McAgger
BarrileteCosmico
bazinga
VivaStPauli
Yuri Yukuv
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The end of the gun debate! Empty The end of the gun debate!

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Checkmate Obozo!

Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

The end of the gun debate! Empty Re: The end of the gun debate!

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

TL;DW

did it mention how all printed guns fell apart after a couple shots?
And those that didn't still need manufactured metal parts?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:TL;DW

I read somewhere that a new 3D printed gun could fire around 600 rounds. Here: http://www.ctrguns.com/download-this-gun-3d-printed-semi-automatic-fires-over-600-rounds/
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:47 am

Likewise I read reports of 200 shots being fired. Not quite sure if that's what you call "a couple" though.

Anyways it's a little naive to think the technology won't get there to the point where 3d printing allows for more durable guns, given that right now it's at its infancy.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:44 am

They even say it in the video at the end that they already have printed out a lower receiver that can last 600 rounds. That's insane.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 am

VivaStPauli wrote:TL;DW

Listen to that glorious music and download your 600 Round Capable AR-15 today

Relative to the rest of the industry this is very very impressive, cant even begin to imagine where it will be in 10 years.

3D printing in in itself will radically transform society as the power to manufacture is moved from big institutions in countries like china and germany to the regular consumer, printing guns will break government monopoly of arms in many countries and move power to regular citizen.

This is alot like what the internet did for information.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:44 am

On a sidenote: I can also cook meth in my basement, anyone can do it.
Should we just hand it to anyone?

Hell, I can make bombs in my basement. Legalize?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:On a sidenote: I can also cook meth in my basement, anyone can do it.
Should we just hand it to anyone?

Hell, I can make bombs in my basement. Legalize?

Thats exactly the point, from a legal point of view anything can happen and 3D printed guns do not change anything at all.

However in terms of practicality, it will be near impossible to ban gun manufacturing in your own house. Especially as a printed gun's lower revolver is made out of plastic as opposed to certain materials for explosives (I dont know how people make meth to be honest).

You also pointed out something very important, for those two items there is a problem with the usage and commercial trading for printed guns I do not think many in the anti-gun control movement are looking to use guns in regular times or to trade them.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Actually the US gun lobby should run rampant against the printing of guns - at the moment they are just interested in everybody being allowed to have guns as they want to sell them. If everybody can print their own guns, their business will collapse.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:31 pm

rwo power wrote:Actually the US gun lobby should run rampant against the printing of guns - at the moment they are just interested in everybody being allowed to have guns as they want to sell them. If everybody can print their own guns, their business will collapse.

Yes you are right, both liberal and conservative vested interest would probably be against this technology.

Whats pretty interesting is that as we are moving towards a new generation and new attitudes we are actually seeing that net % wise americans have gone from being against gay marriage to becoming in favor while they have went from being in favor of gun control to being against.

The NRA and the weapons lobby is ceasing to be at the forefront of struggle against controls ever since Obama has taken office.

The end of the gun debate! 6f2e8580-9899-11e2-867f-00144feabdc0
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:28 pm

ive been familiar with this manufacturing technology for a few years now and i must say that the only type of printer reachable to the average man would be a plastic 3d printer. A printer that can melt metal is just another name for an industrial laser, which is actually quite expensive. so someone would just be better off buying a gun on the black market than actually going through this expensive and troubling procedure.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 pm

From the video it looks like plastic to me. It's translucent, definitely not metal.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:04 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:From the video it looks like plastic to me. It's translucent, definitely not metal.

yea i just watched the youtube video, its definitely plastic.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 am

http://vimeo.com/64432171 Laughing Perfect.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by •MilanDevil• Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:36 am

BarcaKizz wrote:http://vimeo.com/64432171 Laughing Perfect.

rofl Woopty-dooo! That was amazing, I think it was brilliantly put.
•MilanDevil•
•MilanDevil•
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 am

Woopty-doo, Johnny boy, you rippa!
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Came in this thread to post this.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Very very excited for John Oliver to get his crack at hosting the show this summer, he has earned it and I think he's gonna kill it
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Swanhends wrote:Very very excited for John Oliver to get his crack at hosting the show this summer, he has earned it and I think he's gonna kill it

It will be like two colberts after each other

meh
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 am

Yuri Yukuv wrote:
Swanhends wrote:Very very excited for John Oliver to get his crack at hosting the show this summer, he has earned it and I think he's gonna kill it

It will be like two colberts after each other

meh

I disagree, John Oliver has shown that he is capable of playing the satirical Colbert role, but he has also shown that he can do more of Stewarts "Point out the stupid" role
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:09 pm

More brilliance rofl
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 am

VivaStPauli wrote:

Came in this thread to post this.

