BarrileteCosmico
Bellabong
Jonathan28
LeVersacci
RealGunner
40 posters

Page 17 of 43 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next

Go down

GAME OF THRONES - PART 5 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES* - Page 17 Empty Re: GAME OF THRONES - PART 5 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES*

Post by Freeza Tue May 19, 2015 2:51 pm

M99 wrote:Which is exactly the problem. Instead of having her grow into a manipulative, cunning, strong woman who actively plays the game of thrones they have her become a victim again. Third rape of a female main character :facepalm:

The rape is not a freaking problem.

If anything it's more fitting to the overall realism of the show, I can't really see how else it could've turned out for her.

You guys act like the problem came recently, but the fact is Sansa has never been interesting at all.

It's not like she has ever stopped being a victim. She has been a victim of Littlefinger ever since he met up with her. A victim to further his plans.

"Grow into a manipulative, strong woman who plays the game" and Cersei isn't that? So if you get raped you can't be a strong woman again? or even help you on the way to become one?

If anything this rape makes Sansa more of an interesting character and gives the final edge to maybe give her character some characteristics and personality. Now she'll have a burning desire to kill Ramsey instead of just being a piece of wood looking in to the camera with a stoner face.

Maybe it's just the actress' fault... Can't believe GOAT Tye Sheridan has to settle for her in X-men.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

GAME OF THRONES - PART 5 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES* - Page 17 Empty Re: GAME OF THRONES - PART 5 - *NO BOOK TALK - READ THE RULES*

Post by M99 Tue May 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm just gonna quote this.

RealGunner wrote:They could have 100% done the Sansa scene differently.

Last season, the showed us how badass she has become and how she can play the game. Littlefinger has taught her stuff. Now she is back to being season 2 Sansa all of a sudden?

She could have played Ramsay by seducing him. She could have tested her powers and forced Theon to leave. Ramsay would beat her? And what will the people in the north say when they see her bruised lol?

They could have made Theon save her.

That scene was character development for Theon and nothing more. Which makes it even worse.

From reddit

Not many of the responses to last night's episode have considered the ramifications of D&D's choices regarding Sansa's character arc. And I don't mean just with regards to the last scene; I mean the whole season.

1. Sansa and Ramsay consummating their marriage was inevitable, unless it happened a lot later in the season, and Sansa and Theon escaped before anything transpired. Therefore, D&D consciously chose this ending when they decided to write Sansa into the Northern storyline. Furthermore, in a recent interview they claim to have done so because they wanted to feature more of Sophie Turner's excellent acting. Eesh. Instead of marital rape, they could have written that Sansa seduces Ramsay, in the same way Littlefinger instructed her to do to Harry/Ramsay in the book/show. She could have ordered Theon to leave, testing her power and somewhat diffusing the situation. They could have shown Sansa to be silent and resolved during the scene, rather than fearful and crying. Let me be clear, my complaint here isn't about how Sansa acted, because Sansa is a fictional character; it's about how D&D chose to write her reaction to the event.

2. Sansa's character arc is likely being sacrificed for Theon's development. It's clear many people empathized more strongly with Theon in the scene than with Sansa. Likely, Theon will be the one to rescue Sansa. This means Sansa's abuse was introduced into the story so that Theon could have a vehicle for improvement and redemption. It's true that the rape scene is much more traumatic for both parties involved. However, Sansa's character development is not affected by the book's plot in Winterfell. A similar thing happened in their adaptation of the Faith Militant, where the writers felt it necessary to attack Loras for his sexuality in order to characterize the faith as moral hardliners. This could have been accomplished without sacrificing Loras.

3. Sansa lacks agency in the show's storyline. In the show, Sansa has been abandoned by Littlefinger, handed over to the enemy and, since Joffrey and the Mountain are "dead," probably the most sadistic person in Westeros. While she had the gumption to tell Myranda off, that could backfire on her as well. Ramsay clearly holds power over her and Theon/Reek. We don't know how the rest of the season will play out, but it is likely she will continue to be the victim, the damsel in distress, a vehicle for Theon's redemption or Brienne's oathkeeping-complex. She doesn't need to marry the Boltons to reclaim Winterfell, because the Boltons are usurpers, traitors. With her brothers gone, Sansa is the rightful heir to the North.

So, this is about way more than rape. Sure, Sansa can emerge from this event stronger. GRRM has defended his inclusion of sexual violence as a reality of the world they inhabit. However, GRRM does not use sexual abuse as the only source of trauma and growth for female characters. And, GRRM appears to be writing a different path for Sansa, one with more agency and less trauma. I guess we could always be surprised, but if Sansa flirting with Harry is considered "controversial," then I'm betting not.

Rape was not the problem, lol everything about the storytelling last episode was the problem. The rape makes her interesting, so for her to grow as a character instead of sticking to her traumatic life experiences and tutelage under Cersei and Littlefinger, they just have to get her sexually assaulted? Oh and you talk about Cersei but the guy who wrote the episode keeps on insisting it was not rape even though it 100% looked like it.Wow. That's how some oft he writers on this show are. Add unnecessary rape scenes just because...rape
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue May 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Got is a show where the the innocent suffer and the strong die constantly while the wicked do fairly well, then die as well. Its a formula that got repetitive and tiring for me a long time ago.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue May 19, 2015 3:31 pm

"However, GRRM does not use sexual abuse as the only source of trauma and growth for female characters. "

Yeah that's my problem with it. I'd rather have Oberyn raped than dead. Can't stand any of the female characters other than Cercei, Stannis daughter, Melissandre anymore tbh. They're so boring. The whole "All Men Must Die" is the problem with the show overall.

Also why is there this theme of killing all the interesting characters and letting the fodder live? Catelyn and Ygritte were great.

Also the whole rape thing doesn't make sense, you're already mad about what you think is going to happen because of the books. Maybe they actually use this plotline to make more dangerous and interesting.

Sexual abuse made Theon more interesting (dick cut off is kind of sexual abuse).
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Freeza you're wrong, Sansa saved Littlefinger's ass last season in the trial for Lysa's death. That was a great moment for the character where she choose to side with Littlefinger rather than the lords of the Vale because she knew what Littlefinger wants but didn't know what these lords want from her. From that scene we realize that Sansa has the upper hand and can destroy Littlefinger any time she wants, and yet they change her to a victim again just for shock value. That's terrible writing and has no excuses.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue May 19, 2015 3:53 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Freeza you're wrong, Sansa saved Littlefinger's ass last season in the trial for Lysa's death. That was a great moment for the character where she choose to side with Littlefinger rather than the lords of the Vale because she knew what Littlefinger wants but didn't know what these lords want from her. From that scene we realize that Sansa has the upper hand and can destroy Littlefinger any time she wants, and yet they change her to a victim again just for shock value. That's terrible writing and has no excuses.

Shock value? How in the world is that a shock value? It was 100% certain ever since the marriage was arranged. It's Ramsey freaking Bolton, of course he's gonna rape her. If anything it was smart of her imo to not do anything and wait for the right time to strike.

Just don't like her character overall. Which means she'll live. Never once has a character I enjoyed not been killed. R.I.P Jon Snow and Stannis.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 19, 2015 4:09 pm

I can't stop but loving the show tbh.

I agree that Dorne is weak. It's weak how easy Jaime and Brond get inside the water gardens, the sandsnakes are weak and their appearence doesn't match their character (they would need scars and strength... more badass), it was very weak that inside the water gardens there were no guards.... etc.

I agree that the Sansa scene didn't make much sense after the progression she was supposed to be having. I was expecting her to try to seduce Ramsay... Why the *bleep* did she accept Littlefingers proposal then? (Litlefinger said they would turn back if she didn't want to...). Maybe she will put a strong heart with this and start planing the bolton's demise... we'll see.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Freeza wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:Freeza you're wrong, Sansa saved Littlefinger's ass last season in the trial for Lysa's death. That was a great moment for the character where she choose to side with Littlefinger rather than the lords of the Vale because she knew what Littlefinger wants but didn't know what these lords want from her. From that scene we realize that Sansa has the upper hand and can destroy Littlefinger any time she wants, and yet they change her to a victim again just for shock value. That's terrible writing and has no excuses.

Shock value? How in the world is that a shock value? It was 100% certain ever since the marriage was arranged. It's Ramsey freaking Bolton, of course he's gonna rape her. If anything it was smart of her imo to not do anything and wait for the right time to strike.

Just don't like her character overall. Which means she'll live. Never once has a character I enjoyed not been killed. R.I.P Jon Snow and Stannis.

Well if you don't like her that's fair enough, but just speaking from a neutrals perspective... Sansa's arc at the beginning has been of a little girl who 's living in a harsh world getting her little dreams completely destroyed. Then from S2-S3 we see her growth, she uses her 'lady's courtesy' to survive in the reign of King Joffrey and in the meantime listens/learns from the great players of Westeros. Finally in S4 we see the payoff in the Vale, she plays Littlefinger/Lysa and the Lords of the Vale.

Now in S5, we went backwards to her S2 arc, where she is a victim again being pawned around. If we compare, it would be like having Jon become Lord Commander only to be bitched around by Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne. No, instead Jon chops Slynt's head off and gains Alliser Thorne's respect, that's character growth while what they did with her is shit.

No doubt, you're right that the bedding had to happen after agreeing the marriage but why didn't they have Sansa try to charm him, seduce him before, atleast she wouldn't be a bystander like Littlefinger told her in E3. No they had to have Ramsay rape her so we can talk about it all week until the next episode. That's cheap and we're not used with cheap in Game of Thrones, that's why the outrage.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 19, 2015 4:24 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Freeza wrote:

Well if you don't like her that's fair enough, but just speaking from a neutrals perspective... Sansa's arc at the beginning has been of a little girl who 's living in a harsh world getting her little dreams completely destroyed. Then from S2-S3 we see her growth, she uses her 'lady's courtesy' to survive in the reign of King Joffrey and in the meantime listens/learns from the great players of Westeros. Finally in S4 we see the payoff in the Vale, she plays Littlefinger/Lysa and the Lords of the Vale.

Now in S5, we went backwards to her S2 arc, where she is a victim again being pawned around. If we compare, it would be like having Jon become Lord Commander only to be bitched around by Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne. No, instead Jon chops Slynt's head off and gains Alliser Thorne's respect, that's character growth while what they did with her is shit.

No doubt, you're right that the bedding had to happen after agreeing the marriage but why didn't they have Sansa try to charm him, seduce him before, atleast she wouldn't be a bystander like Littlefinger told her in E3. No they had to have Ramsay rape her so we can talk about it all week until the next episode. That's cheap and we're not used with cheap in Game of Thrones, that's why the outrage.

+1 :clap:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

I just couldn't see how Ramsey would fall for being charmed after that whole set-up with Myranda telling how he gets bored easily. Rape was inevitable. It had been set-up for the whole season and my main point is that the rape didn't ruin anything. Sansa has always taken a lot of punishment in order to survive, which doesn't necessarily make her weak. She just know the strength of herself.
Can't see what charming him would've helped.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Even if she wasn't successful, she would be doing SOMETHING to improve her situation and not wait until Stannis/Littlefinger come to help her. "Stop being a bystander", why include this line at all if they were going to make her do nothing but take whatever the Boltons do with her. Why should it take a RAPE to actively seek revenge, it's not like she didn't have enough reasons since the moment she entered Winterfell?
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue May 19, 2015 5:08 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Even if she wasn't successful, she would be doing SOMETHING to improve her situation and not wait until Stannis/Littlefinger come to help her. "Stop being a bystander", why include this line at all if they were going to make her do nothing but take whatever the Boltons do with her. Why should it take a RAPE to actively seek revenge, it's not like she didn't have enough reasons since the moment she entered Winterfell?

It's not as much that as waiting to do something at the right moment. She'll probably convert Theon, and make him somewhat redeemable again, Theon will die and she'll escape or rule the north. No way it won't pay off tbh. Just can't see the problem with the rape, since it seems realistic that women would be treated that way in this world where men gets their cocks cut off at any time.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 19, 2015 5:55 pm

GRRM wrote:"I am getting a flood of emails and off-topic comments on this blog about tonight's episode of GAME OF THRONES. It's not unanticipated.

The comments... regardless of tone... have been deleted. I have been saying since season one that this is not the place to debate or discuss the TV series. Please respect that.

There are better places for such discussions: Westeros, Tower of the Hand, Watchers on the Wall, Winter Is Coming, the comments sections of the television critics who regularly follow the show: James Hibberd, Alyssa Rosenberg, Mo Ryan, James Poniewozik, and their colleagues. I am sure all those sites will be having a healthy debate.

I have a lot of fans asking me for comment.

Let me reiterate what I have said before.

How many children did Scarlett O'Hara have? Three, in the novel. One, in the movie. None, in real life: she was a fictional character, she never existed. The show is the show, the books are the books; two different tellings of the same story.

There have been differences between the novels and the television show since the first episode of season one. And for just as long, I have been talking about the butterfly effect. Small changes lead to larger changes lead to huge changes. HBO is more than forty hours into the impossible and demanding task of adapting my lengthy (extremely) and complex (exceedingly) novels, with their layers of plots and subplots, their twists and contradictions and unreliable narrators, viewpoint shifts and ambiguities, and a cast of characters in the hundreds.

There has seldom been any TV series as faithful to its source material, by and large (if you doubt that, talk to the Harry Dresden fans, or readers of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, or the fans of the original WALKING DEAD comic books)... but the longer the show goes on, the bigger the butterflies become. And now we have reached the point where the beat of butterfly wings is stirring up storms, like the one presently engulfing my email.

