Abramovich
Lex
Amar
The Verminator
Swanhends
Jay29
16 posters

Go down

Somebody help clear this up for me... Empty Somebody help clear this up for me...

Post by Jay29 Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:43 pm

As unlikely as it may be, there is a chance Chelsea could win the Champions League, but still finish outside of the top in the Premier League. Accorindg to the rules and regulations of the competition, the following would happen if the above situation ocurred:

The UEFA Champions League titleholder is guaranteed a place in the group stage even if it does not qualify for the competition through its domestic championship.

a) If the titleholder comes from an association entitled to four places in the UEFA Champions League and qualifies for the UEFA Europa League through its domestic competitions, the lowest-ranked club of the association’s UEFA Champions League representatives is automatically transferred to the UEFA Europa League (into the latest possible round where there is a vacancy). In this case, the number of places to which the titleholder's association is entitled in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League does not change.

b) If the titleholder comes from an association entitled to four places in the UEFA Champions League and does not qualify for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League through its domestic competitions, the lowest-ranked club of the association’s UEFA Champions League representatives is automatically transferred to the UEFA Europa League (into the latest possible round where there is a vacancy). In this case, the association of the titleholder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

The bit I'm hazy on is the term "lowest ranked club of the association's UEFA Champions League representatives". Is that the team who finishes 4th or the team that has the lowest co-efficient out of the top four?

If Chelsea won the Champions League, would the the team in fourth in the Premier League (most likely either Arsenal or Tottenham) make way or would the team with the lowest co-efficient score out of the sides in the top four (either City or Spurs), be moved to the Europa League?

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Somebody help clear this up for me... Empty Re: Somebody help clear this up for me...

Post by Swanhends Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Im pretty sure its place in the table rather than coefficients
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Somebody help clear this up for me... Empty Re: Somebody help clear this up for me...

Post by The Verminator Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 pm

^^this. It should be where the team is placed on the table. I just wonder what happens if third and fourth are on the same points with same gd. Do they have to play each other or does it still go by place in the table?
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 am

During the commentary in the Chelsea game, Martin Tyler brought up the possible situation and said the lowest placed team in teh TABLE would be transferred to Europa League.

How epic would it be if it Spuds get demoted to Europa League through this rule :lol!:
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am

Epic?? I'd run around Tottenham with my Arsenal top on shouting about it Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:30 am

Yeah 4th spot loses CL place.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 am

Basically if Chelsea finish 5th and win the CL, an extra EL spot will be given to the team in 4th.

I.E. Spurs.

Basically Chelsea take Spurs CL spot and Spurs take Chelsea's EL spot in this scenario.

Fair trade methinks :lol!:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 am

It would take a miracle for Chelsea to beat Barca tho
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 am

So it's the team in fourth and not the team with the lowest co-efficient in the top four, then.

I guess that makes sense. I know it could well end up being of little importance but it's something that would effect us since we're not guaranteed third (or fourth, for that matter).

I'd be absolutely gutted if this actually happened.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Basically if Chelsea finish 5th and win the CL, an extra EL spot will be given to the team in 4th.

I.E. Spurs.

Basically Chelsea take Spurs CL spot and Spurs take Chelsea's EL spot in this scenario.

Fair trade methinks :lol!:

But we all know Newcastle has a better chance wining CL than Chelsea this year. cheers
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 am

Yh Nick its not going to happen but it would be f*cking hilarious if it did.

Spurs 3rd all year and end up finishing 4th and not getting CL final would provide endless lulz.

I wont be happy if we did the impossible and clawed back the 5 points we are behind Spurs atm and end up getting 4th only for Chelsea to win the CL.

:lol!:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 am

Of course, then we'd have to put up with Chelsea fans winning a CL No

Big man would be unbearable
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 am

Wait they changed the rules?

When we won the CL in 2005 and finished 5th, UEFA let us enter the competition but start all the way from the 1st round of qualifiers. Everton, who finished 4th, were also allowed to enter. For the group stages draw we were placed in the fourth pot, i believe, and the association protection didn't apply to us, thus we faced Chelsea, Betis, and Anderlecht in the group stages.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:It would take a miracle for Chelsea to beat Barca tho

Pique ?
Puyol?
Alves?
Adriano?

TORRES :bow:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 am

Let's consider a likelier scenario: if Bilbao win the EL but fail to qualify for the EL, are they still in the competition?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Let's consider a likelier scenario: if Bilbao win the EL but fail to qualify for the EL, are they still in the competition?
I don't think the same rules apply for the EL
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Seth Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Let's consider a likelier scenario: if Bilbao win the EL but fail to qualify for the EL, are they still in the competition?

EL winner is guaranteed to have a spot in EL IIRC unless they also qualified for CL, then that places goes to the runner up/fair play award (need confirmation??)

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Wait they changed the rules?

When we won the CL in 2005 and finished 5th, UEFA let us enter the competition but start all the way from the 1st round of qualifiers. Everton, who finished 4th, were also allowed to enter. For the group stages draw we were placed in the fourth pot, i believe, and the association protection didn't apply to us, thus we faced Chelsea, Betis, and Anderlecht in the group stages.

IIRC, it's not UEFA that allows 5 English team, but English FA submitted 5 English team for the CL on grounds that Liverpool should be allowed to defend their title. As UEFA didn't have the foresight of this situation previously, they allowed it, but subsequently revised the rule to prevent similar things from happening.

I also remembered something about the issue of dividing the TV prize money from CL because the 5 english team thing, but it was somehow avoided as Everton failed to make the group stage.

Seth
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 am

No need to celebrate about Spurs and the whole 4th thing. Chelsea won't win the CL Very Happy

Spurs are gonna be in Champions League and you all know it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:10 am

I remember that loophole created for Liverpool like it was yesterday...that was just the worst...no fault on LFC's part, but the pomp from the FA demanding that rules be broken and simply getting their way was just laughable...
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down