Beautiful Football
32 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Lionel Messi - Page 5 Empty Re: Lionel Messi

Post by Die Borussen Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Bénin wrote:
deadrave wrote:
Albiceleste wrote:Messi, so good he gets 'stopped' by some scrub but still gets MotM :bow:

that scrub you are refering to is better than almost every centerback in germany

dont get so mad he got stopped by him, life goes on.. messi can humilate other defenders, among EPL and la liga
but not him, deal with it Wink

So this guy's name is sokratis ? where is he playing ?

werder bremen

you just have to watch the upcoming euro 2012 opening match greece - poland in 4 days

and you will see his quality

its a shame our coach will use a zonal marking
i had hopes for a man-to-man with sokratis marking lewandowski
but nevermind

and his surname is papastathopoulos, most people outside greece cant voice it they call him sokratis which is his name

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:55 am

billionmillion wrote:

in other hand 1 player stopped maradona (greatest dribbler ever) Cool

nope, hes the most skillful player i've ever watched, i didnt say he was the best dribbler, although he is definately one of the best
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 am

People can flip it, turn it, shake it... do what ever they like. Until Messi wins a WC, this best talk ever, is just that.. talk.

Look at the talent on the current Argentine team, now look back at what was available in '86...

Comparing a run from half line in the WORLD CUP against a
COUNTRY'S BEST, to a run in the first division against at the time, a less than mediocre team... epic!

This was the WORLD CUP it happened in, not against Getafe in a random league game that counts for more or less nothing, with no one watching... where there was ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE. This was with the ENTIRE WORLD WATCHING!!, with your country counting on you... How can people not comprehend this??? Think if you were old enough to see that happen in real time... in the world cup. Really think about that. Now compare Messi's league goal.

How many players from Getafe start for Spain again????

Yeah I know, the defenders were slow back then... LMAO!!!!!!!!

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 am

Vapotrini wrote:People can flip it, turn it, shake it... do what ever they like. Until Messi wins a WC, this best talk ever, is just that.. talk.
Just like it is to say that Maradona is better than Messi. Until Maradona wins 3 CL's or breaks all kinds of scoring records, it's just a talk.

Look at the talent on the current Argentine team, now look back at what was available in '86...
Bunch of individuals don't nececessary make a good team. The defence in current team is awful, and you need a good defence to win tournaments.

Comparing a run from half line in the WORLD CUP against a
COUNTRY'S BEST, to a run in the first division against at the time, a less than mediocre team... epic!
What? Getafe played in La Liga at the time, and when Messi wasn't in the field on the second leg, Getafe won the tie. (5-2. 4-0) Laughing Btw, on a pure skill, or estetic level, Messi's run wins hands down. Although Maradona's run was more important.

This was the WORLD CUP it happened in, not against Getafe in a random league game that counts for more or less nothing, with no one watching... where there was ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE. This was with the ENTIRE WORLD WATCHING!!, with your country counting on you... How can people not comprehend this???
Now everybody knows Messi and every team practice just how to stop him, he is the most known and feared player in the world. Does this hinder Messi a lot? 73+35, 79+40 for club and country in a season. Until Maradona does that, it's just a talk. Laughing

Yeah I know, the defenders were slow back then... LMAO!!!!!!!!
Yeah, they were. And I actually watched Maradona play.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:09 am

Vvvvrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's the sound of "the point" going straight over your head, Jisopi.

You're totally, totally lost!

In everyone of your points you've proved me right. Too tired to elaborate right now though.

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks, tired of reading completely pointless and idiotic drivel.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am

With your vast experience, who can blame you?

Between yourself and Billion, I really wonder which one Messi is more afraid of? He probably has restraining orders against both of you.

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am

Ivan Helguera (ex-Real Madrid) - "For me, Messi is the best player in history,"

Mircea Lucescu - "I don't think there ever has been or will be a phenomenon like Messi. He's even better than Pele."

Domenico Criscito - "Messi = alien of football!! An extraordinary player.. The best of all times!"

Ferrer (ex-Barcelona -Chelsea): "I played with Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Laudrup and Stoichkov but Messi is the best I've seen" 

Osvaldo Ardiles: "There is a natural evolution and players today are just getting better. Messi is by far the best."

Osvaldo Ardiles: "I played with Maradona for 7 years. I thought I'd never see another player like that but I have to say Messi is better."

Bernd Schuster (1xSilver Ball, 2xBronze ball) - "Messi is the best player I have seen in my life."

Gary Neville - "Playing without striker allows Messi, greatest player of modern times and arguably all-time, to find weakest link in any defence."

Gary Lineker: -  "I know I go on about Messi being a footballing genius. I have changed my mind. He is better than that."

Ray Hudson: - "Greatest football player I've ever seen, and certainly one of the most fabulous footballers in the history of the game, in my opinion, the greatest ever."

John Terry: - “My kids love him. They both have Barcelona shirts with his name on the back and they like the fact I swapped shirts with him after one of our previous games… It’s a pleasure because when you finish and look back – and the guy’s still going to be going strong – you’ve tested yourself against the best. And, quite clearly for me, he’s the best ever. He’s a great individual, a great person as well and a credit to the sport. For me, he’s got everything. He is magical. “

Adriano Galliani (vice-president Milan): "Messi is the best player ever. And this is said by someone who has seen Maradona and Pele play."

Gary LINEKER: “Fella’s a genius! Best ever by a distance in my life time! Never really saw Pele [...] Wait til he grows up! SOUNESS, GULLIT, VENABLES and now ROONEY agree MESSI is the best they have seen. He plays a game to which we are not familiar.”

Tom Huddlestone - ”Is messi the best ever?? Best I've seen”

Arsene Wenger – Who's the best player in the world? ”Lionel Messi.” Who's the best player of all time? ”Lionel Messi.”

Roy Keane (ex-ManUtd): "I was a big fan of Maradona growing up and of the current crop Ronaldo is good, but Messi is the best I've ever seen"

Mike Gibbons. - "Messi is Maradona meets Gerd Muller."

Rudi Voller: ”Messi is now in the same league as Pele and Maradona”

WayneRooney ”Messi is a joke. For me the best ever. ”

Michael Owen ”Not old enough to see some of the greats but I can't believe anyone can have played the game of football as well as Messi. ”

Jose Luis Chilavert - "Messi is the best, he is better than Maradona," he affirmed. "At Messi's age, Maradona had not won not even 1 percent of what Messi has won."

Ossie Ardiles - “I think he’s certainly the best player of his generation. And I definitely believe not only that but he’s the best player in the history of football. To be perfectly honest, I thought I would never encounter anybody in the same league because Diego was a genius. One of the reasons I think Messi is better than Maradona and Pelé is evolution. People before say Pelé was running 5,000, 6,000 meters. Now they are running 9,000 meters. Now players eat better, train better, the pitches are better. So this is why I believe Messi is the very best ever.”

Ray Hudson (on Messi) - "The most complete footballista I've ever seen."

Gerry Armstrong (on Messi) - "I know what it's like to score against Barcelona, but end up losing 4-1. My first goal in Spanish league was against Barcelona. Unfortunately a certain Diego Maradona was in the side for Barcelona and he just took control and they beat us 4-1. 

Look at this little man, well, I think he's better than Maradona, I think he better than anybody I've ever seen."

Carlos Bianchi - Barcelona's Lionel Messi is better than Diego Maradona and Pele

"A few days ago I did a talk for a business and a Brazilian asked me in the middle of the conference who I considered the best footballer in history, Maradona or Pele. I answered that, with all due respect to those two, right now I see Messi as superior to everyone,"

"There have been excellent footballers that weren't able to play in great national teams to prove their class. Moving on from everything that has happened or will happen when he puts on the Argentina jersey, Messi confirms every week that he is capable of doing things that nobody else has managed in the history of football."

Ossie Ardiles - “I would now say that Lionel Messi will go down in history as the No.1 player of all time, the best that there ever was,"

Graeme Souness - "I think he might be the best player that has ever played the game, given that he's 23... He's best around, and I've played against Maradona many times, some people say that Maradona was better, but I disagree.

