Twoism
TalkingReckless
Jay29
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking at the season ahead Empty Looking at the season ahead

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:15 am

Now that the madness of the transfer window has ended and everyone has finalised squads, it's as good a time as any to assess our chances for the season ahead.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about our transfer window since there isn't a lot that I can say that hasn't already been said. We started out optimistic, fell into despair, let our frustration boil over, resigned ourselves to the inevitable and then ended feeling very giddy and optimistic again. It goes without saying that Arsenal never do straight-forward transfer windows. There are various reasons for that and we've discussed it to death. At the end of it all, I think we can be satisfied with the business the club did, even if most would admit it wasn't complete.

Four arrivals and nine first departures have left our squad, assuming we'll play 4-2-3-1 the majority of the time, looking like this:

Szczesny/Viviano/Fabiasnki

Sagna*/Jenkinson - Mertesacker - Koscielny/Vermaelen - Gibbs/Monreal

Arteta/Flamini - Ramsey/Wilshere**

Walcott/Chamberlain*** - Özil/Rosicky - Cazorla****/Podolski

Giroud/Bendtner/Sanogo

-----------------------------------------

* - Sagna will also be used as central defensive cover.

** - Özil's arrivals makes it likely that Wilshere will be used in the pivot more often. Ramsey could play with him in place of Arteta/Flamini, or instead of him alongside Arteta/Flamini.

*** - Chamberlain can easily play central midfield or attacking midfield if the need arises.

**** - Cazorla can, of course, play ACM.

-----------------------------------------

Squad and Tactics:

Competition Expectations:

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Looking at the season ahead Empty Re: Looking at the season ahead

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 am

So was Bendtner submited to the squad list?
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 am

Agree with you on our roster, some of my minor concerns & thoughts

I still have some doubts over Szczesny consistency but Wenger has faith in Szczesny and brought Viviano as a short term push for him, something that we lacked last year. A safe option, Cesar and Begovic while great will definitely push Szczesny all the way to bench role.

Outflank, Jenkinson and Gibbs seem to have problem with tricky and quick wingers or double up team, hence the importance of our winger’s trackback. Theo did well helping out with Jenkinson, Santi not so much and I couldn’t blame him. This is where Ramsey & Wilshere coming in, their work rate and determination are needed here. Our CB is solid but I would like some addition during winter, I guess it depends on TV5 form and injuries at that point.

Midfield pairing, After the disaster of Aston Villa, Ramsey – Wilshere combination slowly grown on me. The two definitely rely on tenacity and work rate. After Spurs game, you could clearly see the limitation of static holding midfield, Spur trio while physically superior, was so one pace like three bulldozers going up and down, and constantly got beaten by our mobile midgets. So I prefer Ramsey and Wilshere against more static midfield, and Arteta/Flamini when the team has to pin down their speedy AM. Santi will now be permanent on the left, he should be there to get the best out of Gibbs. I do feel now, we might be more balance with Ozil who likes to drift out the wings, Ozil and Santi could interchange, whoever drift out, the other will hug more to the center.

Ozil game is very different with what we have so it’s another dimension we could  explore. He is quick, looking for fast transition, one touch killer ball for forward run. He should be the one play closest to the our forwards. We will play a bit faster with him I’m sure. One of our problems last year was against parking the bus, we just couldn’t unlock the defense and hopefully Ozil will be the key here.

Too bad we couldn’t get Ba but Podolski will fill in if needed. It’s hard to speculate how many goals our strikers gonna get, on paper it’s our weakest area with no player up there in worldclass category. Giroud will score the most and after him, we will rely on team work and scoring duty will be spread across our attacking front like last year.

Competition expectation:

Premier League: I expect 3rd or 2nd finish but with very intense run in with the rest of the teams. This is one year where everything is in transition, anything could happens.

Champion League: Get out of the group 1st to secure the money and build up confidence since it’s group of death with runner up. After that, it’s just matter of draw and giving it all game by game.

Domestic cups: Finals or Semi finals at least and one trophy to end our drought.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:10 am

as some said, just by signing Ozil the rating of the window has rose form 3/10 to 8/10..
we were talking about ambition asking to sign Rooney or Suarez or Higuain.. and we get Ozil, a player bigger than all of these.. what more can you ask.. and Flamini looks a very good signing.. experienced, versatile, leader.. so we have a good squad to fight and atleast make a 2nd place or 3rd place finish.. i hope Arteta and Vermelen will be back soon.. and with Poldi and Ox back we have very good depth.. except for a CF.. would have loved Ba or someone as backup for Giroud.. seems Mourinho got scared about us signing Ozil and took the plate away from us.. we can sign a CF in january or even bring back 'Henry' again.. Razz 
looking forward to a very good season...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 am

someone make a thread about poor Viviano too.. bounce 

Looking at the season ahead 1239044_10151918860950739_1286790688_n

by the way, is he the younger brother of this Arsenal legend ? scratch  :bow: 
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:38 am

British core. Supported by Spanish flair and French guile. Enhanced by German precision... #Arsenal Heart 

French to Spanish to English to German...
and now we have good combination of all these internationals..
no love for Italy.. Razz
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 am

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs/Monreal
Arteta Ramsey/Wilshere
Walcott Özil Cazorla
Giroud

Bench: Viviano; Vermaelen; Flamini, Wilshere/Ramsey, Rosicky; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski;

Our best first team when everyone is fit, in my opinion. This team has serious potential. Of course lack of another striker is evident but I've been thinking about playing a two-striker formation when Giroud is not available.

A 4222 with Podolski and Walcott, Cazorla on the left and Özil one the right... it can't go any worse than playing Walcott, Podolski or Bendtner alone upfront can it?

Defence is fine and I hope Viviano is good enough for the bench and push for a first team place, just so Sir Chesney doesn't get complacent and performs as he's been performing in recent weeks.

Well done, Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis for turning the summer around and making such a big signing in the end Thumbs up
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 am

so many people don't know the kind of Shite that is about to blow up with our midfield

you don't have to be a Scientist to know that santi-ozil_wilshere partnership is unplayable even for la liga standards
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 am

PS: anyone else been getting good positive vibes lately, all round?

since this deal happened , good shite been happening lately Smile

Looking at the season ahead Today-was-a
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:58 am

No striker no party.

Its a shame we lost Podolski because he would cover until January.

Hoping for no injuries as our depth is really thin atm.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 pm

You touched on several decent points from a tactical and strategic stand point. It's likely we could see most of what you mentioned incorporated as, this season, more than ever, we need to get the best out of our best players.

I just can't help think that Wenger cut a serious corner, and in doing so, looked rather...silly. 42m on Ozil but then looked to bring in Ba on loan. People now shifting to goal post to January being the time where we'll buy another front man. We all know that using our current system, Theo and Pod will struggle, immensely, playing up-top.

However, on a less cynical note, I have been filled with renewed optimism, bizarrely, more than I have ever been in the last 4 seasons.

Have we finally grown up collectively?

Does Ozil's presence assist everyone in finding another gear?

Is this finally a year we can push on and make yearly Ozil-esque signings?

Has the quality gap of our direct competition shortened?

Can we at least make a fight out of becomin EPL champions?

Has Wenger bought himself more time with the Arsenal sceptics, as well as a new contract?

Those are the many questions that need answering, imho, as they're just as important as signing players.

Baring any serious injuries and Wenger picks the right team, getting everyone motivates for the big games, my predictions are as follows:

League:

3rd place finish, behind Chelsea and City. Points margin, marginally more respectable than previous years.

Domestic Cups:

FA Cup semi-finalists
Carling Cup winner

Europe:

We'll make the QF.

COYG!!!
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

not getting a striker was a huge miss, we'll be better than last season but not by much.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Its feels so good having finally bought a superstar.

Not getting another striker could come back and hunt us but Ozil can help with that. Once Podolski comes back, we should be ok until next window.

I am expecting a big season for Giroud and Walcott in front of the goal. FA cup and top 4 would be great season. We need our injured played back, its good we have a 2 weeks break and hope no more injuries.

------------------------Szczesny---------------

Sagna--------Mertesacker ------Koscielny----------Gibbs-

-----------------Flamini------------Ramsey--------------

Walcott--------------------Özil----------------- Cazorla--

----------------------Giroud

Thumbs up :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm

What with Özil coming in, there will be an increased threat of sweet through balls in Arsenal's, erm, arsenal. I wonder if at certain points Theo will get some shots up top again, as well, given that he's just been steadily improving in his finishing and his movement the last few seasons.

Not predicting it will happen or even really advocating that it should happen. But in the absence of a new striker (that's the important context), it seems a possibility worth re-considering.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwame2u Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

No.1 for me is to contribute more to the forum as opposed to lurking as I have been doing these past months.

Just a back up striker required in Jan, in terms of what is lacking.

Anyways, If we could avoid any further long term injuries for the season, quite frankly i see us winning the league. Our team with all personnel fully fit will look more like:

----------------------Szczesny----------------------------

Sagna----------Mert---Koscielny-------------------Gibbs

-----------------Diaby-----Arteta-------------------------

-----------------------Ozil---------------------------------

Walcot--------------Giroud----------------------Carzola

Backups:
RB --> Jenkinson, Bellerin, Ramsey, Flamini
CB --> Vermaelen, Sagna
LB --> Monreal, Vermaelen, Flamini
DM --> Flamini, Frimpong, Wilshere, Ramsey
CM --> Wilshere, Ramsey, Chamberlain, Rosicky, Zelalem, Eisfeldt
AM --> Wilshere, Cazorla, Ramsey, Chamberlain, Diaby, Rosicky, Eisfeldt, Podolski
WA --> Chamberlain, Podolsi, Rosicky, Gibbs, Eisfeldt, Bendtner, Ramsey, Gnabry, Miyaichi
Striker --> Bendtner, Sanogo, Podolski, Walcott, Afobe

Last edited by Kwame2u on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kwame2u
Kwame2u
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Looking at the season ahead Article-0-1B974D5B000005DC-193_306x652
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by timzink Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I think Ozils signing will be interesting for the implications it might have on Jack Wilshere and on the type of football we will play from now on .

I believe that with the signing of Ozil, we will finally be able to discern what role exactly Jack should play in this team . Its clear that the strongest part of his game is his ability to dribble and transition play very quickly and get out of tight spaces . These are ironically strengths Ozil shares to an extent although Ozil exhibits these qualities at a much higher level and is able to do so much more . So what will we see of Wilshere this season particularly in his role in the pivot ? Its going to be intriguing to see .

Also what type of Arsenal will we see, particularly in the big and difficult games . Will we see the post Bayern away Arsenal which is comfortable staying deep and playing on the counter particularly as we have signed a player in Ozil who I believe to be the best counter attacking player apart from Ronaldo in the world . This could potentially be very exciting . Or will we see a return of the Barca lite Arsenal .

I don't want to make any predictions but I think we will beat more big teams this year than we did last year .
timzink
timzink
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Good summary, but tbh I'm going to just go out and say it Man united won the league with a weaker squad then what we have now.... We should aim to win now lol I think we can Giroud is getting better Ozil Cazorla & Walcott beside him what a force this midfield is.

Gemini
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I think we will only get a striker on loan (BA) if something happens to Giroud or Poldi is still short of fitness. I think Wenger will wait until the summer to sign a quality striker as well as another midfielder. I can't see too many quality strikers being available during the January transfer window.

Squad wise I think we are a bit short at the back and up front, Poldi and Theo can do a job there but they can't replace Girouds presence and hold up play. At the back, Vermaelen has been struggling for form and will be coming back straight from injury. You can't expect him to hit the ground running straight away and play well.

We have already shown that we can be consistent. if we improve our performances against teams in the top 3 then we have a chance of finishing in the top 3. We should be aiming to closing the gap between the top 2. After the cup upset against lower league oppositions last year, we should be getting to the semi finals at least.

We need to finish top of our group to avoid a quality opposition like the two last season, I am a bit fed up getting knocked out all the time against the first quality opposition. I know we have a tough group but we have shown in the past that we can beat any quality opposition. I think we should be looking to make the quarter finals at least.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Still have to say that I am in shock over this. Mesut Özil is a Gunner. Still do not think that all our problems were solved in the transfer window, but I am willing to give it a chance. We actually signed a TOP TOP TOP player. I am also not sure that this will be our best lineup long term.

-----------------------Özil---------------------------------

Walcot--------------Giroud----------------------Carzola

I am not sure that Carzola is going to be disciplined enough for the left wing. Currently when he plays there he is never on the wing he is always chasing the ball across the pitch. This problem does get remedied when Ox and Poldi come back though. We will need to have someone on the wing spreading the defense and allowing for Özil to open up them up.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:02 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs/Monreal
Arteta Ramsey/Wilshere
Walcott Özil Cazorla
Giroud

Bench: Viviano; Vermaelen; Flamini, Wilshere/Ramsey, Rosicky; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski;

Our best first team when everyone is fit, in my opinion. This team has serious potential. Of course lack of another striker is evident but I've been thinking about playing a two-striker formation when Giroud is not available.

A 4222 with Podolski and Walcott, Cazorla on the left and Özil one the right... it can't go any worse than playing Walcott, Podolski or Bendtner alone upfront can it?

Defence is fine and I hope Viviano is good enough for the bench and push for a first team place, just so Sir Chesney doesn't get complacent and performs as he's been performing in recent weeks.

Well done, Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis for turning the summer around and making such a big signing in the end Thumbs up
thats our best formation, the only issue here is Ozil work rate and defending. In this team everyone works hard either closing down and tracking back. Ozil work rate and defending is quite arshavninesque. we can't expect him to put a shift in and close everyone down. Rosicky puts a lot of graft on the pitch, he puts the opposition defenders under pressure and goes around snapping into tackles. if he goes we loose some of that work rate and bite when defending in the middle of the park.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwame2u Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 am

ABOU DIABY

Why am i getting the sense that everyone has forgotten about Abou, who will b like a new signing when he returns. He will def add to making our midfield, probably the most formidable in the league
Kwame2u
Kwame2u
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by since1996 Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 am

i actually think for most parts of the season wenger will bring bac 4-4-2 with walcott and Giroud upfront...the other four will be arteta,ramsey,santi and ozil. i've watched a lot of games where he deployed that and he made it look sexy. he is so good at making the best out of an AM and Ozil will flourish
since1996
since1996
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Keep your feet on the ground guys, we still didnt sign the priorities.

Long season ahead, etc

We enjoyed Özil signing, now lets wait and see how he does and how Wenger plans on using him.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Striker is a real problem. Giroud is not an elite striker and if he gets injured you only have crap in Bendtner and unproven in Sanogo. I guess Podolski will be Giroud's substitute when fit.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next