Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 |

+5
Red Alert
Helmer
McAgger
Art Morte
Nishankly
9 posters

Go down

Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 | Empty Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 |

Post by Nishankly Tue 23 Oct 2012, 08:52

Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 | Liverpool_93X vs Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 | Anzhi_crest_93X

Venue - Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 | Anfield_Road_UEFA

Liverpool have never met the Russian side before.

Anzhi are having a strong season this year with the signings they have made, They currently sit at the top of the Russian League with 29 points from a possible 36.
With players like Bossouffa, Samba, Zhirkov, Lassana Diarra, Lacina Traore and rich man Samuel Eto'o, Anzhi Macha... could pose a threat at Anfield.
Eto'o is also their top scorer with 14 goals in 19 games.

Liverpool have also conceded 3 goals in all the group-stage games they have played.

Liverpool team news -
Lucas, Borini and Kelly are the long term concerns.
Reina plays a part in this match or Jones will be seen when the line up is out.

Expected line up based on recent Europa League meetings-

------------------Reina/Jones----------------
--Wisdom/Flanno----Carra-----Coates-----Enrique/Robbo
---------------Hendo------Allen/Sahin---------
-----Assaidi----------Shelvey----------Downing/Cole
---------------Yesil/Pacheco----------------

Hopefully we get 3 points.
YNWA
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 | Empty Re: Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 |

Post by Art Morte Tue 23 Oct 2012, 09:10

I hope Eto'o plays, would be cool to see him play at Anfield.
I don't know what to expect from this game, can probably go either way.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 | Empty Re: Liverpool vs Anzhi Mac.........a | 25th October, Thursday 20.05 BST | Europa League Group Stage Matchday 3 |

Post by McAgger Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:46

yeah I'm hoping to see Eto'o in action. Hopefully we win. I really want us to do well in Europe, maybe even win the trophy at the end.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 00:07

as I read, Diarra not playing due to knee injury, so i hope liverpool will boss the midfield and more possession also Smile
I really don't want Reina to play in this game,
Also, Morgan/Yesil should start in the front...
I hope, we will avoid those momentary sloppiness at the defence,
tough task for BR to balance the team with the derby clash in the weekend

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu 25 Oct 2012, 03:26

Reina can potentially miss out against Everton which means Jones will play, nish.

To be honest, I think this comes down to Rodgers vs Hiddink. I'm in the belief that Hiddink is one of the better coaches in the world and with all his experience, I could see him stealing the 3 points away from our inexperienced manager in Europe. Although, football isn't quite that simple.

I really am hoping the likes of Sterling, Suarez and Gerrard are rested for Everton as we all saw what happened when we played our experienced players in Europa (or was it Internationals?) and then demanded them to play against Arsenal 3-4 days later...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu 25 Oct 2012, 15:55

Spectacular preview as usual Nishy. Keep it up.

Apparently we are playing quite a strong squad as the only predicament is that despite us having the Merseyside Derby on Sunday, we also are 3rd in our group (a point behind) yet given our underrated depth we must just prevail. So here is my preferred line-up:

Jones
Flano-Carra-Coates-Enrique

Hendo-Sahin-Shelvey

Suso-Yesil-Assaidi

A relatively inexperienced and weakened line-up. Jones deserves to start literally all his games at the moment yet Reina should prepare and rest for the Derby given his experience in that. Flanagan hasn't started in god knows how long and needs some experience. Not a fan of Carra starting yet him and Coates make a solid partnership while Jose must also gain game time. Henderson has been one of our best players in the Europa League while the hungry and fit Shelvey to start alongside Sahin who was taken off early vs Reading. Suso to play an outside-right role supporting the talented Yesil while Assaidi provides the flair on the left.

Anzhi btw, are atop the Russian League ahead of 2 points so I wouldn't be surprised NOR disappointed if we fielded our absolute best line-up.

The obvious threat here is Samuel Eto as our back line will need to do their best to mark him out.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Thu 25 Oct 2012, 19:45

If we loose that might be good bye to EL. What some might say, progressing in EL will be a boost not only for the team but specially for young players.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 19:53

Liverpool: Jones, Johnson, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Sahin, Shelvey, Gerrard, Assaidi, Downing, Suarez.

LFC subs: Gulacsi, Henderson, Carragher, Allen, Sterling, Suso, Yesil.
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu 25 Oct 2012, 20:22

We are starting nearly all our best players affraid

I guess it's good news as long as we won't suffer from fatigue in the Merseyside derby on Sunday...
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu 25 Oct 2012, 20:56

I'm so glad BR is taking this comp seriously Especially at home we need to get the points from Anzhi so.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu 25 Oct 2012, 21:03

Also Gerrard has never lost a match against Eto'o
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu 25 Oct 2012, 21:55

HT

Assaidi is having a monster game. He can really hurt teams in the PL if given the chance. I wonder what keeps BR from choosing him hmm
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu 25 Oct 2012, 22:02

Otherwise a good half of football from us, but we need to work their keeper more. Suarez has been poor, keeps losing the ball.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu 25 Oct 2012, 23:01

FT 1 - 0

Good result but again we needed to score more when we were in control. Anzhi had a fine second half and could have equalised.