Clearly bunch of idiots, or is it just that you Vappatrini are just a fangirl? Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 am

It's called, being caught up in the moment... "kinda" like you right now. Remember this, what Messi does in La Liga, Diego did on the international level. Say whatever you like... that cannot be disputed or tarnished. Simple, simple question... if he is so great why does he continue to fail with his national team? World class talent all around... so what's the problem?

BTW, ask your poster boy which he'd prefer, all of his CL's, or just "1" WC. You take the word fanboy to new heights.

Last edited by Vapotrini on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 am

Caught in the moment? Laughing So Maradona is better because his team won one tournament? Laughing I take it back, you are a faninfant.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 am

No, Maradona is better because he took a vastly inferior team to the promise land. And yes, for JUST 1 TOURNAMENT. But it was the most important tourny!! One which Messi would give both his nuts to win. No matter though, keep making excuses. CL is the real tourny, right?

Last edited by Vapotrini on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:42 am

I'm not the one making excuses, I'm just replying to yours. Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 am

Vapotrini wrote:No, Maradona is better because he took a vastly inferior team to the promise land. And yes, for JUST 1 TOURNAMENT. But it was the most important tourny!! One which Messi would give both his nuts to win. No matter though, keep making excuses. CL is the real tourny, right?

Yeah, cause Argentina 86 was a pathetic squad. Only Maradona was good.

They didn't have superstars in all lines like Passarella in defence, Burruchaga and Valdano in midfield, Borghi upfront.

free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah free Cat, those guys were geniuses. lol!!!!!

Newsflash: They are immortalized now because of Diego. Without him, they go home very early. That team weren't much past average. Other than 10, the rest were merely role players. Great role players, but role players non the less. The entire world knew who ran the team and who you needed to stop for you to be successful. Yet they couldn't do it!!! With Messi, you mark him out and you have world class players everywhere to deal with, very tricky.

The difference is though, 10 could adjust to what was needed during a game. The ultimate captain! Both Vocal & physical, he lead by example... Got kicked down 50 times a game, but he'd get right back up and carry on. He took every bit of the pressure and he actually thrived on it. Ala Mourihno these days. However, please join the rest in thinking Messi is the best ever, and that I don't have a clue about what I'm talking about, that's your right. I will absolutely continue to laugh... for now.

Yeah, Diego was lucky, imagine if he was surrounded by scrubs like... Aguero, Tevez, Higuain, Di Maria, Lavezzi. Luckily for him he had Burrichaga & Valdano to carry him through the cup.

Do you hear yourself, seriously???

Last edited by Vapotrini on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:52 am

Vapotrini wrote:No, Maradona is better because he took a vastly inferior team to the promise land. And yes, for JUST 1 TOURNAMENT. But it was the most important tourny!! One which Messi would give both his nuts to win. No matter though, keep making excuses. CL is the real tourny, right?

:facepalm:

Vapotrini wrote:Yeah free Cat, those guys were geniuses. lol!!!!!

Newsflash: They are immortalized now because of Diego. Without him, they go home very early. That team weren't much past average. Other than 10, the rest were merely role players. The entire world knew who ran the team and who you needed to stop for you to be successful.

Believe it... The difference is though, 10 could adjust to what was needed during a game. The ultimate captain! Both Vocal & physical... He took every bit of the pressure and he actually thrived on it. Ala Mourihno these days. However, join the rest in thinking Messi is the best ever, it's your right. I will absolutely continue to laugh, for now.

Yeah, Diego was lucky, imagine if he was surrounded by scrubs like... Aguero, Tevez, Higuain, Di Maria, Lavezzi. Luckily for him he had Burrichaga & Valdano to carry him through the cup. Do you hear yourself, seriously???

Argentina 86>>>>>>>>>>> Argentina today..

Better players =/= better team... Anyone with a brain knows that, otherwise galacticos would have won everything through 2000-2006 but as you know they didn't :facepalm:

All the great players that this Argentina has are forwards but the midfield at most is better than average(because of the selection made by the coaches) and the defenders..... I better not go into that part. Where as Argentina 86 had one of the best defence of the tournament..

