Arsenal Vs Stoke Gun__1359731201_monreal_training

Arsenal Vs Stoke
Saturday 2nd Feb 15:00 BST Kick Off
Emirates Stadium
Referee: Chris Foy not Hoy

Arsenal - 6th in the PL with 38 points
Stoke - 10th in the PL with 30 points

A crispy January but still not enough cheese

Nacho Monreal is the talk of the town at the moment. A player who no one speculated about all January became our only signing yesterday and how are we glad he was signed since the reports this morning suggest Gibbs will be out for 2 months. This does throw Monreal right in the middle of the war but with the amount of experience he has, it would be easy for him to adapt. However despite the fact we did sign a defender, many still propose a hint of skepticism whether we have enough depth in certain roles for example upfront and Defensive Midfield. Judging by our recent games and this season, Arsene has given up on an orthodox defensive midfielder. At first it was Arteta and he has been doing a marvelous job and now for the last 3 games, Ramsey has taken over. It doesn't necessary means We will never sign someone like capoue but i don't think we will under Arsene. But if it works out this way, then we don't need to.

The 2nd issue with the current squad is the lack of depth upfront. Arsene hinted that he tried hard to sign Villa but barcelona refused to sell him. Therefore it says that Arsene is aware of it but it also shows that it was a bit of a poor thinking to not have a backup to Villa. Our 3 strikers all play at the same time while our 4th "striker" is at the AFCON. Benik Afobe has indeed returned from Bolton so that's something but it is yet to see if Arsene trusts him or will he send him on a 2nd spell of loan somewhere else.

A stoke saturday

The country's least liked team will be visiting us tomorrow. I may have pulled that fact out of my hat but they are certainly Arsenal's least liked team. Arsenal host Stoke in a game which should be 3 points for us really but we all know how organised they are and how pumped up they are when they face us. But despite that, we have done generally well against them at home and tomorrow should not be any different. Although the problem is as always our inconsistency and with the team playing their 4th game in 13 days, it will be more about staying sharp and take our chances than a stroll in the park. Most probably we will have to break down their defence and that might take us all day depending which arsenal shows up. All eyes will be on Monreal who will be looking to impress us on his debut (if he starts that is).

Injury News

Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs is out for up to six weeks with a thigh injury, but new signing Nacho Monreal is available to replace him at left-back.
Francis Coquelin is also ruled out, while Thomas Vermaelen is doubtful, but Mikel Arteta may return after a calf problem.

Neither of Stoke's deadline-day signings will be involved.

Brek Shea is recovering from a foot operation, while Jack Butland has been loaned back to Birmingham. The Potters have no new injury problems. Full-back Marc Wilson, who has been out since October with a broken leg, hopes to make his comeback for the reserves next week.

Probable teams (credit to "YouAreMyArsenal")

Arsenal Vs Stoke Proxy

Although i have a feeling we might see Koscielny instead of Vermaelen. Would be a shame to see Ramsey benched after his recent performances but Arteta is a superior player and should start. Hopefully Afobe makes the bench.

Match Facts (BBC)

Head-to-head

• Arsenal have won their last 10 home games against Stoke in all competitions.
  • The Potters' last win away to the Gunners was a 1-0 victory at Highbury on 29 August 1981.

Arsenal

• Opta statistics show that Arsenal have made more errors leading directly to a goal than any other team in the Premier League this season (13).
  • There have been 50 Premier League goals scored at the Emirates Stadium this season - more than at any other ground.
  • If games began in the second half, Arsenal would be second in the table with 46 points, two points behind Manchester City.

Stoke City

• Stoke have taken 30 points from their opening 24 Premier League matches - exactly the same tally they managed in the previous three seasons. The only Premier League season in which they didn't have 30 points after 24 games was in 2008-09, when they had 24 points.
  • The Potters have been involved in a Premier League-high five goalless draws this season.
  • They have conceded 15 goals in their last five league games, compared to just 14 in their other 19 top-flight matches this season.

Final Thoughts

Lets Crush them!!!
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal Vs Stoke Empty Re: Arsenal Vs Stoke

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Stoke are terribly off-form

on Oatcake they are cursing Pulis

5-0 Arsenal

Giroud (2), Wilshere, Walcott, Podolski

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Great Work RG Thumbs up

I can't wait to see Nacho play!.. Im predicting him to pick up an assist in his first appearance!...But Im also kinda disappointed that I won't get to see Brek Shea and watch him debut in the PL.. But I guess the less quality available to them the better Twisted Evil
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 pm

I would love for us to have a quick start for once, but as we played a mid-week game I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

If our attack clicks, it would be great to stick a few past this lot. Stoke will make it tough because they're a ridiculously plucky side with some strong players that won't be bullied by Giroud, but if we play with the same pace and penetration we have been then I can't see Stoke being able to cope with it, given the lack of pace in their defence.

I expect a lot of possession but not much penetration in the first half, and then a much better second half, as has been the way this season. We'll probably concede a set-piece, too. It's practically a guarantee whenever we play Stoke.

I'd like to see Ramsey play over Arteta, as I feel we don't need to rush Arteta back and I would like for Ramsey just to have a good game; banish some demons and all that.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:24 pm

No Cazorla in the training pics or did i miss him somewhere?

We might see Ramsey-Arteta-Wilshere tomorrow if Santi is sick or something
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:Stoke are terribly off-form

on Oatcake they are cursing Pulis

5-0 Arsenal

Giroud (2), Wilshere, Walcott, Podolski

They have been for a while, if Arsenal can beat them and we can actually win i think we can catch them Laughing

When did Stoke start playing 3-5-2 btw?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 pm

It's more of a 7-1-2
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 pm

LMAO Laughing true hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 am

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen Monreal
Ramsey Diaby
Walcott Wilshere Poldi/Caz
Giroud

Bench: Mannone, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Arteta, Santos, Ox, Cazorla/Podolski

I believe Wilshere can do a better job at AM against Stoke rather than Cazorla as he'll trouble them heavily with his dribbling, change of direction and pace while Cazorla is more the passing guy and could do a better job on the left. Wouldn't mind either Cazorla or Podolski at LW, would rest the one that needs it more.

Walcott as a striker would not be a great idea against Stoke's narrow defending so Giroud obvious choice at the striker's position while Walcott can stretch their defence wide on the right.

Diaby because we can do with some physical presence in the middle of the pitch and Ramsey because he's been playing like a boss in the last 3 games.

Vermaelen and Merte instead of Koscielny again because both are more physical defenders, just hoping that for once Vermaelen doesn't disappoint this season. Same with Monreal and Sagna.

Just hoping for a good normal win without having to turn it around as we've done all season. 2-0 win, no injuries and I'll be a happy man.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 am

RealGunner wrote:It's more of a 7-1-2
rofl
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 am

Great Preview RG.

A must win game, hate Stoke with a passion. I hope we can kill the game in the first half, tired of having a shit first half's.

Weneger please get your team motivated and make sure the defense is ready.
--------------------------Szczesny.
Sagna-------Koscielny------Vermaelen----------- Monreal
---------------------Ramsey--------------Arteta
---------------Walcott-------------Wilshere------------Poldi
----------------------------Giroud
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:01 am

no excuses for dropping points here..
i feel it will be a relatively easy match 3-1 or 4-1.. just need to make sure that we dont concede first and avoid giving silly free kicks..
Ramsey-Arteta-Wilshere should be good enough.. Cazorla may be rested..
the most scary part is injuries.. Diaby will certaunly go down if he plays and Jack also needs to be careful.. hope Monreal has a solid debut and Sagna picks some form.. Metskr may be preferred over Koscielny against Stoke, but only if he stays alert and he shoud be willing to show his strength.. otherwise he will get bullied inspite of his size against strong Stoke players...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:41 am

We wiill score first

but then Crouch to equalize

Our Crouch to assist on the Winner !!! :bow:
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal
Hearing Nacho and Arteta start today. Not confirmed tho yet.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Vermaelen seems to be out.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:03 pm

RealGunner wrote:Vermaelen seems to be out.

That's good news Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Kos-Mert hasn't been all that great either though tbh lol. Koscielny needs 4 games in a row to be in WC form
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down