And probably the worst game I've seen Suarez have in a Liverpool shirt.

But top of the table, good to continue from here.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu 25 Oct 2012, 23:14

Thought there were some bad decision making and also some bad touches when we reached into the final third.

Thank god we got the 3 points. Sahin, Agger and Skrtel were excellent.
Suarez was horrible needs to pass it more.
Another clean sheet, Please play Jones every week. Razz

Also was that Agger goal legit?

Time to prepare ourselves mentally for the Merseyside derby.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu 25 Oct 2012, 23:22

Three wins in a row for Rodgers. The latest one coming against the top side in Russia led by Guus Hiddink. Mighty impressive.

I'm glad BR chose a strong squad as he followed the footsteps of Kenny to take this comp. seriously.

Excellent first half as we controlled large parts of the game with many great individual performances. Bevy of clear cut chances which weren't finished but we know its a great sign nonetheless vs a strong side.

2nd half not so much as we kept on using the flanks for some reason and once again did not keep possession when we actually needed to since Anzhi looked dangerous on the counter. BR must address possession issues in crucial times as well as less hoofing under pressure.

Jones continued his resolute form with a commanding performance as GK. I just love the way he intercepts shots and crosses as barely anything bothers him. Really wouldn't mind if he starts of Pepe. Wisdom has a shaky performance and didn't offer much in attack although solid in defence. Skrtel and Agger with another immaculate performance yet again especially Dagger. Agger's night was summed up one moment where Anzhi player surrounded him, where he showed such composure and grace. He didn't hoof it out but outmanoeuvred them while playing 1-2s to get out of the tight situation. Johnson was beaten many times on the left but was decent going down the left but an overall underwhelming performance. Rodgers has made a brilliant tactical move to put Downing as LB where he has shown some defensive skill. The move is brilliant because in the LB position he will be afforded more space and can play according to his own direct crossing game and overlap well as he did with Assaidi. Sahin was tidy and neat yet again if not quiet but then again we played through the flanks so much it was hard to be involved. I want to see him demand more of the ball and get forward. Gerrard was his usual risky self as although his missed a few chances and passes here, he stamped his authority in the right moments in defence and brought the ball forward. Shelvey was poor on an overall basis despite one magical cross to Gerrard. He really needs to work on his touch. Sterling brought on helped to hold the ball and create counters as although he showed confidence he held the ball too much and overdid some of his dribbling, though a impressive outing. Suarez was everywhere in the first half but had an invisible 2nd as his frustration from not scoring tends to demotivate him at times as its an uncharacteristic performance from him. Assaidi had to be our MOTM. This man has such brilliant control and touch that its a wonder why BR doesn't start him. He is an intelligent winger who knows where and when to pass and finally took some initiative towards the goal which is positive. He reminds me of a more intelligent, less predictable and more two-footed version of Adam Johnson. Constantly a pain towards the left flank. Brilliant stuff.

Notes:

-Downing as LB can work despite not being too tested on his defence. This can be a great alternative especially given my point explained on how this role can also suit him in attack. The fact that he scored a world class goal with his weaker foot is very encouraging.

-Skrtel and Agger partnership lived up to Reina's Carra-Hyppia hype today as they completely marked out E'to.

- Henderson needs more game time as I would have started him over Shelvey or at least brought him on instead of Allen.

-Assaidi needs to start.

-Rodgers showing some serious tactical flexibility. The fans singing his name is MASSIVE for his confidence as he has yearned for that. Anfield also was brilliant today after a long time.

-We are finally gaining momentum despite some glaring issues as I cannot help but be excited to what awaits us in the future. BR is consistently showing he is more then just a possession loving manager. His tactical nous is really shining. Outdid Hiddink.

-Top of the table 1 point ahead of Udine and Anzhi. Not bad.

-2nd straight clean sheet.

-Agger's goal was legit. Poking it if its on only one hand is legitimate as the refereeing was shocking today. An absolute genius move by Agger also with the brilliant finish. A goal for me.

