The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion

3 posters

Go down

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Empty The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion

Post by Xifio Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 am

I think anyone who watches PSG knows the issue of player role incompatibility is a real one, that needs to be dealt with ... defensively, a back four offers little to no complication; but from there on, it is permutations galore ...

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Xifiotalkoddman1

where:
{...........} = Ménez, Lavezzi, Lucas
[...........] = Thiago Motta, Chantôme, etc.

with the return of Thiago Motta, and to accomodate 2 wingers and a CAM, the odd man out in this setup is actually Marco Verratti ... so he's left out without a second thought ... problem is, there is another odd man out: yes, Javier Pastore ...

Zlatan is a neuf et demi -- i.e. a #9.5; a #9 who's half way to being a #10, but is still a striker at heart ... so he likes to drift and drop ... drifting is fine, with wing forwards who themselves like to drift in ... but dropping becomes a problem, as highlighted on the illustration ... I enjoyed watching Javier Pastore in Serie A; but it must be recognized that JP is reluctant to drift, and so inevitably has his space cramped by Zlatan, who naturally imposes himself onto a space as he wishes ... it's not going to work ... leaving out the creative deeplying playmaker Verratti for an incompatible advanced playmaker makes no sense ... the tactic needs to change ...

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Xifiotalkoddman2

with a 4-5-1, there aren't two odd men out (Pastore and Verratti), just one (Pastore) ... this tactic accomodates Zlatan's creative traits, and affords him that space in the hole, while not cramping anyone else ...

I was wondering in the Transfers thread who I'd prefer between Cristiano Ronaldo and Coco Benzema; I think the choice is obvious ...

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Xifiotalkoddman3

that said, accommodating Benzema would actually make the archaic 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) Carletto has used in recent times a possible "best use of resources" scenario ...

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Xifiotalkoddman4

it's not a bad setup, but it would leave Verratti as the odd man out, which makes it [for me] not as impressive as the 4-5-1 ...

I personally think it is clear that the 4-5-1 setup is what needs to be considered when Leonardo & Co. go out to make purchases ... as it turns out, the one Jan purchase (Lucas) fits into such a system beautifully ... long may such transfers continue ...
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Empty Re: The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't think Verrati has any issues on the attacking front. He can play closer to the forwards or play deep... it doesn't matter much. The issue with him is that he is error prone on defense. He makes bad tackling and dribbling decisions in dangerous areas. That's why he has been benched. With Motta on a suspension, he gets his chance to show that he's improved those things.

As for the formation, i think a 442 or 4411 is perfect for Ibra. You have Lavezzi/Maxwell attack the left and Lucas/Jallet the right.... Menez can roam to wherever he's needed the most and link up with Ibra.

We have so many creative players that i don't think you need to have someone be the AM.... you can spread that responsibility around. This gives you the most flexibility.

I also feel that Matuidi is the perfect player for this group of PSG players. He recovers balls tirelessly and will attack the box if you ignore him.

I think we have a great squad other than a fullback. I'd love for us to go get Coentrao and call it a day.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Empty Re: The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion

Post by Xifio Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 am

hah, I think you're being harsh on young Marco ... he is just a little naïve, not error prone ... his tackling is often incredible, just like his close control ... which is on full display, along with his technique, vision, decision making, and pass execution when he evades opposition players at close quarters, in what seem to be dangerous areas ... I endorse his style fully Thumbs up ...

I couldn't agree with you more about Blaise ... what an incredible fellow ... I hope you noticed that in all my diagrams, Matuidi's name was clearly displayed Smile ... if not for Zlatan's goal and assist tally, he'd be player of the season so far for PSG ...

and lastly, on the 4-4-2: not a fan of what I consider an outdated formation ... the only major team that uses this formation is Srallex's Man Utd, and their type of play is so unimpressive and underwhelming for such a big club ... effective, no doubt, but wholly unimpressive, bordering on nauseous ... plus, no one at PSG sold their soul like Srallex did for notching goals between minutes 80 and 95 ...
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:54 am

Saf's version is not sexy because the midfields are average or just above average now and he uses pure wingers like Young, Valencia, Nani and Giggs. Only 2 creative guys are Rooney and RVP. The version PSG is currently employing, there are a lot of creative players and they have the freedom to cut inside. Also, ibra has the liberty to dezone and then you have other guys diving into the box. Saf likes wingers to stay wide and rain crosses.... only our fullbacks do that, which is how it's supposed to be.

Madrid has just moved to some kind of 442 with alonso, khedira, modric and ozil as the mids and cr7 and benz as the strikers.

Arsenal may very well go in that direction with diaby back. diaby, wilshere, arteta, cazorla.

i feel you need to adapt your system to your roster and not vice versa.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Xifio Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 am

I know what you're saying, and normally you'd be right ...

but PSG isn't normal ... they have access to the ideal scenario: the ability to set a philosophical vision, handpick a manager to detail a few select systems to bring that vision onto the pitch, and then assemble a fantasy squad to deliver it in the short term, while growing a youth squad and an academy to deliver it in the long term ...

it's why I wanted to discuss tactics in here ... both actual (current squad), and theoretical (potential squad) ...
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Salvatore Sirigu has not conceded a goal in Ligue 1 in his last 686 minutes of play. Wall.

Thiagoat keeping the defense calm :bow:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Xifio Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 pm

so, now that Dave Beckman has joined: 3-man midfield, anyone? Very Happy

The Odd Man Out - a tactical discussion Xifiotalkoddman2

I realize he wouldn't be a regular starter, and I realize the team's moved away from a 3-man midfield in recent matches, but would Carletto really risk playing Becks in a two-man midfield? does Beckham have the legs to play on the wing?
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Xifio Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Marco Verratti is just amazing! to have ridiculous vision is one thing; but to play at the speed of thought is sublime ... cheers

and my love for Matuidi continues to grow -- only someone with bionic stamina and tactical acumen to match could prove me wrong about Verratti in a 2-man midfield, and I am so glad Blaise has ...
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum