrid looked like.

What can we learn from the Copa? Barca-real2copy

This, taken from zonalmarking sums up quite well what these changes meant to Madrid.

"Karim Benzema replaced Higuain and went upfront in a straight swap, but more interestingly Jose Callejon was introduced down the left, with Kaka going off. That meant he could watch Dani Alves’ runs, and Ronaldo could go upfront. Real were now, more or less, 4-4-2, with Benzema and Ronaldo taking it in turns with their movement – one went left, the other went right. One came deep, the other went over the top.

It worked excellently, pulling Gerard Pique and Carles Puyol all over the pitch. Those two had looked nervous all night, but this meant they no longer had a spare man."

Now, the difference here is previously, Pique or Puyol, no longer could carry the ball out nor play a longer pass freely. In the first half, while he struggled go get out from the back consistently, we at least had the option of Puyol running up the middle (which happened a few times) or a longer pass into midfield. Busquets was sometimes shut off, but these two options still were viable.

With the changes, it went from Kaka blocking the passing lane to Cristiano straight away up on Pique. No time on the ball even for a dribble or long clearance. In fact, the Benzema goal came from Piques pressured long clearance being blocked.

So, to the main point of this. What could Pep of done differently and what can we expect next time when its likely Mourinho will copy what he did well here? Here is what I have come up with.

(Note, the red markers are Barca players, the yellow is Madrid and the numbers are not accurate)

Build up.

What can we learn from the Copa? Offensively1

We needed the spare man back.

Busquets dropping into the sweeper role would of solved alot of the build up issue. He no longer had to worry about Kaka through the center or the Brazilian stopping his passing angle. Him moving into the center pushing Puyol and Pique wider and Abidal and Alves higher. Taking our fullbacks higher in turn forces Callejon and Ozil back, creating a 3 v 2 gives us the chance to bring the ball out from under intense pressure taking us forward into midfield where we have a 3 v 2 advantage.

Defensively.

When Madrid had the ball, we stopped pressing. Fatigue I dont know, but into the second half, even before the goal, that was the end of all pressing and once the goals went in we were in hang on mode. In such a sitation, again having Busquets further back would of been great help vs what was basically a 442.

Heres how.

What can we learn from the Copa? Defence1

Cristiano's goal came from Puyol not reacting well to Cristiano's run. Benz looked dangerous and Pique might of needed cover, but more importantly Ozil had come off from the flank and picked up ball facing goal. Puyol watched this and for a moment lost track of Cristiano, the moment was fatal as Ozil slipped him in.

With Busquets there perhaps he might of stayed better chained to Cristiano with the safety of Busquets beside him ready to stop Ozil if he drove on. Barca defenders in a 3 man backline are very aware that sticking tight to the 2 strikers is the gameplan because there is always cover from a 3rd man.

Take another look, looking closely at what Puyol has focus on, Cristiano or Ozil.

For the 2nd goal, Busquets in his usual defensive midfield position was caught on the ball taking too long and was encountered with pressure, he passed it backwards to Pique because of this, who again, closely marked by Cristiano had to clear under pressure. It came off Callejon right into Benzema's path and that was 2-2. Imagine if Busquets was part of the back 3 rather than in his pivot positon. He would of had 10 more yards of space which translates to more time on the ball and likely not getting caught on it.

Sadely, no highlight goes back far enough in the sequence to show Busquets error, but I assure you I recall it.

After that, we was constantly pressured at the back and never had any time on the ball. We created a Messi and Pedro chance, both from counter attacks we dont normally see if we have possession.

All 3 problems are solved if Busquets is at centerback in a 3.

Heres hoping Pep picks up on this and makes the right changes.

Terrific write up dani.Nothing to add really.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Good read dani, I agree with most of what you said there.

Without Busquets to put Ozil in his rightful place (in his pocket), he managed to have his first good game vs Barca and it showed. I think if Abidal dealt with Ozil better (maybe Adriano can do better since he is faster?) we would have had a better night and might have kept a clean sheet.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm

dani, excellent article. It was like reading from an encyclopedia.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Masche was already warming up before Alexis got injured. I'm pretty confident he was going to come in for Puyol or Abidal, but Alexis' injury affected the change.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down