Can we stop proclaiming players world class after they play good for like 6 months? it's getting embarrassing

+26
Nishankly
the xcx
Doc
Lupi
El Gunner
McLewis
Ion Creanga
Vibe
dronte
Hapless_Hans
MJ
Pip
M99
Freeza
Art Morte
Donuts
Valkyrja
chad4401
Kick
Tomwin Lannister
EarlyPrototype
Great Leader Sprucenuce
izzy
The Franchise
Kaladin
Mr Nick09
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Can we stop proclaiming players world class after they play good for like 6 months? it's getting embarrassing - Page 2 Empty Re: Can we stop proclaiming players world class after they play good for like 6 months? it's getting embarrassing

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

RIP Nick.

Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Can we stop proclaiming players world class after they play good for like 6 months? it's getting embarrassing - Page 2 Empty Re: Can we stop proclaiming players world class after they play good for like 6 months? it's getting embarrassing

Post by McLewis Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Ion Creanga wrote:
McLewis wrote:Not a bold statement at all. It's fairly common knowledge that Marcos is one of the best defenders in his age group. He has been for several years now. His time at Roma proved that, despite such an awful defense around him.

I assume you're of the lot that subscribe to judging defenders based purely on their physical quality...how fast they can run, how hard they can tackle etc....you would be right if this was the 80s, but defending has changed fundamentally. It's not just about the physical qualities. The best defenders are good in both that area as well as the mental and technical areas. Marcos has the right balance in each of these areas. He can tackle, he's got pace, he can pass out of the back and he knows how to position himself to make interceptions. Possessing all of these qualities and then displaying them consistently well in a top level league is very rare for a defender of his age.

He doesn't deserve to be called "average" because of it, but as many have said, it certainly doesn't make him world class either. That's all I'm saying.
you got me here...

Btw, when i called him average in Serie A it was not an insult.. Playing at a young age at the average level of the league isn't bad, it's rather a compliment... But for me, a special player(who justifies 35 million price tag) is even at a young age better than the average players, look for example at Miralem Pjanic or Ljaic if we are talking about Roma or Pogba at Juve, they're better than most of the players of the mid-table teams, even if those players are experienced.

However, Marquinhos may very well become one of the best players at some point, i'm not saying he couldn't, i'm saying that his price(which was the beginning of the discussion) was unjustified by the qualities shown in his time in Serie A...
As the above poster very well mentioned, defenders take many years to perfect, so paying such a large sum for a very young defender who may become or not a very good defender is most likely an unworthy bet, don't you agree  with that? I mean, ok pay 15 millions, 20 at most.. but 35?  that's a ridiculous sum

I certainly agree that 35m overrates him. Never said otherwise. Look at the PL and how much they pay for some distinctly average players like Andy Carroll though. The market is saturated with inflation in this way. That's why many Roma fans were not all that disappointed to see Marcos go, despite his talent and potential. Roma set his price-tag that high because they knew they had a very rare and special player on their hands. Overcharging was the right move and any other club worth their salt would've done the same. It's not about a player justifying his price-tag anymore on the pitch, it's about how much the club can make off of his sale. It's callous and it's terrible from a sporting perspective, but it's just good business financially and Roma needed that more than anything.

Based solely on that, I would even say 15m is pushing it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Marquinhos is my idol. Laughing

His transfer to PSG is a failure until now... Average player they said? :coffee: Yep
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Donuts wrote:Guess Barca dodged a bullet there Surprised

:facepalm:
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:Marquinhos is my idol. Laughing

His transfer to PSG is a failure until now... Average player they said? :coffee: Yep

He will be leader of Brazil defense just watch
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:03 pm

I always rated Marquinhos and still do lol, he's PSGs best defender now TS has decided to go prime Dinho on himself.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Also not sure how it's been a failure, he was their best defender last season any PSG fan on here can confirm that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:06 pm

opri la genunchi convulsie vlad.he va veni cu siguranță bine o zi , de asemenea, dracu ' PSG
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:09 pm

S wrote:

opri la genunchi convulsie vlad.he va veni cu siguranță bine o zi , de asemenea, dracu ' PSG

rofl Sounds incredibly funny in Romanian!
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:12 pm

S wrote:
Donuts wrote:Guess Barca dodged a bullet there Surprised

:facepalm:

meh treble winners with verminator as our cheerleader and mathieu winning us the classico
i aint mad.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:
S wrote:

În opinia mea , vom atrage Manchester in CL și cred că va fi frumos
Nu pot sa astept Proud
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:15 pm

S wrote:
Vlad the Impaler wrote:
S wrote:

În opinia mea , vom atrage Manchester in CL și cred că va fi frumos
Nu pot sa astept Proud

Mi-ar placea foarte mult!

Anyway, aren't we breaking the rules if we talk foreign language?
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:29 pm

Technically but who cares really. hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Google translate ftw

Always good to see Marcos doing well. Had such a short time with us, but he still very well thought of in Roman circles.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:00 pm

McLewis wrote:Google translate ftw

Always good to see Marcos doing well. Had such a short time with us, but he still very well thought of in Roman circles.

Spoiler:
hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:02 pm

That very one Proud
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next