-Merseyside derby will be BR's biggest test yet. Nish, this preview's on you.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri 26 Oct 2012, 01:17

"12.16 GOALKEEPER POSSESSION OF THE BALL
The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when the ball is held with both hands, held by trapping the ball between one hand and any surface (e.g., the ground, a goalpost, the goalkeeper’s body), or holding the ball in the outstretched open palm. Once established, possession is maintained, when the ball is held as described above, while bouncing the ball on the ground or throwing it into the air. Possession is given up if, after throwing the ball into the air, it is allowed to hit the ground. For purposes of determining goalkeeper possession, the “handling” includes contact with any part of the goalkeeper’s arm from the fingertips to the shoulder.

While the ball is in the possession of the goalkeeper, it may not be challenged for or played by an opponent in any manner. An opponent who attempts to challenge for a ball in the possession of the goalkeeper may be considered to have committed a direct free kick foul. However, a ball which is only being controlled by the goalkeeper using means other than the hands is open to otherwise legal challenges by an opponent. The referee should consider the age and skill level of the players in evaluating goalkeeper possession and err on the side of safety."

Sadly, the call was correct. Still a class shot by Agger.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri 26 Oct 2012, 07:52

Arq, agree with a lot of your points but I can see Skrtel and Agger being more like Hyypia Henchoz than Hyypia Carragher.

Whilst Carragher was a great defender, he never had the ability that Skrtel or Agger possess - he just had the passion that made him perform week in week out. The persistance in his hard work and extra effort is what made his career imo.

Great achievement for Rodgers to get one over Hiddink, although it's going to be a lot harder in Russia. Top of the league and we have some momentum going into the Everton game. Really hoping the likes of Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez are not fatigued come derby day.

Whilst Downing's goal was great, he still is pretty much useless on the wing for us. His goal pretty much came up because he had extra space to move onto. He doesn't have the ability of the likes of Sterling, Suso and to an extent, Assaidi to work in tight spaces nor can he put the opposition on the back foot. Still personally see him sold in the winter, unless he pretty much adapts to a LB role. Even then, I prefer Jack Robinson.

That's sounds very harsh but he for me, doesn't justify what a Liverpool player stands for. Having a decent moment in one game isn't good enough for me. I'm sure people are going to say give him a chance and he'll be more consistent but you'll all be dissapointed.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri 26 Oct 2012, 08:10

Agreed ynwa on Downing. Having one decent game every 10 games doesn't justify him wearing the Liverpool shirt. The longer we wait to offload him, the less his value will get. Useless player.

Although, of Downings 4 goals he has scored for us, 3 have won us the matches Laughing
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:19

ynwa wrote:Arq, agree with a lot of your points but I can see Skrtel and Agger being more like Hyypia Henchoz than Hyypia Carragher.

Whilst Carragher was a great defender, he never had the ability that Skrtel or Agger possess - he just had the passion that made him perform week in week out. The persistance in his hard work and extra effort is what made his career imo.

Great achievement for Rodgers to get one over Hiddink, although it's going to be a lot harder in Russia. Top of the league and we have some momentum going into the Everton game. Really hoping the likes of Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez are not fatigued come derby day.

Whilst Downing's goal was great, he still is pretty much useless on the wing for us. His goal pretty much came up because he had extra space to move onto. He doesn't have the ability of the likes of Sterling, Suso and to an extent, Assaidi to work in tight spaces nor can he put the opposition on the back foot. Still personally see him sold in the winter, unless he pretty much adapts to a LB role. Even then, I prefer Jack Robinson.

That's sounds very harsh but he for me, doesn't justify what a Liverpool player stands for. Having a decent moment in one game isn't good enough for me. I'm sure people are going to say give him a chance and he'll be more consistent but you'll all be dissapointed.

Great post YNWA.

My point on Skrtel-Agger was the emphasise the importance of their partnership and how vital they come within the moment of dire need. Of course, the Carra-Hyypia was completely different in characteristics as Skrtel-Agger reminds me in many ways on just the sheer chemistry and the integrity of their defensive partnership.

Downing? No no I never said he can be a regular or a starting LB. I'm simply trying to find a positive light in a player who I have criticized to no end. My point is to praise Rodger's for a move in which Downing will not be wasting our time disappearing on the front end, but in a position which can suit his own natural game as well as the factor that he may just be defensively astute (highly unlikely though).

Downing has to do a lot more then this yet I see him as part of the Europa LeaguIe Squad or at least an emergency back-up. Personally I want us to bank on selling him in January.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri 26 Oct 2012, 21:22

I don't think anyone (at least in this forum) is saying this goal justifies Downing's time at LFC. Still want to see him gone. Just nice to see him contributing at all.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri 26 Oct 2012, 21:43

It wasa top gesture by Rodgers to take Downing by the KOP to get his plaudits after the game. Maybe it'll boost his confidence and we'll some contribution before we sell him
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down