The Messiah
stevieg8
Nishankly
Emaharg
McAgger
64 posters

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread

Post by TheRedStag Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Don't really see anything special about Sterling.

Really, for 17 he is extremely talented. Def a special player for his age. Whether he continues to improve and fulfill that potential is another issue.

TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread

Post by RealGunner Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 pm

He is pretty talented. Would have been at arsenal if liverpool had delayed their approach towards him by just a week.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 pm

I agree.

He isn't agile enough imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 pm

I'd be hesitant to call Sterling special. That's not me saying he isn't very talented, because he quite clearly is, but we've seen numerous young players who are quick and skillful breakthrough but then end up not living up to the hype and expectation. Shaun Wright-Phillips, for example. Theo Walcott is another.

In order to show he is special; a talent on an outstanding level, he has to show that, on top of his pace and skill, he is consistent, intelligent, able to adapt his game when defenders start working him out and able to produce. He'll need time to show he can do that.

Just for the record, I think the same way about Oxlade-Chamberlain, too.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:53 pm

It's still too early to make a judgement on Sterling's potential. Whilst he has looked solid and comfortable in a Liverpool shirt, it would be a bit premature to go over the top, since he's barely been tested at the top level. This is all to tie him down to play for England early, so that Jamaica don't call him up, clearly.

Saying that though, friendlies are about giving the "fringe" players a chance to shine, regardless of how little they have played in a season. England's midfield partnership remains the main talking point for me - still.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I disagree.

Hes special but people already putting too much pressure on him.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Rodgers: Please do not call Raheem up to the U-21s as we wish to protect him from over-exposure and over-work.

English FA: Sure, we'll respect your wishes and not call him up for the U-21s... senior squad is fine though, right?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm

II Capitano wrote:It's still too early to make a judgement on Sterling's potential. Whilst he has looked solid and comfortable in a Liverpool shirt, it would be a bit premature to go over the top, since he's barely been tested at the top level. This is all to tie him down to play for England early, so that Jamaica don't call him up, clearly.

Saying that though, friendlies are about giving the "fringe" players a chance to shine, regardless of how little they have played in a season. England's midfield partnership remains the main talking point for me - still.

its not a friendly lool
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 pm

RedOranje wrote:Rodgers: Please do not call Raheem up to the U-21s as we wish to protect him from over-exposure and over-work.

English FA: Sure, we'll respect your wishes and not call him up for the U-21s... senior squad is fine though, right?

The Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread - Page 4 123n7r
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 pm

An England Cap isn't what it used to be. A 17 yo getting called up after 2 games :facepalm:

Trying to tie him down because Jamaica came calling!!!???? LOL

Imagine Spain/Germany/Brazil worrying about a player choicing the 4/5th best team in concacaf over them Laughing
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 am

If he continues to develop his skills, his body, and his tactical awareness without some sort of set back, he has the potential to be VERY special. Notice all the qualifiers in there? Raheem is a special talent that is being thrust into the limelight because of a thin squad and transfers still bedding in. For him to get called up to the England squad, for a competitive game no less, is utter bollocks! The kid is good and has the potential to be great. However, one lengthy injury at this point in his career could seriously cap his potential. Additionally, so much attention and expectation could destroy his work-ethic or break his morale.

The ghost of Woy still haunts the Kop...
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 am

RedOranje wrote:Rodgers: Please do not call Raheem up to the U-21s as we wish to protect him from over-exposure and over-work.

THIS!!! F*cking FA Mad Rodgers asked them not to promote Raheem too quickly to the U21s, and what they do is calling up to the senior side :facepalm:

The damage here isn't just on physical level, but also psychological. You just don't give a 17 year old this much fame this quickly. Hopefully his mentality to get better doesn't change, him thinking he's already good enough is bound to make him exactly like SWP, Babel, and Walcott.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:26 am

Good news for English fans. :bow:

Sterling eyes place in Hodgson's starting XI after committing international future to England

By Dominic King

Raheem Sterling has pledged his international future to England and is determined to cement his place in Roy Hodgson’s squad by firing Liverpool’s push for the top four.

The Liverpool winger, who last week ended speculation about his club future by signing a five-year deal, won his first senior cap in the 4-2 defeat against Sweden last month and has represented England at every level from Under-16 onwards.

Sterling’s appearance in Stockholm, though, had not erased the possibility of him opting to pursue an international career with Jamaica – where he was born and the country where he lived until he was six – and the President of the Jamaican FA, Horace Burrell, held talks with him in October.

However, Sterling has revealed he will not be abandoning England, as he feels a debt of gratitude to the football system in which he has grown up. The 18-year-old can now expect to be given plenty more opportunities under Hodgson on the road to the 2014 World Cup.

'It was a dream come true (to play against Sweden),’ said Sterling. ‘As a 15-year-old I can remember sitting at home and praying to get an Under 16 call up, so to be getting a senior call-up a few years later was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

'I want to keep driving on and do a bit more. Obviously I’ve got Jamaican roots but no-one tried to put any pressure on me, which was the good thing. But I couldn’t turn my back on England because I’ve grown up through the English youth system and progressed from there.

'I couldn’t just switch over. So it was a good thing for me to be called up and make my debut. It’s 100 per cent going to be England from now on.’ This has been a whirlwind season for one with such a precocious talent and, in the space of five months, Sterling has gone from being an unheralded reserve to one of the most important players in Liverpool’s squad. His rise was reflected in the lucrative contract he signed last Friday.

Given all the talk that surrounded contract discussions, there has been a perception that Sterling is a cocky young man but that is far removed from the truth; his team-mates tell of him being humble, grounded and eager to learn. Sterling puts that down to the influence of his mother, Nadine.

'The contract was never about finance,’ said Sterling, who is expected to return to Liverpool’s starting line-up at Stoke this evening. ‘I just really wanted to get the contract sorted. When people were asking why I wasn’t signing it was at a time when we hadn’t even started negotiating

'Will I get distracted? No. I’ve got a good mum who always looks after me and helps me to keep my head down so that’s good. It’s obviously good that my mum has moved up here with my brothers and sisters because it’s a good feeling to be with your family.’

It isn’t just with off the field matters that mother knows best. Sterling has only scored one goal in 26 appearances for Liverpool this year and the statistic has been noted, both in the manager’s office at Anfield and at home.

'Mum wouldn’t let my feet get off the ground,’ explained Sterling, who moved to Liverpool from QPR in February 2010. ‘She thinks she knows a lot about football. She tries to tell me what I can do better.

'Some of the things the manager is telling me she is telling me as well, like about getting into the box. She says: “You’re never in the box!” but she must have a point because the manager is saying it as well!’ I really need to kick on in the New Year and show the fans and the club what I can do.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2253056/Raheem-Sterling-commits-international-future-England-ahead-Jamaica.html

17 games; 1 goal and 5 assists in his first season with the first team in just the PL. Keep in mind he's still only 18.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 am

Raheem Sterling assault case dismissed after no evidence offered

Liverpool footballer Raheem Sterling has had a common assault charge against him dropped after a witness failed to turn up to court.

The case against Sterling, 18, from Woolton, was dismissed at Liverpool Magistrates' Court after prosecutor Rob Jones offered no evidence.

The England star had been accused of assaulting a woman in Toxteth, Liverpool, last November.

The winger had previously entered a not guilty plea via his solicitor.

The Jamaican-born player made his senior international debut for England last November against Sweden and has earned plaudits for his performances for Liverpool this season.

Hopefully now he just focuses on football.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed May 22, 2013 4:00 am

ynwa wrote:17 games; 1 goal and 5 assists in his first season with the first team in just the PL. Keep in mind he's still only 18.

24 (19 starts) games; 2 goals and 6 assists in his debut season.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:21 am

Cleared for his assault charges. Figured I'd post it here so people would notice and we don't end up with yet another situation where all the neutrals on here judge him for things he didn't do.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 pm

WHAT A f*ckin PLAYER :bow:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Can't wait to hear the confusion among commentators on the day that Sturridge, Sterling, and Ibe all play together (should it ever come).
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm

a while ago there was a stats comparison posted between Sterling and Jumanji, don't know by whom and where, if anyone has that could they post it again, please?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:a while ago there was a stats comparison posted between Sterling and Jumanji, don't know by whom and where, if anyone has that could they post it again, please?

http://www.goallegacy.net/t34460p18-sterling-vs-januzaj-vs-gnarby-vs-delafouleou

The Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread - Page 4 999931_627589097306820_2108563965_n
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 pm

thanks, my friend
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Does that include today?
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:24 pm

no I think it's a couple of weeks old, now Sterling has more goals of course
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:25 am

btw Raheem's second goal today became his first ever career PL goal not assisted by Luis Suarez.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:39 am

20 games played (14 starts), 5 goals and 2 assists.

He's scored 5 goals from 31 shots... which isn't too bad looking at stats. But he's quite average in terms of shooting. If he can get an end product, the sky is the limit for this kid.

He's like Robbery put into one. Proud

Last edited by Red Alert on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:59 am

6 goals bruv
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next