Abramovich
iNFINITY9910
Shed
Onyx
Kick
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chelsea's next captain. Empty Chelsea's next captain.

Post by Kick Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:43 am

This has probably been discussed to death but I figured I would ask anyway, who do you guys see as our future captain once JT and Lamps retire/slow down.

The candidates:
Petr Cech, obvious choice as he is the Stand in captain when Lamperry aren't playing, he is 30 now and some people believe Courtois will replace him soon, short term option, certainly, long term? Less clear.

Ivanovic, current Serbia captain and ironman impersonator, getting to his prime he is another short term solution.

Gary Cahill, former England under-21 captain and current 'John Terry replacement'. If we want an English captain, he would be the choice.

David Luiz, geezer, recently captained Brazil in two friendlies. Has helped Oscar a lot and has shown some leadershio qualities but needs to improve his english. Entertainer too.

Juan Mata, current under 23 captain and player of the year, smart guy with great English.

Other, less possible options: Bertrand, McEachran, Chalobah, Mikel, Hazard.

Who do you guys think it will be?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Chelsea's next captain. Empty Re: Chelsea's next captain.

Post by Onyx Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 am

I'd go with Cahill.

He's English and can captain the side for at least another 5 years or so.

If not Cahill, then Cech for the short term.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 am

I don't get all the hype with Luiz being the next captain. In fact, he'd be one of my LAST choices for the role. I just don't seem him at the cool-headed troop-rallyer who'll set the example for others to follow and carry the team in good times and bad.

Now, in terms of immediately after JT either retires (which is years down the line) or loses his place in the team for form, etc., my vote goes to Gary Cahill. Every time I've seen him in an interview, sit-down, etc., he has a mild-mannered, calm, gentle demeanor about him, very much in the way JT does. He's also visibly passionate and committed on the pitch, again, very much like John. All the things you want in a captain.

Now, as far as longer-term, say, 3-5 years down the line, depending on personnel of course, I'd personally like to see one of the potential youth breakthroughs get it. By that time, it's a distinct possibility that one or two of them will have worked their way into the side. And seeing as a certain 2 of the more likely players to do that (Nathaniel Chalobah and Toddy Kane) are known leaders and have either worn or are currently wearing the armband for the youth or U-21 teams, I'd like to see one of them get it (And of course, this is dependent on them actually getting into the first team). Perhaps it's just a decade of having a real blueblood in JT representing the team as its captain that's making me feel this way, but I really feel that would be the best option if possible over an 'outsider' getting it long-term.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 am

Cech is my first choice obviously. But after Cech I think Mata deserves it the most.
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 am

ShedEnd1905 wrote:I don't get all the hype with Luiz being the next captain. In fact, he'd be one of my LAST choices for the role. I just don't seem him at the cool-headed troop-rallyer who'll set the example for others to follow and carry the team in good times and bad.

Now, in terms of immediately after JT either retires (which is years down the line) or loses his place in the team for form, etc., my vote goes to Gary Cahill. Every time I've seen him in an interview, sit-down, etc., he has a mild-mannered, calm, gentle demeanor about him, very much in the way JT does. He's also visibly passionate and committed on the pitch, again, very much like John. All the things you want in a captain.

Now, as far as longer-term, say, 3-5 years down the line, depending on personnel of course, I'd personally like to see one of the potential youth breakthroughs get it. By that time, it's a distinct possibility that one or two of them will have worked their way into the side. And seeing as a certain 2 of the more likely players to do that (Nathaniel Chalobah and Toddy Kane) are known leaders and have either worn or are currently wearing the armband for the youth or U-21 teams, I'd like to see one of them get it (And of course, this is dependent on them actually getting into the first team). Perhaps it's just a decade of having a real blueblood in JT representing the team as its captain that's making me feel this way, but I really feel that would be the best option if possible over an 'outsider' getting it long-term.

I would like to refer to this article before you dismiss DL4 so easily.

None of them are going to be as good as JT, that is for certain.

However, I believe Either Juan, Gary or DL4 should get it. Petr or Bran would make good vice captains though.

Chalobah long term for sure. I don't know if Todd Kane will be a starter with Azpilicueta here.

My personal Choice would be Juan, if he could learn to be more vocal on the pitch.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Bran or Luiz, both love the club.

Seem like personalities off the field as well which is vital imo, I think Luiz would defo increase morale and all that shizzle.

Sure both of them can be hot head and go crazy especially Luiz, but I think he'll mature more.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Luiz has the characteristics of a captain, he captained our NT before but he wouldn't be a good captain for you guys since his English is crap.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:21 am

Ganso wrote:Luiz has the characteristics of a captain, he captained our NT before but he wouldn't be a good captain for you guys since his English is crap.