Prose and television have different strengths, different weaknesses, different requirements.

David and Dan and Bryan and HBO are trying to make the best television series that they can.

And over here I am trying to write the best novels that I can.

And yes, more and more, they differ. Two roads diverging in the dark of the woods, I suppose... but all of us are still intending that at the end we will arrive at the same place.

In the meantime, we hope that the readers and viewers both enjoy the journey. Or journeys, as the case may be. Sometimes butterflies grow into dragons."

Link
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:
Freeza wrote:

+1 :clap:

+2

Last episode is GOT's worst reviewed episode of all time. The weekly imgur improved my mood though.

https://i.imgur.com/pHd31CE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UwD7wcD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nBMhYGK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AWp6XtV.jpg
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 pm

I for one think everyone should just calm the *bleep* down.
Jesus we still have 4 episodes to go. Let's finish it and by then we will see where we stand.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Tue May 19, 2015 6:48 pm

So much tears in this thread

this forum rofl
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Great debate tbh.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Tue May 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Agreed.

Let's see what this does to Sansa now.
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 19, 2015 7:20 pm

IMO the whole scene was done for Theon. I've given up on show Sansa now. But I know exactly what they are going to do in the final episodes.

The scene was from Theon's perspective. It was a way to remind him of what he has done and his actions leading to bran-rickon going away, sansa being raped and Robb being killed. I am sure that scene was the final nail in his redemption arc.

Just wondering if he kills Ramsay or if Sansa does it. Makes more sense if Theon does it.

but I expect theon and Sansa to work together now with the help of those northerners who still care about the starks. Maybe run away and meet Stannis on the way and plan a full on revenge or whatever.

I know freeza doesn't find sansa interesting, but that's the show's fault for making her like this. She is one of the most interesting characters IMO, specially how she develops over the years and shows signs of becoming the next cersei. Let's hope they use the awful rape scene into something positive.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Inside the episode #6

A Father's Death (Iain Glen and Peter Dinklage)

House of Black and White & The Hall of Faces

GRRM on Arya & The Hall of Faces

Episode #7 preview
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue May 19, 2015 9:24 pm

I still maintain this can make Sansa a stronger character. I do think that, having read a lot of response here, this is more about Theon's development, but I really think Sansa's reaction will be key to her own progression as a character. If D&D do this right, they might just redeem themselves for what we just saw. This is far from the end of her as a potentially good character on the show.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Tue May 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Freeza wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:Even if she wasn't successful, she would be doing SOMETHING to improve her situation and not wait until Stannis/Littlefinger come to help her. "Stop being a bystander", why include this line at all if they were going to make her do nothing but take whatever the Boltons do with her. Why should it take a RAPE to actively seek revenge, it's not like she didn't have enough reasons since the moment she entered Winterfell?

It's not as much that as waiting to do something at the right moment. She'll probably convert Theon, and make him somewhat redeemable again, Theon will die and she'll escape or rule the north.  No way it won't pay off tbh. Just can't see the problem with the rape, since it seems realistic that women would be treated that way in this world where men gets their cocks cut off at any time.

No he wont. I am pretty sure about that. The writers wouldnt have invested this much time and energy in his story if his role was meant to be cut off after 1 mission (If that mission approaches quickly that is.)
Now more so as he occupied the central spotlight in the latest infamous sequence.
A big positive from the rape scene is that They now have got the ammo to carry that reek arc really nicely now.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Glory wrote:
Freeza wrote:

It's not as much that as waiting to do something at the right moment. She'll probably convert Theon, and make him somewhat redeemable again, Theon will die and she'll escape or rule the north.  No way it won't pay off tbh. Just can't see the problem with the rape, since it seems realistic that women would be treated that way in this world where men gets their cocks cut off at any time.

No he wont. I am pretty sure about that. The writers wouldnt have invested this much time and energy in his story if his role was meant to be cut off after 1 mission (If that mission approaches quickly that is.)
Now more so as he occupied the central spotlight in the latest infamous sequence.
A big positive from the rape scene is that They now have got the ammo to carry that reek arc really nicely now.

Ned, Oberyn, Khal, Danys brother hmm

Nothing is safe for the men tbh, character development means shit.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 am

None of them lived for more than one season though :coffee:

But lol@glory for still thinking the writers have any plan at all drunken
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 20, 2015 2:49 am

I'm really interested as to what LF could do with an army of the Vale in winterfell.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed May 20, 2015 3:01 am

I hope he uses it to attack Winterfell(to help northerners) from one side while Stannis does it from the other.

But then if he really wants to be the warden of the north, that will not go well with Stannis

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 43 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next