Assessing our Midfield - Part 1

4 posters

Go down

Assessing our Midfield - Part 1 Empty Assessing our Midfield - Part 1

Post by Kick Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 am

Sorry it has taken a few days to produce this. I have been rather busy with my Uni work and haven't had the time to spend on properly making this thread. I also thought I would break up our Midfield into the two parts of the 4-2-3-1. So in this installment I will talk about our CM/DM's.

Central Midfield has been one of our weaker points this past season with many fans calling for a creative central midfielder to help build attacks from the back, something which we have struggled to do. Lampard has tried his best to be the creative player we need and David Luiz has been tried there, however, neither have been up to the standards set by some of best players of the last decade, Makelele being a prime example. When neither Lampard nor David Luiz are playing there we have looked incredibly disjointed and when a team presses high up the pitch, struggle to maintain possesion in our own half. Generally when pressed, our defence has no option and plays the ball to Cech who procceeds to hoof it long. Many fans believe a deep lying playmaker would fix this problem and allow us to maintain possession in such situations. Let's dive head first into the midfield and put each player under the spotlight.

Mikel, I think his absense during AFCON (congrats on winning it Mikel cheers ) showed Mikel is an important player in this team. While he is not the most consistant, he has shown, when on form he is one of the best DM's in the world. A sure starter in any future Chelsea team.

Lampard, I don't think much needs to be said here except for, despite his ages, he has been very good. Give him a freaking contract!
I don't think he'll be here next year so a replacement is probably needed. Sad

Ramires, The lightning theif. The man who doesn't fit our system unfortunately. He has been decent in the pivot but it very much restricts his best aspects. A very good sub as his energy level is second to none. Could cause any future manage a headache as to whether to select him or not. If a 4-3-3 is chosen as the future formation Ramires would certainly be a starter. A decent season overall from one of our best players.

Romeu, I can't believe our midfield has mainly featured these four players, but it has. Romeu suffered that unfortunate injury and will probably remain a back up next season as he finds full fitness again. I had high hopes for this kid when he first joined but he has not improved the way many people thought he would. Still a decent squad player to have around and just needs more faith from the managers. Another player who is better suited to the 4-3-3 and at times, looked like the defensive distributor we are looking for. Given a bit of decent form, a good preseason and faith shown by the manager, he could devolop into that kind of player for us. I think it could be rather unlikely though.

David Luiz, I figured I should include him for completeness. When played in midfield, he forgets all of his defensive responsibilities and becomes an out and out playmaker. While he is decent here, some fans believe he should stay in CB. He is certainly our Most talented CB but his attacking style makes him unreliable (see Assessing our Defence). A move to CM would certainly mean we would need to purchase a CB.

The youngsters, While we have some promising youngsters on loan such as McEachran, Chalobah and De Bruyne, None are ready to play in our pivot yet, De Bruyne is the closest but has to improve his defending.

Resolution:
With Frank Lampard looking increasingly likely to leave the club, a replacement is needed. A defensive playmaker is preferable as well as someone who brings experience to the team, all the usual suspects will be listed, Benat, Moutinho, Schweinsteiger, Modric and the likes. Depending on the manager, Maybe DL4 or KDB could be used to fill this hole or even Romeu but as things stand, A CM is needed. I would prefer someone older so when our youngsters are ready, the CM would be just over the peak of his prime and starting to step back. As long as they can defend and have an eye for a pass. They'll do well.

If only we got Arteta. Rolling Eyes
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Assessing our Midfield - Part 1 Empty Re: Assessing our Midfield - Part 1

Post by Shed Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 am

Joshy and ChaloBOSS future Chelsea midfield Proud

Assessing our Midfield - Part 1 12_6_16
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 am

Ever Banega :coffee:
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

ShedEnd1905 wrote:Joshy and ChaloBOSS future Chelsea midfield Proud

Assessing our Midfield - Part 1 12_6_16
One can only hope.
fatman123 wrote:Ever Banega :coffee:
Another option, he is too inconsistant for me though. Who knows, maybe he'd improve in the EPL.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Is this impressive stat the reason why Chelsea are steamrolling the Premier League?:
Chelsea's Cesc Fàbregas and Nemanja Matic are the first players this season to rack up over 100 miles on the pitch, which may go some way towards explaining the Blues’ all-action undefeated campaign to date
http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/04/is-this-impressive-stat-the-reason-why-chelsea-are-steamrolling-the-premier-league-4973960/

Assessing our Midfield - Part 1 100

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebelles.REUS.rex Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:15 am

THE PIVOT :bow:
Rebelles.REUS.rex
Rebelles.REUS.rex