Only barrier I can see in him becoming captain, all the players respect him and the fans adore him.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 am

lszanto wrote:
Ganso wrote:Luiz has the characteristics of a captain, he captained our NT before but he wouldn't be a good captain for you guys since his English is crap.

Only barrier I can see in him becoming captain, all the players respect him and the fans adore him.

Maybe someone should have a quiet word to him, Juan could probably teach him.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:18 am

Kick wrote:
lszanto wrote:

If he had good English :bow: :bow: :bow:

Some people are just natural though, people like Federer and Mata just amaze me.

I remember Federer was doing interviews after a match and after finishing one in English just turns around and does another in a French Shocked
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:21 am

lszanto wrote:
Kick wrote:
lszanto wrote:

If he had good English :bow: :bow: :bow:

Some people are just natural though, people like Federer and Mata just amaze me.

I remember Federer was doing interviews after a match and after finishing one in English just turns around and does another in a French Shocked

Federer is a true legend of any sport though.

If DL4 really tried though, he could master it.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 am

The media is having a frenzy about the prospect of us making Luiz the next captain. Thoughts?
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 am

I would be for DL4 becoming captain after Terry. He has the qualities he just needs to stop the obvious.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 am

A captain is calm, collected, and mature - Luiz is the antithesis of those things
A captain is vocal - Luiz can't even speak fluent English
A captain leads by example - what Luiz does on the pitch is the last thing I'd want the team emulating
A captain, as seen with JT, is an organiser - Luiz is one of the most disorganised people in the team

He has a long way to go if he wants to think about being given that title.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebelles.REUS.rex Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm

ShedEnd1905 wrote:A captain is calm, collected, and mature - Luiz is the antithesis of those things
A captain is vocal - Luiz can't even speak fluent English
A captain leads by example - what Luiz does on the pitch is the last thing I'd want the team emulating
A captain, as seen with JT, is an organiser - Luiz is one of the most disorganised people in the team

He has a long way to go if he wants to think about being given that title.

This

Luiz is a clown and will always remain a clown in my eyes.
Rebelles.REUS.rex
Rebelles.REUS.rex
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm

its quite hard to match Terry's captaincy so I don't think its quite easy to decide our next captain+ and acknowledge him straight away
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 am

Clearly Cech, he has been carrying you guys for years :coffee:
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed May 08, 2013 2:08 am

although Luiz will always be an important part of the locker room he'll never be the captain. Over the last few seaons whenever JT has been out one of Lamps, Drogba or Cech would step in because they all have the traits shed posted earlier. From our current squad id say Cech is the pretty clear cut choice although looking at the longer term i see Ivanovic as a dark horse if he can nail down a starting spot
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 08, 2013 2:22 am

fatman123 wrote:although Luiz will always be an important part of the locker room he'll never be the captain. Over the last few seaons whenever JT has been out one of Lamps, Drogba or Cech would step in because they all have the traits shed posted earlier. From our current squad id say Cech is the pretty clear cut choice although looking at the longer term i see Ivanovic as a dark horse if he can nail down a starting spot

I agree, I think Ivanovic has been your "quiet" MVP this season. Outside of Vertoghen I couldn't name a better defender in the premier league right now than Ivanovic. The guy just always seems to be in the right place at the right time. How good is his English?
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 am

Not the best tbh. Laughing
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 am

I don't think his English is too bad, he's just got a quiet personality off the field
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 am

No but Mata's English is far better than Bran's.

I don't know if it has been posted but an interesting read on DL4 and how he is becoming a vital part of the team: Link.

"I know my personality is to be a natural leader," Luiz recently said. "I was captain at Benfica at 21, I've captained my country so I knew that, with the team's leaders of many, many years out of the side, I needed to take responsibility and try and help the young players. Players like [Eden] Hazard, a great talent and an amazing player, but someone who needs support; players like Ramires, who are more shy. I need to help them.

"I've always said my shoulders are broad and I can take on that extra responsibility. I love it. I want it."

Seems like David wants the captaincy.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncanny Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 pm

I see cech being short term, and either luiz or cahill after that, my pref is Luiz Smile
Uncanny
Uncanny
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 am

Luiz isn't consistent enough to be captain. Cahill won't be good enough until Terry is completely gone and he can finally grow in his role, but I do see him as a potential candidate.

I would go with Mata.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Thu May 09, 2013 12:43 am

Motogp69 wrote:Luiz isn't consistent enough to be captain. Cahill won't be good enough until Terry is completely gone and he can finally grow in his role, but I do see him as a potential candidate.

I would go with Mata.
Speaks well but too quiet.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum