Helmer
Art Morte
iftikhar
19 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Winter is Coming - Page 19 Empty Re: Winter is Coming

Post by Helmer Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:11 am

Lucas is definitely one of the other reasons we have improved defensively. As I had explained in the 3-4-3 discussion thread, 3 at the back plus Lucas are the foundations of our recent good defensive performance.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 am

Last time we lost in the league was Gerrard-Allen 3-0 against United, Lucas has started almost every match since and we've had 80% clean sheets, Not only that we dont have team destroying us in the midfield like they use to during the start, Sure Lucas is a limited player but he was and is what we need right now, Another player who can do this along with more is obviously desirable in this system but right now Lucas is the bestmidfielder we got.

On phone pls forgive
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 am

Natalie Portman wrote:
El Cujo wrote:I think Allen could have done a good job in Lucas' position yes. Gerrard though doesn't have the legs or defensive acumen for it. Honestly. Allen gets so underrated around here.

No he can't. Allen tried to deputize Lucas for ONE game and played instead of him in that role and we reverted to being garbage (3-0 loss vs. Man U).

Allen doesn't have half the aggression that Lucas as for that position. If you analyze the underlying numbers of interceptions, headers won, opposition dispossesed, tackles, etc Lucas is very very close to Matic and Schneiderlin this season whom both are recognized as two of the best in that position. Allen and Gerrard numbers don't even come close to it. Not even close.

Joe Allen is the human pinball. He defines average. That's why no one even cared when he was injured for 1 month or so. He's our version of Darren Fletcher...a couple of months of good form in sea of nothingness and averageness. an average, solid squad player whom no one really cares if he's sold in the summer.

I don't think that's really fair to put on Allen. He was playing with Gerrard in midfield and not playing the same role as Lucas. He didn't have the benefit of playing beside Henderson, and it was our very first game playing the 3-4-3. How did we do last time we had Lucas and Gerrard playing in midfield together? Plus, we probably could have won that game if we had any finish at all, one of the United goals was offside, and I don't blame the midfield for the others.

Don't get me wrong, Lucas has been fantastic since returning to form and playing the no-nonsense holding role, but I think Allen can play well there as a back-up.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Agree with everyone praising Lucas and calling Allen epitome of averageness.

Lucas is showing quality very near his world class form in late 2011.
Allen being able to do the same role as Lucas rofl Best joke I heard all day.

Allen trying to do Lucas' role [click]
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:25 pm

mr-r34 wrote:
Red Alert wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:Disappointed at the lack of business. I'm not confident of getting a Top 4 finish this season. Given the lack of transfer activity definitely says something about management/ownership as well. Sad

Just a tip: Watch your next words in here son. pale

Blaming FSG for this window, FML. You guys think the real world transfer dealings are like Fifa football manager.

What and what?
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 am

Now that the January Transfer Window is closed, I would like a review of this. Please be objective ( :facepalm: ) in your post.

We weren’t expected to make any major purchases during this window. Our poor showing in general and some players in particular during the first-half of the season, have suggested we might be in the market for a goal-keeper, midfielder and a striker. However, there weren’t any available players who could have been an improvement over what we already have. A rumor regarding Asier Illarramendi very late in the window is possibly the only one to note.

However, I was hoping that we will be able to off-load some fringe players (Borini) during this window. That didn’t happen but we did make a reasonable sum out of the sale of Oussama Assaidi.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:44 am

It was mostly a useless window for everyone. Chelsea replacing Schurrle with Cuadrado was OK for them and Man City getting Bony was OK for them, but the rest of the deals in all of Premiership were pretty much just "stacking up" transfers. I don't mind that we didn't sign anyone (but hoping that our CM situation doesn't bite us in the butt).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:"We needed someone to move and fill up the space.
We needed someone, this always is just the case.
Mathew, with one T, Mathew took up the place
Mathew, with one T, Mathew!
Mathew, with one T, Mathew!"

have to say, I'm a little disappointed you did not sign that Brügge goalie, after I already made up the fan chant for him Sad
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:33 pm

I know this is over, but in the future I really hope that Liverpool snap up Wijnaldum and Memphis together. I know Wijnaldum likes Liverpool already and he and Memphis are great pals.

Liverpool should go all out for Memphis regardless. If he ends up at United I'll cry. Real tears.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Do you lot want me to change this to a general transfer rumour thread?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:05 pm

It's sooooo obvious what we'd need in summer. I can tell you already

who will be sold for sure:
Borini, Lambert, Balotelli, Enrique, Jones

who I HOPE will be sold/let go:
Johnson, Lovren, Allen

Who we WILL buy:
A goal keeper, A striker, A central midfielder, A new fullback

Who I hope we buy:
Another central midfielder.

I want our CM options to be Lucas, Can, Hendo, and 2 others next year, so I don't shit my pants when Lucas goes down injured like he did on Saturday.

FM posting style:
Sell
Borini (7M)
Balotelli (10M)
Lambert (2M)
Enrique (3M)
Jones (Free)
Johnson (Free)
Lovren (10M)
Allen (10M)
Wisdom (3)

Total: 45M

Buy/return:
Origi (return from loan)
Ilori
Pjanic (25M)
Aubamayeng (10M)
Milner (Free)
Goalkeeper (6M)
Mustachio (15M)

total: 56M

Squad (That will challenge for the title)

Goalkeepers : Mignolet / (New good goalkeeper)
Defense options: Skrtel, Sakho, Mustachio, Ilori, Moreno, Manquillo, Flanagan

Midfield options: Pjanic, Henderson, Can, Lucas, Milner, Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Ibe

Strikers: Sturridge, Aubamayeng, Origi

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:36 am

^ We were selling Borini already this summer, but he refused to leave, so, we'll see. I don't think Lambert is going anywhere unless he asks for a move himself. I don't see who would be crazy enough to take Lovren, definitely not for 10m. The same goes for Allen. I'm not sure can we get rid of these four.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:40 am

Our squad was supposed to "title challenge" this season. lmao

We need quality.

We have a lot of depth players / players with potential as of right now. We need proven quality.

We should be interested in Milner. He has a lot of PL experience and is well, free. He offers a lot more than Henderson too and can pretty much play him wherever he want he's that versatile. He'd be a great signing as he is class. Quite confident we'll be in for him because he's English too. Smile

Don't think Roma would sell Pjanic, and I doubt Dortmund would let Auba go for that low. They're already going to lose Reus in the summer. We should be all over that btw. We might not get Reus but if he goes to, let's say Barcelona, we can go for a Pedro as his game time would be limited. (Note: Not saying sign Pedro, he's inconsistent from what I've seen but just using him as an example.)

El Cujo wrote:I know this is over, but in the future I really hope that Liverpool snap up Wijnaldum and Memphis together. I know Wijnaldum likes Liverpool already and he and Memphis are great pals.

Liverpool should go all out for Memphis regardless. If he ends up at United I'll cry. Real tears.

Depay is class, but no. The "projects" been going for 3 seasons now. We already have Ibe, Markovic and Sterling who play in his position. And if you want to play him as a "10", we have Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana there. There's no doubt Depay is good, but he'd need consistent game time to improve. Consistent game time we need to give to the likes of Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic and to an extent Lallana to improve.

Wijnaldum won't make it at a top club. His potential is Lallana's level. We need better. I know you have a man crush on him but we need better.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 am

Actually not taking last season as a expectations changer, we were supposed to make the top 4 this season.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:34 am

Forgot to say @ Sepi, apologies.

And that was regards to:

Squad (That will challenge for the title)

His post earlier this season...

Natalie Portman wrote:We'll challenge for the league again and get 80+ points.

Our team is mint. Absolutely mint.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am

Memphis would walk into this team and be first choice every week. Hell, he'd probably be our best player right away. If there's a chance to sign him and we don't then we're idiots.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:45 am

Kick wrote:Do you lot want me to change this to a general transfer rumour thread?
Don't bother. I will start a new thread for next window.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:54 am

from very start, I was saying top 4 should be our priority and that too without even a trophy was fine for me.

Also, I wont sign a new defender, I am sure Lovren is going nowhere because there is no way Ayre and BR will sell the player without giving him a proper chance. We already have Illori and Wisdom coming back and one or two defenders from academy on loan. I will go with what we have for the next season for CB situation.

Full backs also, if GJ leaves, get a RB and I think we should keep Enrique at the club.

Getting Milner would be great, that too for free :bow: We should start poking him from right now.

I would like us to sign a GK.

A CM but who is much more improved than Henderson. Not in terms of defensive contributions like Hendo does but someone who can do much more than our current midfielders in the final third (like that lofted pass from Can to Sterling against Bolton). Someone who can also score goals when our attacking three are having a off day.

I think we should keep Balotelli, in case he is willing to have patience and wait for his chance to prove himself.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19