VendettaRed07
Il Diavolo
McAgger
RedOranje
11 posters

Go down

MLS Public Salaries Empty MLS Public Salaries

Post by RedOranje Thu May 09, 2013 4:17 am

Every year the MLS Player's Union releases a list showing the yearly salaries of every player in Major League Soccer. They include PDF's listing them by club and by alphabetical order (AVAILABLE HERE) so that fans can see where their teams' players fall.

Top 10 for 2013:
1. Thierry Henry – New York Red Bulls – $4,350,000
2. Robbie Keane – LA Galaxy – $4,333,333.33
3. Tim Cahill – New York Red Bulls – $3,620,000
4. Landon Donovan – LA Galaxy – $2,500,000
5. Marco Di Vaio – Montreal Impact – $1,937,508
6. Obafemi Martins – Seattle Sounders – $1,725,000
7. Danny Koevermans – Toronto FC – $1,663,323.33
8. Kenny Miller – Vancouver Whitecaps – $1,132,492
9. Fredy Montero* – Seattle Sounders – $856,000
10. David Ferreira – FC Dallas – $730,000
11. Dwayne DeRosario – D.C. United – $645,333.00
12. Federico Higuain – Columbus Crew – $604,000
13. Chris Wondolowski – San Jose Earthquakes – $600,000
14. Shalrie Joseph – Seattle Sounders – $599,333
15. Sherjill MacDonald – Chicago Fire – $527,115
16. Kleberson – Philadelphia Union – $495,000
17. Darren O’Dea – Toronto FC – $456,250
18. Alvaro Saborio – Seal Salt Lake – $453,333
19. Kalifa Cisse – New England Revolution – $445,000
20. Diego Valeri – Portland Timbers – $400,000
*On loan to Millonarios (Colombia).

MLS Roster & Salary Rules:
I. MLS ROSTER COMPOSITION

A Major League Soccer club’s first team roster is comprised of up to 30 players. All 30 players are eligible for selection to each 18-player game-day squad during the regular season and playoffs.

Salary & Budget:

Players occupying roster spots 1-20 count against the club’s 2013 salary budget of $2,950,000, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Salary Budget Players.
----- Roster spots 19 and 20 are not required to be filled, and teams may spread their salary budget across only 18 Salary Budget Players. A minimum salary budget charge will be imputed against a team’s salary budget for each unfilled senior roster slot below 18.
----- The maximum budget charge for a single player is $368,750.*

* See section entitled Allocation Money below, under Player Acquisition Mechanisms, for details on buying down a player’s budget charge.
** Age of player is determined by year (not date) of birth.

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
----- All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
----- Players occupying roster spots 1-24 will earn at least $46,500 in 2013.
----- Players occupying roster spots 25-30 will earn at least $35,125 in 2013.
----- Clubs may sign up to two Homegrown Players contracts above the minimum salary and similar to Generation adidas player contract amounts.

Age Designations:

Any player making $35,125 must be under the age 25 (does not turn 25 or older in 2013).

Domestic/International:

In 2013, a total of 152 international slots are divided among the 19 clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster.
----- The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).

The three MLS clubs based in Canada – Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC – began with eight international slots, but their domestic slots may be filled with either Canadian or U.S. domestic players.
----- MLS clubs based in Canada are required to have a minimum of three Canadian domestic players on their rosters.
----- Players with the legal right to work in Canada are considered Canadian domestic players (i.e., Canadian citizen, permanent resident, part of a protected class).

NOTE:The terms Homegrown and Generation adidas are used to describe mechanisms by which players are acquired. They are not roster designations. All players’ roster slots are determined by their compensation and/or age as outlined above.

How do people feel knowing how much MLS players will make in 2013 (from their club wages)? Do the players earn too much? Too little?

Given the growing concern about fiscal stability and sustainability in the European game, do you think that any part of this should be an example that European leagues follow? Would you like to see the actual wages for the players at your favourite club?

Also: a discussion on US and Canadian players' wages relative to others here: http://www.goallegacy.net/t30280-mls-salaries#894773
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

MLS Public Salaries Empty Re: MLS Public Salaries

Post by McAgger Thu May 09, 2013 5:39 am

No Nesta Shocked
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 am

MTL - Nesta, Alessandro - D - $305,000.00
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Diavolo Thu May 09, 2013 5:55 am

RedOranje wrote:
MTL - Nesta, Alessandro - D - $305,000.00
What? This makes no sense. Yaya Toure makes more in a week then Nesta makes in the whole year? Shocked
I mean, I know Nesta is old and at the end of his career, but he was one of the best CB's in the world just last year!
Il Diavolo
Il Diavolo
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu May 09, 2013 6:41 am

Henry earning those dollars with those two goals tonight! :bow:

Its kind of crazy how little most MLS players get paid. I mean only 8 players out of hundreds make over a million a year?.. Teams need to be able to spend more or else I don't see the quality of the league improving much any time soon. With Athletes having the choice of so many other leagues in america that are far more profitable the MLS will have a hard time getting much home grown talent unless they make a better situation for aspiring young people.

