McAgger
BeautifulGame
iftikhar
29 posters

Page 15 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 38  Next

Go down

Summer of 2014: Part 2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Summer of 2014: Part 2

Post by McAgger Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:08 pm

When I get worked over with some of the players being linked with us this window I just stare at this photo and remind myself we missed out on the title on the last day.

Summer of 2014: Part 2 - Page 15 BtBM6cCIUAAxR9q

McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:CBs are less about players, more about partnerships.

Rodgers wants his CB to play from the front foot and be good 1 vs. 1 defenders....Ideally you want an agressive CB + a sweeper. That's why Skrtel + Sakho partnership didn't work, because both are similar and too agressive. Sakho likes to step up, whereas Skrtel likes to defend more deep.

Lovren, from what I've seen and read, is very much like Sakho at wanting to defend from the front, and not backing down. My guess is BR wants us to squeeze the game against opponents, particularly at Anfield, to deny them space.
Most of us aren't convinced by Lovren as an individual, but can't comment on how a supposed partnership of him + Sakho would work. Also, BR was mad at none of our defenders taking responsibility for organizing the defense (something Carra used to do), and Sakho's English was bad, but Lovren is the organizer type so that's why I think BR is keen.

Also...all Mig, Sakho, and Lovren speak perfect French....so could we see our back 3 all sorting out their communications that way ? hmm

Anyways....It's a gamble of a signing, but obvious one Rodgers has been keen on since start of the window. Guess we'll know if it's a good one or not in a few months. at least, the price isn't TOO ridiculous. Ayre has been negotiating very well this year, kudos to him.

I think that's over-analysing it, who wants to play like what and who speaks what language. You put good players together and they make it work out. I still think our main defensive problem does not lie in the CBs but elsewhere.

Don't call me James wrote:When I get worked over with some of the players being linked with us this window I just stare at this photo and remind myself we missed out on the title on the last day.

Summer of 2014: Part 2 - Page 15 BtBM6cCIUAAxR9q

That is a good reminder of how things could be.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-plan-150million-spending-spree-3892521

The Reds are close to sealing deals for Loic Remy and Dejan Lovren, with Divock Origi set to follow.

This £38.5m triple swoop will take Liverpool’s spending close to the £100m mark and Rodgers has not finished yet after being promised all of the £75m Luis Suarez windfall.

Kolo Toure could join ­Trabzonspor and the Turkish club’s CEO, Burak Gurdal, is in transfer talks with Liverpool.

Vice-captain Daniel Agger could also be heading for the Anfield exit because he is unhappy with his first-team opportunities.

The Danish defender is ­frustrated at making just 20 Premier League appearances last season and knows his prospects could be limited again this term with Lovren joining.

Agger, who is wanted by Rafa Benitez at Napoli, said: “It is no secret that I had ­problems last season and I am considering things. How things turned out last season is not acceptable for me.”

Someone pls confirm the Agger quote and Toure links.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:46 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/daniel-agger-admits-could-consider-7465881
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 pm

I agree with Art and as I also said before. BR has to work out a proper plan so as to make that transition from attack to defense smoother. There were times where our midfielder or FB had done some mistake and sometimes we got saved by Mig but sometimes we did concede. There was always space everywhere when other teams (specially lower table teams at their home) were attacking. It has to be a collective effort from all-MFs, CBs, GK and BR-tactics. That is why I think we should really wait till winter window before we decide whom to sell from current crop of CBs.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm

HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:I agree with Art and as I also said before. BR has to work out a proper plan so as to make that transition from attack to defense smoother. There were times where our midfielder or FB had done some mistake and sometimes we got saved by Mig but sometimes we did concede. There was always space everywhere when other teams (specially lower table teams at their home) were attacking. It has to be a collective effort from all-MFs, CBs, GK and BR-tactics. That is why I think we should really wait till winter window before we decide whom to sell from current crop of CBs.

Molenation
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Na buy another CB, Buying Lovren should make Art happy imo from the PL.

But IF Suarez wouldnt have left, Would we have started with a CB and LB search in the market?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Nishy wrote:Na buy another CB, Buying Lovren should make Art happy imo from the PL.

But IF Suarez wouldnt have left, Would we have started with a CB and LB search in the market?

If we wanted to buy a CB from the PL, Lovren wouldn't even have been my first choice.

If we get him, okay, but I don't think that alone is going to fix our goals-conceded statistic.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 pm

I am not saying 'dont buy Lovren', just saying that wait for 6 months before we sell someone right now. In the half last-season through only, we had discussed this once and I still think the same, buying a WC CB wont solve the issue completely and permanently.

If Suarez wouldnt have left, we would have still signed Lovren Laughing , our committee has a hard on him !!!

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 pm

I think we need a change their, Either remove the mistake prone Skrtel or remove the injury prone Agger.

We need to be ruthless.

Wouldnt mind if Lovren replaces Toure in the squad.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 pm

*Isco* that's it full stop for me!!  hmm 
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Vidal, Benatia or Reus IMHO.

Edit: Wont get Reus, Maybe Strootman if not Vidal.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 am

Official: Andre Wisdom has joined West Brom on a season-long loan deal from Liverpool.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtIvLeLIYAAQFCw.jpg
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

finally one defender is less in our squad, such a relief really!!! I hope he helps them avoiding relegation

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am

I hope Wisdom will be a starter at RB, I guess he will since Billy Jones moved to Sunderland.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
As reported in the Spanish media today, Liverpool are in for Atletico Madrid's Javier Manquillo. Hoping to get him on a season long loan.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Paul Wilkes provides the lowdown on the 20-year-old right-back reportedly heading to Arsenal...

The 60-second story When Atletico Madrid's controversial president Jesus Gil closed down Los Rojiblancos' youth academy in 1992 to save money, it had an immediate negative effect. A 15-year-old by the name of Raul joined cross-town rivals Real Madrid, and became one of the greatest strikers in history. Luckily, the youth system was reformed in time for Fernando Torres to progress through the ranks. Now there's a group of exciting prospects hoping to find regular first-team football at the Vicente Calderon, some of whom will be sold before reaching their full potential.

FACT FILE Date of birth: May 5, 1994 Place of birth: Madrid, Spain Position: Right-back Height: 5ft 9in Clubs: Real Madrid (youth), Atletico Madrid; 17 apps (14 starts), 0 goals National: Spain U20; 7 caps, 0 goals Honours: Copa del Rey (12/13), La Liga (13/14), U19 Euros (2009)

Oliver Torres, Saul Niguez and Jose Gimenez are joined by Javier Manquillo in hoping to follow midfield playmaker Koke into the starting line-up. Full-back Manquillo, however, has done a reverse-Raul having left Los Blancos to join Atletico. The defender was part of Spain's Under-19 squad that won the European Championship in 2012, and his career under Diego Simeone was beginning to take flight until a nasty collision with Cristiano Ronaldo in February's Copa del Rey semi-final put him in a neck brace for a month. Why you need to know him Manquillo is expected to be back-up for Mathieu Debuchy at Arsenal next season, with the Gunners currently negotiating a season-long loan.

The 20-year-old has played just six La Liga matches for Simeone's team, but has featured more regularly in the cup. Nevertheless, in his few outings Manquillo has proved himself to be a reliable and dependable player who doesn't instantly stand out from the crowd. He does the simple things well and is careful not to over-elaborate. In terms of style he is closer to an Alvaro Arbeloa than a Jordi Alba. His 14 tackles in only three league appearances last season was an exceptionally high amount. He is adaptable and can play on the left if required, like fellow countryman Cesar Azpilicueta. When David Villa surprisingly made the move to Los Rojiblancos for a small fee from Barcelona last summer, Manquillo was one of three players that the Catalans wanted first option on. There remains some doubt to the actual terms and conditions, but the fact they are paying attention shows his pedigree.

The player needs minutes on the pitch to aid his development, with the FA and League cups giving him the perfect opportunity to showcase his talent. Strengths Manquillo isn't your stereotypical Spanish full-back. Unlike many of his fellow professionals, he prioritises defending above the art of attacking. His positional sense is excellent, and by scarcely venturing forward he is rarely caught out. For a relatively small player (5ft 9in) he is superb in the air with a tremendous leap. He likes to play short passes and will give the ball to more creative figures, rather than trying anything spectacular himself. Meanwhile, his understanding of the game, athleticism and strength means he could be used as a centre-back. Weaknesses As attacking full-backs offer width and are now a modern necessity, this is an area in which he can increase his proficiency. His crossing is particularly poor, but by playing within the right team and tactical setup these problems can be negated. Any improvement in the attacking third shouldn't come at a cost to his natural game or defensive stability. As with many young players he needs to improve his concentration, which will come with more game time. They said... "Manquillo is growing and coming off a major injury," said Atleti boss Simeone shortly before the end of the campaign. "He does not play much, but he has the freshness of of a young guy who can give us things."

TALENTSPOTTER RATINGS Shooting 4 Heading 7 Passing 7 Tackling 8 Pace 8 Dribbling 6 Creativity 4 Work-rate 8

Did you know ? Javier is a twin. When Real Madrid's youth co-ordinator of the time, Ricardo Gallego, informed brother Victor that he was no longer required, Javier felt the emotional ties to his brother were too strong to stay on his own. Victor joined Atletico with Javier, who now plays for Rayo Vallecano as a striker. What happens next If Manquillo's transfer to the north London side goes through, the Spaniard will get at least 12 months with Arsene Wenger's nurturing skills. The Frenchman will then assess the youngster's betterment and decide if he wishes to make him a permanent fixture at the Emirates Stadium. Only time will tell where Manquillo's long-term future remains, but he is equipped to compete at the biggest clubs. Atletico's financial position means they are always looking to cash in on players every year, but knowing when to release them for maximum profit is the key.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...know-about-javi-manquillo#bdBksYC6jMKjWdlk.99

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Liverpool are pursuing a deal to sign Atletico Madrid full-back Javier Manquillo.

The Reds are hoping to secure the services of the 20-year-old Spain youth international on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent transfer.

Manquillo has also attracted interest from Arsenal but the Gunners have so far been unable to reach an agreement.

The ECHO understands a deal to take Manquillo to Anfield remains some way off with talks still an early stage.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/javier-manquillo-liverpool-fc-reds-7476406
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Spoiler:
hmmm...loan deal seems to be a good choice!!!

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Why are we getting a 20 year old with 6 professional apps under his belt on a loan lmao? We are outrageously hilarious.

What's wrong with giving chances to much more experienced Flanagan/Wisdom/Kelly or an up-and-coming McLaughlin, all of who are defensively more sound than this guy?
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:53 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Why are we getting a 20 year old with 6 professional apps under his belt on a loan lmao? We are outrageously hilarious.

What's wrong with giving chances to much more experienced Flanagan/Wisdom/Kelly or an up-and-coming McLaughlin, all of who are defensively more sound than this guy?

What makes them more defensively sound than Manquillo? From most reports and metrics he's quite good defensively, and still very young. If he develops well he could outshine all the RBs at Liverpool and if you want the best team possible you should consider all options not necessarily just homegrown ones.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Manquillo to be loaned to Liverpool for 2 years according to MD, includes €6m purchase option and a buy-back clause for Atleti.

Strange deal if the buy back option is correct.Either Johnson is off or the buy back option is very high
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:55 pm

El Cujo wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:Why are we getting a 20 year old with 6 professional apps under his belt on a loan lmao? We are outrageously hilarious.

What makes them more defensively sound than Manquillo? From most reports and metrics he's quite good defensively, and still very young. If he develops well he could outshine all the RBs at Liverpool and if you want the best team possible you should consider all options not necessarily just homegrown ones.

You can't convince me that a youngster who has just half a dozen professional appearances and moving to a much more competitive league will be defensively better than Flanagan, Wisdom, Kelly, etc. On top fo that, from what I've read so far, he is defensively pretty bang average. Fans in general have this terribly tendency of always finding the grass greener on the other side.

We desperately need an RB and an experienced one at that, someone who can permanently oust Glen Johnson out of the team.

Anyways, this seems to be only a loan so financially no damage is done. But what a pointless signing. Just because we have funds to spend now doesn't mean we should splash it on every other half-decent guy we find on the market. We're opting for quantity over quality which particularly disgusts me.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:02 pm

typical FSG buy, what is so new in that hmm
So it seems like BR hates GJ and we want to kick him for once n all, who knows and Kelly also probably is just waiting for someone to bid

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:13 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:You can't convince me that a youngster who has just half a dozen professional appearances and moving to a much more competitive league will be defensively better than Flanagan, Wisdom, Kelly, etc. On top fo that, from what I've read so far, he is defensively pretty bang average. Fans in general have this terribly tendency of always finding the grass greener on the other side.

We desperately need an RB and an experienced one at that, someone who can permanently oust Glen Johnson out of the team.

Anyways, this seems to be only a loan so financially no damage is done. But what a pointless signing. Just because we have funds to spend now doesn't mean we should splash it on every other half-decent guy we find on the market. We're opting for quantity over quality which particularly disgusts me.

Seems a bit pessimistic. This guy will not play if he's not good enough...it's pretty simple. He provides more competition for a position in which we badly need someone to step up. Obviously Johnson will get the benefit of the doubt, but if Manquillo comes in and plays like gangbusters he will get the majority of the starts (and the same goes for Flanno). Seems like you're just angry for the sake of being angry. This doesn't affect other transfers, and it doesn't hurt the team. It's a no-risk, high-reward type move that we should be getting used to. And I don't know if he's better defensively, but it's not my job to convince you. It's his. Just because he hasn't featured a lot though doesn't mean he isn't a better player, or can't be.

What quality is out there that we could have bought that is better than what we've brought in? Again, Liverpool already has a very quality and meshed team. The truth is Liverpool was severely lacking in depth last year...we badly need it this year and it's something that is being addressed now and for the future. There's also some really big potential in a few of our signings.

There's nothing really to be angry about. The only concern so far is that they've been unable to really get a quality leftback, but maybe they feel Enrique or Flanagan are ready?
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Also MD article mentions that we had agreed a loan deal in January window but Simone cancelled as he needed cover for Juanfran.

So it seems a long term target for BR
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 38  Next