How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title?

+18
I Have Mono
McLewis
dronte
Tomasso Nerazzurro
LeBéninois
yoonie
Catracho
Kick
vivabarca38
Rebaño Sagrado
Swanhends
justdoit_
Sushi Master
la bestia negra
Ganso
Harmonica
rwo power
BarrileteCosmico
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title? Empty How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Certainly worse than the WC or the continental cup, but not exactly a trophy you wouldn't want. Would you prefer the Confederations cup or the Olympic gold? Which is more prestigious?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title? Empty Re: How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title?

Post by rwo power Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 pm

For some reason, I have never taken football at the Olympics really seriously. I guess it is because the teams are neither real youth teams nor amateur teams, but just some weird mix and because rarely the best players could be picked due to various reasons.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title? Empty Re: How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title?

Post by Harmonica Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Major

1. WC
2. Euro/CA

Minor

3. Confederations Cup
4. Olympics

I don't think there is really difference between them, although they are different. Confederations Cup feels more like of super cup type of deal after winning a major tournament, which it is. In Olympics there are obviously less quality when they allow only 3 over 23 years olds, but then again it's "Olympics", and it's played in full tournament style.

EDIT: actually in Olympics there is only one game more, so there isn't even big difference there either.

Last edited by jiopsi on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 pm

how is the confederations cup a "minor" trophy?its in 3rd place,but definitely not a minor trophy.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:04 pm

It most certainly is minor, few teams, and even fewer quality teams.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 pm

next year's conf cup has Brazil,Italy,Spain,Uruguay,Japan,Mexico and an African team.that is as hard as an Euro or WC.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 pm

One of the tougher cups, which says lot.

2009 edition

3 actual teams

Brazil
Italy
Spain

and the usual fodder

South Africa
United States
Iraq
Egypt
New Zealand
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 pm

jiopsi wrote:One of the tougher cups, which says lot.

2009 edition

3 actual teams

Brazil
Italy
Spain

and the usual fodder

South Africa
United States
Iraq
Egypt
New Zealand

:facepalm:
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 pm

The olympics is definitely more prestigious than the confederations cup. It might be an almost U23 side, but it's the olympics.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I guess to an individual player it might mean a lot. I mean, yeah, Olympics. Best in the world, gold medal and all that.

But on footballing terms it's pretty meh. No one looks at a potential buy and says, "oh, top seasons in Serie A, CL regular... oh, Gold in the Olympics we must have him!".
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:14 pm

2009 edition

3 actual teams

Spain

and the usual fodder

United States
How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title? 618px-Trollface_HD
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:43 am

justdoit_ wrote:

2009 edition

3 actual teams

Spain

and the usual fodder

United States
How do you rate the Olympic Gold as an international title? 618px-Trollface_HD

Laughing

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:09 am

I wonder why the US isn't going to the Confederations Cup in Brazil hmm
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 am

We got knocked out from the second round of the Afcon qualifiers :facepalm: Laughing.We won three in a row and now we cant even qualify ffs.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:38 am

Considering there aren't many, pretty highly.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 am

I think you have the split the two comps...

Highest trophy regarded as a futebol player = World Cup

Highest trophy regarded as an Athlete = Olympics
Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by yoonie Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 am

Catracho wrote:I think you have the split the two comps...

Highest trophy regarded as a futebol player = World Cup

Highest trophy regarded as an Athlete = Olympics

Nice one there... but a football player is an athlete right??? TROLOL!

I guess the Olympics gives a different sense of acheivement considering you represent your country along with the rest of the athletes of different sports.
yoonie
yoonie
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:27 pm

vivabarca38 wrote:We got knocked out from the second round of the Afcon qualifiers :facepalm: Laughing.We won three in a row and now we cant even qualify ffs.

Well, your main players are aging and with the revolution and all but i believe you guys will be back at the top. i admire your organisation
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomasso Nerazzurro Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 am

It's as important as the Confederations Cup.
Tomasso Nerazzurro
Tomasso Nerazzurro
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 am

before i didnt take it seriously, now the modern football is more attractive, and there are so many talents who didnt get chance in normal games in national team can take part, (men) and has chance to prove their point and make the country proud. and women football is getting a bit fun to watch too.

so i start to feel olympic gold is quite a big deal now...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 am

Above the Confederations Cup, simply because it is a Gold medal, despite the football not being as good. Kind of like how I would rather win the World Cup, than the Champions League - the football of the CL is superior, but the World Cup is the biggest stage in football. Likewise, winning a Gold medal for your country would be utterly amazing, while the Confederations Cup is something that is just (very) nice to win, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by dronte Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 am

JespSwe wrote:before i didnt take it seriously, now the modern football is more attractive, and there are so many talents who didnt get chance in normal games in national team can take part, (men) and has chance to prove their point and make the country proud. and women football is getting a bit fun to watch too.

so i start to feel olympic gold is quite a big deal now...
Exactly what I thought, except the women part Very Happy
Way more people turn their attention to Olympic football , at least that's what I see. I can tell you I didn't watch it in the past, but seeing great talents like Damiao and Neymar, I watch every match I can Very Happy

dronte
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:16 am

dronte wrote:Exactly what I thought, except the women part Very Happy
Tsk tsk! You miss out on some excellent entertainment then Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Quite prestigious, I'd say. It's an Olympic gold medal after all. That in itself gives the tournament some glitter. Some of the best players in the game have made their name in the Olympics so it's no Mickey Mouse comp by any stretch.

Obviously for pure football fans, it's nowhere near the heights of the CL and WC, but I rate it higher than the World Club Cup at least. Same tier as the Confed Cup and AFCON sounds right to me. Just below Copa America and The Euros though.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:55 pm

BETTER THAN THE WC FFS
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next