Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament?

+22
Ion Creanga
rwo power
harhar11
Mamad
Art Morte
Harmonica
Patrick Bateman
billionmillion
The Sanchez
Cruijf
Valkyrja
Zealous
billy_gr
Babun
MrDeeds
urbaNRoots
The Franchise
Tifoso Romanista
Adit
Onyx
Great Leader Sprucenuce
messixaviesta
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament? Empty Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament?

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm

The way I see it there are four leading contenders so far. They are given below in no particular order.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Andres Iniesta
Mesut Ozil
Andrea Pirlo

These are incidentally also the only players to have won two man of the match awards in the tournament so far.

It's likely that the winner of this award will be chosen from the champion team although someone like C.Ronaldo could even win it without winning the trophy.

Pirlo and C.Ronaldo play for teams that totally depend on them and play for them. Ozil not quite but he still is the player who runs the final third. In case of Iniesta he is surrounded by several other creative midfielders of the highest class which means he does not get the same kind of sole responsibility that the other three here get but he still remains the team's MVP and magic man. In that kind of scenario it can be more difficult to be noticed but then again you also get more help from others in overcoming the opposition. So I guess it kind of evens out.

I also think that the winner of this award will make a big challenge for Best Player in Europe and the Fifa Ballon D'or. He could win it but he should at least finish in the top three.

What do you all think?

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament? Empty Re: Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 pm

I was going to make a detailed response to this, but JD you have pretty much nailed everything that was in my mind.

I think it's safe to say those are 4 contenders and the ones making the difference for their teams.

The player of the tournament will probably go to which player wins the tournament.

All 4 of them would deserve it for all different reasons.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament? Empty Re: Who Will Be Euro 2012 Player Of The Tournament?

Post by Onyx Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Yeh I think it'll be from the team who wins the tournament. Ozil is Germany's link, so I think he can be in the same category as Pirlo and Ronaldo. Alonso could also be there if he performs well in the semis and the final if Spain get there.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:35 pm

I agree Pirlo and CR plays in a team that is totally dependent on them.While Germany and Spain is alot more collective which is the reason either of them are going to win the euros.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Pirlo
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm

I thin Iniesta stands out less thus far, not because he is playing at a lower level, simply he has better players around him and obviously Spain are the least dynamic team due to their line up.

But yeah, all have a shot in my opinion.

To this point, Pirlo to me has been the most important player for his team.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:34 pm

It's hard to say, whoever from that crop goes to the final will have a better chance of being selected "Player of the Tournament" as I see Spain and Germany going to the final I'm picking Özil or Iniesta.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys - all great to read.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MrDeeds Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Pirlo.

Iniesta is out of this world, but no assits or goals.

MrDeeds
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 am

MrDeeds wrote:Pirlo.

Iniesta is out of this world, but no assits or goals.

He does have one assist but he's rarely been high on stats anyway. They do matter to an extent but I don't think stats will be the overwhelming factor when deciding such awards. As I always say it's the moments and the difference that a player makes in those that count most. So above all it depends on who wins the tournament and which players are most decisive in determining the outcomes of the remaining three matches in their team's favor.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:43 am

Interesting thread. I'd say the semis would deliever perfect answers for this questions to an extent. Italy vs. Germany is basicaly Pirlo vs. Özil on tactical level. Whoever does something to win the game will succeed.

On the other hand CR7 could prove hs quality against Spain. For me' he's got a perfect setup: A very solid defence, 3 destroyers in midfield who could join attacks, a CF who makes dummy runs to take CBs away and A Di Maria like player on the other side of the wing. Of course, they miss an AM but it could be come a non factor for the way Portugal play. Spain's defence isn't the best in this tournament.

Iniesta would have to score or assist against this team defending in numbers to get any accolade because passing around the box wouldn't be enough to destroy a PTB.

I don't know whether Özil will mark Pirlo or not. If he does we'll see less of him overall and he may be spent after 70 minutes but Germany has got overall more quality than Italy and we may win. If he manages to contribute to a win this way,yeah, he'll be listed as one of the contenders.

Pirlo has got it the hardest. While he is undoubtly the most influental of those four players he's got to depend on less quality than other teams. He may control the game but still lose due to lousy finishing of his team mates ( I'm talking about all of their finishers, from midfielders to forwards). If he manages to beat Germany with that team I would give him goallegacy's Player of The Tournament award regardless of what UEFA thinks eco smile

Last edited by Immortal Babun on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 am; edited 5 times in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:47 am

as for now I think Pirlo is the most vital player of the turnament.
let's see what happens on the semi finals
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 am

Yeah Pirlo stands out as MVP so far.

But it'll go to whoever leads his team to the trophy so we'll have to wait and see.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 am

Alonso won't be recognised.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:07 am

Pirlo has consistently carried an otherwise subpar Italy team and has done it with CLASS. Every second I watch him I cry that Milan let him go.

Ozil is definitely another contender. Has completely reached another planet with his football at times.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:14 am

C.Ronaldo, Iniesta, Pirlo and Ozil are my four and however wins Euro, one of those players will get it.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 pm

So now will it be Andres Iniesta?

Or it could still go to Andrea Pirlo?

Anyone else has a chance?

If Iniesta wins then I don't know what I will do. It was my dream. I would just want to throw a party somehow and go crazy. I am already too happy now and this will just make everything 100% perfect.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Iniesta deserves it all. If he doesn't win it, I've lost my hope on fairness.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:56 pm

Alonso or Iniesta imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 am

Pirlo.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 am

Still a tough one.

If Pirlo went out on his shield, all guns blazing and balling I would give it to him.

But I wasnt impressed and thus Iniesta to me has to be right up there.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Iniesta deserves it all. If he doesn't win it, I've lost my hope on fairness.

True. I don't think he had a single bad game in the entire tournament.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:28 am

The Franchise wrote:Still a tough one.

If Pirlo went out on his shield, all guns blazing and balling I would give it to him.

But I wasnt impressed and thus Iniesta to me has to be right up there.

Very well said dani. I can hardly wait for the announcement. Neither can I sleep tonight nor do I want to go to office tomorrow.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am

voters are glory hunters i expect Torres will win it. Iniesta deserves it without question
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:56 am

billionmillion wrote:voters are glory hunters i expect Torres will win it. Iniesta deserves it without question

I think it will be chosen by a panel of experts, not by voters for goodness sake.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next