urbaNRoots
El Gunner
M99
25 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Better Call Saul - Page 3 Empty Re: Better Call Saul

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

M99 wrote:I never thought that Saul Goodman would turn out to be such a sympathetic character. Really felt bad for him. Great acting from Odenkirk.
Well, that's the best way they can do it to justify and emphasise his "breaking bad". But I think you know that already Laughing

M99 wrote:Also Mike's good criminal/bad criminal dialogue basically summed up Breaking Bad.

True true Thumbs up

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Thimmy wrote:
Tomwin Lannister wrote:I would cry tears of joy if Trevor was a recurring character down the line.

LMAO at the big fat guy running away without saying a word at the end of that scene rofl

Steven Ogg, ffs. STEVEN OGG, not Trevor Phillips.

It's awesome that Steven Ogg appeared on the show, but you got my hopes up for nothing. Giving Trevor Philips an integral part in the show would've been beyond awesome, but from the looks of it, it was just a cameo appearance by Steven Ogg Mad

Steven Ogg transcended his own mortal name the moment he became Trevor Phillips

It's like calling Batman Bruce Wayne ffs, only Trevor Phillips was more of a hero.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 pm

I always knew his brother was a POS, *bleep* loving the show.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Is this any good?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Fantastic show. Learning Mike's backstory is by far the best parts of the showfor me.

Can't wait until we see the transformation into Saul Goodman and then get some Gus Fring cameos  cheers  

ps. Chuck is an asshole
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:56 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Is this any good?

Get on it brah.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraVilla Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 am

jeeeez that was a painfully slow episode. Extremely underwhelming season finale.
MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:57 am

That should have been a penultimate episode, good in it's own right but an anti climatic finale.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:02 am

what the hell, what did i just watch?awful episode, second worst after "the fly" from breaking bad

thank God there is going to be another season so they can make up for it
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 am

You seriously didn't like The Fly? GOAT episode. One of their best ones.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:16 am

Was not that bad. But episode 9 should have been the finale. Guess they went the Game Of Thrones and Breaking Bad season 3 route. The penultimate episode is always the big reveal, the finale is the falling action and resolution. Or they they played it safe. This season finale could have served as a series finale, in case the 1st season didn't do well. I know they (AMC) ordered a second season pretty early, but the creators probably wrote the whole season out before they knew that. We know that Jimmy ends up as Saul, you can jump from this episode right into Breaking Bad and it would make total sense.

Rejecting that job offer is Better Call Saul's version of Walt rejecting the money from Gray Matter. The old Gilligan technique of handing the protagonist a deus ex machina just for them to reject it. The moment Jimmy turned back, that was the moment he became Saul Goodman. Some of those scams were GOAT tho Laughing We finally found out why he was arrested for sexual assault and the woman who he lied to about being Kevin Costner. And the origins of the ring that he always wore on BB...never thought that would have such a deep backstory.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1919/9260/original.jpg

Excellent season overall. Good finale. Episode 6 holds up as one of the best TV episodes ever. Season 2 should be even better since Saul Goodman will finally arrive. And I hope Gus arrives too. I think the Mike phone call was the job offer from Gus.

There was a Belize reference too Proud
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:23 pm

It was a good episode but an underwhelming finale definitely. But that finale aside, it was an incredible season - much better than I thought it would be when they announced it first.

Saul Goodman is finally born, Mike is getting criminal jobs, Nacho/Tuco should become more central now that Jimmy turned heel. Next season should be good.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:54 pm

M99 pls. The penultimate episode is the climax in almost all series since at least The Wire and quite possibly before that as well. This came way before GoT or Breaking Bad.

BTW what do you guys make of this series? I've been pretty apprehensive about giving it a shot but I have heard good things.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraVilla Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Its good, well worth the watch. pace is a bit faster than BB s1 aswell.

Season finale was a real let down for me though.
MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:55 pm

BCS is all about how James McGill became Saul, which is why I found it really weird the S1 finale episode was more about how Slippin' Jimmy became James McGill

Strange order, would've been a solid episode earlier in the season.

Was loads of references to other stuff in this Episode though Proud
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:58 pm

If people found it underwhelming, you're not digging deep enough.

This was the breaking point of Jimmy turning to the darkside. Throughout this entire season, we saw him start as Slippin' Jimmy and work his way to becoming Jimmy McGill. To pay Chuck back for taking a chance on him. To make Chuck proud. To prove Hamlin wrong. To catch Kim's eye. To not become Marco on that barstool. To make something of himself.

But after finding out the reveal about Chuck...feeling lower than low...losing his case and worse, his own brother...it broke him down. He loses it with his amazing "Kitty Cat Notebooks for Everybody" monologue and goes back to his roots.

Here he revisits his Slippin' Jimmy and not 10 minutes in falls perfectly back in step with Marco. Skirting the law again. Hasn't missed a beat. Just as good as he always was....if not better. Marco and Jimmy in perfect harmony, making suckers out of 'em all. And then he loses Marco.

Chuck is gone. Marco is gone. Both sides of that coin...both of his brothers...for both there's now this emptiness.

But here comes Kim to save the day! There's hope! Everything might just turn out ok. In yet another brilliant piece of cinematography...we see a shot of Jimmy outside the courthouse...he stops dead in his tracks "Looking East." A perfect profile of what he'd look like on that Kennedy coin. A new dawn. JUST THEN....he feels Marco's pinky ring. A reminder that....ya know what? He just had the best week of his life too.

Why fight this anymore? For who? Chuck? Kim? Hamlin? Maybe. But that rush...that feeling he had with Marco...

Why not both?

And thus, the seeds for Saul have been planted. It's not an ambiguous ending. It's the beginning of Saul Goodman.

I may be reading way too much into their cinematography (but to be fair...they're pretty deliberate with it.) The final shot is of Jimmy driving "west" if you will ...away from the promise of a new path at the courthouse. And we pan down to the exact middle of the road....

He may be straddling the line between Jimmy and Saul...but he's now on his way

Though he exaggerates he is right. This finale was about Jimmy turning into Saul. The entire reason he wanted to be an honest lawyer was for Chuck. And now that he found out that Chuck does not want him to be a successful legit lawyer, he has no reason to become one. He loved being Slippin Jimmy with Marco and Marco's ring at the end reminded him of that. The entire episode came full circle. Personally think it would have served better as a premiere.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:06 pm

finale was garbo
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:26 pm

M99 wrote:
If people found it underwhelming, you're not digging deep enough.

This was the breaking point of Jimmy turning to the darkside. Throughout this entire season, we saw him start as Slippin' Jimmy and work his way to becoming Jimmy McGill. To pay Chuck back for taking a chance on him. To make Chuck proud. To prove Hamlin wrong. To catch Kim's eye. To not become Marco on that barstool. To make something of himself.

But after finding out the reveal about Chuck...feeling lower than low...losing his case and worse, his own brother...it broke him down. He loses it with his amazing "Kitty Cat Notebooks for Everybody" monologue and goes back to his roots.

Here he revisits his Slippin' Jimmy and not 10 minutes in falls perfectly back in step with Marco. Skirting the law again. Hasn't missed a beat. Just as good as he always was....if not better. Marco and Jimmy in perfect harmony, making suckers out of 'em all. And then he loses Marco.

Chuck is gone. Marco is gone. Both sides of that coin...both of his brothers...for both there's now this emptiness.

But here comes Kim to save the day! There's hope! Everything might just turn out ok. In yet another brilliant piece of cinematography...we see a shot of Jimmy outside the courthouse...he stops dead in his tracks "Looking East." A perfect profile of what he'd look like on that Kennedy coin. A new dawn. JUST THEN....he feels Marco's pinky ring. A reminder that....ya know what? He just had the best week of his life too.

Why fight this anymore? For who? Chuck? Kim? Hamlin? Maybe. But that rush...that feeling he had with Marco...

Why not both?

And thus, the seeds for Saul have been planted. It's not an ambiguous ending. It's the beginning of Saul Goodman.

I may be reading way too much into their cinematography (but to be fair...they're pretty deliberate with it.) The final shot is of Jimmy driving "west" if you will ...away from the promise of a new path at the courthouse. And we pan down to the exact middle of the road....

He may be straddling the line between Jimmy and Saul...but he's now on his way

Though he exaggerates he is right. This finale was about Jimmy turning into Saul. The entire reason he wanted to be an honest lawyer was for Chuck. And now that he found out that Chuck does not want him to be a successful legit lawyer, he has no reason to become one. He loved being Slippin Jimmy with Marco and Marco's ring at the end reminded him of that. The entire episode came full circle. Personally think it would have served better as a premiere.

As I said it was a good episode but not a great finale. I understand the episode just fine, that post still doesn't convince me that this was not an underwhelming finale. The monologue with the elder people went for too long, I lost concentration by the time he finished it and I didn't like the exposition in that scene. The last scene aswell, which is supposed to very dramatic just didn't have the effect on me. Compare that with the last scene in Pimento, it doesn't come close.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Bingo scene should've been wrapped up in half the time

And i'm not sure why he would turn down being a partner BEFORE setting up whatever criminal network he has in mind considering

A) He's broke

B) He doesn't know his next step to make money yet
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Pretty good first season overall.
I actually think the season finale was better than that Five-O episode everyone was raving on about. Mike is just old and slow and not that much interesting to me tbh, liked him more in BB, Odenkirk though is much more lively and interesting on screen.

Season one was all about the slow birth of Saul Goodman.

Season rating: 8/10
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Oh and just a thing I noticed today, every episode's title bar episode 5 is one word and ends with an 'o'. Why didn't they do that for episode 5 as well hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Tomwin Lannister wrote:Bingo scene should've been wrapped up in half the time

And i'm not sure why he would turn down being a partner BEFORE setting up whatever criminal network he has in mind considering

A) He's broke

B) He doesn't know his next step to make money yet

That's because he is always Slippin Jimmy at heart. The only reason he wanted to be a legit lawyer is to make Chuck happy and he found out that Chuck does not want Jimmy to be a successful lawyer. Marco's ring reminded him that being a con man is what he loves doing. He had the best week of his life too with Marco. Marco hated working for Standpipes and Jimmy would hate working the Sandpiper too. He does not have the Chuck motivation any more, he has no reason to be a legit lawyer.

I think Saul has a plan. He's gonna work for Nacho. He still has his number.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 pm

El Gunner wrote:Pretty good first season overall.
I actually think the season finale was better than that Five-O episode everyone was raving on about. Mike is just old and slow and not that much interesting to me tbh, liked him more in BB, Odenkirk though is much more lively and interesting on screen.

Season one was all about the slow birth of Saul Goodman.

Season rating: 8/10

Wat

Mike is basically the same character he was in BB Laughing He is the only one who does not ever change.

And episode 5 original name was Jello but they had to change it due to copyright issues.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:16 am

In BB he wasn't as big to the whole story. In BCS his character takes in a more bigger side/piece of the story imo. That's the main difference. In BB he felt like a part time funny old badass.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:28 am

And here he is a full time funny old badass. And not to mention Jonathan Banks for to show of his acting chops in Five-O. He was tremendous, like the episode itself.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51 am

To each his own I guess
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior