farfan
Donuts
S
silver
Gil
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Yaya is underrated because he's African - Nasri Empty Yaya is underrated because he's African - Nasri

Post by Gil Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:24 am

Samir Nasri has claimed Yaya Touré is not recognised as the world's best midfielder because he is from Africa, and says if the Ivorian was Brazilian or Argentinian "everyone will talk about him".

Touré scored the equaliser in Manchester City's 3-1 League Cup victory over Sunderland on Sunday, with an impressive 30-yard shot nine minutes into the second half. The goal – which was followed by others from Nasri and Jesús Navas – was Touré's third for City at Wembley, following the winners in both the 2011 FA Cup semi-final and final, and his 17th of the season.

Nasri believes the 30-year-old's display was the latest evidence that he is the best in his position. "I'm tired to talk about Yaya. You should know now [how good he is]. If he wasn't African everyone will say he's the best midfielder in the world," said the Frenchman. "He can do everything, he can score goals, he can defend, he can attack. When he gets the ball he is so powerful.

"You should just admire the way he plays because he's a great player. I might be a little bit biased because he's my friend, but for me he's in the top three of the best midfielders in the world. Of course it counts against him being from Ivory Coast. If he was Argentinian or Brazilian everyone will talk about him, everyone. You have some Brazilians or Argentinians, I don't want to say anything wrong, but just because they are from this country you pay them £40m or £50m.

"A guy like Yaya, he [has] won every trophy, he is always there. Tell me one defensive midfielder who can go forward like him who can score 16 or 17 goals in a season. Tell me one and then we can talk."

Nasri refused to draw comparison with his former France team-mate Patrick Vieira, considered one of the finest midfielders of his generation. "I played with Patrick at the end of his career. I didn't play with him when he was at Arsenal," said Nasri. "OK, I watched every game and I don't know, Patrick was amazing."

The triumph means Manuel Pellegrini's team could still claim a domestic treble. Wigan Athletic, who beat City in last May's FA Cup final, are next up in Sunday's sixth-round tie, and the two league games in hand over the Premier League leaders, Chelsea, plus superior goal difference, mean the six-point deficit could be overhauled.

José Mourinho's side hold no fears for Nasri. "I'm not scared about Chelsea or the league," he said. "There is plenty more to play and everyone is going to have difficult games and if we win our two games we are going to be top of the league. It's better not to talk but to act on the pitch.

"We are there in the league, if we win our two games in hand we will be top with Chelsea. It's going to be tough until the end because Liverpool are still there. And we play Wigan home in the FA Cup and it's going to be a good time to have revenge. After that the semi-final it's at Wembley so we don't have a weird place to play away, it's in one place."

Of his goal against Sunderland, Nasri added: "It's what they pay me for and bring me to the club [for]. It's about time to show them what I can do. Everyone at the club has been amazing with me, believed in me and when you have this feeling your confidence is really high and that's why you want to do good for them."

Agree with Nasri. He's easily the best CM in the World and it's not even debatable, only Ramsey was anywhere near close before he went down.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Yaya is underrated because he's African - Nasri Empty Re: Yaya is underrated because he's African - Nasri

Post by silver Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:32 am

"You should just admire the way he plays because he's a great player. I might be a little bit biased because he's my friend, but for me he's in the top three of the best midfielders in the world. Of course it counts against him being from Ivory Coast. If he was Argentinian or Brazilian everyone will talk about him, everyone. You have some Brazilians or Argentinians, I don't want to say anything wrong, but just because they are from this country you pay them £40m or £50m.

Talking about Fernandinho  :coffee: 
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Yaya is underrated because he's African - Nasri Empty Re: Yaya is underrated because he's African - Nasri

Post by S Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 am

Nah.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:35 am

why is everyone pulling the race card this month..
first that England player who would of been captain if he were white and now this.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 am

Donuts wrote:why is everyone pulling the race card this month..
first that England player who would of been captain if he were white and now this.

that's a continent card, not a race card.

and he's right, brazilian and argentine players get a lot of hype compared to similar players from other countries. just look at all the hype marquinhos got for playing a good half season last year and how little attention someone like benatia got for being one of italy's best defenders for 3 years.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am

I definitely agree with Brazil part...

Their name has to end 'INHO' and automatically will be sold to Europe.

YAYA at Barcelona was on par with Xavi, performance wise, but he was ignored from everyone.

I even remember, junior Busquets giving YAYA instructions to play ffs... that was pathetic.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 am

Highburied wrote:I definitely agree with Brazil part...

YAYA at Barcelona was on par with Xavi, performance wise, but he was ignored from everyone.

I even remember, junior Busquets giving YAYA instructions to play ffs... that was pathetic.

Yaya was on par with Xavi from the bench?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:59 am

But do people really underrate Yaya Toure?  scratch 
I haven't really noticed that. Did / do people underrate Drogba? He's Ivorian, too.

Anyway, if this underrating-because-from-certain-country thing actually happens, it applies to other than African nations, too.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 am

Just go look in the "When Did England Last Produce A Talent" thread if you want a blatant case of underrating due to place of birth

Nasri should just shut her mouth
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:16 am

:facepalm:

Nasri should just stfu forever.

I love Yaya, but who underrates him? Everyone says what he is, one of the best players in the PL.

What more do you want? Which normal person will say...yeah he is clearly above Iniesta, Schweinsteiger and these kinds despite what they done in the CL and so on, for years now.

He could of even said the same shit, without mentioning Africa.

IF he is underrated, its not where he is from..its how City have done nothing in Europe. Maybe if they went further, beat some strong teams and so on it would help him.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:24 am

B.S: Both Drogba and Eto were included in the conversation of best forwards in their best years, and Weah was awarded a Balon' Dor despite not being the best player in his team.

Yaya was never in the same league as Xavi, and Busquetes is arguably better than him for Barca. Not saying Yaya isn't great, it is just that he was never even in the conversation for best midfielder due to their being better ones than himself.

It is even funny that the highest rated midfielders are nowhere from South America these past years and mostly always from Europe.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:
It is even funny that the highest rated midfielders are nowhere from South America these past years and mostly always from Europe.

really ? vidal is getting too much hype imo .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Who underrates him? Most premier league fans dread coming up against him as if he's playing well he'll just bulldoze over their midfield. Only reason he's not talked about when the best of the best are mentioned is because he's inconsistent. Got dominated earlier this season but a bunch of championship players from cardiff then the next game will boss anybody that comes near him.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Some people probably don't even know/care what national team he plays for. If a player is good he'll be rated and in Yaya Toure's case he is rated fine. But it's clear he'd be more prominent if he played for Brazil instead of Ivory Coast obviously.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Yaya is not the best CM in the world ugh.

He's a great player, and he's certainly up there with the best of them but this is getting a bit out of hand.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Obviously I agree 100%. But let's take it back a few years as there are a couple examples of maybe not racism but def Xenophobia.

Spain- I have always said Yaya was a better player than Busquets and not only does he have the silky passing and play making skills needed to play at the club but a force in the box on corners and in midfield when playing the likes of a Mou coached Madrid who are basically out to foul you all game long. HE brought steel to the team that IMO has been very much lacking. Plus again IMO he was a better play maker then Busquets. I never understood why anyone thought the two were even comparable. I know I'm in the minority on this one but it was kind of obvious to me that had Yaya been Spanish he would be in the team and revered as a BArca great.

England- He gets compared to the likes of a Wilshere or Ramsey and many English fans over the years has said they were better. Again it's the same as in Spain, had Yaya been English he would be king of the EPL rated the best player in the league but instead he gets compared to players he is much better then, and I'm not talking about this year alone as people are starting to come around but this has been obvious for the last 2-3 years IMO.

Again, I agree with Nasri but it's not so much Racism but more Xenophobia.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:10 pm

I don't think Yaya is in the top 3 CMs in the world though lol. He bosses EPL midfields, who are generally poor. But when he goes up against the elite midfield in CL, he gets neutralized often. City have played enough good teams in CL where this is not just a couple of games.

For Yaya to get consideration as a top CM, he need to have those dominant and defining moments against the European elite. Once and if that happens, ok then.

Vidal has the same issue btw... he hasn't done it against the European top.

On the other hand, players like Pirlo (in the past), Piggy, Xavi, etc. have done it in the top matchups.

CL, Euro and WC are the places where you establish yourself on the world stage. League is just not enough for me.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:20 pm

For a player of his size and stature, Yaya is quite average defensively.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Except Yaya doesn't boss PL midfields....

He comes up with important goals when necessary but he doesn't boss the midfield.... not even close.

He's a liability defensively, which a lot of teams exploit but unfortunately for them they cannot deal with the Silva and Aguero axis so end up losing the game anyway.

For an example the last time we played them, Tiote bossed Yaya so hard that Yaya had to come off after 50 mins because he couldn't impact the game that Tiote was constantly in his grill.

And there's much better teams than us that do a much better job than us.

If anything he's overrated as he only contributes at one side of the game.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Highburied wrote:I definitely agree with Brazil part...

What the f...?

He was never on par with Xavi. He was one of our best player, but he was not on the same level as Xavi, Iniesta or Messi..

Busquets might have been giving Yaya instruction because maybe Guardiola might have told him to do it. I mean, I Sergi Roberto give instruction to Xavi and Iniesta..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 pm

I don't believe he's underrated . All rate him highly.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Except Yaya doesn't boss PL midfields....

He comes up with important goals when necessary but he doesn't boss the midfield.... not even close.

He's a liability defensively, which a lot of teams exploit but unfortunately for them they cannot deal with the Silva and Aguero axis so end up losing the game anyway.

For an example the last time we played them, Tiote bossed Yaya so hard that Yaya had to come off after 50 mins because he couldn't impact the game that Tiote was constantly in his grill.

Matic also bossed him that time  :bow: 
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Look at the mixed responses on this thread alone ffs. In what way isn't he underrated?

I'd even argue it was racist to play him as a defensive midfielder when he clearly does his best work with the ball at his feet rather than vice-versa. He's been on another level this season since Pellegrini taken the shackles off him.

Can't believe people genuinely believe the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Schweinsteiger, Vidal et al are better than Yaya.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Except Yaya doesn't boss PL midfields....

/thread

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 pm

How is Toure a defensive liability? With his terrific phyisique, monstrous aerial ability, pace, quickness, strength, good tackling and ok positional sense?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next