OLpower
Mamad
Rev
worms
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is Arsene Wenger overrated?

Is Arsene Wenger overrated. - Page 3 Vote_lcap30%Is Arsene Wenger overrated. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 8 ]
Is Arsene Wenger overrated. - Page 3 Vote_lcap70%Is Arsene Wenger overrated. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 27

Is Arsene Wenger overrated. - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Arsene Wenger overrated.

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 am

Honestly I think the board are more to blame than Wenger, but Wenger is the public figure so he gets to take the heat. Surely he must have some input but from my understanding from lurking at the Arsenal board it seems to me that it is the board the one that does not want to increase wage limits, transfer budgets, etc. It's not even about buying players, how good would Arsenal be had they kept some of the star players that have left recently?

Arsenal have become a selling club. They should look to new ownership because the current one lacks ambition.

That being said he's not fault-less. Once you are in a place for long enough and you no longer have the pressure to win titles then you become complacent. I'm sure he shoulders some of the blame in Arsenal's decline. The fact is that none of us understand how much of it comes from the board and how much from him.

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Why weren't anybody tracking Philip Lahm last night? Possibly the best FB in the world?I still can't believe Vermalan,a CB was expected to deal with Muller and Lahm by himself.Podolski or Wilshere didn't help him out at all.What rubbish tactics.

Why was Walcott left stranded up front on his own,why did he play a player who can't hold the ball up against two giants like Dante and Van Buyten?Why not Giroud up front and Walcott out wide were his pace would cause Alaba think twice before attacking?

Why can't Wenger teach his team how to defend properly as a team and as a backline?Why are Arsenal still not able to defend set pieces?Why didn't Arsenal press Bayern higher and make it uncomfortable for them? Podolski,Ramsey and Walcott(When he plays as a striker) clearly don't know how and when to press,were to cover zonally when Bayern have the ball,why hasn't Wenger teached them this?

Why the hell did he play Ramsey? Especially out wide were he was useless?Why against a team like Bayern with two quality attacking full backs did Arsene play wide midfielders who won't track the opposition full backs properly?

Why couldn't Arsene see that a midfield of Arteta,Wilshere and Carzola with only Arteta holding was way too lightweight and that they would be played through time and time again by a physically superior Bayern midfield?

Arteta was outnumbered by Kroos as well as Ribery and Muller cutting inside,too much time on the ball in front of Arsenals defense.Why didn't Arsene play Wilshere deeper to combat this?

Like I have said before stop blaming lack of funds,Wenger has spent 11m on Podolski, 13m on Giroud, 20m on Cazorla and 8m on Monreal in the last 7 months.That's £52 million.Spanish,German or Italian teams would love to be able to spend that much money.

I will say it again.Wenger has spent more money on this Arsenal team than Dortmund have.Bayern have a smaller wage bill than Arsenal.Yet Wengers team can't compete with these teams hmm
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm

worms wrote:Why weren't anybody tracking Philip Lahm last night? Possibly the best FB in the world?I still can't believe Vermalan,a CB was expected to deal with Muller and Lahm by himself.Podolski or Wilshere didn't help him out at all.What rubbish tactics.

Why was Walcott left stranded up front on his own,why did he play a player who can't hold the ball up against two giants like Dante and Van Buyten?Why not Giroud up front and Walcott out wide were his pace would cause Alaba think twice before attacking?

Why can't Wenger teach his team how to defend properly as a team and as a backline?Why are Arsenal still not able to defend set pieces?Why didn't Arsenal press Bayern higher and make it uncomfortable for them? Podolski,Ramsey and Walcott(When he plays as a striker) clearly don't know how and when to press,were to cover zonally when Bayern have the ball,why hasn't Wenger teached them this?

Why the hell did he play Ramsey? Especially out wide were he was useless?Why against a team like Bayern with two quality attacking full backs did Arsene play wide midfielders who won't track the opposition full backs properly?

Why couldn't Arsene see that a midfield of Arteta,Wilshere and Carzola with only Arteta holding was way too lightweight and that they would be played through time and time again by a physically superior Bayern midfield?

Arteta was outnumbered by Kroos as well as Ribery and Muller cutting inside,too much time on the ball in front of Arsenals defense.Why didn't Arsene play Wilshere deeper to combat this?

Like I have said before stop blaming lack of funds,Wenger has spent 11m on Podolski, 13m on Giroud, 20m on Cazorla and 8m on Monreal in the last 7 months.That's £52 million.Spanish,German or Italian teams would love to be able to spend that much money.

I will say it again.Wenger has spent more money on this Arsenal team than Dortmund have.Bayern have a smaller wage bill than Arsenal.Yet Wengers team can't compete with these teams hmm

So much bullshit. My eyes are bleeding
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Didn't Lahm get beaten a few times?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Didn't Lahm get beaten a few times?

