Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players?

+11
free_cat
BarrileteCosmico
The Franchise
BarcaKizz
Onyx
FennecFox7
Luca
juventus101
rwo power
Donuts
arjun.123
15 posters

Go down

Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players? Empty Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players?

Post by arjun.123 Sat 01 Dec 2012, 07:36

Short players are often criticised for not having aerial threat but I think they rather have an advantage over tall players because they have a low center of gravity which allows them to be closer to the ball and control it easily. Discuss?
arjun.123
arjun.123
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players? Empty Re: Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players?

Post by Donuts Sat 01 Dec 2012, 08:10

Idk but...
Diego Maradona - 5'5
Lionel Messi - 5'7
Pele - 5'8
'nuff said.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players? Empty Re: Do short-heighted players have an advantage over tall players?

Post by rwo power Sat 01 Dec 2012, 09:40

It depends on the position and style of play. In goal and center defense, taller players usually have an advantage. In positions where speed and agility is necessary, shorter players might be better off. If you want to head balls, some more centimeters might be not so bad, either.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sat 01 Dec 2012, 14:27

Messi, Marin, Podolski, Miccoli, Cazorla, Pirlo, Iniesta, Giovinco, Del Piero, etc are current examples of.short players with excellent ball control. I believe Gotze, Silva, and Rinery are short too but im not sure.

Baggio, Pele, and just a few examples of past legends with excellent ball control that were short.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat 01 Dec 2012, 22:45

No, not an advantage, not a definitive one anyways
There just happens to be a lot of smaller players that are gifted

However, there have been taller players with a magical touch too.. Zidane, Rivaldo, Platini

Taller players also have a longer stride with the ball, take Yaya Toure driving through the midfield as an example

It just comes down to style, shorter players can turn quicker, that change of direction but taller players have that long stride which is difficult to defend against as well

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun 02 Dec 2012, 02:48

Donuts wrote:Idk but...
Diego Maradona - 5'5
Lionel Messi - 5'7
Pele - 5'8
'nuff said.
pele is 5'9, which is average height. Nothing short about that.

Cryuff, one of the greats, is 6'ft, or 5'11 and a half.
Zidane who is 6'1 had breath taking technique.
Ibra is arguably just behind messi and ronaldo, and one of his main strengths is ball control and dribbling. His height? 6'5.

Also, shorter players have less of a presence and ARE generally not as strong.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sun 02 Dec 2012, 03:34

Giggity5313 wrote:
Donuts wrote:Idk but...
Diego Maradona - 5'5
Lionel Messi - 5'7
Pele - 5'8
'nuff said.
pele is 5'9, which is average height. Nothing short about that.
http://www.celebheights.com/s/-Pele-3252.html
http://www.pitara.com/magazine/people/online.asp?story=1
Every article/biography says 172cm
those two links were the first google searches feel free to prove me otherwise with anything other then your opinion.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun 02 Dec 2012, 05:36

Top teams who want to play good football shouldn't worry about aerial threat. In fact it should be one of the last things they look for in a player. Good technique, vision, dribbling, agility etc etc should be the most important.

And it's usually the shorter players who possess those abilities. However there are taller players too.

Tall = 6ft and over?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Wed 05 Dec 2012, 04:09

Height is overrated. Don't think it matters too much whether you're tall or small. I think if you're at one of the extremes it can be a disadvantage eg. Crouch and Piatti are severely limited.

Messi etc have found a way to make their physique work for them but they aren't good because they're small. As said, there have been plenty of players over 6ft with super technique and dribbling.

Personally, I'm 6"2' but still as fast as smaller players. Technique is probably my strength as well. One thing I'll note is that I'm not as explosive or quick off the make as I'd be if I were a bit shorter.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed 05 Dec 2012, 04:18

Doesnt make a lick of difference.

Touch, control and things like these are skills. Skills are learnt and improved through hard work, good coaching and intelligence.

Low center of gravity? Yes. But if you dont have fundamental good skills you arent getting past anyone regardless of how small you are.

Generally speaking, shorter players have shorter stride lengths (depends on leg length more than overall height but its very rare someone is 5'4 with the leg length of someone 6'0) and therefore have the possibility of having quick acceleration (time it takes to reach top speed) all things being equal, but they are never equal so it doesnt matter anyway.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed 05 Dec 2012, 06:53

You could make the same argument about left-footed players. Nearly every GOAT forward was left-footed. Messi, Puskas, Rivellino, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano... for a segment that represents just 10% of the general population they sure have a presence.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:22

Di Stefano and Cruyff were right footed.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:45

BarrileteCosmico wrote:You could make the same argument about left-footed players. Nearly every GOAT forward was left-footed. Messi, Puskas, Rivellino, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano... for a segment that represents just 10% of the general population they sure have a presence.

Is Messi left handed too ?
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:59

BarrileteCosmico wrote:You could make the same argument about left-footed players. Nearly every GOAT forward was left-footed. Messi, Puskas, Rivellino, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano... for a segment that represents just 10% of the general population they sure have a presence.

Cruyff and Di Stefano were right footed :facepalm:
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed 05 Dec 2012, 16:25

"I was right-footed, so my father didn't let me play unless I would shoot the ball with my left foot." Di Stéfano.

He was naturally right footed but his left footed shots would have deceived anyone tbf
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed 05 Dec 2012, 16:56

It seems I was fooled, my bad. Still sustain that they're very over represented for a segment that represents 10% of the general population.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 01:06

BTW, not as many players are short as you think.

5'9, even 5'8 and up is by no means "midget" short.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Thu 06 Dec 2012, 01:23

having a low center of gravity does play a role imo. you will never see players like crouch have the same control over the ball as does cazorla, messi, or mata.

that is not to say that its impossible for taller players to have good ball control, but shorter players will ALWAYS have the initial advantage as they have that lower center of gravity which allows them to have quicker touches closer to the ball.

there are 2 major factors in ball control (dribbling really) skill with touch and center of gravity.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Thu 06 Dec 2012, 01:23

Pedram wrote:

Is Messi left handed too ?
Messi is Right handed, if you see any autograph videos he signs with his right or draws with his right *the commercials for television etc*
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Thu 06 Dec 2012, 03:16

Giggity5313 wrote:BTW, not as many players are short as you think.

5'9, even 5'8 and up is by no means "midget" short.
So 5'8 is not a midget but you call Messi, who is just one inch below, a midget? I'd understand Maradona but lol?
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 01:44

messi is 5'6 1/2. That's getting there for sure.
http://www.celebheights.com/s/Lionel-Messi-47593.html
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat 08 Dec 2012, 01:54

Giggity5313 wrote:messi is 5'6 1/2. That's getting there for sure.
http://www.celebheights.com/s/Lionel-Messi-47593.html

In humans, dwarfism is sometimes defined as an adult height of less than 147 cm (58 inches)

So, under 5 feet would be considered a 'midget' which Messi is comfortably above....

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down