Btw did you know that when Maradona was in Messi's age, EVERYONE bar the boca fans where saying that Maradona only plays good with his club and Bilardo admittted that before the tournament there were some that even said that he should NOT have called Maradona to the WC?

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 am

Sorry, stop reading after Argentina of 86 over Argentina of today.

Good luck to you.

Keep making all the excuses you like. I saw it my friend.

Simple question, exactly why would I proclaim that Diego is better? Why? Honestly, why? What do I have to gain? I'm not Argentinian. I just appreciate the game as we all do. There's no logical reason behind me picking sides. I've been backing Barca since forever, Ronald Koeman days to be precise. Been backing Argentina since I was 8, which trust me, is a very long time ago. So why would I prefer one over another unless I really thought it? It's terribly sad how bias you guys are. Messi is undoubtedly a fantastic goal scoring machine, but as far as creativity and wonderlust go... they've been better, much better! Much more complete. Honestly, Messi's dribbling skills may be unparallelled, but when it comes to raw skill, he's not even 50% of Maradona. That's why I keep harping about how Messi doesn't have the skills to compare, cause, he doesn't! Simple as that... Only player who came close in my life time, was Ronnie.

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm

You must be one of those who belive that if you buy the best player you will get the best team, right? That's the only explanation that I can understand that would make you say that todays argentina is better than that argentina..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm

harhar11 wrote:You must be one of those who belive that if you buy the best player you will get the best team, right? That's the only explanation that I can understand that would make you say that todays argentina is better than that argentina..

You're right, 86 Argentina were world beaters. They win with even me as number 10.

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Vapotrini wrote:Sorry, stop reading after Argentina of 86 over Argentina of today.

Good luck to you.

Simple question, exactly why would I proclaim that Diego is better? Why? Honestly, why? What do I have to gain? I'm not Argentinian. I just appreciate the game as we all do. There's no logical reason behind me picking sides. I've been backing Barca since forever, Ronald Koeman days to be precise. Been backing Argentina since I was 8, which trust me, is a very long time ago. So why would I prefer one over another unless I really thought it? It's terribly sad how bias you guys are. Messi is undoubtedly a fantastic goal scoring machine, but as far as creativity and wonderlust go... they've been better, much better! Much more complete. Honestly, Messi's dribbling skills may be unparallelled, but when it comes to raw skill, he's not even 50% of Maradona. That's why I keep harping about how Messi doesn't have the skills to compare, cause, he doesn't! Simple as that... Only player who came close in my life time, was Ronnie.

How can you say Messi does not have raw skill? What do you mean by raw skill anyway?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:59 pm

I mean Ronnie like skills... he/they can do what ever they like with the ball. Messi is a terror running at goal, no frills, no thrills, he's ruthless. He's COMPLETELY different. Much more effective...

Diego and Ronnie were different though, they were more "raw skill" kinda guys. Shake 1 or 2, pass off... do whatever, they were more entertainers if you will. And maybe that's what I miss the most. Any 11 idiots can line up and play, but those guys made you feel like you were included. They catered to the masses and brought something different. They really entertained. I sorely miss that aspect of the game...

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Vapotrini wrote:Sorry, stop reading after Argentina of 86 over Argentina of today.

Good luck to you.

I did not see Maradona play, so i steered out of this converstaion, but saying Messi is not 50% of Maradona is pure bias. Take a rest my friend, and think about it a bit. There are hundreds of players, journalists, coaches and fans who say Messi is the best ever, i do not see how would so many football experts say that if he is not even 50% Maradona's raw skill.

Again, not saying he is better or worst than Maradona, but trust me you do not need to talk BS about Messi to prove your point, actually I was enjoying your somment until i read these crap. Just makes you look like a Maradona fanboy.
eelir
eelir
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm

eelir wrote:
I did not see Maradona play, so i steered out of this converstaion, but saying Messi is not 50% of Maradona is pure bias.

And you should have kept out from that line alone. Besides that though, that's based on what, other people's decisions?

It all depends on your definition of skillful. From where I'm sitting, Messi is not all that skillful, he's just extremely effective. He has the unique attribute of having the ball glued to his laces. If he didn't have that though, how effective would he be? Think about it. He'd be very good but not GREAT!

That's where those guys differ. They both had that to a degree, but no one more so than Messi. However, that's his end game....that's it. Where the other's are concerned, that's just a single aspect of their game. They brought way more to the table than that...

So let me say again, if you think Messi is even close to Diego skill wise, sorry, but you're sorely mistaken. At 50 years old while coaching and catching kicks, Diego was hitting free kicks better than the ENTIRE WC squad. If that doesn't clue you in, nothing will.

Don't worry, 20 years from now people will dismiss Messi in the same way, and then you'll understand.

Last edited by Vapotrini on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 6 times in total

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Vapotrini wrote:I mean Ronnie like skills... he/they can do what ever they like with the ball. Messi is a terror running at goal, no frills, no thrills, he's ruthless. He's COMPLETELY different. Much more effective...

Diego and Ronnie were different though, they were more "raw skill" kinda guys. Shake 1 or 2, pass off... do whatever, they were more entertainers if you will. And maybe that's what I miss the most. Any 11 idiots can line up and play, but those guys made you feel like you were included. They catered to the masses and brought something different. They really entertained. I sorely miss that aspect of the game...

I get your point. Messi provides a different kind of entertainment though.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Maradona's WC is overrated. if you watch and analyse every match you can see that he didnt do more than what messi does in one match

1978 argentina WC champion
1982 maradona flops in WC with WC winning squad
1986 he wins it with WC winning squad

question is if he won games by himself why he didnt win 82 WC with such saquad. if its about one player's effectiveness then messi is the most effective player. tricks or raw skills = waste of time its a proven fact
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Vapotrini Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes Billion, how dare Maradona flop in 1982 at the ripe old age of 22. He should be winning world cup's like Lionel Messi. Oh, wait a sec...

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Vapotrini wrote:
eelir wrote:
I did not see Maradona play, so i steered out of this converstaion, but saying Messi is not 50% of Maradona is pure bias.

And you should have kept out from that line alone. Besides that though, that's based on what, other people's decisions?

It all depends on your definition of skillful. From where I'm sitting, Messi is not all that skillful, he's just extremely effective. He has the unique attribute of having the ball glued to his laces. If he didn't have that though, how effective would he be? Think about it. He'd be very good but not GREAT!

That's where those guys differ. They both had that to a degree, but no one more so than Messi. However, that's his end game....that's it. Where the other's are concerned, that's just a single aspect of their game. They brought way more to the table than that...

So let me say again, if you think Messi is even close to Diego skill wise, sorry, but you're sorely mistaken. At 50 years old while coaching and catching kicks, Diego was hitting free kicks better than the ENTIRE WC squad. If that doesn't clue you in, nothing will.

Don't worry, 20 years from now people will dismiss Messi in the same way, and then you'll understand.

Dude as i said, not saying he is better or worse. What i can say about Maradona, is what i have seen mainly in clips on youtube, his highlights, best moments, so i cant judge him based on that.

But saying the only thing Messi has is his effectivnes as he is able to glue a ball to the shoe is... (well i see now you might be much older the I so I will not say what I intended). Messi has almost all from what I have seen Maradona does, minus maybe weaker distance shot and leader spirit and charisma. But, ont the other end, he looks quicker (to me at least) and yes, more efficient. More efficient is what everyone wants at the end of the day, right???

And if Messi did not have the ball glued to his feet, he still would be a monster finisher, a great passer, awesome vision, superb through ball player, excellent work rate, one of the quickest players out there... should i continue????

So, in my humble opinion they are pretty much equal, one might be better than the other, but i am in no condition to judge that, but I think i know that much of football as to say that they are not far off from each other as you are trying to make it look like.

And if you talk about style, that is completely different thing. IMO Ronaldinho was not as good as Messi, but boy did I like him playing. He had a flair, great movements and style - a joy to watch. Messi is more effective, in the end meaning he does things better, meaning better player. Is he better to watch than prime Dinho?? Not for me, but I still do enjoy him A LOT.
eelir
eelir
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next