If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

+21
Cruijf
Curtinho
Doc
Myesyats
Mamad
Hapless_Hans
The Demon of Carthage
Onyx
Bankz
Harmonica
RED
free_cat
LeBéninois
BarrileteCosmico
futbol_bill
futbol
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Lucifer
jibers
Firenze
McAgger
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:57 pm

LeBéninois wrote:
futbol_bill wrote:I assume you have looked up this on Wikipedia. Back then, it wasn't a 2 team liga. Bilbao was more the more dangerous opponent. When jibers is saying Barca declined to participate it was at the beginning of Madrid's dominance. In those days they didn't have the squad depth to play in multiple competitions and thus total dominance in European and getting 2 ligas was quite remarkable. Besides I am the only one here that saw both teams. Granted I was a young kid, but that team with Di Stefano and Puskas was awesome.

May I ask how old are you ?

As you saw both teams, are you saying RM of that era was better in your opinion ? Maybe not better , greater let's say .

I am 68. That Madrid team was the greatest of all time IMO

futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Jibers, i don't really disagree with you, I do believe that the Ajax team was great. Maybe it is just my childhood memories but to me that Madrid team was the best ever. If we look into the entire history of CL / European Cup, this current decade of Barca clubs rank very high IMO. The other that comes to mind is Milan.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:03 pm

futbol_bill wrote:I assume you have looked up this on Wikipedia. Back then, it wasn't a 2 team liga. Bilbao was more the more dangerous opponent. When jibers is saying Barca declined to participate it was at the beginning of Madrid's dominance. In those days they didn't have the squad depth to play in multiple competitions and thus total dominance in European and getting 2 ligas was quite remarkable. Besides I am the only one here that saw both teams. Granted I was a young kid, but that team with Di Stefano and Puskas was awesome.

Sure but in those days European football lagged far behind South American, Di Stefano had to leave River because he couldn't break into the team :coffee:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

rofl
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

rofl
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Even if they do they still lack that special something that Pep's team had imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Onyx wrote:Even if they do they still lack that special something that Pep's team had imo.

If I was a Barça fan, I wouldn't mind not having that 'special something' as long as I'm winning everything with Lucho.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:01 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Sure but in those days European football lagged far behind South American, Di Stefano had to leave River because he couldn't break into the team :coffee:

rofl LOL, and I had thought you were a serious poster!!!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:03 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:
Onyx wrote:Even if they do they still lack that special something that Pep's team had imo.

If I was a Barça fan, I wouldn't mind not having that 'special something' as long as I'm winning everything with Lucho.

I meant more in terms them being the 'greatest of all time'. Pep's team were more revolutionary.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Typical Hames thread tbh.

Brainless hyperbole.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Honestly me and 90% of people here can't answer this question because we haven't seen much of the pre 2000 football.

how can i compare a team that played in 70s era and compare it to Today's teams?

different eras, different measures.

and you sure can say quality is gone when an average player like Ronaldo is picked as one of the top two players in the world for such a long time.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Agreed.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:45 pm

So I think we can agree that both Ajax with Cruff and Pep's Barca were revolutionary. But I look at the Barca teams of the past decade from Rijkaard to Pep (ignore the couple of interims) to Luis Enrique as a dynasty. That team is likely the best of all time or at least up there with the Real Madrid of 55-60 and the Ajax of 70-73.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Typical Hames thread tbh.

Brainless hyperbole.

His Lewa leading Bayern to UCL glory is still pending though.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Doc wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:Typical Hames thread tbh.

Brainless hyperbole.

His Lewa leading Bayern to UCL glory is still pending though.

Right Laughing

That's another one of those Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:51 pm

First 100 games:

If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time? - Page 2 100-games-luis-enrique-1454673533065

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Those are absolutely staggering numbers.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:57 pm

If Luis Enrique does get the treble again this year, he will have done what NO COACH ever has done. Perhaps then, this bullshit criticism of him will cease. Besides having a 100 game better record than any other Barca coach, he also has something else positive going for him. He is a fellow asturiano!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:19 pm

futbol_bill wrote:If Luis Enrique does get the treble again this year, he will have done what NO COACH ever has done. Perhaps then, this bullshit criticism of him will cease. Besides having a 100 game better record than any other Barca coach, he also has something else positive going for him. He is a fellow asturiano!

TBH people suffer from nostalgia, myself included on the occasion. Perception never matches actual reality. This will go down as the greatest achievement in terms of trophy hauls in modern football. They also have the chance of winning 5 trophies in one season, a Quintuple, a Feat that no team has achieved since Celtic in the 66/67 season.

People get to caught up with the Pep love and they forget that in Peps final few seasons a lot of people were calling Barcelona boring. I think this weird hate for Enrique is on this forum only. TBH, he shouldn't be compared to Pep, they both did well for the team.

It's like some of the fan boys here arguing over who is better out of MSN and who was motm Laughing

That's when you know your team is too successful.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:46 am

Barcelona have won 9 of their first 10 games in 2016 (with +27 goal difference), best start of a year since 1956 (10 wins)

CWC curse? hmm

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:06 am

Tbh the way Futbol is hyping Barca you'd think he's trying to reverse jinx hmm
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:19 am

I've reached a point in my GLife where I realized that I'm beyond the GL jinx. Basically I've mastered it. hmm

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kebab Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:46 am

one thing is interesting for me, no matter who comes and who goes barcelona still playing best football. busquets iniesta alves and messi only players from 2008 but barcelona is still barcelona. do players get better in barcelona or they buy better players all the time. would suarez and neymar perform in the same level in R.madrid?
Kebab
Kebab
Cant go to the last pages in mobile version. There is no page numbers

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Meh something just doesn't feel right calling a team the GOAT when it has a defence of Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Alba

Nothing against Alves and Pique of course but the other two. You can of course argue that Pique and Alves are past their peak maybe
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:22 pm

What has messi got to do with this ffs!!!

Btw, I realize that the greatest haters of barca players/coaches/staffs are the barca fans themselves.. Laughing
incredible tbh

Guardiola, Neymar, Enrique, Messi, Iniesta, Alves etc :facepalm:
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Interesting, quite frankly it's the same over in the Real Madrid section.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next