El Gunner
M99
39 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Offical Rap Thread Part 3 - Page 16 Empty Re: The Offical Rap Thread Part 3

Post by M99 Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:55 pm

Will you stop your nonsense.

I got into hip hop more than I got into any other music. I'm not ignorant of 90s or early 2000s hip hop. My favorite rapper of all time is Tupac and my favorite era of hip hop is the 90s. I have spent countless hours hearing 80s artists to 2015 artists, Run DMC, NWA, Tupac, Biggie, Dre, Ice Cube, Nas, Jay Z, Rakim, Big L, Eminem, even shit like Vanilla Ice, Wayne and Tyga. Kendrick is an amazingly talented artist and he would stand out on any era. Fine, you stopped listening after 2004 and that automatically makes every rapper after that shit and Kendrick being the most hyped and loved is obviously extra shit.

This song is a lyrical masterpiece. Sure ROFL your heart out and say better songs were released on a weekly basis on 2002 than this.

http://genius.com/Kendrick-lamar-how-much-a-dollar-cost-lyrics

M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:35 am

Such ignorance. Please tell me what this "good shit" was being released on a weekly basis in the early 00's that's better than "alright & "HMADC" Laughing

LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:41 am

Ja Rule and Fat Joe were releasing better songs on a daily basis right Laughing Yeah, I'm not ignorant on what rap was like then. It's not like Eminem, Nas and Jay Z were releasing masterpiece albums weekly.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:40 am

One of my lowkey fvourites in recent years

2 Chainz is probably my guilty pleasure
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:42 pm

LeVersacci wrote:Such ignorance. Please tell me what this "good shit" was being released on a weekly basis in the early 00's that's better than "alright & "HMADC" Laughing

This is mid 2000s ( which further emphasizes my point considering early 2000s was much better )

Don't make me get my hard drive out and bring up many more, the fact i see M99 bring up Fat Joe being brought up tells me the limited knowledge tbh.

Mainstream Hip Hop has been dead for over 10 years, things like this is less popular but is of much higher quality. Tbh there probably is underground stuff which is good to this day but the mainstream is disgusting but i stopped looking for it a while ago.

The quality of that song you posted is depressing, ignoring the current state of hip hop J.Cole was great before he got a record deal but he's just like everyone else now.

As if anything today compares to this rofl

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:58 pm

That's a great song of course, better than Alright but not better than How Much A Dollar Cost. Trust me, my knowledge of hip hop is not limited at all. I said it before, I've listened 80s hip to 2015 hip hop. I know the difference between real rap and mainstream sellouts. I have listened to legends and I have listened to mainstream shitmouths Kendrick is an amazing rapper who would stand out on any era, he released one of the greatest hip hop album of all times and that's not only because standards have fallen to an all time low, that album is a real masterpiece. He is a great rapper lyrically and being a part of Aftermath is blessed with great beats on his song.

These songs are amazing. Period. Comparitively, Kendrick holds up with a lot of great rappers from the past. Just because he is hyped and loved by the majority on 2015 does not make him shit and inferior to his peer ten, twenty years ago.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:17 am

'Alright' is a summer banger whereas HMADC is a masterpiece. Yes the song is good but not better than HMADC. Boring rapper with no charisma, cringe flow but the lyrics is 10/10.
Dance with the Devil is a classic song i'm not gonna lie. But calling Kendrick shit is ignorance when he got 2 critically acclaimed albums where his latest album is the best rated hip hop album of all time & 4th highest rated of all time. The guy is a future legend that'll be compared as one of the goats along with Pac, BIG, 3k, Eminem & Nas.

Yes 90% if not more of the mainstream hip hop is straight garbage. Though there's few like K-dot & J.Cole who is the opposite and is funny enough leader of the new school along with Drake.
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:20 am

You have become so thirsty for real hip hop that you actually believe it. Because i listen to that and there is no way in hell it compares.

I'm not just hating for the sake of it, believe me i'd love nothing more for Hip Hop to actually to be good again but the sad fact is it isn't. Do you think i enjoy listening to the same songs 100 times over lol?

It just doesn't compare to thinks like MF Doom and Deltron 3030 and i could name many more, if you think i mean there was mainstream hip hop songs coming out every week that were better you are confused.

Of course not, mainstream hip hop has been low on quality since the 90s.... over the years as a whole you get enough to listen to and say it's better but i'm talking about the stuff which haven't got a million views on Youtube.

