DeletedUser#1
Rev
scotladd
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kit Numbers Empty Kit Numbers

Post by scotladd Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:21

In baseball there are a few numbers that are well known, though the numbers are "retired" so no one uses them (ruths #3, robinsons #43 etc.). In football there seem to be similar pratices. The number 7 seems to have some historical significance, and I heard messi referred to the other day as "the consumate number 10". I take it these are in reference to former greats. Not knowing alot of Football history, who are these numbers used by? Are certain positions relegated to using only certain number sets like in American Football?
scotladd
scotladd
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Kit Numbers Empty Re: Kit Numbers

Post by Rev Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:28

None of them are mandatory, if a Goalkeeper wants the #10 shirt and nobody on the team has a problem with it he can wear it.

But there are certain numbers which are associated with positions like:

#1 Goalkeeper
#7 Winger
#9 Striker/Forward
#10 Playmaker/Supporting striker/Trequartista etc.

Hope it helps somehow. scratch Thumbs up
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:38

I read Terry has asked Chelsea to retire #8 if Lampard leaves. Not too sure about that.

I know Milan have retired Maldini's 3, and Baresi's 6....but is there any other example in top football ?

I also remember clubs of those players who lost their lives on the pitch in early 2000s retiring their numbers (Miklos Feher 24 Benfica if I ain't mistaken)

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:47

Numbers usually tell what position each player is playing on. 1-5 Gk-defenders, 6-20- midfielders, and theres the numbers of 7,9, 20 etc for forwards.

Last edited by The xcx on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:54; edited 2 times in total
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:51

There used to be significance to the numbers because of the role on the pitch they represented, not because of which players wore them.

It used to be a common practice to number the players from 1-11, starting from the goalkeeper and eventually working up to the strikers. This was done when formations were 2-3-5 and the "WM" (3-2-2-3 if you want to give it a numerical connotation).

So for example:

2 --- 3

4 --- 5 --- 6

7 --- 8 --- 9 --- 10 --- 11

The "WM" dropped the "5", "8" and "10" back, so:

2 --- 5 --- 3

4 --- 6

8 --- 10

7 --- 9 --- 11

Back then, it was mandatory for certain positions to have certain numbers, but since then any player is allowed any number.

As you can see in the diagrams, the central striker was always no. 9, so traditionally, a central striker has always been referred to as a "no. 9" or just "9". These guys were poacher-like strikers; they only looked to score goals. A modern day example is Radamel Falcao.

A "no. 10" was always the player who played behind the striker, initially as an "inside forward", then later on as an attacking midfielder or trequartista (Italian term that referred to players who played in the third quarter or the pitch). These are the creative playmakers or supporting strikers. Francesco Totti, for example.

A lot of wingers nowadays where "7" and "8", first choice keepers where "1", most fullbacks are "2" and "3". It's basically tradition.

As as I said earlier though, it's not the rule any more. Nowadays, you get centre backs wearing "10". You get players wearing numbers significant to them, like their date of birth or the amount of money they're earning (caughBendtnercaugh).

Certain numbers hold significance at certain clubs because they were worn by legendary players. At Arsenal, for example, the "6", "10" and "14" numbers are considered legendary because they were worn by Tony Adams, Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry, respectively.

Hope that isn't too much information.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:54

Harry Redknapp wrote:I read Terry has asked Chelsea to retire #8 if Lampard leaves. Not too sure about that.

I know Milan have retired Maldini's 3, and Baresi's 6....but is there any other example in top football ?

I also remember clubs of those players who lost their lives on the pitch in early 2000s retiring their numbers (Miklos Feher 24 Benfica if I ain't mistaken)

It was the #29. Nonetheless a great gesture of you to remember Miki. Sad
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 22:04

Sevilla wanted to retire to the no. 16 shirt in honour of Antonio Puerta, but weren't allowed to due to regulations stating that registered squad members must where numbers 1-25.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri 04 Jan 2013, 22:06

Roma retired no 6 for Aldair
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat 05 Jan 2013, 01:06

Has anyone seen a player apart from the keeper wearing the No. 1 jersey?
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 02:11

Not really, but as said before theres certain numbers associated with certain positions.

#1: Keepers.

#2-5: Defenders.

#7 & 11: Attacking midfielders/Wingers.

#10: Trequartistas/Second Strikers.

#9: Center Forwards.

#40+: Rebels.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat 05 Jan 2013, 02:25

1-11 for starting positions, I believe #12 is supposed to be the back up goalkeeper (although there are obvious exceptions)

What I like about football is that players may prefer to wear number 7, but when it's taken they'll where 16 or 25 (if you add the numbers together it equals 7)- I just find that interesting

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sat 05 Jan 2013, 02:31

johan cruyff's number 14 is pretty historic.. only ajax number to ever be retired

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat 05 Jan 2013, 02:52

Since two or so seasons, in the Bundesliga only the numbers 1-40 are allowed. Only a handful of players who chose their numbers before that decision (like Bayern's Anatoly Tymoshchuk who wears the 44) were allowed to keep their numbers for the time being.