This frigging brilliant.

Who is this "Phillip"? Is he really an advocate for freedom of guns? I've never seen a spokesman for any cause making a bigger ridicule in my life.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm

And now ladies and gentlemen we present you with the first 3D printed handgun

That, right there. Is how the battle was won
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 pm

So what? I can cook meth in my basement, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Staples will begin selling 3D printers this summer

In June, Staples will become among the first major retailers to offer a 3D printer. It will also be among the first to offer an affodable one, with 3D Systems’ Cube 3D printer being sold for $1,299, the company announced on Friday.

Although $1,299 may seem expensive, there was a time when the cheapest dot matrix or impact printers cost more than that. The price will inevitably come down.

The Cube 3D Printer works with both Windows and Mac OS X. It comes with 25 templates with more available online.

It's unlikely that 3D Systems will see massive sales of the Cube 3D Printer, but the publicity alone might be worth it. It's unclear if this model will be powerful enough to print a gun, but with the first blueprints for such a weapon to be released online next week, if the dimensions are small enough -- the Cube 3D Printer can print items up to 5.5" x 5.5" x 5.5” -- you can bet someone will try.

As with any printer, the money is mostly in the consumables. 3D Systems sells its Cubify Invent software as well as plastic cartridge refills, CubeSticks, which stabilize the object being printed and go for $9.99, and replacement Cube Print Pads, which will cost $99.99.

It seems like they will also have higher powered 3D printers for shared use

3D PRINTING GOES PRIME TIME AS STAPLES TO OFFER “EASY 3D” SERVICE

Excited about the potential of 3D printing but not quite ready to invest in a printer for your home? Then you are just the market that Staples is looking to woo as it moves into the 3D printing space.

In a partnership with Ireland-based commercial 3D printer manufacturer Mcor Technologies, the office chain megastore will be launching the “Staples Easy 3D” service. Through the company website, customers upload design files for printing and can then opt to either pick them up at the local store or have them delivered. The service is scheduled to launch in early 2013 in The Netherlands and Belgium, and plans to bring it to U.S. stores are surely in the works.

If you’re curious why these two companies make good bedfellows, the service will utilize Mcor’s IRIS 3D printer, which cuts regular A4 office paper to form 0.1mm layers. Photorealistic color printing of each sheet is possible in over a million colors with resolutions of 5760 x 1440 x 508dpi thanks to Mcor’s True Color technology, according to the company’s website. Each sheet is then glued together to form a compact model with a hardness close to wood. The surrounding support paper is then removed from the object by the technician.

Here’s the promotional video for the service (note it loops ad infinitum):

It’s important to point out that this promo is somewhat misleading. It gives the impression that all you have to do is upload a picture of the object you want printed, but the IRIS printer requires a CAD file format. A single 2D image doesn’t translate into a 3D scan, unless a sophisticated object recognition system was used. Now, a series of images can be used to build 3D models using the free 123D Catch app from AutoDesk, for instance, but it doesn’t appear as if Staples is adding anything like this to the program, at least at this stage of the game.

On the surface, this move by the office supply chain store could be interpreted in two different ways. On one hand, it may look like a natural evolution of 2D paper printing into 3D paper printing, now that the cost of 3D printers has decreased and demand for the services have increased. This is feasible considering that the company has found a clever way to extend the utility of a product they already carry, paper. In addition, Mcor claims that the IRIS printer has the highest color capability and lower operating cost of any commercial printer, making a low-cost risk to test the service with customers.

On the other hand, one could interpret this announcement as a desperation grab from a staple (pun intended) in yet another industry being made obsolete by the digitization of just about everything and online superstores like Amazon.

Regardless of why Staples is starting the program, it will likely be a good thing for 3D printing as it will be yet another avenue for the masses to get into this emerging technology. In fact, 3D printing “photo booths” are starting to show up across the globe, with other large companies like Disney experimenting with what the tech can do for its brand. Furthermore, we are still far from a time when there’s a 3D printer in every home, so this is an ideal window for a company like Staples to gauge interest and perform some market research. After all, the stores do carry regular printers as well, why not 3D printers in a few years?

In a few years time, the landscape of 3D printing will surely look much different, and I’m sure we’ll look back at this time and wonder why there was so much trepidation about a no-brainer technology. Until then, each tiny step that 3D printing takes gets longer in stride, and surely it will be only a matter of time before it is in a full gallop.

To get a sense of how realistic the finished printed objects look, check out this short video that shows what the IRIS printer can produce:

Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next