Nope.Once at the end he fouled whoever it was that got in behind him and give away a free kick.

Apart from that,nada.Perfect game.

worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:23 pm

The OP reminds me like a blonde being gang banged by Def Jam records

So much backfire in this thread Very Happy
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm

highburied wrote:The OP reminds me like a blonde being gang banged by Def Jam records

So much backfire in this thread Very Happy

Shocked
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:08 pm

100% no....
The man has recreated Arsenal
If you knew anything about what they were back in the early 90s
They were called "Boring Boring Arsenal"
now they are a team that a number of clubs have tried to model. Wenger is not only one of the most successful coaches but one of the greatest managers who took flop players(at their previous clubs) and made them greats. He took youngsters and moulded them to world class professionals
That is the sign of a great manager
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:14 pm

RealGunner wrote:Nick wants him at PSG lol

I want him at Madrid, I have always wanted him at Madrid. Since 2005!
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:19 pm

One criticism of Wenger here. His league record, pre-Emirates is immaculate, and so is his FA Cup record.

But he has never been a great when it comes to Europe.

In his managerial career, he's been involved in new format of CL almost every season with Monaco and Arsenal, and he's only reached 3 semi-finals at best:

1994 with Monaco

2006 with Arsenal

2009 with Arsenal

that's 3 seasons of making Semi-finals (And more) in over 15 attempts. I believe his approach in Europe has always been wrong, be it with his best teams (his record pre-2005 was actually worse), than now his not-as good teams.

It's been a major flaw in Wenger's CV.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:One criticism of Wenger here. His league record, pre-Emirates is immaculate, and so is his FA Cup record.

But he has never been a great when it comes to Europe.

In his managerial career, he's been involved in new format of CL almost every season with Monaco and Arsenal, and he's only reached 3 semi-finals at best:

1994 with Monaco

2006 with Arsenal

2009 with Arsenal

that's 3 seasons of making Semi-finals (And more) in over 15 attempts. I believe his approach in Europe has always been wrong, be it with his best teams (his record pre-2005 was actually worse), than now his not-as good teams.

It's been a major flaw in Wenger's CV.

he was the finalist in 2006............
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:51 pm

^ I meant Semi-final (and more).

3 out of 15+ is poor, and has been the major flaw of Wenger's CV

Alex Ferguson had the same problem until mid 2000s, but that embarrassment in 05-06 CL meant he TOTALLY changed his approach in Europe (playing 4-5-1 away from home instead of open 4-4-2), and since then he's won another CL, got to another semi-final, and another 2 finals.

SAF learnt from his mistakes in Europe, Arsene hasn't yet.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

He is stubborn
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

No
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 am

Milans performance yesterday was a slap in the face to people saying Wenger had no chance against Bayern.Allegri adapted because he was playing a better team.Wenger didn't adapt because he is too much of an idealist.Didn't have the humility to accept Bayern are a better team and play on the counter attack against them.

Do Milan have better players than Arsenal? NO,if anything Arsenal have better players and Milan sold more players than Arsenal in the summer.

A good tactician would have made Arsenal much more competitive against Bayern.

worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 am

worms wrote:A good tactician would have made Arsenal much more competitive against Bayern

You obviously seem to be one of these so called good tacticians, so humour me, what could we have done differently?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Lex wrote:
worms wrote:A good tactician would have made Arsenal much more competitive against Bayern

You obviously seem to be one of these so called good tacticians, so humour me, what could we have done differently?

Well it's not rocket science,I would have been more pragmatic.Aim to frustrate Bayern and not let them get an away goal,even if that means getting a 0 - 0 result.

Play deeper,with a double pivot in front of the defense,somebody to play alongside Arteta because he can't defend against a team like Bayern on his own,he needs help.Is Diaby fit? If so I would have played him alongside Arteta to add physical presence which was sorely lacking against players like Swinestiger and Martinez.

Playing a CB at LB with no help to deal with Muller and Lahm is suicide,anyone can see that,this is not hindsight,it was obvious before the game.Wenger should have instructed Podolski to track Lahms runs and help out,I understand Podolski is a lazy player and poor defensivley so if Wenger didn't think he was up to the task he could have played Ramsey there.

Giroud up front to give Arsenal an outlet who can hold up the ball and give Arsenal time to move up the pitch.Walcott on the right wing to keep Alaba from not bombing forward and to provide speed on the counter attack.

-----------------Giroud

Ramsey-----Carz/Wilsh-----Walcott

----------Diaby/Wilsh--Arteta

Vermalan---Mert------Kos-----Sagna

In fact Wilshere alongside Diaby could have been a better choice than fielding Arteta in this game.Who knows,Arsenals squad is thin in certain positions but you can pick a first 11 that would have done a better job than the team Wenger picked.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3