Rebaño Sagrado
Swanhends
Zealous
Raptorgunner
RED
Mr Nick09
11 posters

Go down

Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager Empty Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:11 pm

John Terry was the reason the Blues were galvanised and unified against Napoli on Wednesday night and he could be the man to end the footballing form of Russian roulette that is the job of Chelsea boss.

A lot of people were having fun on Twitter after the Champions League victory saying that John Terry has now played one and won one as Chelsea manager, and that he took himself off before the end of the game so he could have a look at things from the bench.

However, Terry admitted last April that he would love to manage Chelsea one day - and I see very few reasons why he couldn't take over this summer.

I know that, at 31 years of age, he is young - and, okay, Andre Villas-Boas wasn't a great advocate for youthful managers in his time at Stamford Bridge - but that's not necessarily a weakness.

Kenny Dalglish was only 34 when he became player-manager at Liverpool in the '80s, Pep Guardiola was 37 when he started to manage Barcelona, while Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez took over sides in their early 30s; there is plenty to suggest it it can work at the right club.

I think Terry would have to begin as player-manager, because Chelsea can't really do without him on the pitch at the moment, but it's a role I think he could succeed in.

He obviously has authority, and the ear of the squad, whether that be the experienced internationals or the junior stars at the club.

He knows Chelsea's heritage having been there so long and I'm sure he'd have the backing of the owner, Roman Abramovich, with whom he is on first-name terms.

Expectations

I know Terry is not everyone's favourite and I know he rubs some people up the wrong way, but because of who he is, the epitome of Chelsea, there is a likelihood that he would be given something that few Blues managers are afforded - time.

With what's happened in the Premier League this season, expectations have been lowered. If he took over before the next campaign, he wouldn't be expected to go out and win the league at the first attempt, which is what was anticipated under Carlo Ancelotti and Villas-Boas.

He's a natural leader, as we've seen when he has dished out team talks before, during and after games, as well as in his exploits with England. That is precisely what Chelsea need and precisely what they didn't get from Villas-Boas.

Terry would also be strong enough to say to the elder statesmen in the squad, the players that have been his team-mates for the best part of a decade, when they were no longer required - even though the performances of Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard against Napoli suggested that day could still be a long way off.

At the same time, there is no reason to suggest that Terry wouldn't be a technically-astute coach. He has enough footballing knowledge, if not the coaching badges, and I'm sure he has plenty of tactical nous.

Terry would need an experienced right-hand man, in the way 31-year-old MK Dons manager Karl Robinson has the much-travelled John Gorman as his number two. Ray Wilkins, Gianfranco Zola or perhaps, Gianluca Vialli, would be very popular assistant bosses and have the experience that Terry could lean on.

Chelsea fans have been crying out for some stability and I think Terry could be the figure to give them that, and, although he won't admit it openly, deep down Terry is probably thinking the same thing.

Seemingly impossible
David Moyes had a burgeoning reputation when moved from Preston to Everton in 2002 but the job he has done in at Goodison Park deserves huge praise.

He is a three-time League Manager of the Year and has repeatedly achieved the seemingly impossible on a shoestring budget, not just by keeping the Toffees in the Premier League, but by taking them into Europe, getting them to Cup finals, and creating a side capable of beating Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham this season.

His record in the transfer market is staggering, bringing in gems like Tim Howard and Tim Cahill, Phil Neville and Phil Jagielka; he's found bargain after bargain.

The difficulty for him now is does he stick or does he twist? He's been at Everton for 10 years and everyone regards him as one of the best managers in the business.

But there will be a job at another club for him in the next year or two years, a club with probably a great deal more resources than Everton; he has been frequently linked with Manchester United when Sir Alex Ferguson retires, while he's also been tipped to move to Tottenham if Harry Redknapp gets the England job

It will be a hard time for Moyes but if you look into his eyes you will see that he is still driven, still has that ambition, and still has that ferocious desire to win.

For that reason, and I know Evertonians will hate me for saying this, I believe he will get lured away by a club with better prospects of picking up trophies, but the Toffees will never forget what he has achieved.

Moyes would definitely do a fabulous job if he went to Chelsea - provided John Terry doesn't get named manager, of course.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12088_7598641,00.html
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager Empty Re: Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager

Post by RED Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 pm

He's already managing them...

Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager IA2CYmMUE6wd2
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager Empty Re: Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:23 pm

He is not Chelsea manager? :coffee:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Terry > AVB :vagi:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Chelsea to be relegated
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Has anyone seen "This is England"? Doesn't Terry look like Combo?
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Thes old guards were the reason why AVB got kicked out. Don't you find it amazing how they all starts performing right after the sack ?

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Was AVB sacked because it was cheaper relative to revamping the squad, considering they would have to do it before the next season itself? This way new players can be inducted over a period of time which is better financially, but would mean working with Drogba, Lampard and Terry.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 am

RED 80s. wrote:He's already managing them...

Jeff Stelling: Terry should be Chelsea next Manager IA2CYmMUE6wd2
We had one sub left to make and it was probably for a tactical sub but David Luiz had a cramp at that moment. Terry was trying to signal David Luiz to hold on till the end. Not like he was commanding tactics or anything.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 am

Terry has nothing to do with it nor does Di Matteo.
The players wanted AVB out and they made it known with their performances.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:42 am

kiranr wrote:Was AVB sacked because it was cheaper relative to revamping the squad, considering they would have to do it before the next season itself? This way new players can be inducted over a period of time which is better financially, but would mean working with Drogba, Lampard and Terry.
I don't think so. We probably would have slipped below 5th had AVB still been the manager at this time and we could have been out of the FA Cup AND CL. In the end, it hurts the club's finances in so many ways.

Ticket sales, TV revenue. The money you get for qualifying for each stage of the CL, and a CL spot in itself. You get extra millions for that too. In this day and age where FFP is about to kick in, Chelsea need every penny. Plus we already know a lot of our senior players are leaving this summer. If we're not in the CL, it will be really hard to attract good players. Just ask Liverpool.

Anyway, AVB's team got worse and worse every week. After the team selection in the 1st leg against Napoli, I knew he would be fired. After the West Brom defeat, it all but confirmed it for me(although I didn't expect it the next day though).
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:46 am

ColoJunior wrote:Terry has nothing to do with it nor does Di Matteo.
The players wanted AVB out and they made it known with their performances.
AVB was a bully. Period.

He was trying to phase out the old guard and was doing it in the swiftest and wrongest way possible. He's a bad man manager, tbh. That's what killed him. Have you seen players that Mourinho leaves out of his squad? When they eventually get back in, they play their hearts out! That's called man managing. What you say to the players when you drop them matters a lot.

He also picked a lot of unnecessary fights with the media e.g after the Valencia win at SB where he said it was a slap in the face of the media and the critics. You don't say things like that. The media eventually piled even more pressure on him after that and they looked for any slight opportunity to ridicle him in the papers. You just don't say things like that.

In the end, his inexperience was his undoing.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:03 am

Maybe he should be England manager after that :vagi:
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum