sportsczy
The Franchise
farfan
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

rivaldo vs zidane - Page 3 Empty Re: rivaldo vs zidane

Post by LeSwagg James Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm

sportsczy wrote:  Zidane was considered the best from 1997 until 2004.

calmthefxcka bro

LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Schmeichel (ex-Man United): "Most dangerous striker I faced? Definitely Rivaldo - one season he scored six goals in three games against me!"

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:16 am

Franz Beckenbauer wrote:Zidane is one of the greatest players in history, a truly magnificent player.
Every player makes these sort of remarks my friend, doesn't really answer much though.

Strange comparison honestly since I never at any point in my life asked myself "who is better?". We are talking about two legends whose ability on the ball and off of it were just amazing. So on a truly bias note, Zidane would win it for me but only because Rivaldo played for Barcelona and Zidane for Real Madrid. I found both to be amazing players when I were young(er).

Rivaldo was certainly God damn better than Kaka though...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:18 am

sportsczy wrote:Zidane was considered the best from 1997 until 2004.
sportsczy wrote:At his peak, he was 2-3 levels better than Rivaldo too.
sportsczy wrote:Rivaldo was fantastic.... but he was basically Kaka.
sportsczy wrote:Only reason Zidane didn't win it in 1999 was that he started slow after all the WC celebrations (like most WC winning players) and then got injured.

What the *bleep* is wrong with you?

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:34 am

The adoration that Zidane had received in the latter stages of his career and post-retirement is unbearable. This is a guy who's reputation robbed not one, not two, but three World Player of the Year awards from far more deserving players.

Between 1997-2001, I'd say Zidane was the 3rd best footballer around. I'd put Rivaldo and Luís Figo far ahead of him at club level, Rivaldo just behind Zidane at international level.

Unbelievably overrated footballer.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:03 am

If this was a pick up game and I had to pick one I would say Zidane. He was a general on the field and in his prime he was genuinely a notch above every one else.

Having said that Rivaldo is no slouch. That guy was a beast in his prime and one of Brazil's best ever players.

Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:13 am

97-99 Ronaldo was the best lol. Not Zidane, not Rivaldo, not Figo.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:18 am

Valkyrja wrote:97-99 Ronaldo was the best lol. Not Zidane, not Rivaldo, not Figo.
agreed.
and not because I am unbiased about it :coffee:
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Lol, ronaldo 96-99. Unquestionably. Until the injury happened.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:21 pm

How many matches did Ronaldo play from 1999-2001? Around 50 or so, his injuries were the reason I left him out of that. Rivaldo was consistently brilliant from 1997-2001, as was Figo. Figo's best form coincided with Rivaldo's and they both were brilliant in the international tournaments at the turn of the millennium (Copa América 1999, EURO 2000).

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:34 pm

He played around 20 matches between 99-02. but you can't say that between 97-01 Figo and Rivaldo were that best because between 95-99 Ronaldo was heads above everyone. 99-01 yes.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Didn't Del Piero arguably had a better season than Ronaldo in 97 and 98?!

Also, over hyped. The word you are looking for is over hyped Pippo. Saying Zidane was overrated is completely and utterly disrespectful.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:01 pm

1997-2001 is a period of five seasons. Ronaldo was only fit for 50% of that period. It was a period of brilliance, but clearly not so much better than Rivaldo's or Figo's over five seasons. Just as a comparison over club level:

Rivaldo - 248 matches
Figo - 245 matches
Ronaldo - 132 matches

Both Figo and Rivaldo were consistently brilliant over those five seasons. In Figo's case, he won a World Player of the Year award in 2001 and was robbed of one in 2000. He was the most outstanding player of the 1999-00 Champions League as well, another award that was not awarded to him.

From 1996-1998, Ronaldo was undoubtedly the best. But extend that period and there are others ahead, in my opinion.
Doc wrote:Also, over hyped. The word you are looking for is over hyped Pippo. Saying Zidane was overrated is completely and utterly disrespectful.
When someone says that Zidane was 2/3 levels ahead of Rivaldo, it is a clear case of someone overrating Zidane.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Doc wrote:Didn't Del Piero arguably had a better season than Ronaldo in 97 and 98?!

clearly not.

Besides Del Piero was a ghost in France 98 ( eh , I can remind it well ) while Ronaldo led the Brazil in final.
but unfortunately for Selecao he was not fit for France-Brazil and so they lost badly.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Pippo wrote:1997-2001 is a period of five seasons. Ronaldo was only fit for 50% of that period. It was a period of brilliance, but clearly not so much better than Rivaldo's or Figo's over five seasons. Just as a comparison over club level:

Rivaldo - 248 matches
Figo - 245 matches
Ronaldo - 132 matches

Both Figo and Rivaldo were consistently brilliant over those five seasons. In Figo's case, he won a World Player of the Year award in 2001 and was robbed of one in 2000. He was the most outstanding player of the 1999-00 Champions League as well, another award that was not awarded to him.

"robbed" is a huge overstatement .

it's not like zidane had this little tournament called " Euro 2000 " where he guided france all the way to the final by scoring or assisting pretty much every single decisive goal Rolling Eyes

figo , for all his " outstanding " performances, didn't win shit that year if my memory didn't fail me .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Robbed is the word. Zidane had a poor season in 1999-00, Figo had arguably his best ever. Figo was the best player of the 1999-00 Champions League and he had a great EURO 2000.

Zidane robbed the award in 2003 from Henry as well. Even at international level, Henry was great for France when Zidane sat out the Confederations Cup. Not to mention his record-breaking form with Arsenal.

But 1998 is clearly the biggest scandal. How Zidane won it ahead of Ronaldo, mind boggling. rofl

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Zidane had a poor 1999-2000??  R U FRAKKIN SERIOUS!

He was the undisputed BdO frontrunner until he got the red card in CL for a headbutt.  They didn't vote for him for that reason only.

Many....  if not all...  think that the 1999-2000 season was the best in Zidane's career.  He was absolutely dominant, which carried over to the Euro where he was 10 levels above any other player.

Some of you peeps talk directly out of your arse Laughing I know you were too young to have first hand experience... but at least do some research ffs.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:52 pm

By his standards, yes. Compared to the season after that, the next one, and then the one after that, it was a poor one.

Didn't you say that Zidane was regarded as the best player in the world going into the 1998 World Cup? And didn't I prove you wrong before?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that Zidane was regarded as the 5th best player in Italy that season by the media there.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Pippo wrote:Robbed is the word. Zidane had a poor season in 1999-00, Figo had arguably his best ever. Figo was the best player of the 1999-00 Champions League and he had a great EURO 2000.

Zidane robbed the award in 2003 from Henry as well. Even at international level, Henry was great for France when Zidane sat out the Confederations Cup. Not to mention his record-breaking form with Arsenal.

But 1998 is clearly the biggest scandal. How Zidane won it ahead of Ronaldo, mind boggling. rofl

figo was the best player in the CL ? what about raul ? what about mendieta ?  both guided their teams to the final and both recieved uefa awards for their effort ( UEFA midielder of the year and forward of the year , respectively)
meanwhile zidane was the undisputed man of the tournament  at  Euro 2000 .

claiming that zidane robbed figo of anything takes some nerves  tbh , if anything figo robbed zidane of the more prestigious ballon d'or that year  Laughing .

1998 ? biggest scandal ?
what about 2002 ? zidane not even in the top 3 after a stellar season in both  la liga and CL than ended with the double .
funny how this " reputation " you keep talking about didn't even get him to the podium , after what was possibly his best club football season .
ronaldo snatches the BO after playing 3 weeks of football Laughing

you're ridiculously underrating zidane by implying that he didn't deserve any of the individual awards that he got .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Pippo...  I think you have confused the sport.  This is the one with the round ball, not the oval one Laughing

By his standards, 1999-2000 was the best of his career at club level and CY 2000 generally if you include NT... that's according to everyone including Zidane himself Laughing  Wtf r u talkng about Laughing

And you proved yourself wrong about 1998. Zidane was 3rd BdO in 1997 and won it in 1998. How could any person rate him as the 3rd best player in Serie 1 going into WC 1998. You're on my ignore list but i decided to take you off briefly to see what nonsense you were spouting this time. I wasn't disappointed... you know nothing Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:52 pm

With all the forwards and attacking midfielders mentioned here I wonder where players like Maldini, Stam, Schmeichel, Blanc, or Thuram all fall under here.

Zidane and Rivaldo are both players I actually liked (until Rivaldo's Bicycle Kick against Valencia lol) during that era. Personally, I felt as though Rivaldo was the more complete player out of the 2 here. I wouldn't find it far fetched for someone to say Rivaldo was better. It's that close.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm

sportsczy wrote:Pippo...  I think you have confused the sport.  This is the one with the round ball, not the oval one Laughing

By his standards, 1999-2000 was the best of his career at club level and CY 2000 generally if you include NT... that's according to everyone including Zidane himself Laughing  Wtf r u talkng about Laughing

And you proved yourself wrong about 1998.  Zidane was 3rd BdO in 1997 and won it in 1998.  How could any person rate him as the 3rd best player in Serie 1 going into WC 1998.  You're on my ignore list but i decided to take you off briefly to see what nonsense you were spouting this time.  I wasn't disappointed...  you know nothing Laughing

i love how he just made up facts to support his case Laughing

" figo was the best player in the 1999-2000 CL ".

yeah....according to nobody .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

I agree with every word Pippo said. Good poster.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Pippo has 23 years worth of footballing experience and knowledge, he also played alongside Zidane, i don't see anyone else here having a better resume :coffee:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:Pippo has 23 years worth of footballing experience and knowledge, he also played alongside Zidane, i don't see anyone else here having a better resume :coffee:

Proud

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 pm

why aren't we talking about higuain in this thread.. blasphemy
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite