Jay29
MJ
Vlad the Impaler
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Sri
45 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Winter Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 26 Empty Re: The Official Winter Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:06

I think if we just became a counter attacking team, we wouldn't need to sign anyone. We always want possession but when we get it we don't have a plan to break down teams that just sit back and defend.

Our approach to the game makes Sanchez almost useless a majority of the time. Same with Walcott and a few others

VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Winter Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 26 Empty Re: The Official Winter Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by El Gunner Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:25

I became the calm, little center of
the world. I was the Zen master. Smile
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:27

Meh

Welbeck should be back soon
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:36

El Gunner wrote:I became the calm, little center of
the world. I was the Zen master. Smile

:bow:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:45

Think we need Cavani tbf imho fwiw.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon 31 Aug 2015, 18:42

Our financial situation has improved, but even though there's money to be spent on great & expensive players, we're still not at parity with the likes of the Manchester clubs, Chelsea, etc. Those clubs can afford to splash out very big on numerous transfers. (And even they don't always get what they want.) Arsenal have to be a little more shrewd and opportunistic even while enjoying the luxury end of the market (all but the most expensive players). Which is how we got Mesut and Alexis, and even poached less elite but useful/promising players like Welbeck, Chambers, etc. But if the market isn't quite throwing up those same opportunities in the areas that will help Arsenal, things get tricky.

Nobody would deny the squad could be improved in a few key areas, but at the same time, the better the squad is--and this one is the best we've had in several seasons, no doubt--the more difficult it is to not simply find but acquire the players who will improve the team. Bit of a catch-22 in terms of satisfying fans' transfer expectations. Transfer inactivity seems less than ideal, for sure. I would love, or have loved, to see 1-2 good signings follow Cech. But at the same time, if the squad finds real form, they'll make us forget about that inactivity.

(Jay, as always, is a voice of reason. Calm, cool reason.)
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 18:55

Problem is, reason is folly on deadline day. Sad

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:00

Rennes trying to sign Joel Campbell from Arsenal. - Inforsport+
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:06

One of our many Internet Bullshit Artists @wearethenorthbank tweeted that he's heard Arsenal are still working on one deal.

I guess we'll see if any news breaks tonight or tomorrow morning. Remember the deadline is at 18:00 this year, not 23:00.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:12

Hopefully a striker, though it's more likely a U20 AM.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:21

Adrian Ramos maybe hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:24

Though, it still is upsetting to hear Wenger (and many fans) use the "we can't win the title because we can't financially compete with Chelsea and the Manchester clubs", excuse.

We can't spend quite as much as them, no. But we can spend significantly more than what we have been spending, but Wenger and the board just don't want to. It is an absolute joke that all we bought this summer was a goal keeper, despite however good he is. We can't complain about how the finances make things unfair when we get outspent by Bournemouth in a summer transfer window.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:26

VendettaRed07 wrote:Though, it still is upsetting to hear Wenger (and many fans) use the "we can't win the title because we can't financially compete with Chelsea and the Manchester clubs", excuse.

We can't spend quite as much as them, no. But we can spend significantly more than what we have been spending, but Wenger and the board just don't want to. It is an absolute joke that all we bought this summer was a goal keeper, despite however good he is. We can't complain about how the finances make things unfair when we get outspent by Bournemouth in a summer transfer window.

It's bullshit.

We have ÂŁ70m sitting there but can't sign two players...
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:26

Hopefully a striker as well

I have seen enough of Coquelin to say he is a beast and we can't find anyone better than him who is available.

Although Fekir is more than welcome
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:44

Nerman :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:53

RealGunner wrote:Hopefully a striker as well

I have seen enough of Coquelin to say he is a beast and we can't find anyone better than him who is available.

In most of the games I've seen with him, Coquelin did exactly what you would want a 'top DM' (or however you want to call it) to do. Get into the right challenges, hassle opposition players, intercept passes, win balls and guide those balls into own possession (without necessarily being a flamboyant passer).

So I agree, you don't need to cry for a 'top DM' as if there was a glaring lack, or as if Coquelin couldn't be considered that just because he wasn't expected to be that.

That doesn't mean though that you don't need depth in that position, or possibly equal, close to equal, competition.

But I guess Arteta is supposed to play a role too again, of course he can't do the things Coquelin does AT ALL hmm

With the striker, I feel it's the opposite.
With Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott, Akbom you have more than enough depth.
Problem of course is that Giroud and Welbeck is doubling down on upper end mediocrity, while Walcott IMO is only suitable as a striker if you have space.

So there Wenger isn't wrong to not just buy 'some striker', You don't need some striker, you'd need an improvement.
And these are rare. Safe to say Wenger doesn't rate Higuain that much more highly than Giroud as urban does.

I'd agree that Wenger maybe overrates Giroud a bit too much if he passes on ALL those strikers that were available, but it's not like there are obvious no-brainer upgrades running around waiting to be plucked.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:59

Welbeck and Walcott really aren't competition or strikers we can use for depth. They are wingers who look lost when they play centrally. I really like both but they aren't competition or good rotation options for Giroud imo. A target forward who can lead the line is a must. We play like a headless chicken when Giroud doesn't play.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:02

Hapless_Hans wrote:

In most of the games I've seen with him, Coquelin did exactly what you would want a 'top DM' (or however you want to call it) to do. Get into the right challenges, hassle opposition players, intercept passes, win balls and guide those balls into own possession (without necessarily being a flamboyant passer).

So I agree, you don't need to cry for a 'top DM' as if there was a glaring lack, or as if Coquelin couldn't be considered that just because he wasn't expected to be that.

That doesn't mean though that you don't need depth in that position, or possibly equal, close to equal, competition.

But I guess Arteta is supposed to play a role too again, of course he can't do the things Coquelin does AT ALL hmm

Problem of course is that Giroud and Welbeck is doubling down on upper end mediocrity, while Walcott IMO is only suitable as a striker if you have space.

So there Wenger isn't wrong to not just buy 'some striker', You don't need some striker, you'd need an improvement.
And these are rare. Safe to say Wenger doesn't rate Higuain that much more highly than Giroud as urban does.

I'd agree that Wenger maybe overrates Giroud a bit too much if he passes on ALL those strikers that were available, but it's not like there are obvious no-brainer upgrades running around waiting to be plucked.

Yep agreed. Arteta seems like a great player to bring around 70th minute if we want to control the match but we do need some as a backup to Coquelin. Or if we can find, as good.

Lots of rumours going that Wenger is in Paris. Rabiot seems to be the target.

Strange but I'll take him.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:05

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:06

Wenger, Dare to Zlatan

pls
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:09

That ship sailed when we asked Zlatan for trial.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:09

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Some striker > no striker imo.

Giroud is legit our only striker lmfao, that's mind boggling
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:34

FPL says Welbeck is a Forward though, as is Campbell Razz

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:42

Plays centre only when Giroud is injured/needs a rest.

Should say that I'm pro-Welbeck starting too but Wenger needs some convincing to bench world class Giroud.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:54

Welbeck is more of a striker than Walcott imo. But I agree, both seem to be at their best in counters.
Arsenal rarely play counter football, no?

That's why I thought it was strange the other day when Wenger started Giroud and then brought on Walcott when you were crowding the opposition for a goal late on.
Was it Liverpool?

Seemed like the exact wrong order. Walcott is useless parked in the 6 yard box.

No doubt Giroud is the weakest point in Arsenal's first 11 now, I don't disagree.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by mani88 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 21:11

The problem is not giroud or Walcott or welbeck but when to use which skill set, because all of them have different traits. Like Walcott started against Newcastle but giroud would have been better so that Ramsey and Alexis can play off him, which Walcott simply doesn't allow. We can achieve better things with these strikers but only we apply a scenario based approach as to which should play when!!
mani88
mani88
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next