34 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 14 Empty Re: Maths- Gym for Brainiacs

Post by Ganso Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:50 pm

kiranr wrote:
Immortal Babun wrote:
Ganso wrote: Thumbs up

Are you guys majoring in engineering or something related to math? its not easy to solve that while not being in high school
me-> majouring in maths
spanky-> chemistry+engineering combo
kiranr-> seems like ecomonical mathetmatician

I hate it how kids learn maths in school from the very start. Elementary teachers are dumb ( most of them) so they dumb down kids until they reach high school and then they learn everything anew with crippled knowledge eco smile
For example, maths without sets don't make sense at all. You see questions like these in textbooks:

6= x-2 , find x.

The question is unsolvable until x is defined. Does x bleong to natural, real or integers? For example, if x is element of A={9, 10} then the question is unsolvable eco smile
Sets should be taught as the first subject in any school :lol!:

I am a Mechanical engineer, now working in finance. I am 27 and forgotten most of my math concepts except the ones i use, like probability and statistics.
What do you think about Mechenical engineering?is it a good major?

Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Ganso wrote:
What do you think about Mechenical engineering?is it a good major?

The good thing about it is that it is extremely versatile. You learn about almost every working thing and then you can choose what you want to specialize in. In short, you have a vast number of fields open to you. Everything from building automobiles to managing supply chains in factories.

Your other option, computer engineering is also good especially if you have an inclination towards coding and programming and it gives you good prospects for your career too.

Both the subjects are obviously very different in terms of what you learn. If you have a keen understanding of mechanics and you are generally good at maths, then Mechanical engineering is for you.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 pm

im really not a fan of coding and programing...i think ill do ME and have CE as plan B in case i dont pass
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Ganso wrote:im really not a fan of coding and programing...i think ill do ME and have CE as plan B in case i dont pass

If you are going to become an engineer, you cannot escape coding and programming as you will have to do lots of simulations in your course. Although, it will be a lot lower level than computer science, but you better understand how to write a code to simulate a problem or anything of that sort.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 pm

kiranr wrote:

I am a Mechanical engineer, now working in finance. I am 27 and forgotten most of my math concepts except the ones i use, like probability and statistics.
I was right in end. It doesn't matter what people call you you work as economical mathematician eco smile
Ganso wrote:im really not a fan of coding and programing...i think ill do ME and have CE as plan B in case i dont pass
Make yourself familiar with Matlab and basics of Java , like really do NOW. You won't have time later, trust me...
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:
I was right in end. It doesn't matter what people call you you work as economical mathematician eco smile

Maths in Economics is much bigger than the basic stuff i deal with Babun.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:22 am

kiranr wrote:
Immortal Babun wrote:

Maths in Economics is much bigger than the basic stuff i deal with Babun.
Of course, we learn a whole lot more but only bits of it are applied Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:14 am

shall we continue? Very Happy

topic: geometry
difficulty: easy
requirements: middle school

this also was in my test.tip that will make it very easy:draw the sphere inside the cylinder Smile

26 – If the area of a sphere is equal to the area of a cylinder in which the radius of the base is equal to the radius of the sphere which options are correct
01) The cylinder is equilateral
02) The quotient between the area of the sphere and the lateral area of the cylinder is 2
04)If the radius is 6cm,the volume of the cylinder is bigger than 600 cm^3
08)The quotient between the volume of the sphere and the volume of the cylinder is bigger than 1
16) The height of the cylinder is equal to the diameter of the sphere
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:24 am

Basically h = r

08 ) is correct.

2) is correct

4) is correct
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 am

60/60 yeah,that was too easy lol I will post tougher ones tomorrow
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:21 am

im actually a mechanical engineer as well Very Happy
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 am

spanky489 wrote:im actually a mechanical engineer as well Very Happy
The lonely me Mad

Part 3 of the question is still unsolved-> you'll get the 3D version of the problem then, the so called spongebob eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:56 pm

and what do we compare the calculated perimeter with?
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:33 pm

You don't compare perimeters you count the length Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Baraa Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

i have never been good in maths since high school, i barely made it and passed the maths exam at high school .

and now at the university , i dont even have to be worry about maths anymore as im studying pharmacology and all my study depends hugely on chemistry.
Baraa
Baraa
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Baraa992 wrote:i have never been good in maths since high school, i barely made it and passed the maths exam at high school .

and now at the university , i dont even have to be worry about maths anymore as im studying pharmacology and all my study depends hugely on chemistry.
I could imagine why you had problems in maths. Discussing your situation isn't exactly the point of this thread Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Baraa Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:
Baraa992 wrote:i have never been good in maths since high school, i barely made it and passed the maths exam at high school .

I could imagine why you had problems in maths. Discussing your situation isn't exactly the point of this thread Very Happy

i dont think that one semi off topic comment will ruin the world and bring doomsday lol
Baraa
Baraa
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:You don't compare perimeters you count the length Very Happy
length of what?
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm

spanky489 wrote:
Immortal Babun wrote:You don't compare perimeters you count the length Very Happy
length of what?
Length of all the white squares you get.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:46 pm

zomg thank god this thread exists, i pretty please need your help

ok so ive got an assignment for stats and pretty much youve got to write a report for an imaginary business and they give you some data to base it from

anyway the imaginary company is a hotel and im trying to figure out the average amount each person spends in excess of their accomodaion fees per day, thing is im not sure which method to use

(the data gives you info for 200 bookings and in each booking amoung other things it tells you how many days each booking stayed for and their TOTAL spend above the accomodation costs)

anyway the first method i use was to divide the total spend of each booking by the durration of their booking and then find the average of the number which equals 235.8114167

the second method i used was to find the average total spend above accomodation costs (1147.775) and the average number of days spent at the hotel (4.785) and then go 1147.775/4.785 which comes to 239.8694

i get the feeling the first method is right but i really dont know, any help would be much appreciated, thank you
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I think the first one because you want the average of the people, not the group?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:49 pm

fatman123 wrote:zomg thank god this thread exists, i pretty please need your help

ok so ive got an assignment for stats and pretty much youve got to write a report for an imaginary business and they give you some data to base it from

anyway the imaginary company is a hotel and im trying to figure out the average amount each person spends in excess of their accomodaion fees per day, thing is im not sure which method to use

(the data gives you info for 200 bookings and in each booking amoung other things it tells you how many days each booking stayed for and their TOTAL spend above the accomodation costs)

anyway the first method i use was to divide the total spend of each booking by the durration of their booking and then find the average of the number which equals 235.8114167

the second method i used was to find the average total spend above accomodation costs (1147.775) and the average number of days spent at the hotel (4.785) and then go 1147.775/4.785 which comes to 239.8694

i get the feeling the first method is right but i really dont know, any help would be much appreciated, thank you
Is it your exact assignment? The question is very important because different statistics give different outlooks on a situation. You should know for sure what is asked from you. So what you calculated ( different outlooks) :

1. The total average of how much a person spends in excess.
2. You go more into details, you specify how much the average excess is related to average stay of customers.

In second version, you got a bigger number which implies that some individuals stay significantly longer than others while some of the short stayers spend way more above their accomodation fees than others.
For example, you've got a Sheikh who stays for two nights only but spends shitloads of money and a businessman who stays for 2- weeks but spends much less.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Waitwhat, that wasn't what I thought he meant...
Fatman, can you explain your methods clearer?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:
fatman123 wrote:zomg thank god this thread exists, i pretty please need your help

Is it your exact assignment? The question is very important because different statistics give different outlooks on a situation. You should know for sure what is asked from you. So what you calculated ( different outlooks) :

1. The total average of how much a person spends in excess.
2. You go more into details, you specify how much the average excess is related to average stay of customers.

In second version, you got a bigger number which implies that some individuals stay significantly longer than others while some of the short stayers spend way more above their accomodation fees than others.
For example, you've got a Sheikh who stays for two nights only but spends shitloads of money and a businessman who stays for 2- weeks but spends much less.

what bugs me most about this assignment is that there is no one question that i need to answer, its completly opened ended and you need to tackle it in your own manner, having said that the assignmnt does tell you that one of the businesses key performance indicators was that "the average customer spends more then $260 per day in excess of accommodation fees" now i know they havent reached that its just im not sure what the average spend/day in excess of accomodation fees actually is

ok to explain my methods more clearly:

1) TOTAL amount spent in excess of accomodation expenses/number of nights spent at the resort (do that for all 200 bookings) and then find the average of all those numbers which comes to 235.8114167

2) find the average total spend in excess of accomodation costs (ie sum of all total spend in excess of accomodation costs/200) and then find the average number of nights spend at the resort (sum total number of nights/200) which gives 1147.775 and 4.785 respectivley and then divide 1147.775 by 4.785 to give 239.8694

hopefuly that helps and thanks again to everyone
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:41 am

The first version then. In which class are you?
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:10 am

Immortal Babun wrote:The first version then. In which class are you?
cheers babun Smile

im studying economics at uni, but this assigment is for "business and economic statistics"
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum: