+2
Art Morte
donttreadonred
6 posters

Go down

Ian Ayre May Be Replaced Empty Ian Ayre May Be Replaced

Post by donttreadonred Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Liverpool hunt new managing director after disastrous deadline day
Club owners Fenway Sports Group are furious over the collapse of Clint Dempsey's proposed move to Anfield, and have deemed Ian Ayre responsible

Sep 1, 2012 1:00:00 PM

EXCLUSIVE
By Richard Buxton

Liverpool will restart their search for a new managing director next week following a disastrous transfer deadline day at the club, Goal.com can reveal.

Owners Fenway Sports Group have revived their plans after Ayre was deemed culpable for Brendan Rodgers being left with only two recognised strikers when the transfer window closed on Friday night after their pursuit of Clint Dempsey fell through.

Ayre was charged with negotiating with Fulham for the striker, who had made no secret of his desire to move to Anfield and was greatly admired by the club's American owners, but refused to match Tottenham Hotspur's £6 million valuation which saw him move across the capital.

Rodgers was assured prior to allowing Andy Carroll to join West Ham United on a season-long loan that a deal for a replacement attacker was in place but the move for Dempsey, as well as that for Chelsea hitman Daniel Sturridge, failed to materialise.

Goal.com understands that this latest setback is the final straw for Anfield chiefs and has validated the long-standing concerns of principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner, the club's senior figureheads about the Merseyside-born businessman.

The pair both harboured misgivings about appointing Ayre to oversee the day-to-day running of the club following Christian Purslow's departure in late 2010, but were won over by his work within their commercial department, which saw him promoted in March 2011.

However, his controversial quotes on plans for Liverpool to lead a breakaway from the Premier League's overseas television rights deal prompted strong disapproval from their peers and set in motion what soon became a season-long PR blunder last term.

At the height of Luis Suarez's race row, Ayre sanctioned the publishing of a forthright statement on Liverpool's official website in response to the striker being hit with an eight-game suspension for abusing Patrice Evra, which contained several inaccuracies and was widely criticised.

His refusal to intervene in the infamous t-shirt debacle which took place before Liverpool's visit to Wigan the following night continued to plant seeds of doubt in the minds of the owners, who forced him to join Suarez and then manager Kenny Dalglish in issuing a public apology after the Uruguay international refused to shake hands with Evra ahead of a 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford.

It is currently unclear whether Ayre will be allowed to return to his original role as commercial director at Anfield, where he has been succeeded by Billy Hogan, who arrived from subsidiary Fenway Sports Management at the end of May, despite helping successfully negotiate deals for Liverpool's array of new commercial partners this summer.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2012/09/01/3346477/liverpool-hunt-new-managing-director-after-disastrous?source=breakingnews[quote]

It may only be Goal.com, but I wouldn't be surprised or opposed to the move, if true. Someone royally f****d up yesterday, and it has resulted in the club being embarrassed and exposed at a key position. Someone should answer for this level of mistake.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Ian Ayre May Be Replaced Empty Re: Ian Ayre May Be Replaced

Post by Art Morte Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:17 pm

It's goal.com so I don't know... Let's put it this way that if Ayre indeed is replaced, I will start taking goal.com articles more seriously.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Taking it at face value, I'd honestly understand the move, but think they may opt to simply move him back to working in the commercial branch full time (assuming he'd accept such a downgrade).

It would raise the question of who comes in to replace him, though. Will Rodgers get to pick? Will the owners look at previous targets? How long would it take? The last thing we need at the moment is another off-the-pitch distraction so hopefully IF the move is made it's done quickly and relatively quietly.

That said, neither Buxton nor Goal is generally known for his/its reliability, so we'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

Last edited by RedOranje on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:24 pm

The Telegraph's version of the story is that the owners didn't sanction a £7m move for Dempsey in spite of Rodgers trying to persuade them to release the funds for that. Impossible to say what's actually the truth.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:15 am

That'd be the best transfer of this summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:19 am

Relatively happy with no Dempsey.

Gerrard can do anything he can and better, Fitness I suppose is a concern but I don't particularly like Dempsey as a fit and he's not really in keeping with the youth transfer policy the club has exhibited.

Dempsey seemed to me like a rough decision, sure he can play a role , but as I said so much earlier in this thread , there are players scattered across Europe who are younger , similarly talented and can play the same role at lesser cost.

Like Michu.

The only reason I saw it as a feasible move was from a marketing standpoint to increase Liverpool's appeal in the American market (Judging from GL it's doing well anyway Very Happy:)

As for the topic at hand, whoever has handled stuff this summer has sone great work.So I wouldn't be quick to let them go .But then again it may b
have been a collective effiort this summer and this an individual mistake backed by a pattern of errors highlighted by the article , so I'm not sure either way.

Honestly holding onto Bellamy would not have been a bad idea at all.

Last edited by Le Samourai on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:10 am

Or even better, Kuyt.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:37 am

Le Samourai wrote:

The only reason I saw it as a feasible move was from a marketing standpoint to increase Liberpool appeal in the American market (Judging from GL it's doing well anyway Very Happy:)

DUDE SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid Shocked
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:47 am

Fahim89 wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:

The only reason I saw it as a feasible move was from a marketing standpoint to increase Liberpool appeal in the American market (Judging from GL it's doing well anyway Very Happy:)

DUDE SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid Shocked

Honest mistake.

The keys are alongside each other lol

Art Morte wrote:

Or even better, Kuyt.

Well either one really.

Bellamy is a slightly better player, Kuyt would've been more steady and availably.Kuut I think was replaced with Borini, Bellamy was not rreally replaced at all and he was a huge part of most of the relative successes of last season,
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:15 am

Keeping one of Maxi, Kuyt, or Bellamy for at least another season would've been great.

I'm very happy with our transfer policy this summer. Everything went to my liking.
- We brought in a proven WC player (Sahin).
- We brought in young players with high potential for relatively good money
- We got rid of dead wood and other under performing players.
- Cut the wage list significantly.
- Squad looks better than last year (albeit thin in certain areas)
- WE KEPT ALL OF OUR IMPORTANT PLAYERS (can't stress how important this was)
- Kept transfers relatively quite from the media (i.e. Assaidi, Yesil)
- We didn't panic on deadline day and overspend like we did on Carroll in Jan 2011.

I'm very happy with whoever was dealing with transfers this summer. If it was Ayre then it would be a huge mistake to replace him. If it wasn't Ayre then it doesn't really matter who our Managing director is, as long as people advising him remain the same.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Le Samourai wrote:
Art Morte wrote:

Or even better, Kuyt.

Well either one really.

Bellamy is a slightly better player, Kuyt would've been more steady and availably.Kuut I think was replaced with Borini, Bellamy was not rreally replaced at all and he was a huge part of most of the relative successes of last season,
Let's wait until we see Assaidi to judge that.

I would'v'e liked to have seen Kuyt stay, as he had the ability to effectively play CF and in the style BR likes. However, I think he was resolved to go somewhere he would get regular time. Bellamy might've been an option to do the same role, but Kuyt would've fit the criteria better. I would've preferred having Maxi as cover in the wide areas over Cole and Pacheco. Again though, the player wanted more time and a move home.

@Aggerswag: Partially greed. A deadline day f***-up should not overshadow an otherwise positive window. We were never going to go throwing money at big-name players, but we did the necessary job of offloading wages and lowering the average age of the club. We simply fell just short at the finish line thanks to mismanagement on various levels.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down