ExtremistEnigma
McAgger
Kick
Red Alert
12 posters

Go down

Southampton Empty Southampton

Post by Red Alert Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 am

It look's as if they'll survive this season but there's still a lot of work to do and to maintain that. They probably need to win 3 of their next games to prevent going down. They probably look the favourites, for me anyway, to stay up from the names down there.

Question to those that watch the BPL, do you feel they'll be able to hold onto their players?

Luke Shaw is already being targeted by many sides in England.
Schneiderlin has easily been one of the best defensive-minded midfielders in the league this season. I think he's on top of both tackles and intercepts this season.
Gaston Ramirez is one of the best players for his age as an attacking midfielder. Very promising but needs to work on being more consistent.
Lallana is RG's favourite player and for acceptable reasons. Great player who's finally experiencing the PL at a mature age. The only grudge you can have on this guy is that he's supported Everton as a kid.

I can go on and on but they've got a very young and promising side with one of the best youth in the league. My question to you guys is do you feel they'll be able to hold onto them for the next season?
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Southampton Empty Re: Southampton

Post by Kick Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 am

they're good and will improve which I am very happy about.

I don't think they will hold on to everyone, I can see Shaw and maybe Clyne or Gaston leaving.

Shaw is ours btw. Twisted Evil
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 am

Young and British. #WelcometoLFC Southampton 123n7r
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 am

Don't need Shaw. We got Robbo. Cool
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 am

Their most important players just signed new long-term contracts... even if some of their players want to go they'll get a decent fee so they're safe. I think Luke Shaw apart everyone else will stay. Luke Shaw will join Chelsea this summer or in 2014/15 I'm sure.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Their most important players just signed new long-term contracts... even if some of their players want to go they'll get a decent fee so they're safe. I think Luke Shaw apart everyone else will stay. Luke Shaw will join Chelsea this summer or in 2014/15 I'm sure.

Thumbs up
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm

They've beaten a few top teams and Pochettino is overall doing alright.

They've got winnable games against Reading, West Ham, Swansea, West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke. That's all but 2 games.

If they do stay up, then I'm sure Pochettino will convince the top players to stay.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm

I do feel that they'll hang onto almost everyone, assuming they survive. Almost all of the attractive targets at the club are still young and developing; staying at Southampton for another year of premier league football in which the club will be under modest but manageable pressure remains the sensible option. Moving too soon can be disastrous for a young player in need of consistent game time. At Southampton they have the backing of a project with a clear direction, they'll have the time and space to make mistakes and continuity from an excellent year's work.

Ramirez for instance is still very much getting used to playing Premier League football, and would certainly not be ready for a significant role at a big club. The only move he could really make is sideways, which would be utterly pointless and take him out of a very positive environment. The only two who might be ready to leave and make an impact would be Lallana and Schneiderlin, but as I've already stated, they're much better off staying for at least another year. Anyone who leaves at the end of this season - again assuming they will be staying in the top flight - simply risks going the way of Adam Johnson.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

I wonder who said they would surprise everyone and finish closer to 10th than relegation before the season started Proud

As for keeping their best players i think they can, they don't really need to sell but if a CL club comes in it will be difficult as always for any team that isn't in the CL.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Apart from Ramirez, I'm not any of their players are good enough for a CL club. They have the potential, but I'm not sure where they'd start at a CL club.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:08 am

Yohan Modric wrote:They've beaten a few top teams and Pochettino is overall doing alright.

They've got winnable games against Reading, West Ham, Swansea, West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke. That's all but 2 games.

If they do stay up, then I'm sure Pochettino will convince the top players to stay.

Before these last two games against Liverpool and Chelsea, he had only won one game in about 7. I'm still not convinced by him. He didn't really have the greatest record with Espanyol either. Really wish Adkins would of stayed - after all it's essentially his team and the results weren't all bad.

Yohan Modric wrote:Apart from Ramirez, I'm not any of their players are good enough for a CL club. They have the potential, but I'm not sure where they'd start at a CL club.

Schneiderlin could easily play for Arsenal. They still havn't replaced Song. He could also be rotated at both Chelsea (with Mikel) and at United as Carrick isn't getting any younger. LFC could use him too. :coffee:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 am

I'd love Schneiderlin at Arsenal just so I could have an excuse to say Schneiderlin all the time
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 am

I believe Soton are quite safe in terms of keeping their players. They've got a group of fine players who aren't quite starting material at the top clubs.

And like said already, their better players seem to be on long contracts, so they'd receive a good fee anyway and last summer they bought Ramirez for £12m and I don't see why they couldn't make a similar buy again, so replacing players shouldn't be impossible.

They might want to buy a better CB than Hooivelt (or maybe that Forren guy will step in) and perhaps a striker who can cover for Lambert.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 pm

I'd take Schneiderlin all day at Newcastle tbh we need a new DM and he's been as good as anyone this season in that role tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:39 pm

The best players will stay, due to the fact that no 'big club' will risk paying a huge fee to any player who has only performed at the highest level for one season.

That does not mean to say they are not good players, they are but its a gamble.

After next season, if they continue to perform, then its a different story.
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 pm

1. Are these players mature (smart) enough to know what's best for them (in long run)! The lure of a better wage or team (even mid-table) have wasted (or slowed progress) many young players.

2. What about other leagues! Teams like Malaga, Valencia, OM, OL, Napoli, Lazio. These teams (not specifically this bunch) will sell a player or two and will be in the market for bargains. While these players haven't matured yet, they can fit into teams in CL/EL.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down