Seth
Tomwin Lannister
RealGunner
Ganso
McLewis
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Turn-based Gameplay. Empty Turn-based Gameplay.

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 pm

So my co-worker lent me a copy of Final Fantasy XIII. I initially told him that I do not like turn-based gameplay, which is essentially the only reason I've never really played any Final Fantasy games. He swears that you can disable it and just play it in real-time like a normal game. So I pop the game in and watch the prologue. Like all of the other FF games, this one is absolutely gorgeous to look at. So when it comes time for the first "battle", I scour the game menu for a way to turn off the default turn-based system and I don't find that option there so I look in the game's instructional booklet. Don't find it there either. So at this point I'm like "WTF". So I unpause the game and I try to learn the turn-based system and play through the dislike I have for it. I played for about 30 minutes and then quit. Could barely make any type of damage on this huge ass thing I was fighting because Lightnings attacks are weak as hell. She only has like 3 moves and they all tick off maybe 10 health points whereas this big ass mofo was lopping off 20 and 30 points with each attack. This is exactly why I've never played games like this. It feels like these battles are not on even footing, even when Lightening and this thing had around the same amount of health points. I've never been so frustrated in such a short amount of time by a video game in all my years. Final Fantasy never fails in that regard.

Out of curiosity, I googled if it was possible to disable that damn turn-based system and I found nothing on it.

Quite sure I've been horribly deceived. It's a crying shame because these types of games are right up my alley in terms of the epicness of the plot, but the gameplay system completely ruins it for me. Makes it absolutely unplayable, just like all the others. I'm gonna give it back to my co-worker on Monday with a huge FUUUUUUU.

This is why Fable, Mass Effect, Skyrim etc is as far as I'll go in terms of RPG.

/rant
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Turn-based Gameplay. Empty Re: Turn-based Gameplay.

Post by Ganso Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 pm

i have nothing constructive to add here,but your co-worker deserves one big :facepalm:
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Mad

lol just kidding

Not many people like Turn based Gameplay, i agree it is a bit boring at times and requires patience Razz but i personally enjoy it because im a final fantasy fanboy hehe

And ur co worker trolled u, you can't turn it off lol.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 pm

This isn't the first time I'm tried this system out. I can now confirmed that I'm genetically predisposed to hate it. When I want to attack, there should be a corresponding real-time button for it...not a series of freaking menus that you have to navigate as some ridiculous prat throws down on you.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 am

The only turn based game worth playing is the Worms games. :dance:
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Seth Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:53 am

If you time the paradigm shift properly, you can sort of pseudo turn off the turn based function cause you'll get a full ATB everytime you do it correctly.

All in all, your colleague trolled you.

As for Lightning's damage, you'll have to work the stagger bar to get higher damage. Kind of frustrating, esp if you are used with 9999 damage off a single spell.

Seth
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 pm

McLewis wrote:So my co-worker lent me a copy of Final Fantasy XIII. I initially told him that I do not like turn-based gameplay, which is essentially the only reason I've never really played any Final Fantasy games. He swears that you can disable it and just play it in real-time like a normal game. So I pop the game in and watch the prologue. Like all of the other FF games, this one is absolutely gorgeous to look at. So when it comes time for the first "battle", I scour the game menu for a way to turn off the default turn-based system and I don't find that option there so I look in the game's instructional booklet. Don't find it there either. So at this point I'm like "WTF". So I unpause the game and I try to learn the turn-based system and play through the dislike I have for it. I played for about 30 minutes and then quit. Could barely make any type of damage on this huge ass thing I was fighting because Lightnings attacks are weak as hell. She only has like 3 moves and they all tick off maybe 10 health points whereas this big ass mofo was lopping off 20 and 30 points with each attack. This is exactly why I've never played games like this. It feels like these battles are not on even footing, even when Lightening and this thing had around the same amount of health points. I've never been so frustrated in such a short amount of time by a video game in all my years. Final Fantasy never fails in that regard.

Out of curiosity, I googled if it was possible to disable that damn turn-based system and I found nothing on it.

Quite sure I've been horribly deceived. It's a crying shame because these types of games are right up my alley in terms of the epicness of the plot, but the gameplay system completely ruins it for me. Makes it absolutely unplayable, just like all the others. I'm gonna give it back to my co-worker on Monday with a huge FUUUUUUU.

This is why Fable, Mass Effect, Skyrim etc is as far as I'll go in terms of RPG.

/rant

im assuring you if you play any of the older final fantasy from 10 down you will love it...anything after is just nonsense...their stories have become crap and unoriginal my personal favorites in order were 8, 7 and 9...also special mention to FF tactics.
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:35 pm

im assuring you if you play any of the older final fantasy from 10 down you will love it...anything after is just nonsense...their stories have become crap and unoriginal my personal favorites in order were 8, 7 and 9...also special mention to FF tactics.

+1111

man those games were so brilliant. Although i never played tactics. How is it?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

RealGunner wrote:

+1111

Its very good...played it over atleast 20 times theres like 11 different classes that u can unlock as you level and the storyline is great...i even bought it when they remade it for the PSP...they even remade it for Ipod and Ipad....
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:10 pm

You mean you didn't like pokemon as a kid? Mad

Anyway, most FF do allow you to choose between turn-based and active-time. The choice has been around since Chrono Trigger, or earlier.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 pm

nichabr wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

+1111

Its very good...played it over atleast 20 times theres like 11 different classes that u can unlock as you level and the storyline is great...i even bought it when they remade it for the PSP...they even remade it for Ipod and Ipad....

I will downlo- erhm buy the psp version. Whats it called ?

Currently playing Final Fantasy 4- the complete collection

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:You mean you didn't like pokemon as a kid? Mad

Anyway, most FF do allow you to choose between turn-based and active-time. The choice has been around since Chrono Trigger, or earlier.

POKEMON :bow: :bow: :bow:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm

TBF you can like Pokemon and f*ckin despise turn-based gameplay believe it or not.

I f*ckin loved Pokemon but hated any other turn-based game ever made in existence.

Including Final Fantasy which i consider an utter pile of crap.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 pm

RealGunner wrote:
nichabr wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

+1111

I will downlo- erhm buy the psp version. Whats it called ?

Currently playing Final Fantasy 4- the complete collection

final fantasy tactics war of the lions
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 pm

There're two turn-based games I ever enjoyed: chess and worms eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:TBF you can like Pokemon and f*ckin despise turn-based gameplay believe it or not.

I f*ckin loved Pokemon but hated any other turn-based game ever made in existence.

Including Final Fantasy which i consider an utter pile of crap.
This is true. I used to play Pokemon, (never wtahced it though, it was too 'kiddy' for me) cause i liked the different tactics and stuff you could use. But if any of you guys have ever played Digimon World 2 back in the day, that s*** was one of the most boring s*** ever.. Seriously you gotta wait for 6 digimon to make a move, and they took fudgin forever to attack. I remember one round for me would take around 3-4 minutes long Neutral
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:37 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:You mean you didn't like pokemon as a kid? Mad

Didn't like the Pokemon gameboy titles. Then again....I didn't like GameBoy either....then again, I don't even like handheld games lol.

As for Pokemon Stadium, that was actually rather decent for turn-based play. I tolerated it because I loved the show at the time and because I knew all the characters and their strengths so I knew who to get and who to use. Was quite good at that game actually.

FF is a completely different monster for me though. Never have I felt so lost playing a video game.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:58 am

Chess, Worms, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, the good Final Fantasies :vagi:

Sid Meir's Civilization :vagi:

Original Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age :vagi:

Total War series :vagi:

D&D :vagi::vagi::vagi::vagi:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 am

Some of my favourite games (FF VII, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc…) are turn based so I must say I’m ok with this.
Real time gives a more action feel while turn based focuses on strategy. I enjoy both as long as the game is solid
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 am

Worms
Pokemon
Advanced Wars
Fire Emblem
Paper Mario

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Maje10 wrote:
Fire Emblem

Goatttttt
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Zealous wrote:Chess, Worms, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, the good Final Fantasies :vagi:

Sid Meir's Civilization :vagi:

Original Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age :vagi:

Total War series :vagi:

D&D :vagi::vagi::vagi::vagi:

:bow:

That. Except I've never played a FF game smoking

Turn based RPGs are a thing of the past, but turn based strategy is still great, even if there hasn't been a great game in ages.

Civilization 4 with all the expansions :bow:. Play that and instantly change your view on turn based games. Or Medieval 2 with mods.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Rome:Total War, Civilisation, Pokemon
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:37 pm

I bought Final Fantasy VI through PS store before going to bed last night. I'm going to find out why veteran FF players rate it so highly Smile
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:42 pm

FF sucks, take it from me, waste of time.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next