But on the other hand, I think they need to sort the league out first and fix most of the things holding it back first before they open the wallets on players.

I see it like a Field of Dreams scenario.. If you build it, they will come. They need to fix the stadium qualities, locations, and the schedule. Then I think the league will be an ideal place that can attract a lot of talent. But for now it would be wasting money that could be better spent improving other aspects of the league not just adding more temporary star power.

No teams should be playing in NFL stadiums. Turf shouldn't be acceptable. Every team in the league should have a soccer, if you will, specific stadium. Back to The Red Bulls, they aren't going to play Henry against the revolution on saturday because they play on hard turf and they see it as an injury risk. The league needs to help invest getting teams to play in profitable locations in their own stadiums.

Some teams should be moved around to maximize accessablity and exposure. Cities like San Franciso, New York, Boston, ANY in Florida like Miami, Orlando, Tampa etc.. could all use teams and would do wonders for the sport. Chivas, San Jose, The Revolution + expansion could all be moved around to help improve things

And Also I think the last big hump to get over would be the schedule. This isn't really a big deal now. But as the level of talent increases in MLS this is something that has GOT to be addressed. Because of its clash with the international schedule, players who go off to the Euro or World cup, or even stuff like the Domestic gold cup, or whatever goes on during the months when most other leagues in the world are on break, star players in the league could miss anywhere up to two months of playing time. That cannot happen.

Imagine if that happened in any other US league. Like if the NBA took place during the Olympics, and Durant, Lebron, Carmelo, Cp3, Wade, and the rest all left for a huge period of time like that?.. People would be furious and the results that happened during that time would feel cheap and unfair. Not too mention no one would care about watching anything during that time either.

I know I'm going off here and this is getting to be a pretty long rant, but lastly I think they really NEED to switch the schedule to start in august and end some time in spring, and have a winter break in January, don't play a game that month. Basically copy what the Scottish Premier league used to do. It would work out for the best because the NFL playoffs happen then so it would make a lot of sense to not even try to compete with that month, and when its over and dies down, MLS can hype up its return for all those people who are disappointed the NFL season is over and give them something to watch.

Last edited by VendettaRed07 on Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 am; edited 2 times in total
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 am

Impressive there isn't a single Houston Dynamo in the top 20, with there great run and runs in the cups last few years
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu May 09, 2013 6:58 am

NESTA IS SUFFERING... come to Australia, I will pay you Sandro!
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Berbatov Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 am

Danny Koevermans – Toronto FC – $1,663,323.33

That .33 makes the salary so much more worth it.
Berbatov
Berbatov
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Real Betis

Back to top Go down

Post by Catracho Thu May 09, 2013 8:12 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Henry earning those dollars with those two goals tonight! :bow:

Its kind of crazy how little most MLS players get paid. I mean only 8 players out of hundreds make over a million a year?.. Teams need to be able to spend more or else I don't see the quality of the league improving much any time soon. With Athletes having the choice of so many other leagues in america that are far more profitable the MLS will have a hard time getting much home grown talent unless they make a better situation for aspiring young people.

But on the other hand, I think they need to sort the league out first and fix most of the things holding it back first before they open the wallets on players.

I see it like a Field of Dreams scenario.. If you build it, they will come. They need to fix the stadium qualities, locations, and the schedule. Then I think the league will be an ideal place that can attract a lot of talent. But for now it would be wasting money that could be better spent improving other aspects of the league not just adding more temporary star power.

No teams should be playing in NFL stadiums. Turf shouldn't be acceptable. Every team in the league should have a soccer, if you will, specific stadium. Back to The Red Bulls, they aren't going to play Henry against the revolution on saturday because they play on hard turf and they see it as an injury risk. The league needs to help invest getting teams to play in profitable locations in their own stadiums.

Some teams should be moved around to maximize accessablity and exposure. Cities like San Franciso, New York, Boston, ANY in Florida like Miami, Orlando, Tampa etc.. could all use teams and would do wonders for the sport. Chivas, San Jose, The Revolution + expansion could all be moved around to help improve things

And Also I think the last big hump to get over would be the schedule. This isn't really a big deal now. But as the level of talent increases in MLS this is something that has GOT to be addressed. Because of its clash with the international schedule, players who go off to the Euro or World cup, or even stuff like the Domestic gold cup, or whatever goes on during the months when most other leagues in the world are on break, star players in the league could miss anywhere up to two months of playing time. That cannot happen.

Imagine if that happened in any other US league. Like if the NBA took place during the Olympics, and Durant, Lebron, Carmelo, Cp3, Wade, and the rest all left for a huge period of time like that?.. People would be furious and the results that happened during that time would feel cheap and unfair. Not too mention no one would care about watching anything during that time either.

I know I'm going off here and this is getting to be a pretty long rant, but lastly I think they really NEED to switch the schedule to start in august and end some time in spring, and have a winter break in January, don't play a game that month. Basically copy what the Scottish Premier league used to do. It would work out for the best because the NFL playoffs happen then so it would make a lot of sense to not even try to compete with that month, and when its over and dies down, MLS can hype up its return for all those people who are disappointed the NFL season is over and give them something to watch.

I don't think you know what you're talking about...
Catracho
Catracho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am

Catracho wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:.

Probably not.

the OP brought up a lot of interesting questions, and I just had trouble keeping my thoughts organized I guess.

Basically, I just think that Turf sucks, playing in NFL stadiums sucks, the summer schedule sucks, the locations of most of the teams sucks. Better players would be more willing to go if those things were changed.

Throwing money at it now won't change much other than how much your going to play older players who are just trying to cash in on one last pay day, and even if you develop young star american players you'd loose them to europe if current trends continue.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Catracho wrote:

Probably not.

the OP brought up a lot of interesting questions, and I just had trouble keeping my thoughts organized I guess.

Basically, I just think that Turf sucks, playing in NFL stadiums sucks, the summer schedule sucks, the locations of most of the teams sucks. Better players would be more willing to go if those things were changed.

Throwing money at it now won't change much other than how much your going to play older players who are just trying to cash in on one last pay day, and even if you develop young star american players you'd loose them to europe if current trends continue.

You brought up very good points.
So I don't see how catracho believe you don't know what you're talking about.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Catracho wrote:

Probably not.

But you didn't actually address ANY of the questions I posed bar the very first one...

And without getting too far off-topic and retreading the same old discussions the summer schedule is in place because of the issues winter weather cause to playing and travel, especially for the northern clubs. Moving clubs around would only serve to alienate the current fanbase within MLS and destroy community ties that have been/are being established... and it would be madness to move clubs away from stadiums built specifically for them. Turf is an issue, but given that FIFA are FORCING the next Women's World Cup to be played on turf it does not appear an issue that will be addressed any time soon.

Now, could we please actually address the actual questions asked rather than retreading the same old discussion points we've already covered in multiple other threads? Not that I expect too much from non-European, non-meme thread though...
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu May 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Berbatov wrote:
Danny Koevermans – Toronto FC – $1,663,323.33

That .33 makes the salary so much more worth it.
It's probably due to exchange rate differences
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 am

Why I would of liked to be a professional footballer, nice to see I make more than most of them in my chosen profession.

Not sure if that's good or embarrassing for the actual professional footballers though :coffee:
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 am

Btw Red not quite sure what you mean by an example to follow.

As far as salaries are concerned in Serie A they are revealed every year, I believe the gazzetta complies it though. A salary cap like that would be impossible to implement in europe though as the competition between countries is too high .
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 am

RedOranje wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:
Catracho wrote:

Probably not.

But you didn't actually address ANY of the questions I posed bar the very first one...

And without getting too far off-topic and retreading the same old discussions the summer schedule is in place because of the issues winter weather cause to playing and travel, especially for the northern clubs. Moving clubs around would only serve to alienate the current fanbase within MLS and destroy community ties that have been/are being established... and it would be madness to move clubs away from stadiums built specifically for them. Turf is an issue, but given that FIFA are FORCING the next Women's World Cup to be played on turf it does not appear an issue that will be addressed any time soon.

Now, could we please actually address the actual questions asked rather than retreading the same old discussion points we've already covered in multiple other threads? Not that I expect too much from non-European, non-meme thread though...
I actually read and typed this on my phone, and I read one of your questions backwards, when you were talking about the financial stability of MLS, that should it look to operate more like leagues in europe and spend and expand more, rather than should european leagues emulate some sort of wage scale like the mls or something like that. Silly mistake on my part

and for the moving around of some teams, I don't think TOO much should be done, but when big cities could use some teams. Maybe one or two should move around that generally have low attendance. I think Chivas USA should move to florida or San Fran, that would be a big help and help grow more fan bases imo. I just think with 20 league teams, that they can't afford to have two teams in the same building like the NBA or NFL with 30+ teams can. But sorry you're right thats for another topic.

But my thoughts just were I think players are underpaid, but I think that before we see them get big pay raises, the league could improve conditions in some other areas first. It isn't quite stable enough to have each team spending big money. The reason NASL collapsed was because the Cosmos bought pele and a bunch of other euro stars, and while they could afford it, other teams were all in debt because they had to spend more than they earned just to compete and when he left everything collapsed. While that wouldn't happen quite on that scale now, I totally understand their modest approach now.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Btw Red not quite sure what you mean by an example to follow.

As far as salaries are concerned in Serie A they are revealed every year, I believe the gazzetta complies it though. A salary cap like that would be impossible to implement in europe though as the competition between countries is too high .
I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with Gazzetta. Is it affiliated with the league or players' union in some way, and therefore able to get official, reliable figures, or does it operate as most other footy media and take educated guesses?

Salary caps have been discussed to death and I've no interest in re-treading old conversations, as I previously mentioned. I'm more interested in seeing some type of official transparency surrounding wages paid, especially with the talk about incentive-based wage structures and the like.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down