"Milan are at year zero, but the market is long"
Massimiliano Allegri

"The top players no longer come, but we can form a team."
Adriano Galliani

"I want to make clear that it was not my fault and I say sorry to Milan fans"
Thiago Silva

"A new Milan will be born"
Urby Emanuelson

It's often said that a year is a short time in football. One year ago, our proud team was lifting the Scudetto. That team had star players, chemistry and it was built on the backbone of champions past. There was quality in all areas of the field.

Then...
Old Problems in the New Era AC+Milan-Serie+A-Champions+2011+cropped

Since then, Milan have played a season where the team was nothing but a foil to the eventual success of Juventus. However, Juve has not stopped at that. Rather, they've brought in two great midfielders from the third place team of 2011/12, in Asamoah and Isla of Udinese. In addition, they have killed two birds with one stone through the purchase of Lucio, who will serve to bolster the defence as well as weakening Inter, who may not be Scudetto contenders, but have been Juve's most hated rivals since the aftermath of Calciopoli. Not to mention the handy signings of Giovinco and Pogba. Contrast this progress with the shambles that is AC Milan.

Now...
Old Problems in the New Era Prima_10

GONE: Maxi Lopez (Samp), Seedorf (Botafogo), Nesta (Montreal), Gattuso (Sion), van Bommel (PSV), Aquilani (Liverpool), Zambrotta (no club), Inzaghi (no club), Thiago Silva (PSG), Ibrahimovic (PSG).

LEAVING? Robinho

If our first team were to line-up for a game now, this might be what you'd see:

Old Problems in the New Era Goos_s10
(Arrivals in red and CAPS)

In my opinion, that XI is not even good enough to make champions league places in Serie A, let alone challenge for the title. Seriously competing in Champions league and challenging the best teams in Europe would be embarrassing. So where do we start rebuilding? Let's look at the gaps in the starting XI:

Old Problems in the New Era Goos_s12

GK
ABBIATI is a good goalkeeper, there is no pressing need to replace him. AMELIA is a adequate back-up. GABRIEL and PAZZAGLI are ideal 3rd or 4th keepers.

LB
ANTONINI is a weakness, yet he is the only experienced natural LB left in the team. Personally, I would rather have DIDAC in the starting line-up. However, our seemingly anti-youth coach who is only too aware of Antonini's failings will almost certainly pick him over Didac anyway. For the same reason, Allegri will be reluctant to give the promising youth product DE SCIGLIO a chance. EMANUELSON is not a natural LB, but the modern wing-back is becoming increasingly like an attacking winger, so perhaps this wouldn't be the massive disaster it appears to be on the face of it. Worryingly though, Emanuelson has very limited defensive capabilities. Hence, I think it would be much better if he was used as a utility midfielder. MESBAH is just not up to it. TAIWO has returned from his loan at QPR, but there is no need to keep him.

CB
MEXES is quite simply not starting material. I have been saying this for a while now and my stance has only been reinforced by a string of dreadful displays for the French national team in Euro 2012. He is technically good, but is bereft of pace and positional awareness. ACERBI will be an unknown quantity at Milan. I would've given him a shot next to the titan that is Thiago Silva, but without the money for a comparable replacement for the latter, we will need a better pairing than Acerbi and another B-grade player. YEPES is in the squad for depth. BONERA cannot and should not be trusted under any circumstances.

RB
ABATE is a solid starter. DE SCIGLIO should be considered as a back-up.

LM
NOCERINO has earned his starting place. CONSTANT is a solid back-up.

CM
There are some serious problems here. AMBROSINI is very rusty and lacks stamina. TRAORE is more likely to be another sub-par player than a famous Galliani transfer miracle pulled out from the bargain bin. I detest MUNTARI because of his lack of creativity or vision and poor passing skills. We definitely need a better starter than him. His long-term injury (ACL, back in Dec) will hopefully give the chance for some other players to establish themselves. STRASSER also has a long-term injury (ankle, back in Sept).

RM
Traditionally a deep-lying playmaker, MONTOLIVO will likely play in RM because there is no room for his preferred position in Allegri's system. FLAMINI probably will be his back-up.

TQ
BOATENG owns this position. Nobody on our team can play as well as him here. EMANUELSON and EL SHAARAWY are decent back-ups, but our team is noticeably slower and more static without KPB. The signing of a new CM who can play TQ (e.g. Hernanes) would be fantastic.

FWD
CASSANO and PATO are both talented players, but neither has a habit of being 100% fit for the whole season and both don't have the ability to score the weight of goals needed. Signing another high-quality striker is necessary. EL SHAARAWY is a potential star, but he's not ready to become the focal point of the team yet. ROBINHO will probably be sold to Santos. If he stays, Robinho will might play as off the bench or when Cassano and Pato are injured. His finishing will have to improve drastically to force Cassano or Pato out of a starting spot.

Calciomercato...

Based on this analysis of the team's issues, what should our priorities be? Here's my 'to do list':

1. Two centre-backs
2. A striker
3. A centre mid
4. A left back

Possibilities (only includes players who have not been linked to Milan so far):
1. Ogbonna (Torino), Yanga-Mbiwa (Montpellier), Uvini (Sao Paolo), Rolando (Porto), Tasci (Stuttgart), Astori (Cagliari)
2. Damiao (Internacional), van Persie (Arsenal), Matri (Juventus), Dzeko (Man C), Tevez (Man C), Destro (Siena)
3. Hernanes (Lazio), Ganso (Santos), Sahin (R. Madrid), Lass (R. Madrid), Kaka (R. Madrid), Strootman (PSV)
4. Kolarov (Man C)

Next season...

Old Problems in the New Era Goos_s13

Not bad. Will it actually happen? Probably not. We can still hope it does though.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Old Problems in the New Era Empty Re: Old Problems in the New Era

Post by Ganso Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 pm

we can forget about Damiao,Internacaional just sold Oscar to Chelsea.

Im wishing we can get Hernanes,mbiwa/ogbonna and a striker (Dzeko).In total,i think we would spend 40M there and would have around 20M to inject in the club.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:58 pm

If we can't get Damiao, Dzeko will have to do. As long as we got a solid striker and a solid CB or two, Milan should make CL.
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Adriano Galliani has promised “Milan are prepared to reimburse the season tickets of those who are not satisfied with our transfer campaign.”

Supporters are planning protests at tonight’s Trofeo TIM mini-tournament in Bari against Inter and Juventus after the Rossoneri sold Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic to PSG.

Some have even stated they intend to sue the club for false advertising because the season ticket campaign was fronted by the two now departed stars.

Milan are prepared to reimburse the season tickets of those who are not satisfied with our transfer campaign this summer,” Vice-President Galliani told the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

Season ticket sales had already been sluggish compared to last year, as players such as Alessandro Nesta, Gennaro Gattuso, Clarence Seedorf, Pippo Inzaghi, Mark Van Bommel and Gianluca Zambrotta left.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow .... galliani already forfeits ....

he and his management has only themselves to blame for this.

if what he says is true, we might probably conclude transfer market like this...

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:43 pm

How about a 4-3-3? The midfield would be similar to Juve's. 2 B2B's and a DLP.

-----------Montolivo
------Boateng---Nocerino
RW------------------------Robinho
--------------Pato

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:06 pm

I firmly support the hernanes move, we have been linked to him as of late as well
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:12 pm

I really like that center back Yanga-Mbiwa 23 years old and captain of a team that won his league and he is a available for about 6mil.
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Nocerino Monty Boateng is a good trio of a midfield, and the fact that all of them are good long shooters and very clinical plus very high work-rate with a good winning ball back ability!

I think Cassano as a attacking midfielder is one of the best in the world, his creativity is out of this world! Pato tends to be very clinical when he is fit but he is never fit therefore it pose an issue of reliance, we have no other striker who we can rely on for goals.

Robinho is very good as a winger as it limits his goal sight but helps him find space to maximize his best attributes; speed and dribbling, however we are unlikely to play with a winger system therefore he is proffered as a striker who moves wide.

Emanuelson have worked very well as an attacking LB as he is originally a winger but he is not good defensively, Allegri has already stated he will be deployed as our left back next season which is good move in my opinion; having one defensive full back and one offensive one, we also get speed on the wings to catch any speedy forward who might break loose.

Abate have disappointed at times but he is still one of the best defensively capable right backs in the world, although his crossing isn't impressive it tends to be disappointing due to the fact that we have no actual quality header of the ball in the team, except for maybe Maxi who has confirmed his departure; very disappointed that we let him go, he is a very good underrated player who always came through when we needed him!

Our centre backs is our main concern at the moment, although Mexes is solid he has proven he can be a liability and should only be preserved as backup in my honest opinion. Ely has the potential to be the next Nesta but he should grow into the team and not just be thrown into unknown territory, Acerbi has the potential and age on his side and with the departure of Silva he will become probably our best defender next season, Bonera is either brilliant ( see Barcelona quarter final first leg performance ) or a threat into our own goal; he should remain as backup option! Yepes is the only natural leader in our defensive line but he is very old and not starting meterial in my opinion.

El Sharaawy is our golden boy, he should be played frequency as he is about everything we ever wanted from Robinho bar finishing, he should play more often now with the lack of quantity in forwards we currently possess and also should also be tried into the attacking midfielder position; one very strong point about him is him being unrestricted so he can grow into his maximize potential.

Mattia should pose a challenge to our fullbacks next season, we all saw his quality playing in the opposite side of the pitch in a big derby with lots of pressure in him and almost no experience, we should groom him into the team and hope he doesn't end up as any other youngster of our wasted.

We have not seen much of Vila therefore we should not comment about him, we should rather give him the chance to prove his quality.

Nocerino is the signing of the decade, a challenger for the signing of the century as well, never in our entire lifer have we seen so much quality in such price, not even a million and he returned quality important goals against superior opponents such as Barcelona and Juventus, he was so important to our challenge and his work rate is quite high, he is vital to us in the future, with a little bit of guiding by Ambrosini his positioning in defence should improve, his run forward and smartness off the ball is very good and should give us the extra dimensions.

Boateng is a very good unpredictable player, he has the skill to always find space and he has quite a vicious shot, he should be moved back into the midfield and although we lose some of his goal threat it gives him much space to run from behind and be found by our creative forward line. Him, Cassano and Robinho are probably the only players we still have that are really difficult to man mark.

Monty is our creative player in the middle, everything should go through him, he is difficult to mark but not impossible, and even if man marked, it'll give space to Nocerino and Boateng who possess very high work rate to run through the middle to bring the ball forward, his long passing ability could be vital since we possess one of the quickest forward line in the world, they can easily break loose against a team not parking the bus and never be caught, we all saw his quality against Germany and although he disappears at time, he could very easily provide that one moment of magic that decides a game, his defensive quality should not be questioned as although he isn't solid at one on ones, he reads the game so brilliantly he intercepts many balls.

We missed the services of quality players over large periods of times last season, and if the change in the medical lab is an improvement we should witness a very good team next season.

I believe losing Ibra might be a blessing in disguise, although he is probably the best 9 in the world, the tactics that we require to play for him are negative and an improvement would be actually passing the ball rather then rely only on him.

All in all, we still have the quality to compete in the league and give a good run in the CL however it all depends on player such as Pato and Cassano finding forms, creating partnerships and remaining fit.
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:18 pm

I just noticed my post was too long and still haven't gave tactics yet and didn't go into reserves, except a more detailed post tomorrow.
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Eivindo Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Hernanes is waaaay to expensive for our new economic approach. As I understand it, we are gonna inject most of the money into the club, so we are looking for excellent "Galliani-signings", "forgotten jewels" or whatever. The only place Galliani spoke of "champions" was regarding a new forward, but it will hardly be what people today think of as a champion. Unfortunately, Matri won with Juve last year, so he could technically be a "champion" pale

Mexes as our main CB? I will have nightmares when we go into the CL...
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:50 am

Eivindo wrote:Hernanes is waaaay to expensive for our new economic approach. As I understand it, we are gonna inject most of the money into the club, so we are looking for excellent "Galliani-signings", "forgotten jewels" or whatever. The only place Galliani spoke of "champions" was regarding a new forward, but it will hardly be what people today think of as a champion. Unfortunately, Matri won with Juve last year, so he could technically be a "champion" pale

Mexes as our main CB? I will have nightmares when we go into the CL...

lol... at the matri point.. yeah since he won serie a .. well he is technically a champion...

he is good player i would be happy to have him...

lets hope we can strengthen in all areas...

but at this point, after reading galliani comments willing to repay the money back to fans lol that was silly of him...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down