That sorta quality was released consistency, you just have to find it. If i just listened to things which are on MTV over the years i would have missed out on the real quality stuff.

You are entitled to your opinion but i listen to it and i don't feel the same way that i feel about songs i love.... mainly because hip hop has lost it's true meaning, the art of storytelling. I used to be able to get lost in the story they are telling because that's what it was about.

The beat is nice and so is the flow, but it lacks the most important element to what made the golden age so great. When you listen to Biggies "N*ggas Bleed" you get engrossed in the story he's telling and you end up relating to it even if you didn't grow up in nothing like that environment.

Now i have explained my point of view, i won't troll his songs anymore but i will admit he has succeeded at one thing.... even if i didn't like the song it has made me go back and listen to some of the stuff i haven't done for years.

Who knows i might even find some stuff which is actually worthy of my ears hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 am

LeVersacci wrote:But calling Kendrick shit is ignorance when he got 2 critically acclaimed albums where his latest album is the best rated hip hop album of all time & 4th highest rated of all time.

Rated by who?

The guy is a future legend that'll be compared as one of the goats along with Pac, BIG, 3k, Eminem & Nas.

We'll see when he retires but I highly doubt he'll reach that status.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 am

Also his album being rated when there is literally nothing else to listen to means *bleep* all to me and in general it means nothing.

It's basically the equivalent of RG saying John Cena is teh GOAT.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 am

Nah man Kendrick is already a GOAT.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 am

It's funny you are talking about storytelling, Kendrick is a fantastic storyteller. His album good kid maad city is basically a short film lol about life in Compton. His second album tells a story too. How Much A Dollar Cost tells the best story I have heard since Stan.

Up until this point in the album, Kendrickā€™s been plagued by Lucy (Lucifer) & Uncle Sam. On his road to recovery, he runs into a a homeless man at a gas station in South Africa.

He tells the story of a man (who he thinks is a crack addict) asking for 10 Rand (apprrox $1 USD). Initially Kendrick says no and feels resentment as the man who continues to berate him. After asking if heā€™d read Exodus 14, Kendrick begins to feel guilty and sympathetic towards the man.

His selfishness, to which he attributes his success, eventually comes out most in his interactions with the homeless man. At that point, the man reveals himself to be God ā€” his selfishness & unwillingness to give the homeless man a dollar has cost him his place in Heaven.

Kendrick then repents in the outro, asking God for forgiveness. Itā€™s only now heā€™s free of Lucy & Uncle Sam ā€” he had to be humbled to be humble. Pointing out that the figurative value of a dollar is far higher than the literal value of a dollar.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of his library. Pretty sure you did not listen to the song, this Money Trees or Blacker The Berry. The reason I love Kendrick so much is because of his GOAT storytelling ability.

I'm in no way thirsty of real hip hop lol. I can differentiate real rap artists from the shit ones. As yes I do know very well about MF Doon and Deltron and I can say with confidence Kendrick is better than them.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:36 am

I have listened to more than enough of his songs to be aware of his ability, it's miles better than anything else around that i'm aware of but it just doesn't compare to what i grew up with.

Pretty damn sure it's been so long since real hip hop that it's getting overrated.... same happened Drake, don't think i don't remember the wankfest around him even though it wasn't real hip hop particularly. Put it side by side against the GOATs and it doesn't compare.

I can't get away from the Cena comparison lol, easily the GOAT of his era but put him against real competition and he's nothing.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Also his album being rated when there is literally nothing else to listen to means *bleep* all to me and in general it means nothing.

I will not bite

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:41 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Also his album being rated when there is literally nothing else to listen to means *bleep* all to me and in general it means nothing.

Again with this. So you are saying people are overrating it because standards have fallen? I have listened to the very best hip hop albums of all time and To Pimp A Butterfly holds up. A deep exploration of black culture, tackled racism issues along with self critique, had great storytelling and production values, lyrically very strong, it was plain and simple a timeless masterpiece.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am

The gaming threads tells me you underrate the past though hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:47 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I have listened to more than enough of his songs to be aware of his ability, it's miles better than anything else around that i'm aware of but it just doesn't compare to what i grew up with.

Pretty damn sure it's been so long since real hip hop that it's getting overrated.... same happened Drake, don't think i don't remember the wankfest around him even though it wasn't real hip hop particularly. Put it side by side against the GOATs and it doesn't compare.

I can't get away from the Cena comparison lol, easily the GOAT of his era but put him against real competition and he's nothing.

Forgive me, but I doubt you listened to a lot of his songs. You just said his flow and beats are all right but lacks storytelling when storytelling is what made him stand out in the first place among other rappers. Besides, I do vividly remember you boasting in chat about you being proud to hear none of his songs. And I grew up around the same music you grew up too, and I can say that Kendrick is one of the few who compares to it and in most places surpasses it.

And that Cena comparison makes no sense. It's not like Kendrick is being shoved down our throats by higher ups/executives because women and kids jam to him. Lmao that literally is Drake Laughing The Cena comparison 100% applies to him.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:The gaming threads tells me you underrate the past though hmm

Or maybe I don't let nostalgia cloud my judgement Wink I do agree with you completely that hip hop was miles better in the past but I say if Kendrick was around then, it would not be like he would be overshadowed. good kid maad city and To Pimp A Butterfly would stand out there too. He is on his way to become one of the GOATs, two fantastic albums, it's going to be a long road but he is well on his way.

He is CM Punk imo :coffee:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 am

I never said i haven't listened to his songs, more that i don't go out of my way to listen to it because i have heard enough to suggest to me that isn't worth my time because over 2tb of old school hip hop which is better hmm

I have obviously listened to new Hip Hop since say 2010 but i don't go out of my way to find new songs because for too long it wasn't any better than what i already have.

Also i didn't say his storytelling was crap, i was comparing it to what i have grown up listening to and it doesn't compare in my opinion.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:07 am

Does not even compare...

I say it compares with the very best hip hop has ever had after the fantastic stories he put out as albums twice in a row. It compares with the GOAT storytellers of hip hop and is better than most rappers's of any era.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:10 am

M99 wrote:Does not even compare...

I say it compares with the very best hip hop has ever had after the fantastic stories he put out as albums twice in a row. It compares with the GOAT storytellers of hip hop and is better than most rappers's of any era.

Agree with this and it's not even a debate tbh.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 am

3 pages of debate say otherwise hmm

Anyway you are all wrong tbh.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 am

I've been out of the loop of the rap game for quite a long time (2005~) but KL really is talented, he's one of the few who's reignited my passion for the genre over recent years (Kid Cudi as well, among a few others). Nowadays i'm just a passive listener, i don't go hunting for tunes or stuff. I just try to keep up to date with a select few rappers.

Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:02 pm

looooool all this constant comparing of eras. I can't stand older generation people hating on new stuff. You can go ahead and say you appreciate the older stuff more and that it is your opinion that those stuff were better. But don't go and hate and degrade the stuff coming out now.

I grew up to 00s Eminem, Jay, 50, Ja Rule and some classic 2Pac because my uncle was a big fan. 95% of it was mainstream because I listened to it on tv. Only since 2012 have I really grown to start disliking mainstream music, and started to find the likes of a young Kendrick Lamar (not mainstream yet), Kid Cudi and started listening to more of the earlier stuff of Em, Kanye, Nas, etc those of their stuff that weren't mainstream in my childhood.

The takeover of pop music in the early 00s and all the other mainstream stuff however, will always be a big part of my life. Because that's the stuff people around me listened to and I also grew to up to, and naturally they come with nostalgia and memories. That's why I totally understand 80s-born and early90s born people if they go on about how great the music quality was in that time - because they grew up to it and made memories to it. You can do that all you want but don't start talking down on to current eras. Music like most things in life evolve and styles and likings change from generation to generation.

And evolutions in music don't take such a long period of time mind. For instance, I'm 18 and most of you here are between 21-26, that's a difference of 3 years to 8 years at most. Not such a huge difference when you consider the official generation gap being 25 years. When I was young we were in the pop age and now techno/electro-house genre is becoming more prominent. And music is music, so it doesn't come as a surprise if distinct genres like hip hop become influenced by the leading/prominent genre in music of its time. And tbh, you can hear that in the style of hip hop that has changed over years (whether it be in the beats, lyrics, etc)

Everyone has their own tastes and each person grows up to their own different set of music and that undoubtedly becomes to define the taste that the person likes. Appreciate that, and gloat about how great your childhood stuff was, but don't go around and hate on other people's likes.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:16 pm

You are missing the point mate.... but besides this conversation ended 16 hours ago hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:You are missing the point mate.... but besides this conversation ended 16 hours ago hmm

No, I ended it. :coffee:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next