As for Nr.7 - Even though he only played at Schalke for 2 seasons, Schalke considered temporarily retiring the Nr.7 in honour of Raúl.

IIRC, currently in the FIFA World Cup and UEFA Euro, the Nr.1 is mandatorily the number of the first Goalkeeper. I think in 1974 this wasn't the case yet, and as the Dutch FA gave the numbers according to alphabet, their GK had the number 8. (I hope I recall that correctly from memory - only Cruijff was exempt from the alphabet, though XD)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by scotladd Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:27

GoonerJay29 wrote:

As you can see in the diagrams, the central striker was always no. 9, so traditionally, a central striker has always been referred to as a "no. 9" or just "9". These guys were poacher-like strikers; they only looked to score goals. A modern day example is Radamel Falcao.

So I assume the term I keep hearing ...something about "false 9" refers to this?
scotladd
scotladd
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:36

scotladd wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:

So I assume the term I keep hearing ...something about "false 9" refers to this?

Precisely. It's a player who seemingly lines up in the spot occupied by a number 9 (the central striker) but acts differently than you'd expect (falls deep to collect the ball and plays in his teammates instead of occupying the space near the goal waiting for service to score).
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:37

Pretty much what everyone has said, i'd just like to add in accordance to your original question that #10 is a very important number in Latin America, its almost always given to the attacking midfielder (enganche, trequartista) but many times the most technical player also wears it. Diego Maradona and Pele used the number 10 so its almost sacred around here.

#7 is also reserved for very special players in Manchester United, you have to prove your worth before wearing that number. Its also special in Real Madrid.

Other than that its worth mentioning that numbers 1-11 are usually reserved for starters and star players. Second choice goalkeepers almost always wears #12 and other positions such as second choice wingers and strikers commonly wear #17, #18 or #19.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:03

I just found a pic of Jan Jongbloed (Dutch NT) with the highly unusual number 8:

Kit Numbers Jan-jo10
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:35

while we are talking about unconventional numbers how about this n. 10

Kit Numbers 2ihug74

bottom of the team sheet destroyer type DM headless chicken.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by scotladd Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:39

vanDEEZ wrote:

Ok, on a side note, I have no idea what this means lol.

I think it means:

(bottom of the team sheet) Worst guy on the team

(destroyer type) striker?

(DM) umm..no clue

(headless chicken) I saw ronaldo referred to as a headless chicken. maybe it means...crazy striker?

I wish there was a wiki for football slang lol. Still learning:)
scotladd
scotladd
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:56

scotladd wrote:
vanDEEZ wrote:

I think it means:

(DM) umm..no clue

(headless chicken) I saw ronaldo referred to as a headless chicken. maybe it means...crazy striker?

dm = defensive midfielder
destroyer type dm = very defensive midfielder who plays physically in front of the defense to break up the other teams attacks, generally also means he has no attacking duties.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:57

The #12 does have special significance as some clubs, such as Bayern, have retired as it is a number reserved for the fans who are seen as the 12th man on the pitch for their side.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat 05 Jan 2013, 05:05

stevieg8 wrote:
scotladd wrote:
vanDEEZ wrote:

I think it means:

(DM) umm..no clue

dm = defensive midfielder
destroyer type dm = very defensive midfielder who plays physically in front of the defense to break up the other teams attacks, generally also means he has no attacking duties.
To add to this, "headless chicken" means that the player in incapable of adhering to tactics and discipline and basically roams where they want to. The "headless chicken" typically makes unnecessary, foolish (and often violent) tackles and risky passes, almost always to the detriment of their team. "Loose cannon" is another way of saying it.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by scotladd Sat 05 Jan 2013, 05:06

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
To add to this, "headless chicken" means that the player in incapable of adhering to tactics and discipline and basically roams where they want to. The "headless chicken" typically makes unnecessary, foolish (and often violent) tackles and risky passes, almost always to the detriment of their team. "Loose cannon" is another way of saying it.

Ah, ok now I understand the picture.
scotladd
scotladd
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat 05 Jan 2013, 06:49

Number 12 and 13 are the two most common back up goalkeeper numbers...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:56

The Sanchez wrote:Number 12 and 13 are the two most common back up goalkeeper numbers...
In Germany, I can't remember a GK with a 13. I think 23 would more often be seen, especially if you have an NT where you can only call up 23 players.

Schalke's GKs had the numbers 1, 34, 35 and 36 in the last season, BTW Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next